iOS Version of LeafSpy Pro development discussion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
astrorob said:
dumb question that i could not find an answer for by searching:

can Leaf Spy talk to the bluetooth version of WattsUp instead of using one of these bluetooth dongles?

thanks,

rob
WattsUp does not connect to the Leaf OBDII port so I don't understand the question. It can not replace the function of a Bluetooth OBDII adapter. This is also the iOS development support thread and I don't think the WattsUp can even be linked to an iOS device.

What are you using the WattsUp for?

The only function I can see using the WattsUp for is to monitor the charge power when charging from 120 volts.

Turbo3 said:
astrorob said:

can Leaf Spy talk to the bluetooth version of WattsUp instead of using one of these bluetooth dongles?

thanks,

rob
WattsUp does not connect to the Leaf OBDII port so I don't understand the question. It can not replace the function of a Bluetooth OBDII adapter. This is also the iOS development support thread and I don't think the WattsUp can even be linked to an iOS device.

The only function I can see using the WattsUp for is to monitor the charge power when charging from 120 volts.

I'm sorry - i really fat-fingered that. i am talking about your WattsLeft box with bluetooth. although now that i think about it, i suspect it can't talk to iOS because it does not have the stupid MFI i2c chip with the certificate, right?

rob

astrorob said:
Turbo3 said:
astrorob said:

thanks,

rob

I'm sorry - i really fat-fingered that. i am talking about your WattsLeft box with bluetooth. although now that i think about it, i suspect it can't talk to iOS because it does not have the stupid MFI i2c chip with the certificate, right?

rob
Ok, that makes more sense. As it turns out I have just ordered a Bluetooth 4.0 LE serial board that might be a replacement for the 2.0 that came with WattsLeft. I will be testing that out when it arrives and see if it can be linked to an iOS device.

But it would not be a replacement for an OBDII adapter but probably an addition as the data from WattsLeft is from the EV-CAN and at a much higher data rate than any OBDII adapter can send.

I will probably start another thread if I am able to link WattsLeft to LeafSpy running on iOS.

I suggest a switch for the communication mechanism with the ODB dongle: BT/Wifi/Auto. It seems like most users will buy one kind of dongle and stick to that, so it's kind of useless to have it report on wifi info, if I know I'm always going to be using my LELink. Retrying could likely also be more transparent, use different strategies when you know what kind of link you're looking for.

Thanks for the great app!

Turbo3 said:
Ok, that makes more sense. As it turns out I have just ordered a Bluetooth 4.0 LE serial board that might be a replacement for the 2.0 that came with WattsLeft. I will be testing that out when it arrives and see if it can be linked to an iOS device.

But it would not be a replacement for an OBDII adapter but probably an addition as the data from WattsLeft is from the EV-CAN and at a much higher data rate than any OBDII adapter can send.

I will probably start another thread if I am able to link WattsLeft to LeafSpy running on iOS.

OK thanks, keep us posted :)

rob

adriaanm said:
I suggest a switch for the communication mechanism with the ODB dongle: BT/Wifi/Auto. It seems like most users will buy one kind of dongle and stick to that, so it's kind of useless to have it report on wifi info, if I know I'm always going to be using my LELink. Retrying could likely also be more transparent, use different strategies when you know what kind of link you're looking for.

Thanks for the great app!
Future release will not try WiFi unless you have registered a SSID. For those who switch from WiFi to Bluetooth 4.0 LE you will be able to do a long click on the registered SSID in Settings to clear it.

Just got a new test version working with PLX's Kiwi 3 which is a Bluetooth 4.0 LE OBDII adapter. Here are some screenshots. Note the OBDII signature bottom center just above the date.

TmajFT.png

06vhpK.png

Will the iOS version of Leaf Spy be able to provide data to satisfy the battery warrant requiremen of an annual EV Battery Usage Report?

murraychalmers said:
My Leaf Spy pro IOS version seems to no longer work, what is the deal?
If you are referring to the latest test version the certificate expired on the 13th. I have a new test version using a new certificate waiting for Apple to review it but it looks like Apple reviewers are not working today so it probably won't be out until tomorrow.

-------------------------------
Good news. They are working today. App is currently being reviewed.

--------------------------------
Better news. Test version 1.2.8 is now available for testing.

I just downloaded v1.2.5 from iTunes. I bought the recommended LELink OBD2. Thanks for all the energy and effort that has gone into developing the software. It is a great community.

