So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My commute is 62.5km one way. I have a L2 charger at work and charge with L1 at home. I currently have 20,500km on my 2015 SV.

About 45km of my commute is highway, with speed ranging from 105-138km/h, whatever the highest speed traffic will allow while staying under the 40km/h impound threshold here in BC.

Above 7C I arrive to work with 39-50% battery remaining

Below 7C I arrive to work with 20-40% battery remaining. Lowest temp I've seen is -5C.

Range is pretty consistent from 7-30C ambiant.

I can pretty safely rely on 1km per battery percent, (100km range) unless traffic is really open and I'm at max speed the whole time.

Any comments or suggestions about data analysis appreciated.
Thanks, Richard

See signature for details about my LEAF -- I purchased with 12 bars battery health and reported 90.3% as measured by OBD2 attached to phone of the Used Car Dealer.

Just purchased ELM327 WiFi interface and LEAF Spy Pro for iPhone.
Installed and tested, configured LEAF Spy to transfer data to Dropbox.
charged to 100% using Clear Creek HCS-40P, 32 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable, NEMA 14-50.

1/30/2016
Results from LEAF Spy Pro:
Screen 1
246 GIDS 87.6%
395.4V SOC --> 96.9%
19.1 kWh Remain
68.0 miles --> 5% @ 4 mi/kWh

Screen 2
Same information in table form
except shows 55.21 Ah

Screen 3 shows four graphs

Screen 4 Battery Cells
Ahr = 56.96
SOH=87% 395.39 V
Hx = 85.4%
ODO 10,662
2 QCs
456 L1/L2
min/avg/max 4.111 4.119 4.128 (17mV)
Temperature F = 53.0 52.5 51.4 (1.6C)

In +10 +20C (ideal weather) I could complete my long-distance drive: 123km/76mi (nonstop).
90% of that was at exactly 93km/h / 58mph (GPS data). I arrived with 5% to spare.
Leaf was new then, exactly 22kWh fully charged. 2014 Leaf.

I still managed to do this in 2015. Almost turtle (0,5-0,7kWh left). Tires were at 60% SOH :)
Half worn tires do cut consumption for few percents. Nothing extreme.

I can clearly tell that I won't be able to do this at maximum speed this year but it is not important.
3 ChaDeMo chargers along the route. I should mention I was never able to get home in one
shot as charging for 60 minutes at destination (ChaDeMo maximum) will charge up to 90-95%.

In -20C/-4F winter range drops exactly 1/3. Heater is used moderately, just to keep windows clean and
cabin reasonable. It doesn't matter is there a heat pump or not as heat pump is disabled below -15C/5F.
Cheap high-rolling resistant winter tires might cut more. I recommend high-end Nokians. I have almost
identical results with stock summer tires compared to Hakkapeliittas :idea:

I'm at 95% SOH today, 48000km / 29 900 miles. I keep my tires at around 2.5bar / 36psi. 61QCs

I can honestly say that I wish I hadnt purchased this car. I love the way it drives, but the range limits where I can drive it. We purchased it with the intent of driving it from home to the office which is 27 miles away from the house. For the first 10 miles it is 70 mph and then much slower due to traffic. The entire drive takes about an hour over all. When she would arrive it has just enough range to go about 7 miles to a charging station at a Nissan dealership. She would then charge for 30 min and get home with about 14 miles of range. Plug it up for the night to do it all over again the next day. We finally gave up and purchased her another car and I drive the leaf 2.3 miles to work and then back. Unless there is a known working charging station I wont drive it more than 20 miles away from my house.

Starting SOC : 100%
Range (till battery low) : 30 tops
Range (till turtle) :to scare to get find out
Efficiency : miles/Kw Dont Know
Driving : 1/2 highway the rest 30 mph or less
Climate : 74 degree

philipl411 said:
I can honestly say that I wish I hadnt purchased this car. I love the way it drives, but the range limits where I can drive it. We purchased it with the intent of driving it from home to the office which is 27 miles away from the house. For the first 10 miles it is 70 mph and then much slower due to traffic. The entire drive takes about an hour over all. When she would arrive it has just enough range to go about 7 miles to a charging station at a Nissan dealership. She would then charge for 30 min and get home with about 14 miles of range. Plug it up for the night to do it all over again the next day. We finally gave up and purchased her another car and I drive the leaf 2.3 miles to work and then back. Unless there is a known working charging station I wont drive it more than 20 miles away from my house.

