2015 Tax Credit for EVSE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QueenBee said:
And I agree with the disagreements...
As do I. I plan to claim the credit on the $125 I paid to an electrician, plus $30 or so in parts I purchased, to have a 14-50 receptacle installed in my garage for the EVSE that came with my car. Since I am not eligible for a federal EV tax credit, I expect that I will actually get the alternative fueling tax credit next year (unlike in 2011, when the EV tax credit supplanted the alternative fueling credit).

lpickup said:
Just to post some up to date information, the federal tax credit was renewed and is retroactive to 2015.

See: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513

When you file your taxes, fill out Form 8911.

...Lance
Has anyone else been able to successfully apply for this credit? I tried but for the life of me couldn't find the forum 8911 in my Deluxe tax software. After 30 minutes of looking and 30 minutes on hold with the company :x I was told how to find it by searching for EV tax credit. Well I brought up the forum he found and hung up only to find out seconds later the forum he directed me to wasn't the 8911 but rather the form when you first purchase your EV :x Back on hold again but while on hold I tried searching the companies website for what forms were supported with what version of software you had and the ONLY one I saw that supported 8911 was the most expensive business version :x so pay an extra $50 for software to be able to use this form.....no thanks! I searched the IRS site and found info on 8911 but found no way of just printing out that form. If I had more time I may have looked into it further but the way it was I was on hour 7 and just wanted to finish.

Flyct said:
Here is a direct link to the form on the IRS Site
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf
Cool thanks! thats just what I was looking for. Since I haven't mailed my taxes yet(yes I'm one of those types :oops: ) I'll fill that out that form and include it with everything else.

jjeff said:
lpickup said:
Just to post some up to date information, the federal tax credit was renewed and is retroactive to 2015.

See: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513

When you file your taxes, fill out Form 8911.
Has anyone else been able to successfully apply for this credit? I tried but for the life of me couldn't find the forum 8911 in my Deluxe tax software. After 30 minutes of looking and 30 minutes on hold with the company :x I was told how to find it by searching for EV tax credit. Well I brought up the forum he found and hung up only to find out seconds later the forum he directed me to wasn't the 8911 but rather the form when you first purchase your EV :x Back on hold again but while on hold I tried searching the companies website for what forms were supported with what version of software you had and the ONLY one I saw that supported 8911 was the most expensive business version :x so pay an extra $50 for software to be able to use this form.....no thanks! I searched the IRS site and found info on 8911 but found no way of just printing out that form. If I had more time I may have looked into it further but the way it was I was on hour 7 and just wanted to finish.

For tax year 2013 I used TurboTax Deluxe edition and it didn't give me any problems claiming the credit. if you are using TT, it should ask you if you bought an EV and/or if you installed an "alternate fueling station" in your home or business, and if you answer yes (and you don't have other issues like AMT) it should print out the proper forms automatically.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/laws/ELEC/US

Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit
NOTE: This incentive originally expired on December 31, 2013, but was retroactively extended through December 31, 2016, by H.R. 2029 (PDF).

Fueling equipment for natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas (propane), liquefied hydrogen, electricity, E85, or diesel fuel blends containing a minimum of 20% biodiesel installed between January 1, 2015, and December 31, 2016, is eligible for a tax credit of 30% of the cost, not to exceed $30,000. Permitting and inspection fees are not included in covered expenses. Fueling station owners who install qualified equipment at multiple sites are allowed to use the credit towards each location. Consumers who purchased qualified residential fueling equipment prior to December 31, 2016, may receive a tax credit of up to $1,000. Unused credits that qualify as general business tax credits, as defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), may be carried backward one year and carried forward 20 years. For more information about claiming the credit, see IRS Form 8911, which is available on the IRS Forms and Publications website. (Reference Public Law 114-113; 26 U.S. Code 30C and 38; and IRS Notice 2007-43 (PDF))

