The Electric Motorcycle & Motorscooter Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have negotiated a deal with a Vectrix VX-1 - converted to Leaf cell power - owner, and hopefully this weekend we will be trading bikes, plus some cash to me. I want an electric bike I can actually ride, and the the Vectrix owner wants a Zero SR but can't afford one otherwise. Hopefully we will both end up happy with the deal. He will be trailering the bike directly to a Zero dealer near him, for immediate repair under the transferable warranty. I also negotiated a refund of the dealer prep fee and freight charge I paid, to cover my shipping expense if I have to keep the bike, and partially make up for my substantial loss otherwise.

Let this be a lesson to prospective Zero buyers. Do not buy a Zero unless you live near at least one, and preferable several, Zero dealerships!

I am now the cautiously-happy owner of a 2009 (I think?) Leaf-powered Vectrix VX-1! My troubles with the SR hopefully being over now, I'd like to start writing - but mainly reading! - about pleasant electric motorcycling experiences. I actually had my first one today, when I got to ride the VX-1 while the SR's new owner rode it. We took my electric bicycle route over paved country roads, and it was a nice ride. The seating position of the Vectrix will take some getting used to (think "sitting in a Barcolounger, with two wheels and handlebars, that goes 68MPH") but it's a nice smooth ride, with very adequate power. The bike also has a surprisingly loud turbine-like whine, especially at low speeds and while accelerating, but this is one EV that definitely sounds like what we expected EVs to sound like back in the Sixties! The variable-regen throttle and integrated Reverse function are fantastic, giving much more control over riding this roughly 450lb bike than I've had with lighter ones. I can't wait to get it registered here in NY, and to take some more back road rides. I'll add a photo when I get some uploaded to Photobucket.

LeftieBiker said:
I am now the cautiously-happy owner of a 2009 (I think?) Leaf-powered Vectrix VX-1! My troubles with the SR hopefully being over now, I'd like to start writing - but mainly reading! - about pleasant electric motorcycling experiences. I actually had my first one today, when I got to ride the VX-1 while the SR's new owner rode it. We took my electric bicycle route over paved country roads, and it was a nice ride. The seating position of the Vectrix will take some getting used to (think "sitting in a Barcolounger, with two wheels and handlebars, that goes 68MPH") but it's a nice smooth ride, with very adequate power. The bike also has a surprisingly loud turbine-like whine, especially at low speeds and while accelerating, but this is one EV that definitely sounds like what we expected EVs to sound like back in the Sixties! The variable-regen throttle and integrated Reverse function are fantastic, giving much more control over riding this roughly 450lb bike than I've had with lighter ones. I can't wait to get it registered here in NY, and to take some more back road rides. I'll add a photo when I get some uploaded to Photobucket.
2009.......Leaf....... :? so is this bike/trike?? custom build using a Leaf drive train? Sounds interesting, can't wait for the photos because I haven't got a clue what you've got. Wish you much better luck though that what you had, sounds like a real fiasco :(

2009.......Leaf....... :? so is this bike/trike?? custom build using a Leaf drive train? Sounds interesting, can't wait for the photos because I haven't got a clue what you've got. Wish you much better luck though that what you had, sounds like a real fiasco :(

Heh. This is a 2009 Vectrix VX-1 motorcycle that has had the disastrous Vectrix NiMH battery pack replaced with 18 (IIRC) Leaf lithium cells. It has about a 60AH capacity at 142 volts, although the bike "thinks" it has 40AH, giving me an invisible reserve. The battery cells are the only Leaf parts on the bike. Just search "Vectrix VX-1" and if you see a white one, that's what mine looks like.

jjeff said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vectrix
Interesting, I wish you luck :)

If you are trying to let me know gently that the company went bankrupt, don't worry - I knew that. I've followed the travails of Vectrix owners at the V is for Voltage website for years. Once it became clear that the battery packs were poorly designed and unevenly built, and that the onboard chargers were in effect programmed to kill them with overcharging (the pack would also die if not charged for a whole...week), the bikes became nearly worthless. They still are, with the original batteries. But people began converting them to lithium battery power, and then a few years ago it was discovered that Nissan Leaf battery pack cells would fit perfectly into the Vectrix battery box, so now there are a few "reborn" VX-1 bikes with more range than the original pack ever allowed. The bikes are not problem-free, but as a 16 year veteran of two-wheeled EVs I understand that no such vehicles are problem free. None....

