Climate XChange Raffling off a new Tesla

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pollux666 said:
I haven't emphasized this angle primarily because when I first devised the prize structure it never even OCCURRED TO ME that someone would configure a less expensive car. Shows my bias, eh? I was primarily concerned that someone would want to toss in even more options, which they can, with their own cash.

But it's absolutely the case that if you configure a less expensive version of the vehicle, the difference winds up back in your hands. Tax situation remains the same, including CXC payment to US IRS.

Alan

If I won I'd want to honor the spirit of the raffle, if not the letter. That would mean, for me, a new P70S with AWD and a few other options, and hopefully, about $30k back from Tesla. The latter would let me keep the car, by taking care of some other needs I have, like home repairs. Why doesn't Tesla offer a cloth interior, dammit?

LeftieBiker said:
If I won I'd want to honor the spirit of the raffle, if not the letter. That would mean, for me, a new P70S with AWD and a few other options, and hopefully, about $30k back from Tesla. The latter would let me keep the car, by taking care of some other needs I have, like home repairs. Why doesn't Tesla offer a cloth interior, dammit?

They do, is the first selection on the left in the interior configurator. Basically standard with cloth since all the other options are cost adders.

edit: I just went into the configurator again and it looks like they removed the $1500 old generation seats, so now it is the multi-pattern cloth seat or the $2500 new generation leather seats. Apparently the Model X has some additional non leather options (fake leather) as well, but it probably won't make it into the S until they get caught up on X production.

It strikes me that your proposal is entirely in the right spirit.

Obviously, I didn't think enough about configs that didn't use all the cash. But the goal is to put someone in a Tesla, not the EXACT Tesla that I happened to like back in July. And indeed, one of the BIG pluses of all this was build-to-order, so that we could feel good that someone would get EXACTLY the car they wanted (subject to the total prize value), and not some random white Mercedes that the dealer didn't feel would sell right away so why not get a tax deduction for it.

Alan

LeftieBiker said:
Pollux666 said:
I haven't emphasized this angle primarily because when I first devised the prize structure it never even OCCURRED TO ME that someone would configure a less expensive car. Shows my bias, eh? I was primarily concerned that someone would want to toss in even more options, which they can, with their own cash.

But it's absolutely the case that if you configure a less expensive version of the vehicle, the difference winds up back in your hands. Tax situation remains the same, including CXC payment to US IRS.

Alan

Someone... some lucky someone... someone from this thread or elsewhere... is gonna be spending New Year's Day locked in the Tesla Design Studio 'cuz they're gonna be configuring the S or X they win from our Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle!!!! With fees, taxes, HPWC, electrician!!!! I am psyched!!!!

Or heck, I dunno, maybe they'll just take the $100K cash and buy 4 (5?) Leafs, one for each member of their family....! :)

I'm pretty sure I'd get the P70 with AWD, cold weather option, and some cash back. I think I can live with "only" 200+ miles of range...Failing that, a nice certified pre-owned Tesla, to share my newly-cleaned garage with my new Zero SR...

In 50 hours and 45 minutes, 50-100 semi-inebriated Climate XChange New Years Eve Party Rafflers will make a speakerphone call to someone who it turns out will have paid $250 for a brand-new Model S or X valued at up to $110K depending on how they configure their Prize.

LeftieBiker said:
Will this be streamed live, or are you Rocking it 1975 style?

Where's Bruce when I need him?

If you go to

http://www.climate-xchange.org/tesla-raffle

and look just under the flaming red text emphasizing the nearness of the raffle closure, you'll find a button labeled "Watch Live Drawing"...

(Thanks for the opportunity to naturally and organically work in another posting of the raffle link, in such as smooth way that no one will even notice!)

Alan

Pollux666 said:
... someone who it turns out will have paid $250 for a brand-new Model S or X valued at up to $110K...
Initially. Then they will likely pay another $30K the the IRS for federal income tax and perhaps another $5K to $10K to their state.

In other words, they will pay as much as they would for a LEAF, but the maintenance and fueling costs will be much higher.

RegGuheert said:
Pollux666 said:
... someone who it turns out will have paid $250 for a brand-new Model S or X valued at up to $110K...
Initially. Then they will likely pay another $30K the the IRS for federal income tax and perhaps another $5K to $10K to their state.

In other words, they will pay as much as they would for a LEAF, but the maintenance and fueling costs will be much higher.

I guess someone has not been paying attention. All those taxes are included in the prize! As well as a home charging station and some money to pay for an electrician.

palmermd said:
I guess someone has not been paying attention. All those taxes are included in the prize! As well as a home charging station and some money to pay for an electrician.
Nice! Thanks for the correction!

Back