Official Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jjeff said:
^^^ they say it's tailored for the US market but if so then why the heck wouldn't they do as the Volt has done and Pacifica will be doing, instead of making the battery pack 12Kwh upgrade it to 16Kwh for the the maximum rebate :roll: doesn't sound like they really know what the US market is doing.....
22 ish mile range :cry: personally I won't be interested unless it could make the magic 30, which could probably be done if they'd opt for the 16 instead of 12....
The lack of a third row is also short sited, I mean it wouldn't have to fold flat(like the Pacifica is doing) but to remain competitive I'd think it should really have the 3rd row as an option, another thing telling me Mitsubishi is clueless AFA the American market.....the way Mitsubishi is going with the delays they'll be lucky to have it out before they bail on the US market for good......
A bigger pack would eat into cargo/pax space, and that's exactly what people who want/need an SUV/CUV don't want. As to the lack of a third row seat, it's a question of batteries, batteries, batteries - that's where they are. Personally, I have absolutely no need or desire for a third row of seats, nor do many other people who'd be interested in this vehicle (in the 13+ years I've owned my Forester, I can count on my fingers, with one or two left over, the number of times I've had anyone in any back seat. The number of times that it was essential that I do so can be counted on the fingers on one hand, again with one or two spare).

For me, 20 miles or more of AER is a reasonable compromise given current battery pack bulk and cost, as it will cover at least 50% of all U.S. drivers daily range needs, keeps the vehicle price/weight down, doesn't seriously compromise space (unlike e.g. the doubled battery pack on the new Prius Prime aka PiP, which eats up several inches of height in the cargo area ala' the C-Max Energi), and can be fully charged overnight on a 120V circuit (which also keeps the cost down and eliminates the potential hassle of needing wiring modifications). I'd be perfectly happy if GM were to build a Voltec CUV with half the battery pack/AER of either the first or second gen Volts, if it meant that they would have a true five seats (important for some if not me), and would keep the cost down. The lower the cost, the more people can afford these cars, and the more that will be out there for people to experience and then sell on into the used market, where people who could otherwise never afford any type of PEV may be able to consider them.

jjeff said:
^^^ they say it's tailored for the US market but if so then why the heck wouldn't they do as the Volt has done and Pacifica will be doing, instead of making the battery pack 12Kwh upgrade it to 16Kwh for the the maximum rebate :roll: doesn't sound like they really know what the US market is doing.....
22 ish mile range :cry: personally I won't be interested unless it could make the magic 30, which could probably be done if they'd opt for the 16 instead of 12....
The lack of a third row is also short sited, I mean it wouldn't have to fold flat(like the Pacifica is doing) but to remain competitive I'd think it should really have the 3rd row as an option, another thing telling me Mitsubishi is clueless AFA the American market.....the way Mitsubishi is going with the delays they'll be lucky to have it out before they bail on the US market for good......
I agree. The Outlander is looking less interesting.
We'd be looking to replace our minivan and be able to tow a boat. I was thinking the Outlander would be a viable choice. But the Pacifica looks like it will be out first, will have better all electric range and have 3rd row which we do occasionally use.

Its nice having a large vehicle to transport stuff, like 4 bikes in the cab along with 4 people, or as a people mover for trips or car pooling. Several times we've volunteered to drive a group of people and have 6 or even 7 in the van. Nice flexibility. With the AER of the Pacifica its doesn't sound like it has much downside. It will come down to cost for us. And depends on how long we can keep our current van running comfortably.

FWIW

UK -- Mitusbishi Outlander PHEV, which at 3,906 units during the first quarter of 2016 accounts for 53.2% of all plug-in registrations.

http://evfleetworld.co.uk/news/2016/Apr/ULEV-sales-reach-new-record-in-March/0438024499

so the PHEV looks like it might repeat last year's performance of supplying 1/2 of the UKs plugin vehicle market.

