LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. got a check for $50. Appears that if we can get the battery under 9 bars before 60 mo or 60k miles we now also are guaranteed a new battery. Not just a refurbed one. Regardless, I think I will not reach 8 bars in time -- still have 11 at 44 months and 37k miles......

Have any of you been notified by Nissan about the Leaf brake software recall?
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1102842_nissan-leaf-recall-brake-software-update-for-cold-weather-use

I purchased my 2015 Leaf in November 2014 so I thought my car would be included in the recall since the article mentions 2013-2015. But when I called Fenton Nissan they said it did not apply to my car. How did I get so lucky?

I also got my $50 check. As far as the recall, it affected 2012 models (maybe other years too). I have a 2012, but when I researched it further, the recall only affects models manufactured between a certain date range.

Don't know why I'm no longer getting alerts for updates here...I had been subscribed to this stream, but apparently not any more since the web site redesign...hmmmm....I still have that option checked. :?

I got my $50 check, as well. The brake recall didn't include my vehicle, from what I've read and at $28K miles, 11 cap bars left and nearly 4 years old, my battery will probably age out before depleting to 9 cap bars/won't qualify for a replacement. Got the notice about Carwings/NissanConnect - gee I can't wait to see what it'll cost to replace/reconnect to that service. I do want it, though.

- Kathy

No $50 check for me. Of course, I bought mine second hand off-lease.

I did get the notification about CarWings, so it's not like they don't know where I am.

Kathy, I plotted my battery health %-age from monthly LEAF Spy reports and like you, I expect the battery to outlast the warranty. I suppose that's a good thing, but at 80%, my range is sometimes a bit shy of what I'd like. I'm kind of on the fence about getting the maximum mileage out of my current LEAF (just flipped the odometer over 30K) or upgrading to something with a bit more range.

I'll be keeping my eye out for some later model off-lease LEAFs and/or I'm considering holding out for a Tesla Model 3 (announcement tomorrow for those who aren't up on that sort of thing). It's hard to beat the existing supercharger infrastructure (www.supercharge.info).

TTFN,

Karl

I3ORg8bBEpSVj4bnfyMt5EHfwFsWVg3RP7q7J8RB5iYEmEmyVEgxWHQdGXAsXCeS7YEj8ABnhjI9iJMHxvbcLWPauVz1Wm-4moOD0RKRzbtDpKkSsZ4alV9fZTGMjKRGQG0v9zd0knS9E0-Vs1o3IrvP78fKniI5W23IGpf8qKRH-Pvww-DKVkDqhm0WyiSF8ZWPeXrjvZ8GlcW0gL_VarkW10_vvNtOftTnqeR00FJQjPlRCCRRjONSwWYgE1s5vBS0n0m0SVw74QZT1sodXKOnMe42kaQS554SnJk7T_dT6aAhGLNL-wwC4qIzEFOj0srxA6yOd1B36nDmceY8nUBI26TZQkovpp71pFAZ_kh-OjVQX-MmJM1KgQNpBjA1SoaMDDFwtgaUmdqyIDjlVXSINa4P312MnvDmVzlF5MjtI1UGlYIg20vbkib0rZ6ITbNiBew0LwrpwRnJu1tzySZD3u31xMS8c5rw5CMNyLdnmyLa5fofHZY24zmuNDxl6x5D-g3VG8zJzv7eDauxA0ut9VByZxhlTZizQfZbgN3M-9YC-petFyjor1Ld7HL4DHpeyg=w1992-h1120-no

Sport Utility Leaf!

On a whim, I stopped in at Nissan Tiffany Springs (doesn't it always start like this?) to ask about trading in my 2012 SL to one of the 2016 LEAF SVs with a 30 kWh battery they have in stock. With about $11,000 off the MSRP, I think I'm ready to jump on a lease deal that will get me higher range, B Mode, 6.6 KW charger, heat pump, and a new lizard battery to 2019. Unless anyone knows someone who is interested in my 2012 with 30,500 miles and LEAF Spy 81% (1 battery bar gone) for $8,000, I will let it go in trade.