A couple more photos of my new bike. I'll be registering it (her?) this week, hopefully, and may take another slightly chilly ride again this coming weekend. I'll probably put the "Winter" windshield on first. I've already ordered an overpriced Givi backrest for the top box, and my GF seems enthused about riding on the back. I'm glad I have lithium heated gloves for Winter bicycling, as Spring seems to have had second thoughts here.

I had thought about converting one of these but it still wouldn't have the range that I was looking for and the heat in my region would shorten its life. They are an excellent conversion platform at a very good price. I was extremely close to doing this project. I was going to do it with Headway batteries initially then later eyed Leaf batteries. Have fun and enjoy your new ride!

You should still be able to do a conversion with different, more heat-resistant cells. Before Leaf cells were found to fit, several other commercially available lithium pack types were used. I think I've seen the name "Headway" but don't know anything about them.The website VisForVoltage.org is a great resource for Vectrix-related info. What kind of range do you need?

There is a 2008 VX-1 for sale about 10 miles away from me, with 250 miles on the odometer and a dead (or hibernating) pack. It's $500. I may buy it for parts, but if someone is looking for a bike to convert, this one looks nice. Gorgeous red one.

Here is my "new" VX-1 with Leaf cells, freshly washed and with a passenger backrest installed on the top box. I've taken several rides on the bike now, and it looks like I'll easily have a 50 mile range in mixed riding when fully charged, plus about a 10 mile invisible reserve. The only real PITA about having Leaf cells in the bike is I'll want to be careful not to let it sit at 100% charge, or to get the cells too hot. (I still need to install temp sensors on the pack.) The first owner, who bought it new and converted it, chose to insulate the pack to keep out external heat rather than keep the cooling fans, and this may well be the best approach, since we both have cool garages, but I'll probably avoid both long rides and recharging in Hot weather.

Last weekend I did a range test slash back-country ride on the VX-1. I decided to cruise unhurriedly to a campground on the Battenkill River (really just a stream) where my family used to go in the Summer. It was about 29 miles there, and maybe a bit longer for the ride home, so since I had guesstimated the bike's range at 60 miles before I had to start using the "invisible reserve" resulting from the pack being larger (about 60AH) than the bike "thought" (40AH), I arranged for a return trip partial recharge, just in case. There was only one non-Tesla location on PlugShare in the area, but it turned out to be right on my route, so after making arrangements I stopped on the way out to meet Sean, who has both a J-1772 station and 120 volt outlet available, and show him the bike.

I was running a little late by then, though: I had planned to leave at about 5:00pm, and when the charge indicator showed a full 17 bars at 4:00Pm, I thought I was on track - about an hour for equalizing seemed right. By 5:30PM, though, the bike was still doing the EQ, albeit with a charge rate that had tapered to 300 watts, with the voltage at 142-143, alternating back and forth. I gave it until 5:45Pm, and with the charger running at only 200 watts, I figured I was close enough to full. I took the scenic, lower-consumption route around the ridge that runs near my house, and when I reached Sean's place, about 10 miles from home, I was still seeing 15 bars. We talked for about ten minutes, he admired the bike, and I was on my way again, telling him I'd stop on the way back if needed.

I took it fairly easy on the ride out, avoiding getting up to 55MPH on the few stretches where that was the legal limit, instead waving cars around me and staying at 40-50MPH, mostly. There are quite a few smaller hills on Route 67 here, though, so it was a fair test of gentle country road riding range. I was at 9 bars when I passed the campground, but I wanted to ride just a couple of miles farther on, to visit the covered bridge where we used to swim and fish. The spot was just as I remembered it, but it was also crowded with young people, so I only stayed a few minutes, then headed back to the campground.