Yet another major roadblock for Mitsubishi to overcome... Apparently they have yet to solve their internal culture of cheating....
Ironically, it was Nissan who uncovered it...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mitsubishi-motors-finds-falsified-fuel-mileage-tests/

The news is that they have been fudging fuel efficiency data from 1991 ! Basically Japan made a change in '91 to add more stop & go traffic patterns which Mitsu never adopted.

At this point the chances of Outlander making it to US looks slim. Afterall, it sounded like Mitsu doesn't really want to bring the PHEV here, so this would be a good excuse to postpone yet another time.

Even if Mitsu motors survives as a company - which isn't assured at this point.

Yeah, this thing is dead in the water for North America. It was my #1 pick for years to replace the ol' Leaf, but we're more than pleased with our E Tron at this point. Really happy we didn't wait any longer for this.

best video PHEV yet

from the myoutlanderphev forum http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=459&start=120 sawman82

[youtube] www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO5IEISadd8 [/youtube]

evnow said:
At this point the chances of Outlander making it to US looks slim. Afterall, it sounded like Mitsu doesn't really want to bring the PHEV here, so this would be a good excuse to postpone yet another time.

Even if Mitsu motors survives as a company - which isn't assured at this point.

I'm not worried about Mitsubishi Automobiles surviving as a company. They are part of a huge conglomerate which undoubtedly helps the auto side of their business work. If Suzuki can continue to survive (albeit outside the US now), so can Mitsubishi.

The question is whether Mitsubishi will continue to sell cars in the US especially since they closed down their US plant recently. Assuming they will continue in the US and still intend to fulfill their promise of giving us a PHEV here, my guess is they are waiting for a total redesign to introduce a PHEV version. The current model was introduced as a 2013 and even when new felt dated compared to its contemporaries from other manufacturers. That's not surprising given the Mitsubishi GS platform on which the Outlander is based was first introduced in 2005. That also means the Outlander shares DNA with the Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Caliber, cars which generally are perceived as awful by the automotive press.

I would not be surprised the announcement of the Chrysler Pacifica, and the generally positive reviews it has been getting, made Mitsubishi re-think their original plan of introducing their first PHEV based on a platform that is already more than a decade old.

^^^ while agree that sounds good and noble, in reality I'm beginning to think the Outlander PHEV(for the N. American market) is going to be just that, always in the waiting, great concept car but never released :( I mean wasn't Mitsubishi one of the first with a EV, the little joke of a car iMe :lol: I remember looking at one several years ago and was amazed a company would release such a car in N. America. Maybe Asia or even Europe but not here. Also from what I've read the Outlander PHEV is supposed to have a rather small battery, limiting it's EV range, a big mistake IMO. No I think if the Pacifica actually comes out, has a somewhat decent range(>30 miles) EV only and has all the features required for the N. American public I feel they'll have a winner on their hands, leaving Mitsubishi to play catch-up, if they even release anything.
Speaking of other Asian companies that abandon the N. American market AFA cars, remember Isuzu.....at one point they had a full line of vehicles in N. America, cars, SUVs and pickups, then they dropped cars, now all they sell here are their commercial line of trucks, which do pretty well figuring how many I see on the road.

FWIW, Nissan seems to be in talks to take control of Mitsubishi Motors http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Deals/Mitsubishi-Motors-seeks-new-road-to-reform-with-Nissan-s-help perhaps 30%

that would give Carlos the podium for European Plugins
http://ev-sales.blogspot.com.au/2016/04/europe-march-2016.html

Pl Model Sales
1 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 3,661
2 Nissan Leaf 3,542
3 Renault Zoe 2,768
4 Tesla Model S 2,189
5 Volkswagen Golf GTE 1,574

It's official: Nissan is going to take a 34% share of Mitsubishi Motors http://jalopnik.com/nissan-will-take-control-of-mitsubishi-motors-1776219367

RonDawg said:
I'm not worried about Mitsubishi Automobiles surviving as a company. They are part of a huge conglomerate which undoubtedly helps the auto side of their business work. If Suzuki can continue to survive (albeit outside the US now), so can Mitsubishi.
It used to be the case that Mitsu was part of the conglomerate. Apparently not anymore - they operate more like independent companies - and the system companies aren't really doing well and can't support Mitsu Motors.

