Official Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
GRA said:
Via IEVS:
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Again Delayed In US Until Summer 2017, Another Weak Excuse Given
http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-delayed-us-summer-2017/...
Not surprising.

Mitsubishi can sell all the Outlander PHEV's it can produce at a profit outside the USA, and this model is in fact in second place world-wide so far this year in PHEV sales.

http://ev-sales.blogspot.com/2016/07/world-top-20-june-2016-special-edition.html
As I posted elsewhere, in Britain, the Outlander is currently outselling the Nissan LEAF by a nearly 2:1 ratio.

Perhaps their excuse for not selling it here is that they already sell all the Outalanders they can build, but it seems they must be missing a big opportunity here.

RegGuheert said:
edatoakrun said:
GRA said:
Via IEVS: http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-delayed-us-summer-2017/...
Not surprising.

Mitsubishi can sell all the Outlander PHEV's it can produce at a profit outside the USA, and this model is in fact in second place world-wide so far this year in PHEV sales.

http://ev-sales.blogspot.com/2016/07/world-top-20-june-2016-special-edition.html
As I posted elsewhere, in Britain, the Outlander is currently outselling the Nissan LEAF by a nearly 2:1 ratio.

Perhaps their excuse for not selling it here is that they already sell all the Outalanders they can build, but it seems they must be missing a big opportunity here.
$62.1k base MSRP X5 xDrive40es are selling quite well here (876 last month; ranked 7th among all PEVs), and more expensive XC90 T8s and Cayenne S-E Hybrids are doing okay, typically 150-200/month. The first company to offer an affordable AWD PHEV CUV here, unless it's a total disaster, will clean up. The A3 e-tron Sportback's the closest to that now, and although it lacks cargo space with the seats up and AWD, it's typically selling about 350/month; there's now one in my (walking distance) neighborhood, along with three LEAFs, a Volt 1, PiP and a Fusion Energi. It's sad that GM didn't take advantage of the unexpected 3 year window that Mitsubishi gave them, and haven't produced the Voltec-powered small AWD CUV many of us have been asking for since the Volt was first introduced.

Via IEVS:
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Gets Performance Upgrade, Slightly More Range
http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-improved-2017-model-year-outlander-phev/

In 2017, Mitsubishi says it has “extensively revised” the utility vehicle by introducing some new features, performance additions, and wait for it … improving the all-electric range by one more mile!

• all-electric range increases from up to 32 miles to 33 miles (53 km) via its 12 kWh battery (NEDC rating -think about ~22-23 miles (35-37 km) real world/EPA equivalent

a new EV priority mode is actuated by a new switch to allows the driver to operate the vehicle in EV mode – without the engine starting (provided of course that the battery is charged enough to power the motor). This feature will extend the non-engine operation to more situations compared with the traditional modes.

performance: 0-62mph (100 km/h) in 11 seconds, up to 244lb/ft of torque

towing capacity is ample at 1,500kg

improved regenerative braking – steering wheel paddles to better adjust regeneration

the drive battery output has been improved by 10% (thus keeping the Outlander PHEV in all-electric mode more often – and adding more capably)

faster DC CHAdeMO charging to 80% (in 25 minutes instead 30 minutes)

new Cool Silver color option

CO2 emissions have also been lowered by 1g/km to 41g/km, with an average weighted fuel consumption of 166 mpg – a 6.4% increase versus the previous version

Safety features have also been further developed and improved on the 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Forward Collision Mitigation technology, standard on the Mitsubishi Outlander 4hs and 5hs versions, now features for Pedestrian Detection for added safety, while Blind Spot Warning and Rear Cross Traffic Alert have both been introduced on the 4h variant to assist the driver when reversing out of a space. For example, if traffic is coming from the right, the icon located on the right-hand mirror will light up, accompanied by an audio alert. . . .
Now, if they'd just bring the damned thing here.

