Climate XChange Raffling off a new Tesla

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumping the thread? I'm staying pat with two tickets, thanks. If I could buy all of them, I might as well buy a Tesla. And it's really hard to spread the word on this. I want you to get your message out, but I really want a Tesla, and it's conflicting. Last number I saw was 980, so should be over 1000 by now. I'm predicting 1300 to 1500 at the end, unless more people double down who haven't yet. I still don't see it in any of my news feeds. I could go old school and write letters to the editors. Probably somebody still reads them. But you need to light a fire under your PR team, this should've sold out by now.

I recognize all of the words but don't understand how to translate them into action.

What/who are the online news services?

How does one submit to them? (Sounds like S&M.)

Newsfeed subscribers.... as in RSS? Or as in something in a Facebook feed? Or... something else?

This PR person spent his career developing Mach & Unix system software before he got forced out of a development role by a crowd of pitchfork-wielding fellow engineers...

Thanks,
Alan

LeftieBiker said:
I think he means you have to submit this as a "news story" to the online news services, so it gets sent to newsfeed subscribers as a news story.

Sorry Alan, I thought you mentioned on TMC a while back that someone at CXC had done a press release. I've got no PR experience myself, but I'm willing to see what I can get out there in an amateur way. I'll consult the almighty Google.

There *was* a press release. I'm happy to go kick our communications person. It's fun. But I don't know what to demand of her in this context.

There have been articles and ads and whatnot. Facebook posts. Tweets. I would be the absolutely LAST person to claim that I understand and can successfully engage with this world of social media. So please if you have suggestions, let me know. I am not particularly bright but I am capable of working diligently.

And as for your personal efforts.... well.... I'm full of a mixture of gratitude and appreciation and embarrassment.

Anyway: thank you!

Alan

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Sorry Alan, I thought you mentioned on TMC a while back that someone at CXC had done a press release. I've got no PR experience myself, but I'm willing to see what I can get out there in an amateur way. I'll consult the almighty Google.

Hi, @TomT,

I am very sorry that you are having trouble getting your ticket from us!

If you are the person I'm thinking of, you queried [email protected] on December 19 at 6:53 p.m. You had purchased your ticket on December 8. I responded to you later that same evening, December 19, apologizing and including your ticket. I have no other record of a query from you.

If you are indeed the person in real life I think you might be, I will call you tomorrow at your phone number ending in 4837 so that we can figure out what is going wrong and fix it. I notice that my reply to you went from the [email protected] email address rather than my own personal email address, making me wonder if something on your end doesn't like that particular email address. I'll try re-sending the Dec 19 email from my personal account in a moment.

Thank you for your (forced) patience with us.

Thanks,
Alan

TomT said:
Hmm... I ordered a ticket, my Amex shows it was charged for said ticket, but I have heard nothing and have not yet received a ticket... Numerous queries to the email addresses of record for the raffle folks have gone unanswered... Not a good way to run a railroad.

I guess I'll have to request a chargeback if nothing happens by the raffle draw date...

I've posted to another forum, this one an old salon-type, and I belatedly thought to post it to the Facebook page I created under another name just to be able to access Facebook. I think that one factor the Facebook newsfeed algorithm takes into account when determining 'newsworthy' items is the number of reposts on the site, so...

I've got no specific advice for them as I have no real idea how to go about it, but so far I've emailed insideevs, green car congress, and transport evolved. Even if they ran the story before, Elon's talk in Paris gives it a new angle, so maybe they'll pick it up again. You'd think a chance at an almost totally free Tesla would attract more attention.

You'd think a chance at an almost totally free Tesla would attract more attention.

How is it "almost totally free"??? It looks like you may be able to get a Tesla for free and some cash back from them to boot, by getting a less expensive model, if I understand correctly...

Yeah, you could do it that way. But I'd probably go for a P90 with dual chargers and even if I could stay within CXC's award amount, MA taxes will add up to more than the $5,500 cash the winner gets as well (I wouldn't need the electrician)

Of course, if you opted for an X, I've heard they top out around $150k fully optioned, so it's much less than totally free.

