Leaf Spy Lite

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi:

After having various Leaf's since 2012, I finally ordered the ELM327. I got it yesterday, today I am turning in 2nd Leaf, this one I've had for 36 months. I was curious, I knew that I had taken care of the battery, and I live in a climate that is favorable to battery life. So I just had to know how it was holding up.

I took this reading last night.

https://imageshack.com/i/pmr6mnG9p

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4151/r6mnG9.png

I wasn't sure which link to use....I hope that one of them works.

Is this possible, to have the SOH at 98% after 36K miles?

I'm turning in the car today, but I'm sure that I could go back out there and get another reading, if I am doing something wrong.

Honestly, I haven't noticed a drop off in range, or any other problems that people report here as issues. This car was charged mostly to 80%, and the majority of the time, was on L1 charging. In the winter, we charged to 100% and had help with my 30 amp charger that I have in the shop. But it never sat at 100% longer than an hour, ever. I was anal about that, I would "burn off" battery, if I knew it had charge too high and wasn't going to be used for a while. So I did everything that I was told to do, from people on this forum.

Redjr said:
Hi:

After having various Leaf's since 2012, I finally ordered the ELM327. I got it yesterday, today I am turning in 2nd Leaf, this one I've had for 36 months. I was curious, I knew that I had taken care of the battery, and I live in a climate that is favorable to battery life. So I just had to know how it was holding up.

I took this reading last night.

https://imageshack.com/i/pmr6mnG9p

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4151/r6mnG9.png

I wasn't sure which link to use....I hope that one of them works.

Is this possible, to have the SOH at 98% after 36K miles?

I'm turning in the car today, but I'm sure that I could go back out there and get another reading, if I am doing something wrong.

Honestly, I haven't noticed a drop off in range, or any other problems that people report here as issues. This car was charged mostly to 80%, and the majority of the time, was on L1 charging. In the winter, we charged to 100% and had help with my 30 amp charger that I have in the shop. But it never sat at 100% longer than an hour, ever. I was anal about that, I would "burn off" battery, if I knew it had charge too high and wasn't going to be used for a while. So I did everything that I was told to do, from people on this forum.
The readings indicate the battery is in excellent shape. AHr, SOH, and Hx are all good.

Ordered the (cheap) ELM 327 V2.1, that is listed as ISO15765-4 CAN (11/29bit ID, 500 Kbaud) compliant - which I thought was the Leaf compliant ISO standard. The bluetooth paired, however I could not get past the introduction screen of Leaf Spy Lite. Is it a correct assumption that this ELM does not have the correct Leaf communication protocol? I'm using an old Android phone (on loan - iOS family!) and simply trying to get the right combination of hardware to order the Pro version. Any suggestions?

Marktm said:
Ordered the (cheap) ELM 327 V2.1, that is listed as ISO15765-4 CAN (11/29bit ID, 500 Kbaud) compliant - which I thought was the Leaf compliant ISO standard. The bluetooth paired, however I could not get past the introduction screen of Leaf Spy Lite. Is it a correct assumption that this ELM does not have the correct Leaf communication protocol? I'm using an old Android phone (on loan - iOS family!) and simply trying to get the right combination of hardware to order the Pro version. Any suggestions?
That is the correct CAN protocol (11 bit ID, 500kbaud). However Nissan uses their own proprietary commands and responses which require that the ELM support the full real ELM 327 command set which a lot of the new cheap ELM clones do not support. They only support the minimum commands needed for ICE vehicles. They also like to make up their own version numbers like this 2.1 to hide the fact they are really less than a real version 1.5 ELM327.

If you get the warning message from LeafSpy that the ELM adapter does not support the required commands then you will need a different ELM. I recommend the Konnwei KW902 Bluetooth OBDII adapter.

If you have an iPhone the iOS version of LeafSpy support the newer Bluetooth 4.0 LE which does away with pairing and is much easier to use. For iOS I recommend the LELink Bluetooth 4.0 LE adapter.

Did not get any messages - simply stuck on the first page without any data - and the "yellow" box in lower right would not show connected. Interesting that bluetooth did connect initially (with 1234), but when I disconnected and tried to re-connect, it would not - many attempts with no success.
Going to try again today.

If you have an iPhone the iOS version of LeafSpy support the newer Bluetooth 4.0 LE which does away with pairing and is much easier to use. For iOS I recommend the LELink Bluetooth 4.0 LE adapter.

I do have iOS - will the Leaf Spy Lite work with that set up - to first ensure everything is working - then move to Pro?

Marktm said:
Did not get any messages - simply stuck on the first page without any data - and the "yellow" box in lower right would not show connected. Interesting that bluetooth did connect initially (with 1234), but when I disconnected and tried to re-connect, it would not - many attempts with no success.
Going to try again today.

I do have iOS - will the Leaf Spy Lite work with that set up - to first ensure everything is working - then move to Pro?
No, LeafSpy Lite is only for Android.

For iOS you just need to send me an email requesting to join the LeafSpy Pro iOS test group and I will add you. Then you can test it out before buying.

