30kwh installed in a 2011 car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mihird said:
My guess is, they will announce compatibility and pricing of the 30Kwh pack soon at end of this year or early next year after launch of Gen 2 EV. I don't know how that helps as compared to announcing it now..but my guess is, it might be done to not hurt the resale of current lease returns....and/or to not hurt the sale of the 2016 30Kwh pack models.
Evoforce said:
I was told by a higher up at Nissan that it was possible but that they were first making sure that they produced enough batteries for the new production cars before it would be available for the older models. ...
Let's hope the delay is due to production capacity rather than a desire to steer their early adopters into buying new cars. Because if they don't facilitate an upgrade path for my 2011, any new car I buy definitely won't be a Nissan. Fool me once, etc.

BrockWI said:
I thought the 30k packs had a slight different chemistry and required a slight different charging logarithms? If so would they have to change the on-board charger as well or can it be adjusted via software?

they do... along with the 2013's 2014's... but then again SW tweaks are pretty easy to do...

A MY2011 has the old 6.6kW charger. With the 30kWh replacement battery, how long would it take fully charge up the battery?

Would it simply be 30kWh divided by 6.6kW ? i.e. say 5 hrs tops? (assume L2)

RegGuheert said:
I suspect that 30-kWh batteries will be the ONLY option for MY2011 to MY2016 LEAF replacements in the not-so-distant future.

mxp said:
A MY2011 has the old 6.6kW charger. With the 30kWh replacement battery, how long would it take fully charge up the battery?

RegGuheert said:
I suspect that 30-kWh batteries will be the ONLY option for MY2011 to MY2016 LEAF replacements in the not-so-distant future.

2011 has a 3.3kW OBC, so about 9hrs to charge from empty to full.

Thanks for the correction. You are correct, I forget that it has the 3.3kW.

Valdemar said:
mxp said:

RegGuheert said:

2011 has a 3.3kW OBC, so about 9hrs to charge from empty to full.

Guy went silent and never got back to me after he said that he was going to. My hunch says that it was and the dealer screwed up. Told him to keep it hush hush?

I too am of the mind that if Nissan doesn't offer a 30 kW-hr battery upgrade path it will be the last Nissan I ever buy. BTW, I'm on my second Leaf. My first was a 2013 SL that saved my life in a horrible 2 semi collision. As soon as I got out of the hospital I bought my 2015 SL.

The real bummer is my commute is from Indio, CA to Brawley, CA about 75 miles. My battery has degraded to a maximum charge of 19 kW-hr so I have to charge in Salton City both ways. That turns my 75 minute (one way) commute into a 135 minute commute. Needless to say it really sucks!!! I get to sit in my car at temperatures regularly well above 110F for an hour.

Oh well, enough bitching.

Nissan just get me a 30 kW-hr battery pack and I'll be fine... Please!

Here is Texas, the EV is still in the "incentives required" stage of sales. The HEV is now very common - mainly because it is difficult just to get across the larger cities without charging an EV (a degraded Leaf as an example). Several factors - typical of any major city is simply the required distance, but compounded by poor maintenance of the charging stations that often requires use of the Level II charger as the QC is out of service.

I'd sure consider paying the extra (delta) cost of the 30KWH battery if/when I get a warrantee based replacement!!! (if it was an upgrade cost rather than a full price replacement).

shhhhhh, it's true. Nissan has no more 24kwh battery, all replacement will be the 30kwh battery, and it's not the silly old lizard battery, but the genuine 2017 30kw that has slightly different chemistry. Just keep driving ;)

I don't agree. I predict Nissan will eventually offer it's newer higher capacity 30 kwh or 40kwh batteries in older i.e. 2011 LEAFs.

I just picked up my car from the dealer. Warranty Replacement. Got a 24kWh battery.

LEAF specs:
2012 SL (10/27/2012 in-service date)
53K Miles
Lost 4th bar on May 31st @ 51K miles

Battery ordered: 8/14/2017
Part:295B0-9RB9D
Part Date: 04/06/17
Serial: 1747xxxxxx

Arrived 6 days after dropping off Leaf. Shipped from Sacramento (3939 N Freeway Blvd, Sacramento, CA)

(Note: ECO Mode)
EBgR9z4.jpg

dsh said:
I don't agree. I predict Nissan will eventually offer it's newer higher capacity 30 kwh or 40kwh batteries in older i.e. 2011 LEAFs.
Nissan has no motive to ever spend the engineering time to develop a conversion kit to allow this.

swooshrc said:
I just picked up my car from the dealer. Warranty Replacement. Got a 24kWh battery.

LEAF specs:
2012 SL (10/27/2012 in-service date)
53K Miles
Lost 4th bar on May 31st @ 51K miles

Battery ordered: 8/14/2017
Part:295B0-9RB9D
Part Date: 04/06/17
Serial: 1747xxxxxx

Arrived 6 days after dropping off Leaf. Shipped from Sacramento (3939 N Freeway Blvd, Sacramento, CA)

(Note: ECO Mode)
EBgR9z4.jpg

How many Ahr on the new battery?

Back