2016 Leaf to have up to 180 miles of range!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GregH said:
..I wouldn't be surprised if the Nissan dealerships in Bakersfield and Stockton could count their Leaf sales with just their fingers (and maybe toes).

Nissan dealerships in both Bakersfield and Stockton already have DCs.

And the two dealerships currently list 18 LEAFs in stock between them, so I would be surprised if they haven't sold hundreds of LEAFs already.

The major problem with DC charge siting in California is that the chargers have been irrationally placed, most of them poorly sited and crowded into the major population centers, rather than being sited along the major highways, where they are most useful.

Compare California DCs to Washington and Oregon, with fewer chargers, but far more functional DC infrastructure:

http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:

And the two dealerships currently list 18 LEAFs in stock between them, so I would be surprised if they haven't sold hundreds of LEAFs already.
Lots of good information on California sales volume here: http://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/rebate-statistics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shouldn't be hard to estimate the number of LEAFs sold around Bakersfield and Stockton.

Some initial numbers using the site:

San Joaquin Valley (Stockton): 148 Nissan EVs, 417 plug-ins.
Kern (Bakersfield): 72 Nissan EVs, 381 plug-ins

Need to include a lot more counties to get a better picture of central California, but the numbers look tiny compared to the Bay Area, Los Angeles and San Diego.

edatoakrun said:
GregH said:
..I wouldn't be surprised if the Nissan dealerships in Bakersfield and Stockton could count their Leaf sales with just their fingers (and maybe toes).

The major problem with DC charge siting in California is that the chargers have been irrationally placed, most of them poorly sited and crowded into the major population centers, rather than being sited along the major highways, where they are most useful.

Compare California DCs to Washington and Oregon, with fewer chargers, but far more functional DC infrastructure:

http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I figure that GregH is counting in binary. I can count to 1023 on my finger! (1,048,575 if I add my toes ;) ). Seeing as Nissan hasn't yet sold 200,000 Leafs worldwide, I'd say that's a safe bet.

="drees"

...Lots of good information on California sales volume here: http://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/rebate-statistics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

455 Nissan rebates issued for the San Joaquin AQ district, and probably ~500 total for all DC capable BEVs.

I wonder what that total would be by now, if rudimentary DC infrastructure had been put in place?

I expect quite a few used BEVs have migrated out of the coastal Megalopolises and into the Valley, just as used ICEVs always have.

Average income levels are far lower inland, as compared with California's coastal population centers, so the option of a new car purchase is open to a much smaller share of drivers.

The DC infrastructure deficiencies undoubtedly has inhibited used BEV sales inland, just as it has new BEV sales.

GetOffYourGas said:
I figure that GregH is counting in binary. I can count to 1023 on my finger! (1,048,575 if I add my toes ;) ). Seeing as Nissan hasn't yet sold 200,000 Leafs worldwide, I'd say that's a safe bet.

Ha! no, that wasn't my intention..

Ok, I stand corrected.

I still think this will happen a lot faster with moderately longer range EVs. I just don't see that many people wanting to go 200-500 miles, 60-70 miles at a time.

I'm not saying these people don't exist (looking at you Tony)... I drove my EV1 from coast to coast TWICE (gen 1 was 60-70 miles range with 6.6kW charging)... I was young and it seemed like fun at the time. I can't see myself doing that today in a 60-70 mile range Leaf.. Even with 45kW charging. You folks up in Northern CA/OR/WA have a much more scenic drive btw than those of us down here in the relative island of Southern California.

+1!

GregH said:
I drove my EV1 from coast to coast TWICE (gen 1 was 60-70 miles range with 6.6kW charging)... I was young and it seemed like fun at the time. I can't see myself doing that today in a 60-70 mile range Leaf.. Even with 45kW charging. You folks up in Northern CA/OR/WA have a much more scenic drive btw than those of us down here in the relative island of Southern California.

edatoakrun said:
="drees"

...Lots of good information on California sales volume here: http://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/rebate-statistics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

455 Nissan rebates issued for the San Joaquin AQ district, and probably ~500 total for all DC capable BEVs.

I wonder what that total would be by now, if rudimentary DC infrastructure had been put in place?

I expect quite a few used BEVs have migrated out of the coastal Megalopolises and into the Valley, just as used ICEVs always have.

Average income levels are far lower inland, as compared with California's coastal population centers, so the option of a new car purchase is open to a much smaller share of drivers.

The DC infrastructure deficiencies undoubtedly has inhibited used BEV sales inland, just as it has new BEV sales.

Cost is definitely an issue for me as I cannot realistically afford to buy a $30K to $40K electric car, even though I have been checking them out. Now used? I can find tons of used Leaf EV cars in my area for under $9000, however, given the amount of problems I read people having on here, I'm hard pressed to justify getting one. I was looking at the Focus EV as it's in the $20K price range and I really think that's where most of these cars need to get to before they start appealing to more people (and more range obviously).

Back