GRA said:
Now, if they'd just bring the damned thing here.
+1 the whole thing with Mitsubishi delaying the PHEV for N. America only cements my idea that Mitsubishi is a lost cause, I'd really really like it to work but at this point have almost 0% confidence they'll actually get anything done before they go belly up :( and my feeling is not alone, lots of Mitsubishi hate on some of the EV forums for jerking people around for going on what, 5 years of unfulfilled promises!
I was reading an article the other day that Mitsubishi was going to pull out of Russia! of all places, after apparently only selling a handfull of their PHEV Outlanders and losing money trying. Yes trying to sell a PHEV in a country where gas is plentiful and the cost for the PHEV is considerably more than a gas burning Outlander, great move Mitsubishi :roll:

jjeff said:
+1 the whole thing with Mitsubishi delaying the PHEV for N. America only cements my idea that Mitsubishi is a lost cause, I'd really really like it to work but at this point have almost 0% confidence they'll actually get anything done before they go belly up :(
I doubt Mitsubishi Motors will go belly up. Nissan owns a controlling stake in them now: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mitsubishimotors-nissan-idUSKCN12K0DX and http://visionnissanmitsubishi.com/.

But, it's possible MMNA (http://www.mitsubishicars.com/who-we-are/company-info) could get closed down.

I'm sooo glad to see that Ukraine and Mitsubishi have their priorities straight - it's not as if either the country or the company have any more pressing issues to deal with:
Mitsubishi Motors to supply 635 Outlander PHEVs to National Police of Ukraine
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/01/20170127-ooutlander.html

. . . These vehicles are to be delivered around July 2017.

The supply stems from an emissions trading agreement signed by a number of Japanese companies with the Government of Ukraine. As part of its policy to reduce CO2 and greenhouse gas emissions using the Green Investment Scheme under the Kyoto Protocol, the Ukrainian government will use the Outlander PHEVs as police vehicles. . . .

GRA said:
I'm sooo glad to see that Ukraine and Mitsubishi have their priorities straight - it's not as if either the country or the company have any more pressing issues to deal with:
Mitsubishi Motors to supply 635 Outlander PHEVs to National Police of Ukraine
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/01/20170127-ooutlander.html

. . . These vehicles are to be delivered around July 2017.

The supply stems from an emissions trading agreement signed by a number of Japanese companies with the Government of Ukraine. As part of its policy to reduce CO2 and greenhouse gas emissions using the Green Investment Scheme under the Kyoto Protocol, the Ukrainian government will use the Outlander PHEVs as police vehicles. . . .

Just because there are higher priorities doesn't mean that this is not a priority. I'm glad that they take the issue of their emissions into our single, shared atmosphere seriously as opposed to a certain other country.

GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:
I'm sooo glad to see that Ukraine and Mitsubishi have their priorities straight - it's not as if either the country or the company have any more pressing issues to deal with: <snip>
Just because there are higher priorities doesn't mean that this is not a priority. I'm glad that they take the issue of their emissions into our single, shared atmosphere seriously as opposed to a certain other country.
I'd be a lot more impressed if Mitsubishi finally imported the Outlander into the U.S., a much larger market than Ukraine, which will have a far greater effect on GHGs.

Well it's almost August......what do you think the chances the incompetent putzes at Mitsubishi will actually deliver the Outlander PHEV to N. America :roll:
http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/2016-outlander-phev-will-debut-at-new-york-auto-show-in-march-go-on-sale-in-august/
Or do you think they meant August 2018 ;)
edit:
Oh wait, it was supposed to be October........2016 :roll:

jjeff said:
Well it's almost August......what do you think the chances the incompetent putzes at Mitsubishi will actually deliver the Outlander PHEV to N. America :roll:
http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/2016-outlander-phev-will-debut-at-new-york-auto-show-in-march-go-on-sale-in-august/
Or do you think they meant August 2018 ;)
edit:
Oh wait, it was supposed to be October........2016 :roll:
Via IEVS:
Mitsubishi i-MiEV Done In US. And The Outlander PHEV? Yupe, It’s Delayed. Again. Still.
http://insideevs.com/i-miev-done-in-us-outlander-phev-delayed/

. . . We have learned over the years (since ~2013ish), the Mitsubishi USA website listing for the Outlander PHEV of course means nothing, as everyone in the US knows that the plug-in Outlander as been delayed by our count at least 7 times since 2013…and shortly to be 8 times. The most recent promise was for a Summer 2017 arrival.

However, Mitsubishi rep Erica Rasch when noting the i-MiEV’s demise, managed to sneak in the note that Outlander PHV would indeed launch this year (whatever that means), and arrive at Mitsu dealers nationwide “during the first quarter of 2018“. We guess this was meant as a positive?

