Need new wiper blades

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have the length of the rear wiper rubber refill?

(the cheapest way to fix the fancy/custom wipers is just to do some extra fiddling to extract the rubber refill and its stiffeners and slide a new part in)

I don't have the car with me or I'd be posting that right now.

Arlington said:
Anyone have the length of the rear wiper rubber refill?

(the cheapest way to fix the fancy/custom wipers is just to do some extra fiddling to extract the rubber refill and its stiffeners and slide a new part in)

I don't have the car with me or I'd be posting that right now.

10 inches

I was thinking about replacing the blades on my 2013 this evening. They actually look fine at 2.5+ years old, but hey, why not? Then I read a few pages here. I think I'll just lease a new car in the Spring...

mwalsh said:
I'm very dubious about the substitutions, particularly the one from the Pathfinder. Anyway, I've not had a response to that email yet, so I'm not exactly sure what I'll end up with when the package comes. If I do get the substitutions, I'll let you know if they work out or not.

Funny this thread should come up again. Had these in since June and I'm already not very happy with the job they're doing. Is there a chance that the blades themselves have become weak over the last 5 years? That might be reason to replace the whole deal every once in a while instead of just going with the inserts. I've never had that happen before, on any car, but I'm willing to entertain it as a possibility.

If not, I don't think I'll be buying the Nissan inserts again. I really don't.

My 2013 S was leased for 36mo and 30k miles in Atlanta before I bought it a week ago and brought it to Boston.
All 3 OEM wipers were utterly worn out. Replaced both front ones with this kit of a 26" and a 16"
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NXRXH8Y

I just replaced with Rain-X wipers. They seem to perform & last longer in SoCal! Ya gotta love RainX!

LeftieBiker said:
Their software says it does not fit the 2013 Leaf. How are they working?

Amazon is horrible at identifying what works or fits on one car or another. Just get the right size blades and they'll work.

I get my driver side x2 from http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00RW7WFAM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=14CBVKTQSKJMO&coliid=I353SGTMLY4633&psc=1

I get my Leaf passenger side x2 from http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00RW7WZSY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=14CBVKTQSKJMO&coliid=I3MPXZY4UY2KA9&psc=1

I get my Prius passenger side x2 from http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00RW7WTQ2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=14CBVKTQSKJMO&coliid=I2R93099PMIEOI&psc=1

I've used the Bosch 4826 Evolution and this AERO brand on both cars. Amazon can't tell what car they go on complaining every time I order them. I've tried swapping wipers from the Leaf to the Prius and back and don't notice any issues on either car so long as the drivers side blade is 26".

I can't swap the passenger side freely because one is 16" and one is 18" but I sure don't pay attention to what Amazon tells me when I order them.

LeftieBiker said:
[Amazon'] software says SilBlade FLX 2616 Premium Beam Wiper Blade Set - 26"/16" does not fit the 2013 Leaf. How are they working?
Amazon is wrong in this case. It fits perfectly.

I suspect Amazon rejects the combo pack I suggested because a combo pack of a 26" blade and a 16" blade doesn't easy "map" to the standard replacement parts list that they know. Amazon knows that 26" is right for the driver's side, and 16" is right for the passenger's side, but neither wiper "takes" a two pack, if you will (or worse, you could put them on the wrong wiper arm ;-)

Here in Massachusetts, it isn't unusual for a wiper to only last 1 year, mostly because crystals of frost and ice are like sandpaper roughening the rubber edge. As noted up thread, my used leaf, from Atlanta, still had its OEM wipers (but were pretty tired). Rain is a lot easier on wipers than ice crystals.

So, first I have to say ... I want to use Bosch Icons because I've used them on other vehicles, and they last better than anything else in my experience. That being said, according to all the sizing charts the icons don't work on the 2013-15 Leaf models. Anyone here with a 2013 using Bosch Icons? I assume the 26a and 16a if so?

mwalsh said:
mwalsh said:
However, the online parts company got back to me saying that my order for 28895-1AA0A and 28895-1AA1A (ostensibly for a Nissan Murano, if you were only to believe the parts catalog in front of you) was not appropriate for a 2011 Nissan LEAF and they wanted to substitute 28895-3JA0A (Nissan Pathfinder) and 28895-3TA0A (Nissan Altima).

I'm very dubious about the substitutions, particularly the one from the Pathfinder. Anyway, I've not had a response to that email yet, so I'm not exactly sure what I'll end up with when the package comes. If I do get the substitutions, I'll let you know if they work out or not.

Substituted parts arrived and, despite the new part numbers, they appear to be exactly the same parts as those we know to work - same Mitsuba brand; same lengths; same code numbers embossed in the rubber.

If I had to say there is one slight difference, the old refills were a little more snug in the frame where they "lock" in, and the little indentation in the rubber that facilitates the "locking" appears (to my old, tired eyes) to be just a hair deeper in the old refills than it does in the new. However, that could just be manufacturing tolerances.
Thanks for all this great information. I've read through the whole thread and decided it's finally time to replace my ORIGINAL OEM blades on my 2011 Leaf. Yup, that's right, 4.5 yrs on the originals. We don't get much rain up here (on the dry side of WA). Most of my driving is less than 10 mi RT, so given the lack of rain (6"/yr) and minimal amount of time that I'm driving, I hardly ever use or even need them. We've just had a really wet winter so far and I keep thinking it must be time.

