How long 'til 4th bar drops?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@baustin

That makes a lot of sense, and it would be nice for the folks that have to pay for the replacement if they got the full 5 year/60k warranty, too.

If I learn that I will only have a very short warranty, I guess I will tend toward babying the new battery. Since I am not the car's original owner, I have no idea how it was used/abused, so hopefully taking good care of it, and the newer chemistry, will help it last longer than the original.

Good news here as well. I went in yesterday because my 9th bar dropped on Wednesday and I was approved for a replacement pack. I will be getting a 2016 pack which is awesome. They didn't specify 24/30kW size so I'm not sure but hey, a new pack, that's all that matters.

Also, the 4th bar dropped at:
41.19Ahr
62% SoH
41% Hx
301 QC
2941 L1/L2
57,681 Miles.

This is such a relief. :mrgreen:

I will also be moving to Fort Carson, Colorado (Colorado Springs) in April of 2017 so I will be in a much cooler climate and at a much higher elevation than where I am now. Nissan says my pack is back-ordered, and will take from 6 to 8 weeks for delivery, then about 3 days to install which will be covered with a loaner.

The local 3 dealerships were completely inept as well. One said my VIN would pull up an Infiniti, the other hates the Leaf and always claims their Leaf tech is "always busy", and the 3rd dealer wanted to argue flat out that 8 bars is normal.

Until I called the Leaf help desk did I get some resolve. The person I spoke with quite politely stated that Nissan pays quite well to train these techs and dealers so they can handle the Leaf and that he was upset for the trouble I was having. He scheduled my appointment with Fred Anderson Nissan of Fayetteville after speaking with the GM and manager of the service dept. I drove in, had the pack tested, and left with a paper stating warranty approval and what to expect next.

If in doubt, call Leaf support.

@BradFoxUS

Congrats! The replacement will be a 24 kWh pack. The 30 kWh pack isn't backwards compatible with pre-2016 leafs (unfortunately).

RCEV13 said:
I got good news from Nissan today. In my case they've agreed to cover 90% of the cost of the replacement which I think is fair given the circumstances. I'm happy. Case closed.
That's awesome, and I'm glad you're happy with the result.

I've had the opposite experience. After opening a case with the EV hotline the other week and escalating it to a manager after initially denied out of warranty assistance (missed 5 years by 2 months), they would not budge at all.

Never should have gone out of my way to baby the pack, could have saved myself quite a bit of money. Off to BBB arbitration, now.

That is awesome news that RCEV13 got. I would be happy if I were in his shoes.

Sorry to hear about your case drees. :( Hope you can get a similar deal. The capacity warranty should have been prorated w/reasonable percentages that customers pay if past the 5 years/60K miles. Better yet, it should've really warranted what Mark Perry said in video of about 70 to 80% remaining at the 10 year mark.

tungsten said:
... One thing I'm still trying to find out, is if the capacity warranty replacement batteries come with a warranty. ...
On capacity they are covered for the remainder of the original 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty, or at least one year.
On defects I think they are covered for the remainder of the original 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty but I do not know for certain and still need to confirm it.

drees said:
... Off to BBB arbitration, now.
Good luck drees.
The perception of Nissan would be much better and they would have saved themselves a lot of trouble if they had listened to you and the rest of the LEAF Advisory Board and offered some form of pre-established proration approach.

They might have still lost a few BBB cases for the battery being defective.
But most people would have just accepted a reasonable proration.

@TimLee

Thanks! I'll try to confirm the defect warranty when I go in on Monday.

Looks like the capacity warranty is kind of a moot point, since the odds of a new battery dropping 4 bars in the remainder of a typical warranty period (or even 1 year), is slim to none, unless the battery is defective.

@Drees

Good luck! I wonder if you could request the contact info for the representative that assisted RCEV13?

tungsten said:
Good luck! I wonder if you could request the contact info for the representative that assisted RCEV13?
I suppose it's possible. I'd be very curious as to what determines whether or not they provide out-of-warranty assistance. There's a good number of people that have reported getting assistance, but no-one that I'm aware of that's quite in my position. Those that I can recall either went over slightly in miles while still under 5 years, or were even closer to the 5-year cutoff or opted out of the battery capacity settlement.

