Hacking the VSP Box (Noise Maker)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We recently got a 2016 Leaf and I just found your postings. Already hate the VSP and backup sounds.
I would love to have a VSP that sounds like a Harley-Davidson or a big V8 with a 3/4 racing cam. Something that sounds like a huge rock-crushing machine or a jack-hammer would be nice for the backup sound. :D

My wife didn't like my ideas for the Leaf backup sound. However, we did agree on the "clack-clack" of a military tank's tracks as an excellent backup warning sound.
:D

I need one of these switches! :shock:

If you abandoned this project can you please share the source or part number, or sell me a switch and connector? I have only found the old narrower 2011/2012 vsp switches online.

Msportronics said:
I have an easy and reliable source for the VSP off switch that fits the newer 12' and up Leaf. I have tested the switch itself and have everything working. Waiting on some Sumitomo terminals and connector to finalize the design. More info soon.

The main person that came up with the slick solution using the above switch was Msportronics. His (assuming it's a he) last login was Sept 2016 so I would say he's left, given up, won the lottery or died.

If anyone else has a solution that can be reliably installed in a similar way (able to turn it on and off from the dash). Feel free to post.

Dang this thread was disappointing! I was getting pumped reading through, then I came to the end. I suppose it shouldn't be that hard wiring up a simple switch to ground right?

Go to the last few pages of this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=3296

There is a link to an ebay listing where you can buy the little doo-dad for $25 that gives you a VSP off button using all stock hardware.

Hmm, very nice to see something available for purchase, though I wish it used a blank slot so that it was compatible with Leafs without navigation. Looks like those of us without will still have to source parts and build something.

Am I missing something? All Leaf models have the passenger airbag off warning light/VSP off light on the very bottom of the dash, underneath the HVAC controls. Therefore the switch is compatible with all Leafs and uses the factory button. That's like, the point.

Am I missing something? All Leaf models have the passenger airbag off warning light/VSP off light on the very bottom of the dash, underneath the HVAC controls. Therefore the switch is compatible with all Leafs and uses the factory button. That's like, the point.

The request was to use one of the blanks (probably on the left side of the steering wheel) to implement a separate switch for control of the VSP.

I like this option as well to keep the way the SRS/VSP display works true to factory original.

Oh, no, you are right. Sorry, I'm so used to everything center-dash related being completely different on the nav units. Might give it a try then. As ironmanco pointed out, it'd be nicer I think to keep the center-dash functionality untouched and use a button blank to the left of the steering wheel, but this is still an interesting option.

One thing that concerned me:

In this post: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3296&start=340#p486624
Decimus said:
WIRE SIZES:
Make sure the lead (wires) are 18 gauge or bigger. Or something that doesn't burn with a 10-Amp load. Small wires will burn, large wires will pop the fuse. Secondly, the wires have to be wrapped with electrical tape from head to toe, leaving no gaps. The one in the image above is already coated with gray insulation - that's good. This is to help with fire control.
It seems to be like if we're relying on the resistance of the wire to control the current ("large wires will pop the fuse"), that's just asking for trouble/possible fire. The maximum current should be controlled by a resistor, or some other device in the loop, not the wire gauge. Did I miss here as well?

This one is similar to what Msportronics except that you have to DIY.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Nissan-Leaf-VSP-Harness-Mod

Her's what I think happened. Msportronics had to strip 54 wires, then pin crimp 54 microscopic pins. A total of 108 actions each. Lots of time involved. Artist / engineers doing repetitive jobs tend to quit sooner then stop producing. On the brighter side, these are same people that bring us innovations.

For some that want to make your own, here's the part number 25172-3NF0A. Someone sells a generic harness which you have to meticulously plug in up to 9 pins yourself. Probably around 2018 or 2019 is when you can't pay anyone to install it. You're on your own.