The news of Nissan buying part of the stake makes that situation clear.

Now, the question is - will Ghosn start influencing these kinds of decisions of Mitsu (on whether or when to get the PHEV to US) or will he keep his distance ?

evnow said:
Now, the question is - will Ghosn start influencing these kinds of decisions of Mitsu (on whether or when to get the PHEV to US) or will he keep his distance ?

As long as Mitsubishi federal rebate quota does not interfere with Nissan's. Mitsubishi will simply hold schedule, probably with a bit extra funding from Nissan.

More importantly, this tie up probably assists Mitsubishi in bring its XR-PHEV to market (Outlander Sport PHEV). If Nissan can borrow some of that tech, it could result in something like a Nissan Rogue PHEV at a price similar to a what a hypothetical 6cyl Rogue would've cost.

ydnas7 said:
As long as Mitsubishi federal rebate quota does not interfere with Nissan's. Mitsubishi will simply hold schedule, probably with a bit extra funding from Nissan.
Fairly sure those companies will be treated separately. Nissan doesn't own majority stake in Mitsu - even if it did, not sure what IRS would do. If they are different registered companies in US, they will probably get their own 200k quotas.

One place where it can help - is by having common dealers i.e. having Nissan dealers selling Mitsus and the other way round.

evnow said:
ydnas7 said:
Fairly sure those companies will be treated separately. Nissan doesn't own majority stake in Mitsu - even if it did, not sure what IRS would do. If they are different registered companies in US, they will probably get their own 200k quotas.

One place where it can help - is by having common dealers i.e. having Nissan dealers selling Mitsus and the other way round.

It's similar to when Ford owned a stake in Mazda; its not a 'controlling' interest so the Fed Tax Credit should still be applied separately; Ford also had about 1/3 (33.4%) so we can probably expect the same kind of cross-platform cars and trucks within both companies. The Ford divesture also sold their interest in Jaguar, Land Rover, etc. and the Jag brand is now coming back (better reliability, new models that are actually selling as well as offering a 5-year free maintenance plan) so I think this should be very positive for both companies.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=6293317&page=1

Via IEVS:
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Again Delayed In US Until Summer 2017, Another Weak Excuse Given
http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-delayed-us-summer-2017/
Stop us if you have heard this one before…

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVs release for the US has been delayed
We bet you have, because this makes the 6th time we have heard this song (or possibly 7th time-who can count them all, it’s a lot).

This month’s delay pushes the Outlander PHEV’s release in the US back another full year, until summer of 2017. . . .

GRA said:
Via IEVS:
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Again Delayed In US Until Summer 2017, Another Weak Excuse Given
http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-delayed-us-summer-2017/...
Not surprising.

Mitsubishi can sell all the Outlander PHEV's it can produce at a profit outside the USA, and this model is in fact in second place world-wide so far this year in PHEV sales.

http://ev-sales.blogspot.com/2016/07/world-top-20-june-2016-special-edition.html

The fact is, Mitsu would probably need to discount the Outlander PHEV to such an extent that it would be a money-loser in the USA, just as most other mass market PHEVs are.

The American vehicle market is an anomaly due to very low gas prices, which some people seem not to realize undercuts the competiveness of PHEVs, far more than they do BEVs.

Take a look at this chart from ~five years ago, to remind yourself how unlikely the current combination of low battery and low gas prices seemed when the BEVs and PHEVs being produced today were undergoing development:

I think that Nissan was looking at the ZEV credit allocations, and thinking that if they can sell re-badged Leafs as Mitsubishis, and re-badged Outlander PHEVs as Nissans, it could be very good for both companies. That's just an off the cuff analysis, though.

No wonder Mitsubishi can't seem to sell vehicles in this country......I mean if they came up with a revamped PHEV Outlander they might actually sell something.......don't want that though, do they :roll:
Summer of '17, what a joke!

Back