Point of Contact
U.S. Internal Revenue Service
Phone: (800) 829-1040
http://www.irs.gov/

jjeff said:
Flyct said:
Cool thanks! thats just what I was looking for. Since I haven't mailed my taxes yet(yes I'm one of those types :oops: ) I'll fill that out that form and include it with everything else.
What a bunch of crap! After wasting another couple hours I still have nothing to show for this form! I believe I should have gotten something like $400 back but I give up! Thanks to those of you who tried but it just doesn't look like it's going to work for me.
I found and tried to complete that form 8911 but one of the last lines said it required me to complete a AMT forum, OK a PIA but I found it and started filling it out, only to be told I again needed something I didn't have :x and this is where I quit. Apparently to use this form(AMT forum what is required for 8911 form) one needs to also itemize deductions and use a schedule A. Well I don't itemize or use a schedule A, case closed, done. It would have been nice and I was willing to fill out several forms I didn't otherwise need but itemizing is not something I'm willing to do! Why the hell the forum 8911 didn't just say upfront one needed to also fill out the AMT form and finally itemize using schedule A to use this credit? I don't know why but for me anyway, the whole thing was a exercise in futility :( and no, the AMT instructions don't give any options if you don't itemize, do they just assume everyone does :roll:

jjeff said:
jjeff said:
Flyct said:
What a bunch of crap! After wasting another couple hours I still have nothing to show for this form! I believe I should have gotten something like $400 back but I give up! Thanks to those of you who tried but it just doesn't look like it's going to work for me.
I found and tried to complete that form 8911 but one of the last lines said it required me to complete a AMT forum, OK a PIA but I found it and started filling it out, only to be told I again needed something I didn't have :x and this is where I quit. Apparently to use this form(AMT forum what is required for 8911 form) one needs to also itemize deductions and use a schedule A. Well I don't itemize or use a schedule A, case closed, done. It would have been nice and I was willing to fill out several forms I didn't otherwise need but itemizing is not something I'm willing to do! Why the hell the forum 8911 didn't just say upfront one needed to also fill out the AMT form and finally itemize using schedule A to use this credit? I don't know why but for me anyway, the whole thing was a exercise in futility :( and no, the AMT instructions don't give any options if you don't itemize, do they just assume everyone does :roll:
It's not required to itemize deductions to fill out the AMT form. Read it again.

Otherwise you could avoid paying AMT by not itemizing?

jonnyg said:
jjeff said:
jjeff said:
It's not required to itemize deductions to fill out the AMT form. Read it again.

Otherwise you could avoid paying AMT by not itemizing?
Line 3 of form 6251(AMT form):

"Line 3—Taxes

Enter the amount of all taxes from Schedule A (Form 1040), line 9, except any generation-skipping transfer taxes on income distributions.

Be sure to include any state and local general sales taxes from Schedule A, line 5.
Form 1040NR. If you are filing Form 1040NR, enter the amount of all taxes from Schedule A (Form 1040NR), line 1, except any generation-skipping transfer taxes on income distributions."

Not trying to be dense but I don't see any way without Schedule A to get past a part that requires Schedule A and gives no alternative :?

I haven't mailed my taxes yet so if there is a workaround without actually having to itemize I'd be open to it but I will be mailing my taxes tomorrow, with or without the 8911 credit. I'd like it but man they make it hard to get :(

Line 1 of Form 6251: "If filing Schedule A (Form 1040), enter the amount from Form 1040, line 41, and go to line 2. Otherwise,
enter the amount from Form 1040, line 38, and go to line 7."

Since you aren't itemizing, you enter line 38 from Form 1040 and skip past line 3 to line 7.

jonnyg said:
Line 1 of Form 6251: "If filing Schedule A (Form 1040), enter the amount from Form 1040, line 41, and go to line 2. Otherwise,
enter the amount from Form 1040, line 38, and go to line 7."

Since you aren't itemizing, you enter line 38 from Form 1040 and skip past line 3 to line 7.
Thanks guys for sticking through this with me, my eyes just glaze over when reading legal and tax forms :oops:
Needless to say I didn't get my taxes mailed on Friday like I said I was going to do but I was mainly waiting for time to fill out the 8911 and worse, the 6251 AMT form, I'm happy to say they are both filled out now and my credit.........$645 :)
Truthfully this sure would have been easier if H&R Block Deluxe tax software had included the 8911 form but best I could tell, the only version they sold with that form was the most expensive Business edition, which seems kind of crazy for someone like me with basic tax needs, other than needing this EV Charging tax credit.....
All other years I've used Turbo Tax but this year I switched to H&R because of all the crap with TT last year. First they removed several key forms that were always included in the Deluxe version and tried to force people to upgrade to the Premiere?? version, then when people squawked they rescinded the decision and upgraded everyone to Premiere for free, saying they were sorry for the confusion.....it was also last year that Turbo Tax had severe issues with my state tax(MN) and MN actually stopped accepting TT submissions for several weeks. During this time(and I think also during the time TT wanted people to pay to upgrade to Premiere) H&R made the bold step to give their software free to anyone who could prove they paid for TT, I didn't take them up on this(I just waited TT out until they came to the conclusion they were having a PR nightmare on their hands and decided to upgrade everyone to Premier for free) but several friends did and were very happy with H&R, saying it was the same if not better than TT. It's because of this I switched this year from a 10+ year loyal TT customer to H&R. I'd be really bummed if the form 8911 was part of TT's Deluxe version for '15(RonDawg said it was in '13).....would have saved me a ton of time, can anyone say for sure one way or the other whether it was this year?
Flyct said he uses Taxact.com to do his taxes, was it included in their more basic versions? maybe I should look into using Taxact next year :?
I really liked how seamlessly H&R imported my old TT files, was basically like using TT, wonder if Taxact would be so seamless.....