Depends on what you want.

Thank you, kind sir!

LeftieBiker said:
I've posted to another forum, this one an old salon-type, and I belatedly thought to post it to the Facebook page I created under another name just to be able to access Facebook. I think that one factor the Facebook newsfeed algorithm takes into account when determining 'newsworthy' items is the number of reposts on the site, so...

Hi, @DNAinaGoodWay,

Some of the sites, like electrek.co, just notice things and write about them. Others, like cleantechnica.com, have very supportive management and once they notice something are very happy to write about it. Some authors/writers/bloggers are blown away by the raffle and when they understand the tax thing are even more impressed. Still others don't seem particularly interested.

I do think that people are slightly put off by a raffle. There's an element of self-interest involved: it's a fund-raiser! For me, the slight negative association is vastly outweighed by the large positives. At this point, I can safely say that MANY people have heard about carbon pricing, or had it elevated in their consciousness, due to this raffle. The raffle is definitely doing double-duty very effectively.

I've taken your list below and added it to mine.

Thanks,
Alan

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I've got no specific advice for them as I have no real idea how to go about it, but so far I've emailed insideevs, green car congress, and transport evolved. Even if they ran the story before, Elon's talk in Paris gives it a new angle, so maybe they'll pick it up again. You'd think a chance at an almost totally free Tesla would attract more attention.

I haven't emphasized this angle primarily because when I first devised the prize structure it never even OCCURRED TO ME that someone would configure a less expensive car. Shows my bias, eh? I was primarily concerned that someone would want to toss in even more options, which they can, with their own cash.

But it's absolutely the case that if you configure a less expensive version of the vehicle, the difference winds up back in your hands. Tax situation remains the same, including CXC payment to US IRS.

Alan

LeftieBiker said:
You'd think a chance at an almost totally free Tesla would attract more attention.

How is it "almost totally free"??? It looks like you may be able to get a Tesla for free and some cash back from them to boot, by getting a less expensive model, if I understand correctly...

Yes, this is all true.

We picked $5K towards state vehicle taxes because those taxes vary per-state and hard to take into account in advance. Didn't want to run through the tax codes of 50 states.

That said, I've modeled out some scenarios and am quite hopeful that when the winner also factors in the $7500 federal tax credit and in some states a per-state credit or rebate (e.g., $2500 in MA), that the winner will come out net zero re car+fees+taxes. Probably in some cases with a positive result, even if spending the full amount on the car.

It's all these complications that caused me to put "No Pain" in quotes and cause a lot of text and discussion / rules in the raffle. So hard to account for all possible expenses and taxes and fees. So really, we're taking away a HUGE AMOUNT of the pain but can't literally promise that you will not have to put some dollars out somewhere, or be temporarily out some money until the next tax season comes along and you take advantage of the credits.

Hope all this makes sense.

Alan

P.S. I expect that you could order an X that came in at <= $103K and thus arrive at a car config that was pretty painless. Such a config is not available today but one hopes may be available soon, now that the vehicles are shipping and you can smell Tesla's anxiety to open up the ordering generally!

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Yeah, you could do it that way. But I'd probably go for a P90 with dual chargers and even if I could stay within CXC's award amount, MA taxes will add up to more than the $5,500 cash the winner gets as well (I wouldn't need the electrician)

Of course, if you opted for an X, I've heard they top out around $150k fully optioned, so it's much less than totally free.

Depends on what you want.

Made it onto my iPhone Apple news feed, and I've never heard of ValueWalk, they must have just picked it up somehow.

Buy A Tesla Motors Inc Raffle Ticket To Win A Model S Or Model X - ValueWalk
https://apple.news/A5CY9gOMXMPWkAYawnAeYbQ

Ack! Had to ask the author for a correction on their Facebook page, he has Tesla running the raffle. Sloppy journalism!

Back