Reddy said:
Thanks for all this great information. I've read through the whole thread and decided it's finally time to replace my ORIGINAL OEM blades on my 2011 Leaf. Yup, that's right, 4.5 yrs on the originals. We don't get much rain up here (on the dry side of WA). Most of my driving is less than 10 mi RT, so given the lack of rain (6"/yr) and minimal amount of time that I'm driving, I hardly ever use or even need them. We've just had a really wet winter so far and I keep thinking it must be time.

Did you see the post where I'm no longer happy with the OEM blades? I'm going with the Bosch Icons next time.

mwalsh said:
Did you see the post where I'm no longer happy with the OEM blades? I'm going with the Bosch Icons next time.
I did.
But I bought them two years ago and they are still laying on shelf in garage closet.
At 4 1/2 years the originals really need to be replaced.

Anyone have a link to YouTube video demonstrating the change out :?:

TimLee said:
mwalsh said:
I did.
But I bought them two years ago and they are still laying on shelf in garage closet.
At 4 1/2 years the originals really need to be replaced.

Anyone have a link to YouTube video demonstrating the change out :?:
Pictures: https://www.ezwipers.com/wipers/Nissan/Leaf/change , Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi5-jnQl9wk

^^^ Thanks ElectricEddy.

But changing the whole wiper frame is pretty straightforward.

But I'm looking for details on changing the wiper insert on the frame.

I started to do it once, but it was very cold in Asheville, NC that day and only had about fifteen minutes.

Looking for more detailed visual instruction before I try again in a few days.

Yes, a few provided a verbal description earlier in this or another thread.
But I would like to see a video demonstrating how it is done.

Nubo said:
Couldn't spot any blades with offset attachments at the parts store, so I settled on Bosch Icon.

Noticed that some (not all) of the lengths in the rack had both "A" and "B" versions. There was no reference guide, the counter dude didn't have a clue and the Bosch engineer was not in the store that day. Per the package, driver side is "A" and passenger side might be "A" or "B" depending on your curvature. I didn't know if I had an "A" curvature or a "B" curvature but in any case, the 16 inch were only available in "A" so I just bought what they had -- 26A and 16A.
Spent about an hour online researching the A-B enigma out of curiosity and it's still as clear as mud. The Bosch website adds no further enlightenment and the LEAF isn't in their car-finder database. Weird.

I went to the parts store Saturday, confident in my Bosch Icon expertise. Only to discover they've further muddied the waters. On the rack were "A"s and "B"s of various lengths, including16A. good. But no 26A. There was a "26OE". Oh, great. "original equipment"? For what make? Something else? Thanks Bosch. No application chart as per usual for this Pep Boys. Tried searching on my smart phone but no joy. Asked the counter dude; his response "why don't you just Google it"? I put the wipers on the counter and suggested he google "restocking". Finally found a vague explanation on Bosch's site. It would seem "OE" uses some kind of "multi clip" which gives universality-- exactly the OPPOSITE of what you'd expect "OE" to imply. I don't know if it's me or Bosch who is obtuse but one of us is.

Driver side always has an “A” part number. Passenger side can have an “A” or “B” part number depending on the vehicle. Blades with a “B” part number have a greater curvature specifically designed to wrap around the passenger side window for greater visibility and clarity. Bosch continues its innovation and leadership with the ICON OE Multi-Clip connector, which offers a like-for-like OE replacement. The Multi-Clip features a flexible connector system, simplifying the installation process for all types of vehicles.
https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/wiper-blades/icon-wiper-blades

johnr said:
My thoughts are why replace the whole blade when all I need is the rubber insert?
So, for the sake of anyone else who's looking for those hard-to-find wiper inserts:

The Leaf uses wider ones than most cars in its class - and all the online configurators I've checked actually recommend the wrong part which is too narrow for the Leaf's OEM blades.
Many thanks to asinclair for providing the correct part number :D The part numbers are 288951AA0A for the driver side and 288951AA1A for the passenger side.
There's a Nissan dealer who's currently selling them on eBay for just $6.60 with free shipping. They're marketed for the Nissan Murano SUV, but they are the same ones that the Leaf uses.

I ended up paying street price at the dealer, but these part numbers worked perfectly and wanted to let others know that IMHO this is the way the go.

FWIW, I should have just gotten inserts, but I did end up trying two different wipers with less than optimal results:

TRICO Exact Fit
The problem with these is that they didn't fit. Or at least the driver's side didn't. Because of the bend in the LEAF's wiper arm, the wiper blade ended up sitting right under the arm and the arm hit the blade. Passenger side would have fit OK. Returned them.

Bosch ICON
While these also don't have the offset on the blade like the TRICO blades, the mounting point is higher and the blade itself lower profile so there are no interference issues. But the problem with these is that the OEM blades do have an offset and these don't, so you end up with noticeably less windshield cleared on the left edge of the windshield - I'd guess about 1" less. Aside from that, they seem to work perfectly fine, but I haven't used them in the rain yet.

Summary
I probably should have just gone with OEM wiper inserts and saved $20.

Back