I knew the place had RV hookups, with water and power at quite a few sites, so I was hopeful that I could rent a site and then use it for just a couple of hours, so I could recharge there, by the river, instead of in Sean's driveway.

The campground is under new ownership, a nice enough woman and her very nice daughter. I was told I could get a "day pass" for a site for $15, and to enjoy myself. I bought the pass, and gave her $20. (Money is finally not a big issue for me, these days.) The dirt road to the river was the same, long and very dusty, but I got though without another vehicle "dusting" me. I had been told to pick any empty site, so I chose one near the river, albeit not actually on the bank. I had had the foresight to bring along the NEMA TT-30 (120 volts, 30 amps, triangular prong pattern) to NEMA 5-15/20 household plug adapter I picked up a while back for my Leaf, and while the site's power box had a standard 120 volt GFCI adapter, it was "upside down" as is now the fashion, to make it easier to get the ground prong in when it's dark. That would have worked OK, but I used the adapter, instead, and it worked like a charm. The bike started charging, and I hiked to the bathroom (much nicer than when I was a teenager) and then settled down on a rock shelf on the river bank to relax.

I had planned to stay until actual night fell, but we've been having slightly unusual Summer weather this year: fairly warm temps (~85F) but with very low humidity, and like the previous night the temperature started to drop quickly as the sun reached the horizon. I decided to leave at 8:00pm, only an hour or so after arriving. I added a turtleneck shirt under my jacket, thought it over a moment, then also donned the light open-face balaclava I had thought to bring. The bike, meanwhile, had charged from either 8 or 9 bars to 10 or eleven - I figured it had added about 1.5 actual bars to the charge, and since there would be an elevation drop on the ride home, I felt that this was enough. I didn't take it as easy on the bike on the ride home, riding at 55MPH where it was allowed, and 45 for most of the rest of the route. It was just reaching full dark outside as I arrived home. I wanted to "even out" the trip odometer, so I rode a few extra blocks after having taken a side trip to a cemetery on my way back. I arrived home with 67 miles on the trip meter, and exactly two bars showing on the charge gauge - the third one dropped about 100 feet from my house. I wasn't sure if I should charge immediately or not; I ended up letting it cool for about 90 minutes in my garage, and then later charged it only to 5 bars / 139 volts, leaving it to cool off fully afterwards. I recharged to 15 bars the day after that. The bike performed flawlessly (possibly excepting the annoying chirping noise under load from the rear) and since I added slightly less charge than was left showing on the gauge when I arrived, I figure I can ride for 70 miles on back roads, and probably 60 miles with more highway riding included. It was a good ride!

Sounds like a nice trip, I bet it's nice driving that bike along a quiet country road, probably very quiet except for wind noise.
Wow it looks like your TT-30 to NEMA 5-15 is quite a large pig-tail converter, mine is my only adapter that is very compact(probably important for a bike with very limited space) in fact it's my only such adapter that is self contained(no pigtail but rather just a molded plug with a TT-30p on one end and a 5-15r on the other). TT-30 seems to be the most common plug, at least at older RV parks and seems to have the most converter plugs/pigtails available for it. I purchased my tiny adapter plug from Menards but I believe Home Depot and I see Amazon does as well. For only $6 at Amazon it might be worth it to you, again for space savings.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55233-Electrical-PowerGrip-Adapter/dp/B00192QB3I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1466860095&sr=8-5&keywords=tt-30r+adapter
How many amps does your bike go up to and does it also do 240v? Looks like a 240v 50a plug in your photo, now that would charge your bike up in a hurry!

Sounds like a nice trip, I bet it's nice driving that bike along a quiet country road, probably very quiet except for wind noise.

Heh, no, I'm afraid. The Vectrix is unusual in that it makes a *lot* of noise. The motor isn't loud, but it uses a single speed planetary gear transmission to get optimum wheel speeds from the motor. The motor is on one side of the rear hub (the big chrome thing with fins) and the transmission is on the other. For reasons of cost and space, the transmission uses straight cut gears instead of beveled cut, and the unit whines/howls/screams like a banshee under load. Just to make it impossible for me to ignore, it also squeaks under load above 25MPH. I'm looking into ways to deaden the sound, which is largely transmitted by resonance through the rear components of the scooter. It is pretty quiet under no load anyway, so I coast a lot.