EDIT: Sept 2017: Here's an open source reference diagram, sourced from the service manual. Diagram shows wires going from switch to the VSP sound communication box. And switch Internal diagram. (2011-2017 LEAF). To be used only when at least one front wheel are raised off the ground (for troubleshooting purpose. Don't drive around with the sound off.)
lookvsp.jpg

16-pin connector = VSP sound communication box
8-pin connector = switch unit

The upper diagram is for a fixed illumination (which is easier to work with.) The bottom is for adjustable illumination and is a theory only since I haven't yet attempt to connect it. Some might prefer a 50mA fuse but I recommend two 820-Ohm resistors.

The most important wires are 11 to 4 and 11 to 8, ignition battery voltage lead. I'd make sure this wire is a thicker gauge than the rest. 18 gauge is good. Because it' should be strong enough to blow a fuse. This wire must have a secure connection to the VSP unit, Instead, I used two, no less than 820-Ohm resistor right at pin 11. I recommend it. Only problem is the indicator light is about 10% dimmer.

ltbighorn said:
Decimus said:
WIRE SIZES:
Make sure the lead (wires) are 18 gauge or bigger. Or something that doesn't burn with a 10-Amp load. Small wires can burn, but large wires will pop the fuse. Secondly, the wires have to be wrapped with electrical tape from head to toe, leaving no gaps. The one in the image above is already coated with gray insulation - that's good. This is to help with fire control.
It seems to be like if we're relying on the resistance of the wire to control the current ("large wires will pop the fuse"), that's just asking for trouble/possible fire. The maximum current should be controlled by a resistor, or some other device in the loop, not the wire gauge. Did I miss here as well?

The thicker gauge is to protect the copper wire from burning other stuffs since they're good at popping fuses. Msportronics used tiny wires on his I believe could be unsafe. If they carry 12V, 1-20 Amps then a minimum of 18 gauge is preferred. I believe 18 gauge is common for automotive wires. You probably can use tiny wires if you put the correct resistor at the starting point (on the VSP control unit) exactly what you said at the end.

_____
(WARNING: Do not attempt to connect this unless you are a dealer mechanic. The diagram is for reference only. )

I have a 2018 model and interconnected a dash switch to the wire going to the speaker itself by reaching through the lower part of the front grill. It was not easy but it is effective in turning off the VPS sounds. However, turning the switch back on does not always result in an immediate return of VSP sounds. I think there must be some electronic sensor that turns off the systems if continuity through the speaker is not maintained. Cycling the car on and off has always restored VSP sounds. Hope this helps. I am still looking for a better way through pins 5 and 8 of the VSP box. Does anyone know if the pinouts changed in the 2017-18 transition?

Oh my bird. This thread got abandoned by both of us :oops:

Well, so, I no longer have a LEAF, as I'm now a Model 3 guy, but I pop in and out of LEAF things every now and then. One thing I've noticed is that Leaf Spy Pro is now able to enable/disable VSP features at a very granular level. You can keep the reverse dings and lose the whooshy-woo driving noise, or vice versa, or neither, or both, or only part of the whooshy but lose the woo, etc etc etc... all with just the Leaf Spy Pro app and an OBDII Bluetooth dongle. And those settings stick!

nTaF527.jpg

What I did during my LEAF years was to make my own "VSP Off" button, simply run through the blank pin in the VSP socket and soldered to the pin directly, then the rest of the VSP connector just slides over it. Then, that wire runs across the center dash bits and over to the D/S left-hand switch panel where the VSP button would go. I drilled a big hole in a blank switch plate, and installed a momentary push-button. The wire goes to that switch, and from the other pin of the switch, I went to a ground somewhere on the metal frame nearby. Et voila, I labeled it "VSP Off - STFU", and called it the "STFU button". I'd habitually push it every time I started the car.

I think the Leaf Spy solution is a lot more universal (no need to do anything every time you start the car), but the button solution is more "close to stock" (not to mention way easier to do).

I hoped more of this thread would've been filled with nerds trying to help rip apart that Yamaha ROM dump and ping ideas back and forth about how to make it emit more interesting sounds, but ahh! Oh well...

Where is the documentation on how to use Leafspy Pro to disable specific VSP sounds

Back