Would be interesting to start collecting data to see what the pattern is, though frankly, I've had it with Nissan at this point.

After all that my wife says, "you should have pushed for Nissan to go 100%."

90% was honestly better than I expected after reading some had been outright denied. I also apologized to the Nissan rep who had been working my case the past 2 weeks. I was kind of an asshole the first two times we talked but I got better over time once I accepted that EV cars are still relatively new in modern society, and that this particular Nissan rep was just doing her job.

RCEV13 said:
So, thanks again Tiffany.
Tiffany is the same woman who worked my case. 100% pleasant to talk to, but 0% results for me. I was pleasant the whole time, but perhaps I should not have been.

In the end, I suspect that you got warranty assistance because you only barely exceeded the mileage limit and was still in the time limit.

drees said:
RCEV13 said:
I got good news from Nissan today. In my case they've agreed to cover 90% of the cost of the replacement which I think is fair given the circumstances. I'm happy. Case closed.
That's awesome, and I'm glad you're happy with the result.

I've had the opposite experience. After opening a case with the EV hotline the other week and escalating it to a manager after initially denied out of warranty assistance (missed 5 years by 2 months), they would not budge at all.

Never should have gone out of my way to baby the pack, could have saved myself quite a bit of money. Off to BBB arbitration, now.

Good Luck! Its too bad they are unlikely to look at your huge contributions to the EV community. It should mean something

With these numbers, shouldn't my 8 bar have dropped by now ?
Is there a minimum mileage number required?
Appreciate your comments.

Year= 2012
Odo =42,789
AHr= 41.53
SOH=63%
Hx=42.01%
QC=58
L2=3374

VIN= JN1AZ0CP4CT017192

Warranty ends March 2017

regards,

rickcama

rickcama said:

Year= 2012
Odo =42,789
AHr= 41.53
SOH=63%
Hx=42.01%
QC=58
L2=3374

VIN= JN1AZ0CP4CT017192

Warranty ends March 2017

regards,

rickcama

It will vary but you have plenty of time and mileage to reach that point. Sit tight, you are next!

rickcama said:
You are close.
But some people like Karl took two months with numbers like yours or worse for bar nine to drop.
No minimum mileage required.
I lost bar nine at 34,000 miles.
Some were less miles.

rickcama said:

Year= 2012
Odo =42,789
AHr= 41.53
SOH=63%
Hx=42.01%
QC=58
L2=3374

VIN= JN1AZ0CP4CT017192

Warranty ends March 2017

regards,

rickcama

Based on some numbers I ran there are probably 10-20% of vehicles (reported) that dropped the 8th bar with worse AHr and SOH numbers. That also means 80-90% of vehicles that dropped the 8th bar had better numbers so I think yours should drop any time now.

Do you have GID and corresponding SOC numbers as well??

So I am very confused about the when the 4th bar drops situation. It can be battery health range between 63% to 65%. It can be aHr between 41 to 44. It seems like the Nissan Leaf software is spinning a roulette wheel to figure out when to drop the bar. I am a software programmer and my software uses an exact value to determine a status or pass/fail situation. Does anyone know why Nissan does this? It's kinda driving me crazy knowing I have only a few months left for the warranty and just got to 64% battery health.

:D :D :D :D :D A very exciting day for me. My 4th bar just dropped today on my 2012 Leaf. Yaaaaaah. 43,038 miles, 57 months, aHr = 42.36, SOH = 64%, 391.10V, Hx = 57.89%, 3335 L1/L2s. Will make an appt. next week for my new batteries. :D :D :D :D :D

@newmanji

Congratulations!! I am still waiting on my new battery to be delivered to Oahu. The dealership told me it could take 2 months, which seems to be a longer estimate than most people receive. It's only been 17 days, so I have a ways to go. If you're on the mainland, it seems like many people have gotten their batteries in a week or two.

Back