Marktm said:
fahed2000 said:

This one does not work with Android - bluetooth;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281945642552?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The supplier did recommend trying the V1.5 ELM327 that looks the same, but don't think they have any proof that it will work - let us know if it does!

I did receive a v2.1 according to leafspy instead of the advertised 1.5

Soft menu does seem to not work on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.

I have installed Leaf Spy Lite on my Samsung S6 running Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. The App loads ok but will not bring up a Menu when the Soft Menu icon is pressed. If I press and hold the Soft Menu icon it does bring up the orange touch location hints ok though. I have go yet received my ELM327 unit(s) so have not got as far as seeing if I can get the Leaf Spy Lite App, ELM327 unit, and a Nissan Leaf talking on the Samsung S6 but not being able to get into the menu is a wee bit of an issue. Any ideas?

Catflyer said:

I have installed Leaf Spy Lite on my Samsung S6 running Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. The App loads ok but will not bring up a Menu when the Soft Menu icon is pressed. If I press and hold the Soft Menu icon it does bring up the orange touch location hints ok though. I have go yet received my ELM327 unit(s) so have not got as far as seeing if I can get the Leaf Spy Lite App, ELM327 unit, and a Nissan Leaf talking on the Samsung S6 but not being able to get into the menu is a wee bit of an issue. Any ideas?
Try going into Settings/Apps and killing LeafSpy Lite then restart and see if that helps. If not then reboot the phone.

Turbo3 said:
Catflyer said:

Try going into Settings/Apps and killing LeafSpy Lite then restart and see if that helps. If not then reboot the phone.

I have just tried both of those and am still not able to get the Menu to display, unfortunately. Anyone else using it on a Samsung S6?

Catflyer said:

I have installed Leaf Spy Lite on my Samsung S6 running Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.

I didn't try Leaf Spy Lite but regular and pro won't connect to a bluetooth OBDII on Android 6.x

I can connect to the same OBDII with Android 5.x and 4.x.

You might want to grab a $20 phone that runs the older OS and use it for leaf spy.

https://smile.amazon.com/Alcatel-Onetouch-Android-Prepaid-Tracfone/dp/B01770XUPM is only $15.

dhanson865 said:
Catflyer said:

I have installed Leaf Spy Lite on my Samsung S6 running Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.

I didn't try Leaf Spy Lite but regular and pro won't connect to a bluetooth OBDII on Android 6.x

You might want to grab a $20 phone that runs the older OS and use it for leaf spy.

https://smile.amazon.com/Alcatel-Onetouch-Android-Prepaid-Tracfone/dp/B01770XUPM is only $15.

I'm in New Zealand so the Amazon option does not work as well as it would in the US. I have borrowed a Samsung S2 and Leaf Spy Lite is working on that ... just waiting for my ELM327 units to test that they are ok. As long as I can get Leaf Spy Lite working I will buy Leaf Spy Pro. Just following the recommendations of the Leaf Spy App to install and get the Lite version going first before purchasing either of the others. Android 6.x is quite common here so I thought it best to report the issues I was having.

FWIW, My downloaded-today Leaf Spy Pro (ver 0.38.80) just installed and chatted with the OBDII port on my 2012 Nissan Leaf just fine on my new Samsung Galaxy Edge 6+ running Android 6.0.1.

So Leaf Spy Pro works with one Android 6.0.1 .

BostonLance said:
FWIW, My downloaded-today Leaf Spy Pro (ver 0.38.80) just installed and chatted with the OBDII port on my 2012 Nissan Leaf just fine on my new Samsung Galaxy Edge 6+ running Android 6.0.1.

So Leaf Spy Pro works with one Android 6.0.1 .

Tapping on the Soft Menu icon brings up the menu for you? If so, I will try the Pro and see how I go.

Catflyer said:
dhanson865 said:
Catflyer said:

I'm in New Zealand so the Amazon option does not work as well as it would in the US. I have borrowed a Samsung S2 and Leaf Spy Lite is working on that ... just waiting for my ELM327 units to test that they are ok. As long as I can get Leaf Spy Lite working I will buy Leaf Spy Pro. Just following the recommendations of the Leaf Spy App to install and get the Lite version going first before purchasing either of the others. Android 6.x is quite common here so I thought it best to report the issues I was having.

Well I guess it was just a fluke. I went down and paired the bluetooth on my android 6.x phone and leafspy connected no problem.

dhanson865 said:
Well I guess it was just a fluke. I went down and paired the bluetooth on my android 6.x phone and leafspy connected no problem.
Yep. I've been using a Nexus 5X w/Android 6.x.x (now 6.0.1) for a few months w/Leaf Spy Pro over Bluetooth.

I had to go to this phone as my work requires us to use either the Nexus 5X or 6P if we want access to certain corporate resources. So, I had to turn in my Samsung Galaxy S6 that was working fine w/it (and was still on Lollipop aka 5.x.x). Before that, was using a Galaxy S4. The BT dongle has been the same one the whole time.

Back