Again thanks guys, $645 is sure better than nothing!

jjeff said:
Flyct said he uses Taxact.com to do his taxes, was it included in their more basic versions? maybe I should look into using Taxact next year :?
I really liked how seamlessly H&R imported my old TT files, was basically like using TT, wonder if Taxact would be so seamless.....

Again thanks guys, $645 is sure better than nothing!

I used taxact.com and have for years (even before it was called TaxAct). I had 0 issues claiming the 8911 tax credit (I just searched for the form and filled it out)--if this triggered any AMT calculations or anything like that, it was all transparent to me, and I claimed about $265 credit (30% of about $875) just as expected. I had no issues as well for my 2011 taxes when I claimed the EV credit itself.

I don't have any experience with TT or H&R (like I said, I've been using TaxAct since it was a DOS program that operated in text mode). I suspect TaxAct is not as refined as the other packages, and it has crept up in price over the past several years (following the trend of the competition), but for my situation, I find it works great.

You asked whether it was included in the base version. The base version of TaxAct is a free version and is really only for 1040EZ uers, so the answer is no. There are 2 higher versions--I can't recall if it's the mid-grade or top version you need, but even the top version is cheaper than the $50 extra you are talking about.

I just wanted to add that I used TurboTax (I've been using it for years) and it worked smoothly... I answered the question and pilled in the appropriate information about my car and that was it. The only hitch was that there was a delay in the IRS 'finalizing the forms' for the EV credit (according to TutboTax) and I had to wait a week or so to actually electronically file the forms. I started everything in late January when I got my W2 and other forms. This is the first year that I ever got a significant "refund" from the IRS ... usually I owe a little or get just a little back. It was nice to see that $7,500 show up in my bank account hahaha!

jamieo said:
I just wanted to add that I used TurboTax (I've been using it for years) and it worked smoothly... I answered the question and pilled in the appropriate information about my car and that was it. The only hitch was that there was a delay in the IRS 'finalizing the forms' for the EV credit (according to TutboTax) and I had to wait a week or so to actually electronically file the forms. I started everything in late January when I got my W2 and other forms. This is the first year that I ever got a significant "refund" from the IRS ... usually I owe a little or get just a little back. It was nice to see that $7,500 show up in my bank account hahaha!

I had same issue with TacAct.com. I was able to complete my return but had to wait for IRS approval of the tax credit forms before electronically filing.

My refund was $8250 this year, which $7,500 was for Leag purchase in November. It took about 2 weeks for refund to be deposited into my bank account.

jamieo said:
Well if thats the case then I'm going back to TT next year, unless they require one to purchase the premiere level to get forums previously available on the deluxe version. I can't remember now exactly what forms were missing in the '14 version of deluxe that they eventually added back but it's what made me switch to H&R this year('15) which in hindsight was probably a mistake as they lacked the EVSE credit form. Fortunately with the help of people on this forum I was able to download the form from the IRS and add it to my H&R return, getting me back hundreds of dollars :)

Garba said:
Has anyone tried to claim EVSE credit for 2016?

Does H&R Block deluxe software includes Form 8911?
I haven't yet but I will be trying to get it again this year for another EVSE I purchased. Oh BTW I switched back to TT this year, H&R is no longer that much cheaper and I was a little miffed at them last year in not having that forum I needed and yet it sounded like TT did have it.

jjeff said:
I was a little miffed at them last year in not having that forum I needed and yet it sounded like TT did have it.

This is the reason I finally went back to TT from H&R. TT has the form (Form 8911) in its basic version, to get the form in H&R, you have to buy the most expensive version of their software.

Back