Rookie question: I'm just wondering if you all keep the LELink plugged into the car all the time or if you remove after each use? I know some adapters have on/off switch but I don't see one on the LELink.

Thanks,
Adam

The Bluetooth adapters use very little power. I leave mine in at all times and it makes no determinable impact on the car battery. I also have a WiFi Adapter that I bought first and it was quite warm at all times so it can be assumed that it is drawing quite a bit of power even when the car is off, not so with the Bluetooth.
Murray

Hey Jim/Turbo3 or anyone else using/testing the iCar 3 adapter (bluetooth 4.0/LE)
Does this have the same issue as the iCar 2, where it goes to sleep and the only way to rewake it is to unplug/replug?
This has no on/off switch, unlike the iCar 2, which at least on my copy had a on/off switch, but that switch didn't seem to do squat. Pressing while on didn't turn it off, Pressing while off didn't turn it on.
My iCar 3 worked the first time I plugged it in, didn't auto reconnect the next day, only unplug/replug made it show up again. Defective device or design flaw I don't know.

My iCAR3 has remained plugged in since I bought it. It shuts down 30 minutes after car is turned off. Restarts and my iPhone connects to it each time when I start the car. No switches, no plugging/unplugging.

It is WiFi.

donyjunk said:
Hey Jim/Turbo3 or anyone else using/testing the iCar 3 adapter (bluetooth 4.0/LE)
Does this have the same issue as the iCar 2, where it goes to sleep and the only way to rewake it is to unplug/replug?
This has no on/off switch, unlike the iCar 2, which at least on my copy had a on/off switch, but that switch didn't seem to do squat. Pressing while on didn't turn it off, Pressing while off didn't turn it on.
My iCar 3 worked the first time I plugged it in, didn't auto reconnect the next day, only unplug/replug made it show up again. Defective device or design flaw I don't know.
Yes, the Vgate iCar3 Bluetooth 4.0 LE works fine. Goes to sleep and wakes up when Leaf is turned on. I just tested it.

Test version 1.2.11 has been uploaded to iTunes for review and release. Adds special Charge Graph option. Here is what the Change Log says.

- A special Charge Graph feature has been added to handle the case when using WiFi and during a charge you switch away from LeafSpy. During the time LeafSpy is not in the foreground charge data will not be captured since iOS does not allow LeafSpy access to the WiFi adapter when in background mode. If you switch back and forth between LeafSpy in foreground and background during a charge you will end up with a strange Charge Graph missing data. This new option can be used to better view this type of Charge Graph by first expanding the graph to show the gaps and then optionally filling in the gaps using linear interpolation to generate the missing data. If you see ** after the x-axis unit's name this feature is available and accessed by swiping up or down to cycle between the three graph modes (raw data, add gaps, fill gaps).

I have included a sample Charge Graph you can use to test this feature out. Here is what it looks like.

Original Graph
GeMsPu.png

Graph with time gaps add. Fragmented but you can make out the shape of the plots.
cwCl75.png

Graph with gaps filled in with interpolated data. Now you can see it all.
J5qimH.png

Attachments

• Q30_1558.zip
    2 KB · Views: 9
Thanks, this is really helpful. My charge graphs previously looked supermessy because I would switch into and out of LSP since I got bored waiting while charging so I often switch to email or web browsing.

Good to be reminded that the iOS WiFi adapters can't be accessed with LSP in the background, hadn't thought of that as a possible benefit of a BT4.0 version instead.

I would have like the Vgate iCar 3 BT 4.0 version with it's auto power down except unlike Turbo3 and SalisburySam mine slept permanently once it slept and only unplugging and replugging would get it to reconnect. In another thread someone else concurred with my experience, so it seems that there are either different versions, manufacturers, and or imitation/fakes of the Vgate that don't act exactly alike.

Or maybe it varies by Leaf year/trim? I have a 2013 SV.

Interestingly, the BT 4.0 iCar3 I got went to sleep and never woke up (until un-/re-plugged):
http://amzn.com/B014ZXUUE8
2013 Leaf SV. Amazon link says model VG020, sent it back so I don't know the serial number.
Wonder if only specific serial numbers/firmware versions of the Vgate can wake up again.
Rots that iOS doesn't allow background wifi dongle access anymore, I guess turning GPS always on makes no difference in that case then. #$#$ing Apple.

Don

Turbo3 said:
Yes, the Vgate iCar3 Bluetooth 4.0 LE works fine. Goes to sleep and wakes up when Leaf is turned on. I just tested it.

Back