MA Clean Vehicle Project - $50k QC Deployment Awards

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked with Michelle, the contact person for the PON, to see where it's at. Answer is that the contracts are drawn up, but they're waiting for federal highways approval before they're finalized. So, apparently they've been awarded, but they wont tell me anything more yet. With winter coming, and the provision that gives awardees a year to install, we won't see anything until next spring/summer most likely. Frustrating.

Oh well, at least things are moving forward. By the time the infrastructure is complete, it'll be time for my 2017 Leaf lease!

Thanks for updating us, DNA!

Long time coming, but it does include a requirement to maintain them for 15 years.

Got another email today that included this: "We actually even put some extra money in and I think that if we include the 12 sites that MassDOT is putting in, we have maybe 22 sites. Pretty exciting!
Best,
Michelle "

With eVgo, Nissan, and others that should put us around 40, not bad for a small state.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
{snip}...not bad for a small state.

Yes. Can't lose sight of that.

In my area of Western Mass, there are (15) Level-2 and (2) Level-3 (non-Tesla) charging stations within a 8-mile radius of my house! What could make that better? They're all free!

Which is the most expensive charger I have ever used? The Level-2 ClipperCreek in my garage!

Yeah, we need more in the western part of the state, there's no QC west of the valley. But I was wrong about the count. Just added up what's on PlugShare and in MA alone there are already 27, so with these that'll be 49 and probably more by next summer. And that's not counting the surrounding states, so I think it's a good start.

Oh my! I never noticed that there is a real "dead zone" between the Pioneer Valley and Pittsfield. Just a few around Pittsfield and, as you have pointed out, no Level-3s!

Looks like Albany has plenty of L2s, but the only L3 in that city is a Tesla Supercharger.

You know, I wonder if the temporary drop in oil prices is partly responsible for the dearth of stations in cities less populated than others. Interesting, especially since my work is always receiving emails from ChargePoint (et. al.) with offers to promote the installation of chargers. I *almost* talked work into exploring the idea. I've got a great suggestion for its location, too! ;)

Excellent news! :D

The Natick/Framingham plazas and the Charlton plazas will be key for my travels. I believe the Blandford/Lee installation should help the Pittsfield area.

Theo

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Finally!

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/automotive/2016/07/electric_vehicles_will_get_a_charge_along_mass_pike

The article says 80% charge in 10 minutes! That is crazy-fast, and it cannot be right.

Otherwise, good to know!

They still don't get it, their blog reads, "at least 80% in 10-20 minutes"

http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/coming-soon-electric-vehicle-fast-charging-stations/

image.jpeg

Sheesh! You'd think someone in the know would proofread this stuff.

So what I want to know is which company will provide the charging? Are those EVGO systems? How much will a "20-minute full charge" ;) cost me?

Theo

From their Facebook page:

"Here are some additional facts:

Stations will be networked with information on location and status on various “plugshare” type applications.

Locations and utility service will be sized to accommodate additional stations.

The price structure has yet to be determined but under consideration will be a flat fee for 10 minutes plus a rate per minute thereafter. Stations will accept electronic forms of payment.

Signs will be added in advance of the service plazas as well as within the plaza.

We are considering a Level-II station component while we have single stations at each site to provide a backup should the fast charger be temporary out of service."

So, no network, pay at the unit, like a self serve pump.

Interesting.

I'm hoping that the Natick/Framingham and Charlton sites have more than one QC at each location. It will help a great deal to consult apps for the station status. L2 backup, while slow for LD traveling, will be an ok backup...if you're not on a tight schedule.

Let's try to organize a meet-up at one of these sites when they come online!

Theo

Checked in with Michelle Broussard, as these MassDOT units are separate from those awarded under this award grant. She replied:

"The MassDOT chargers are not part of our program. We have gotten NEPA approval but are waiting for the internal higher ups here to give final OK to send out contracts. They have had the paperwork for weeks and I do not know how long that process will take. I don't imagine it will be much longer, but then again, I thot we would have it before now. Have a great weekend.

Best,
Michelle "

Since the grant rules allow awardees up to a year to install, don't expect this until next summer.

Thanks for the leg-work, DNA!

These should be ready for use about the time my Leaf lease is up :roll: . Will be replacing it with a 200mi BEV...hopefully a Leaf if they can deliver the distance of a Bolt/Model 3.

Theo

Back