As for the TT-30 adapter, yes it's pretty big, but space isn't a problem. The bike has a large underseat compartment that is designed to hold a full face helmet, but I use the cargo box for that, so I have room under the seat for a motorcycle tank bag, the charging cable with extension cord, and the adapter, with room to spare.

The bike can indeed charge at 240 volts, and I intend to buy and adapt a Zero or similar J-1772 to NEMA plug adapter, so I can charge from most EVSEs. I may also get (or make) an RV 50A to NEMA 5/20 adapter, for RV parks, although the need isn't great for that. The bike is set to charge at only 700 watts, though (it will go as high as 1500 watts), to extend both charger and battery pack life. This can be changed on the fly, so if I ever have an urgent need to charge at 1000, 1200 or 1500 watts, I can do so.

Via IEVS:
Two Zero Electric Motorcycles Catch Fire While Charging In Hong Kong
http://insideevs.com/two-zero-electric-motorcycles-catch-fire-while-charging-in-hong-kong/

. . . As the South China Morning Post reports:

• “Fifty electric motorcycles from the police force have been pulled from daily operation after another two were damaged in a blaze that broke out at Ngau Tau Kok police station…”

“The two motorbikes were being charged at the police station’s car park on Siu Yip Street when one of them burst into flames…”

The one that caught fire the ignited the second electric bike, as well as a nearby police van. . . .

An investigation is ongoing, but the cause of the blaze is believed to be a short circuit, likely within the motorcycle. Until the investigation is complete, all 52 Zero motorcycles have been removed from service.

There are charger failures - kind of rampant, actually - in Zeros, but they tend to be the kind that don't set the bikes on fire. I wonder if serious error codes were showing (like the ones on my SR) and they were ignored or reset repeatedly.

BTW, I just today got to test the J-1772 adapter cable (about 3' long) from Tucson EV. It worked flawlessly, and is about half the price of the one that Zero sells. I didn't raise the charging wattage as it was a hot day, but AFAIK the bike was charging on 240 volts at 700 watts. I used it with a grocery store (Price Chopper in Saratoga Springs), and a brief shopping stop gained me another full bar of charge.

Via GCC:
BMW Motorrad introducing new C evolution electric scooter; longer range with 94 Ah cells
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/09/20160912-bmwmotorrad.html

. . . The electric scooter will be available in two variants: the Long Range version (160 km / 99 miles) and the European version that meets the requirements for the A1 driving licence (100 km / 62 miles).

In the new C evolution Long Range the continuous output is 19 kW (26 hp)—8 kW (11 hp) more than in the predecessor model. The top speed is 129 km/h (80 mph), electronically limited. In the A1 driving licence version (Europe only), the new C evolution has an output of 11 kW (15 hp), with a top speed of 120 km/h (75 mph). . . .

As long as comfort and acceleration aren't a priority (hub motors tend to be lacking in grunt) that's a neat bike. I wonder how high the center of gravity is on it...

Via ABG:
Gogoro and Bosch launch electric scooter-sharing service in Paris
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/18/gogoro-and-bosch-launch-electric-scooter-sharing-service-in-pari/
The Gogoro EV Smartscooter is headed to France. A fleet of 600 scooters will be available starting this summer for short-term rentals via Bosch's Coup Mobility service. This is the second city -- Berlin being the first -- that Coup and Gogoro have teamed up in.

Coup's service uses an app to reserve and rent scooters. Users can check a bike out, ride it to their destination and leave it parked and end their rental . . . The pilot program that launched in Berlin last summer did so well, the fleet grew from the initial 200 to 1,000. . . .

The Gogoro electric scooter is different from other two-wheeled EVs thanks to its swappable battery system. Instead of charging the bike, riders pull up to a GoStation, exchange batteries and they're on their way. The company launched the bike in Taipei and has installed over 300 of those stations and sold 20,000 bikes.

Back