Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
AVTA baseline tests of Four 2015 Soul EV battery packs' capacity posted:

http://avt.inl.gov/fsev.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Three show ~30.4 kWh, and one ~30.5 kWh, all with ~400 miles on them.

If anyone knows the ~ build dates for these test cars:

VIN 1908, VIN 1918, VIN 1919, VIN 1920
Please post.

No degradation results posted, yet.
What will really be interesting is having the LEAF/FFE/Soul/Spark degradation results, as they use TMS methods that vary from none to air-cooled to liquid-cooled.

Via ievs:
Kia Charges Up For Soul EV Launch In Washington & Oregon
http://insideevs.com/kia-charges-up-for-soul-ev-launch-in-washington-oregon/

. . . According to Kia, 20 dealers in the Pacific Northwest (12 in Washington and 8 in Oregon) will initially sell the Soul EV.

Here’s the rundown of dealerships selling the Soul EV:

Washington dealers authorized to sell Soul EV include Auburn Valley Kia, Auburn; Hanson Kia, Olympia; Jerry Smith Kia, Burlington; Smith Kia of Bellingham, Bellingham; Dick Hannah Kia, Vancouver; West Hills Kia, Bremerton; Kia of Puyallup, Puyallup; Performance Kia; Everett; Chuck Olson Kia, Shoreline; Renton Kia, Renton; Car Pros Kia, Tacoma; Lee Johnson Kia, Kirkland

Oregon dealers authorized to sell Soul EV include Kiefer Kia, Eugene; Butler Kia, Medford; Weston Kia, Gresham; Team Kia of Bend, Bend; Beaverton Kia, Beaverton; Ron Tonkin Kia, Gladstone; Power Kia, Salem; Broadway Kia, Portland

To ready the area for the launch of the electric Soul, Kia added 10 new fast chargers at dealerships in the area. All 20 of the dealers selling the Soul EV are equipped with Level 2 chargers, but just 10 of the dealerships were “up-fitted” with DC fast chargers. . . .

Kia press release:

2016 KIA SOUL EV OVERVIEW
Kia Expands Eco-friendly and Affordable Soul EV Lineup for 2016

New 2016 Soul EV-e trim adds new value to the electric vehicle segment
New Sun & Fun Package for Soul EV+ (plus) adds a host of premium amenities, including panoramic sunroof

IRVINE, Calif., July 8, 2015 – The 2016 Soul EV marks the second year of Kia’s first mass-market zero emissions, battery electric vehicle. For 2016, the Soul EV is offered in three trims – Soul EV-e, Soul EV, Soul EV+ (plus) – up from two in 2015. Offering a long list of standard equipment at a lower price point, the Soul EV-e brings new value for those looking for a fun and funky alternative in the EV segment. The Soul EV+ continues as the range-topping trim, and is further enhanced for 2016 with the addition of the Sun & Fun Package. Additional 2016 enhancements standard across the Soul EV lineup include a charge port nozzle lock, an illuminated Aux/USB port, and two new exterior colors: Shadow Black and Bright Silver.

The new Soul EV-e provides versatility and affordability while offering a long list of standard equipment. Eco-conscious drivers will appreciate standard features that include a DC fast charge port, 6.6-killowatt onboard charger, 3.5-inch OLED Supervision cluster, smart key with push button start and a driver-only ventilation function that closes the passenger vents to help maximize efficiency based on vehicle occupancy. The Soul EV-e also includes heated front seats, heated leather-wrapped steering wheel, and FlexSteer™, as standard equipment.

The Soul EV trim carries over for 2016 with a number of standard premium features and content that adds to the Soul EV-e’s equipment list. Front and center is the capacitive touch 8-inch navigation2 touchscreen with Rear Camera Display3 and UVO EV Services2, Kia’s suite of telematics technology that incorporates the ability to search for charging stations, remotely check the state-of-charge and precondition the vehicle’s interior temperature through the user’s Smartphone. In addition, a heat pump HVAC system is standard, and helps improve energy efficiency to maximize driving range.

For 2016, the popular Soul EV+ (plus) is available with the new Sun & Fun Package, which includes a panoramic sunroof, LED interior lighting and speaker lights that pulse to the beats of the six-speaker audio system. Additional standard EV+ features include ventilated front passenger seats, heated rear outboard seats, leather trimmed seats, front and rear Park Assist, and power folding mirrors. . . .

Some more info on the Soul EV-e, including the price and that it will apparently only be offered in CA, via ievs:
2016 Kia Soul EV: New Less Expensive “e” Trim Level From $31,950, New Colors
http://insideevs.com/2016-kia-soul-ev-less-expensive-e-trim-level-from-31950-new-colors/

Some more info on the Soul EV-e, including the price and that it will apparently only be offered in CA, via ievs:
2016 Kia Soul EV: New Less Expensive “e” Trim Level From $31,950, New Colors
http://insideevs.com/2016-kia-soul-ev-less-expensive-e-trim-level-from-31950-new-colors/

Is it true that the Kia Soul EV locks the J1772 handle to the car and doesn't automatically release when done? If so, is there an option to disable?