I believe they have several almost identical models if anyone else is interested. Of course, once they announced a 2017 model, particularly if it has more range, the 2016s will likely become even cheaper.

Karl

Attachments

• 2016 LEAF.jpg
    2016 LEAF.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 148
Any interest in a KC-only EV or even just LEAF Facebook group? I feel like the MNL forum isn't particularly friendly towards posting and sharing. Also, the notifications don't always appear to work particularly well.

FWIW, I am seeing more LEAFs and Volts out and about. Here's a picture of a pretty silver one I spotted in Parkville today.

Karl

Attachments

• SilverLEAF.jpg
    SilverLEAF.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 102
Below is an interesting article I came across today. It's an interview with a LEAF owner with 150,000 miles and his experiences.

http://insideevs.com/exclusive-interview-with-steve-marsh-as-his-nissan-leaf-hits-150000-miles-original-battery/

ericvoll said:
Below is an interesting article I came across today. It's an interview with a LEAF owner with 150,000 miles and his experiences.

http://insideevs.com/exclusive-interview-with-steve-marsh-as-his-nissan-leaf-hits-150000-miles-original-battery/

Yep that is Steve Marsh. I interviewed him waaaay back before he hit 50,000 miles on his LEAF. He was the mileage king on the old LEAF CARWNGS board for like 20 months straight.

Looking for a little insight from current KC Leaf owners that preferably do a bit of daily work commuting. My current commute is around 32 miles one way (64/65 roundtrip). It is 99% highway miles driving between 65 and 70 mph.

I don't like car payments, so I probably won't be looking at buying new or leasing, but instead buying used. Probably a post March 2013 model up to model year 2014. Looking at pricing I can easily pay cash for those two model years in the used market.

My main concern is range anxiety commuting during the hottest summer months and the coldest winter months. Fortunately that should only be about 4 months out of the year where I think I'll feel some range anxiety.

We do have charging stations at work on the KCPL network which is currently free, but my understanding is they will begin charging some $ amount next year. But it does mean I can top off or in an hour or so get 15 to 20 miles back on the battery before going home.

So I'm looking for some real-world feedback from fellow KC Leaf commuters on what range hits they see in our coldest and hottest months?

Also, I would hope to be able to use this car before requiring a new battery for four years. Not sure what kind of hit the battery will take basically being charged twice a day (once at work, once at home).

If you can reliably charge at work, meaning plug in and walk away, then you *could* make that work. 32 miles is an easy stretch, even in cold or hot weather. You would rack up miles fast, and partially free for the time being.

But even a late 2013 battery only has so much capacity and if you are asking about going the whole 65 miles on a single charge, at 65 mph, forget it. You will have to charge to 100%, every day, and you will cut it close at that. Cold or hot days (most are cold or hot in KC) will be worse. Over time, the 100% charge will probably kill even the better bats that Nissan produced.

I hesitate to impart advice on what may become a competitor, but! I expect there to be some deals on new 2016 SL or SV Leafs right after the 2017 comes out. A 2016 with the 30 kwh battery could be good for you. I might be looking for one of those deals myself.....

Agreed with Dr. H. You can make it work with the workplace charging, but 65 in one shot will not work long-term on the 24 kWh battery. My 2012 SL will do 55 miles with partial highway driving in summer and 45 miles in winter. We went to St. Joe's from the Northlands (about 50 miles) on 169 highway during the summer and had about 15 miles left on the guess-o-meter. Air conditioning sucks less power than heat, especially for the 2012s and earlier that have resistance heat.

According to LEAF Spy, it's at 80% battery health. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2016 SV lease with a 30 kWh battery. The good deals have already started, but I suspect they will get even better. For us, it's just time.