Starting SOC : 100%
Range (till battery low) : 30 tops
Range (till turtle) :to scare to get find out
Efficiency : miles/Kw Dont Know
Driving : 1/2 highway the rest 30 mph or less
Climate : 74 degree

Where are you located? How old is the car? Do you have OBD II and Leafspy?

I get a laugh from some of you people.

I drive my Leaf like I stole it everyday and I love it. 28,000km so far. 2015 I bought last summer.

The only time I drive my Q45 or the maxima is if I know I have to push the range well outside the Leafs envelope. Otherwise I can make the Leaf work. I even take my Leaf offroading, something it's surprisingly competent at.

philipl411 said:
<snip> We finally gave up and purchased her another car and I drive the leaf 2.3 miles to work and then back. <snip>
Have you considered commuting by bike, at least in good weather? That's a perfect distance, typically 12-15 minutes each way in traffic, and except when it's hot probably not enough (depending on terrain) to work up a major sweat, if that's an issue at work.

I am on my 4th LEAF (long story) a blue 2013 SV which I love. I bought the car used last week from a reputable dealer for $10,488 with only 9,400 miles on it. It is pristine. Today I broke 100 miles on a charge (I have done that dozens of times in my other LEAFs and was one of the first in the 100 mile club and 200 km club on this forum).

Hey all,
2016 Leaf SV, above 90% ( not sure exactly) charge to first battery warning 96.7 miles. 40 of that was 60 mph interstate. Outdoor temps in the 40s F so I used heat some. Set to a low temp and heated seat on. GOM read 14 miles at the battery warning and I had just arrived home. Also I had only had the car a few days so was still developing driving techniques. My daily commute is 64 miles round trip. I have a choice of interstate or state highway posted 50 mph. The slower road yields the best use of range by quite a bit. Still need to run an exact test on that fro a 100% charge. I have access toLevel 1 at work so in 8 hours I can just about recover my trip in. Yesterday arrived at work with 72% on the battery , outside temps was 38 F, and it had charged to 98% when I left for home after an 8 hour Level 1 charge. I had 81% left after returning home same distance, same road outside temp close to 60 F. I'm sure I could head to work on what I have but I think i'll hit a Level 3 for 10 min before I head out.
So far quite happy.

GRA said:
philipl411 said:
<snip> We finally gave up and purchased her another car and I drive the leaf 2.3 miles to work and then back. <snip>
Have you considered commuting by bike, at least in good weather? That's a perfect distance, typically 12-15 minutes each way in traffic, and except when it's hot probably not enough (depending on terrain) to work up a major sweat, if that's an issue at work.

Great idea except I am disabled.

electricvw said:
Yes, I think the range issue is going to be a killer for the Leaf if they don't address it and fix it. My first dive into electric cars was many years ago when I converted a 64 VW Ghia to all electric. I had read up on hundreds of other builds and read that you could go 60 miles or more per charge. This was of course the days of lead acid. I said holy sh.t, I can do that and have an electric car I can drive to work. My very first lesson in believing what others have written on this subject were soon dashed as the absolute very best I could get on a full charge was like 25 miles driving at 55 mph. So I finally figured out that those 60 mile ranges were guys going golf cart speeds with no stops. That was how you attained those miles. I did not buy a car to drive like a golf cart. I did not buy a car to be driven in eco mode nor do I drive like a nanny or hyper mile.

It has been said that lithium batteries have made electric cars viable but if the pack is not large enough its still not practical. It is not practical to only get 3 to 4 years out of a vehicle before you can't go the distances you expected to go. First off the Nissan is NOT a 100 mile range car. NOT at all. No way in hell can you claim that unless you might be going 25 mph in a 30 zone with no stops and in eco mode. Actually Eco mode is totally worthless on the Highway.

A car needs to be planned on the absolute worst case. In the winter with the heater on and driving USA style at 65 mph minimum. If you can get a full 150 miles in that case and have that battery pack last at minimum 10 years with only a loss of 30% then you have a decent case for a decent vehicle.