A Kia Soul EV showed up at my work but I don't know the (very new to EVs) driver and haven't mailed them yet. They added their car to the table (on an internal web page @ work) and made notes similar to the notes in their entry I made about the i3 and e-Golf, which have non-configurable J1772 handle locks. They remain locked like a parasite even when charging's complete and there's no way yet to alter their behavior (ala the 3 position switch on '13+ Leafs).

cwerdna said:
Is it true that the Kia Soul EV locks the J1772 handle to the car and doesn't automatically release when done? If so, is there an option to disable?

A Kia Soul EV showed up at my work but I don't know the (very new to EVs) driver and haven't mailed them yet. They added their car to the table (on an internal web page @ work) and made notes similar to the notes in their entry I made about the i3 and e-Golf, which have non-configurable J1772 handle locks. They remain locked like a parasite even when charging's complete and there's no way yet to alter their behavior (ala the 3 position switch on '13+ Leafs).
Have you already read this thread? http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=368
Not a direct answer to your question, but might point you in the right direction. Alternatively, there's https://carmanuals2.com/kia/soul-2015-e ... nual-36666

Pages 23-24 discuss charging and the emergency port opening, but don't seem to directly address your question.

Via GCC:
Kia Motors America expands Soul EV availability to four additional states; 10 total
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/10/20151007-kia.html

Following the launch of the Soul EV (earlier post) late last year in California, along with sales beginning in Georgia, Texas, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii earlier this year, Kia Motors America (KMA) is expanding availability of its fully charged urban runabout into four new states: New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Maryland. KMA’s announcement will bring the total number of states selling the Soul EV to 10.

Nineteen Kia dealers will be certified to sell and service the Soul EV across these four states, and customers will have access to charging stations installed at these facilities. The Soul EV will be sold in eight New York dealerships, six New Jersey dealerships, three Maryland dealerships, and two Connecticut dealerships. From January through September, KMA has sold 727 units of the Soul EV, according to the monthly compilation by hybridcars.com. Soul EV sales in the Northeast will begin in the fourth quarter. . . .

Well, it does seem like the Kia Soul EV does have a charging lock. I tried to unplug one that was done charging @ work and couldn't. Not sure if really can't be disabled by the driver.

cwerdna said:
Well, it does seem like the Kia Soul EV does have a charging lock. I tried to unplug one that was done charging @ work and couldn't. Not sure if really can't be disabled by the driver.
Couldn't find any mention of charging lock in the (Canadian) owner's manual online, just press and hold the button while disconnecting.

GRA said:
cwerdna said:
Couldn't find any mention of charging lock in the (Canadian) owner's manual online, just press and hold the button while disconnecting.

Melted plug, perhaps?

Valdemar said:
Melted plug, perhaps?
Doubt it. I recall looking at the mechanism and seeing that there was something locking the handle in place/blocking the handle's latch.
mtndrew1 said:
The '16 Soul EV added a J1772 lock as a new feature. As mine is a '15 I don't know the configuration choices for this.
Wait... so does yours lock the J1772 handle to the car, esp. if the car's locked?

Is whatever behavior you have conducive to plug sharing if your car's locked? If your (doors locked) Soul EV's done charging over J1772, can I unplug you in order to plug my car in?

Like I said, my car is a '15 and does not have this functionality. I have no firsthand experience using it but know that it was added for 2016.

Edit: Further clarification, my 2015 Soul does not lock the connector to the car under any circumstance.

GRA said:
cwerdna said:
If I get a chance to, I will try again. I don't think it'll work. There's no way to hold (down) the button on the J1772 handle in any when its movement is restricted by something that physically blocks its movement. That's what I recall.

The microswitch inside the handle won't get pressed.

The 2016 EV owners manual can be found here: https://carmanuals2.com/get/kia-soul-ev-2016-owner-s-manual-53034

Page 22 states "Before connecting the charging connector, make sure the door lock is released.
When the door is locked, the charging connector lock system will be triggered. And the charging connector will not be connected."

Sounds like the J1772 connector is locked to the car whenever the doors are locked.

mtndrew1 said:
The 2016 EV owners manual can be found here: https://carmanuals2.com/get/kia-soul-ev-2016-owner-s-manual-53034

Page 22 states "Before connecting the charging connector, make sure the door lock is released.
When the door is locked, the charging connector lock system will be triggered. And the charging connector will not be connected."

Sounds like the J1772 connector is locked to the car whenever the doors are locked.
That must be it, the Canadian manual I referenced was for the 2015.

Not that ANY local dealer in the Chicago area (or for that matter any within several hundred miles of my zip code) has one of these in stock; but this Forbes article mentions that the Kia Soul EV is available nationally?? I must have missed that announcement; the feedback on other posts on Inside EV's, etc. has stated that Kia does have supply constraints on these as well I think due to the battery provider. Not a big EV seller anyway but too bad they don't have more available; could have been a contender.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aarongo...ic-cars-you-can-buy-right-now/3/#1cf44d1e768f

Selling 10K of these versus the over 200K that Nissan has sold world wide still makes Kia a very small player ...

http://insideevs.com/kia-sold-over-10000-soul-ev-worldwide/

Back