Speaking of which, I'm trading my 2012 SL, but if someone wants to buy it, I'll take the trade-in price of $6,000. Here are some pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/Unq4Y1SMrNdeSjdb6

Also, whatever you end up doing, consider joining our KC EV Facebook group. There's a bit more activity than this forum.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1717817545101518/

TTFN,

Karl

dougcpa said:
We do have charging stations at work on the KCPL network which is currently free, but my understanding is they will begin charging some $ amount next year. But it does mean I can top off or in an hour or so get 15 to 20 miles back on the battery before going home.

So I'm looking for some real-world feedback from fellow KC Leaf commuters on what range hits they see in our coldest and hottest months?

Also, I would hope to be able to use this car before requiring a new battery for four years. Not sure what kind of hit the battery will take basically being charged twice a day (once at work, once at home).

Re-read your post (did you edit, or are my reading skills flagging in old age?!!)....

The post 4/2013 batteries are getting good press. You could do this if you can *reliably* charge at work. I have been charging at St Lukes Plaza daily. I am actually charging mostly at work, and freeloading!!! I don't charge at home on a typical night. So I get nearly 40 miles round trip on my aging 10 bar (about 78%) bats, at 80% charge and usually get back to work (where I charge) with 2 or 3 bars, 1 bar on bad days.....

Here another caveat: Those free KCP&L charging stations -- I fear they may create some workplace tension over time. At St Lukes, the Volts, plug in Fusions, plug in BMW, are using the parking slots as their own personal parking slots. The plug in cars are not even plugging in. Just parking in the slots for "EV Parking".....

Now, I am sure that work places will vary in their ability to navigate the intricacies and etiquette of sharing charging stations. I am bothered that one day soon I will arrive at work and not be able to charge because the spots will be filled with plug in hybrids.

In the end, driving an older Leaf or other limited range EV entails some sacrifice. If you do this just cause the used Leafs are cheap (which they are) then you will hate the experience. If you do this partially out of a sense of fulfillment that you are also doing the right thing to advance technology and be good to the planet, then they are a very fine car.....

I work in Corporate Woods so there are charging stations all over this place. In our building parking lot alone there are six chargers. I've only seen one car use it in the last 6 months and I'm guessing that was someone passing through since I've never seen them here before or since.

So I think using the charging station at work will be a no brainer and trouble-free for years. This is also in JoCo, known for trucks and SUV's, I see more EV's in the Northland than I do down here. So I don't think I'll have much competition for the charging stations around here for years, if not decades.

I definitely would be charging at work every day, but likely not full charging. I'd probably just do an hour charge.

To answer the question of why I'm considering this. We are a two car family, we use my wife's car for all our family drives. My car literally is 99% just commuting to work and the other 1% is running 15 mile or less errands here and there on the weekends or evenings. So I felt an EV would be a really good fit.

While the KCP&L charging is free I'd save quite a bit of money, but I do have concerns about what the cost will be next year. I've heard since it is KCP&L they will bill me on my electric bill. I don't know if they will charge more or less than my home rate. Our rates aren't as cheap as some of these other high EV states, my electric bill runs around .135 per kwh.

Assuming I charge roughly 30 kwh per day that is $4.05 a day. On the weekends I probably would only need to charge Friday night and be good to still make it to work Monday. That would put my electric cost at $20.25 per week. Right now I spend about $28 per week on gas for my car. So only about an $8/week savings on "fuel" between the two vehicles.

I see people talking about saving thousands on gas, but they must drive some very low mpg vehicles to do that. I will save about $100 per year in oil changes. And this would also act as a hedge against rising fuel costs. I expect we won't see $3 gas before 2018, but inevitably gas prices will go up.

I might consider a 2016 model as mentioned above, but then we'd be talking about a purchase likely in 2018 as there don't seem to be many used models newer than 2015 right now, and the 2015's aren't all that plentiful. Plus, I'm trying to keep the purchase price to around $12K or less. If a used 2016 were available today I'd be surprised if I could nab it for under $15K.

Back