We don't drive like you are in Japan. We drive like we are in America. The Leaf is a great car but that capacity life of the cells just plain sucks. Not a whole lot better than a good set of quality of lead acid for battery life. Lithium modules are far better, yes but if the life is in the realm of lead acid then they are not ready for prime time.

Rant Rant Rant but I must speak out.

My CALB LiFePO4 cells are good. Better life capacity than the Leaf Modules.

I also love driving my leaf, but unless I know there is a charger near my destination, I wont go further than 20 miles away from my house. If some one would only create a tow behind generator for the leaf? My understanding it that it cant be done.

I go 45 stress free miles at 80% and 55 stress free miles at 100%. Those numbers are without use of the heater.

The Leaf works for me: cheap mileage and it saves wear and tear on my other vehicles. Besides, all I have to do is drive it 33,000 miles and it is free (price of car given minus the fuel I would otherwise use on my SUV or pickup).

Assuming, of course, the battery holds up!

I just exchanged my 2015 lease for a 2016 lease for the greater range. Just had it a couple of weeks. Did 98 actual miles from 100% and dash said I had another 19 to go (no low charge warning). Was a combo of freeway and fast rural roads, about 50/50. Impressed so far. No heat, temp in high 50s low 60s.

I have a 2015 LEAF and live in a moderate climate (Auckland NZ) that is never too hot and never too cold. Anything above 30C is rare and I might see a tiny bit of frost in low places on one or two mornings in the winter. Though this winter is more like summer......as today was 19C when it should be 9C. (I no longer have any time for climate change deniers).

My LEAF is easily doing 120km across hilly terrain with about 15%-20% battery remaining. That range is enough to get me from rapid charger to rapid charger.

Good enough for now.

I bought the LEAF to go EV *now* and bridge me to the 'real' EVs in 2-3 years time that will go much further.

But with the past 13 months in a row being the warmest ever recorded in 140 years.....I didn't think I could morally justify burning gasoline any longer.

owayneo said:
I just exchanged my 2015 lease for a 2016 lease for the greater range. Just had it a couple of weeks. Did 98 actual miles from 100% and dash said I had another 19 to go (no low charge warning). Was a combo of freeway and fast rural roads, about 50/50. Impressed so far. No heat, temp in high 50s low 60s.

I would like to know more about this "exchange" of 2015 for 2016 while leasing. Can you please share some details?

We recently bought out our 2013 lease as they took nearly 7K off of the residual.

17.5K miles on the car after 3 years. Still full bars, and can still do about 100 miles on the freeway at 53-55mph when carefully driven (at 75 F and relatively flat).

Love the car, though its getting harder to put our 3 kids (2 of which are teenagers) together in the back for more then 5 minute rides.

I can't take a trip of over 35 miles (of urban freeway driving) without range anxiety. Even at 35 miles, I'll arrive with less
than 10 GOM miles left.

This is a 2011 Leaf SL showing "10 bars" and roughly 75 miles on the Guess 'O Meter at 100% charge. That 75 miles disappears quick
and by 35 miles it's time to find a charger.

This car is normally charged to 80%, and used locally, where it's fine.

My 2013 SV still has about a 70 mile range with A/C or heat (in milder Winter temps - more like 55-60 miles in colder temps, and 48 miles in frigid weather). The last SOH reading was the same 89% as last Fall's, and that seems about right: I have about 7 miles less range than when the car was new - maybe a bit more than that, but mainly because I know more about getting farther on the same amount of juice, now.

Trying my best to get that 4th bar down. My kids live across town - trip option one is all freeway, 61 miles. Trip option 2 is 53 miles, about 1/2 freeway, 1/2 back roads. Must stop for QC on trip option 1 - no way to make it. I can make it with 5-10 miles to spare trip option 2. Trip option 1 - miles/KWH less than 4, Trip option 2 - in the mid 4's miles/KWH. Level II charging at my Son's house - we built a 50 amp 240 VAC adapter for my OpenESVE (only use 16 amps however).

BTW, trip option 2 is relaxing and interesting - much of it in the country. HOWEVER, trip option 1 is likely much harder on the battery. Trip elapsed time is not much different, so option 1 going and option 2 coming back.

Back