HOW TO: Make the VSP (noisemaker) button default to off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious about adding the "off" button back to my 2013 Leaf... I had it with the 2011, and used it every time out of habit. :lol: Hated that thing! The backup dings are just getting to be too much of an annoyance now, too. Only car in any given lot that dings like a petite little dandelion when backing up. :x

Earlier there was mention of just soldering a wire to pin 5 (unpopulated in the graphics above) which is likely the position of the now-removed "off" switch, and grounding it with a momentary pushbutton will emulate the "off" button of 2011-2012 LEAFs.

This sounds like a total winner - bringing back the awesome "VSP Off" button, in a way that's practically "Nissan sanctioned". :D

edit: Ahh-hah!!
2011-2012 LEAF: http://imgur.com/qG5wfOv

2013+ LEAF http://www.qfrf.com/vsp.jpg

Spot the difference?

edit: And it looks like you can get a second VDC (vehicle dynamic control - traction or stability control) switch, and install it as a VSP switch in the block, too. Seems that a few Nissans share the same switch - P/N 251451KA0A (available various places by a quick Google for $30-$50). Now, what connector to use... :D

FalconFour,

Did you ever wire up the VSP Off Button. I am very interested in this. Although I am not that much of a tech to know what I am looking for inside the leaf to knock this out. Any help would be great.

I did find the Digital Sound Off button. http://nissanparts.penceauto.com/p/Nissan__/Switch/52651402/251723NA0B.html

So it should be the same button as earlier leaf models.

Thanks

sorphin said:
After grabbing the wrong module the first time (they moved the VSP module to the left on the 2013)... It has been redesigned a bit.. the 'big chip' has changed to a D78F1834.

Interestingly enough.. they mark the pinout on the bottom of the board.. and still mention the VSP off switch. Also, it appears they put some 'blue crap' on the pins of all the chips, so you can't 'tamper' with them. Classy.

Pics.

8725196608_47789110e8_z.jpg

8724076455_e91eeb338d_z.jpg

The 2013 pinout shows (not sure if it's the same):
8725076364_c80bd4e777.jpg
Hmmm, wouldn't connecting the ground pin #1 to pin #5 default the VSP to off then?? based on the pinout info on the board.

Nevermind, I see that is correct based on further answers in the thread...

That'd be the same as holding the button down constantly... it probably wouldn't like that idea much. The button isn't a toggle switch, it's a momentary-push button. That's how they make it turn back on every time you turn the car on. When I had my 2011 LEAF, I just got in the habit of pushing the button each time.

I don't think actually adding the proper "VSP Off" button would be the right choice for 2013+ models, though, because the panel is a different layout now (4x2 instead of 3x2) and may use a different style of button - also, there's a light inside the button that is already going to a different place on the dash (the VSP indicator is now grouped with the "passenger airbag" indicator under the radio cluster). Kind of a tricky one.

I still haven't wired mine up, but I think I've just about resolved to simply drill a hole in a blank plate and add a generic pushbutton to it. That'd save me the hassle (or arguably, the impossibility) of finding the correct wiring connector that the buttons typically use, or hack-soldering to the pins of a shiny new switch. :)

FalconFour said:
... or hack-soldering to the pins of a shiny new switch. :)
I just found a momentary contact switch for the LEAF on eBay... WITH the connector still attached. They just cut the wires a few inches down! That saves hack-wiring. Oh, and the switch was $20. There's another still on eBay if you want to try it out for yourself. :mrgreen:

Msportronics said:
I have an easy solution for you all, and it will look factory.....
You tease! ;)

If you have a VSP off switch with wires that I can plug into the existing harness, I will have leftiebiker kiss you on the mouth. :mrgreen:

Sorry for the delayed update, I have been pretty busy at work. My neighbor had contacted me about turning the VSP off, which is how I found my way into this project. I have a reliable source for the factory Nissan switch at a cost around $20 with shipping. I am looking for a closer source to possibly drop that price in half. I have tested the switch and it works perfectly. I have a few sources for the connector and terminals, but I am attempting to find a local source that doesn't require a large minimum order. The pin allocation for the switch is as follows:

PIN #
1 Blank
2 VSP Indicator Light (Trigger from VSP Control Unit)
3 Ignition +12V Supply
4 Illumination Ground
5 Illumination +12V Supply
6 Ground
7 Switch Output (Trigger to VSP Control Unit)
8 Blank

I will try to get everything setup this week and hope for a shipment to arrive by early next week. I'll write up an install procedure and make a how-to video. Thank you for your patience.

:D

Can't wait to pick one of these up.

I do have one general question for everyone. I would imagine this type of Mod would void my factory warranty 3 years/36000miles. Would that be a correct? Even if it voids the warranty I would pick one up for after the warranty expires.

Love the work and thanks for working on this one.

It really depends how we go about the setup. I'm trying to work out the details. Building a jumper harness would be ideal. Utilizing stock connectors and allowing for a "plug-n'-play" installation would allow you to disconnect the system before taking it in to the dealer.

Good news, I have found a local supplier for the connectors and terminals that require no minimum order. Prices are reasonable and they have plenty of stock. I should have some time over the weekend to build the prototype harness and post results next week.

0210161113.jpg

Since the basic question here is how to change something (by adjustment) in the Leaf I thought I would ask a "change" question. With my new hearing aids, the turn signal sound for a right or left turn is horribly loud. Does anyone know if the sound level can be turned down or eliminated completely?

Depending on the cost for this kit I am in too. I have a bit of tinnitus and driving slowly for extended periods triggers it :(. It would be nice to toggle off in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway for example. It gets old real quick when you can't get up to speed or have your window down.

Got some time yesterday to get around to the prototype. Flawless results and a clean install. For those with the right knowledge and tools, I will gladly give out the design to build yourself. For those that just want to plug in and be done, let me know if you are interested and I'll do the math to see how cheap I can sell them for. I don't really care about making money on parts, so they will be billed at cost. The final revision will come with heat shrink, strain relief, and for a little extra I'll even label them. I will of course make an install video before shipping out the product and will be accessible to everyone publicly. Below the prototype is an example of the products I build and what to expect.

Cheers

0303160058a.jpg

0303160235a.jpg

0303160235.jpg

0303160235b.jpg

0303160235c.jpg

12357392_184790805198704_290961341_n1.jpg

12353931_1118879991485482_875260662_n1.jpg

This looks great! Any idea on the price for DIY and/or the plug-n-play version?
How much modification is needed to install it?

Shadow6363 said:
This looks great! Any idea on the price for DIY and/or the plug-n-play version?
How much modification is needed to install it?
Connectors and terminals come in around $15 and the factory switch is around $15 as well. Wire, heat shrink and strain relief will be another $10, but keep in mind I'm using all mil-spec material: Tefzel wiring, DR-25 heat shrink, and SCL for strain relief. Anyone doing it themselves can obviously use whatever material they would like. It takes an hour to build a harness, add another 15-20 minutes if you want it labeled with 3:1 heat shrink.

No modification is needed to install. Remove the glove box to get to the VSP module, remove the panel under the steering wheel to remove the bracket holding in the factory switches, plug everything in and secure the harness with ty-wraps. Put everything back together and it's as easy as that.

Back