In our books, Mitsubishi has cried wolf once too many times in the US on the Outlander PHEV’s arrival, so we will only believe sales/introduction targets for the popular (everywhere else) plug-in utility vehicles, when we physically see the first Outlander PHV on a US dealer’s lot for sale.
:roll: The putzes remain in charge. At this point, I kind of wonder if anyone cares. Tthere will be Escape and Buick (Volt-based) PHEV CUVs in the next two years or so. Talk about throwing away your early mover advantage.

Via GCR:
2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV starts at $35,500; aggressive prices for plug-in hybrid SUV
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...5500-aggressive-prices-for-plug-in-hybrid-suv

. . .Before any federal or state incentives, the base Outlander PHEV starts at just $35,535, with the top-of-the-line GT S-AWC model coming in at $41,235. Both prices include a mandatory delivery fee of $940.

Both crossover utility vehicles qualify for a federal tax rebate of up to $5,836, meaning the plug-in hybrid model will be "extremely competitive" with the standard gasoline versions of the Outlander, Mitsubishi representatives said at a California launch event in Huntington Beach, California today.
So, $34,595 base MSRP + $940 dest.

The base Outlander PHEV is similarly equipped to the gas-powered SEL trim level. It comes with leather seats, blind spot warning, and lane keep assist, among other features. Features specific to the plug-in mdoel include a power passenger seat, a smartphone EV remote control app, and a CHAdeMO DC fast-charging port.

Opting for the GT S-AWC trim level gets you a 710-watt Rockford Fosgate audio system, adaptive cruise control, a power sunroof, and LED headlights. Most importantly for "glampers," the top-of-the-line GT S-AWC model is the one that offers two standard 120-volt outlets from a 1,500-watt AC power inverter, making the plug-in GT perfect for long tailgates where you want to run a TV and a blender or mini fridge.

Mitsubishi didn't say how long the Outlander PHEV's 12-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack will power all of these goodies while parked. But, the company said, the 2.0-liter 4-cylinder gasoline engine will kick on to act as a generator if you run out of electricity and don't mind a bit of exhaust with your nachos. . . .
Plenty of room for de-contenting to get the base price down even more - lose the leather/power seats and CHAdeMO (unnecessary for a PHEV with a battery that size), blind spot warning and lane-keeping assist.

Considering in my market anyway, you can easily get a new '17 Outlander SE AWD for under $22.5k and '18's with 2WD(both with 3 row seating which the PHEV lacks AFAIK) for ~$25k, even at $35k they are asking $10k+ more for the PHEV....
I agree, still room to lower the price. Mitsubishi is a notoriously cheap brand, almost third worldish IMO, selling for less than than the Korean brands(which are well build now days) I wish them luck but IMO they are a little too late to the game.
Typing this up I was remembering some Mitusi SUVs sold in the teens not all that long ago, I think that was the Outlander Sport model, which seems to have been removed from the Mitsui lineup :?

GRA said:
... CHAdeMO (unnecessary for a PHEV with a battery that size)...
I would expect the Outlander's kWh capacity probably will be increased soon, as battery energy density has more than doubled since the PHEV was introduced.

I'm pleased that (if reports are correct) the USA market Outlander will have CHAdeMO as a standard feature, and hope NMR makes this a policy for all future BEVs, BEVxs, and PHEVs it introduces in the USA.

Many do not seem to understand that a PHEV or BEVx with a CHAdeMO port and an energy distribution device could be used as a a micro-grid generator, supplying a building and recharging BEVs, or as a mobile power supply in grid-failure emergencies, supply an off-grid cabin or campsite, etc.

In those applications, a DC port is even more useful in a vehicle with an ICE generator on-board, than in a BEV without one.

Let's hope all of the drive modes are also available in the USA, which will allow versatility in use of both on-board energy supplies:

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Lands In The U.S. From $35,535

...There are six drive modes offered in the Outlander PHEV, three of which the vehicle controls and three of which the driver can select. As the name implies, EV Drive Mode sees the SUV running purely on electric power. By comparison, Parallel Hybrid Mode uses the petrol engine and only the electric motors when necessary. Series Hybrid Mode then uses the petrol engine as a generator to charge the battery while the electric motors send power to the ground. As for the driver-selected modes, they are Eco Mode, Battery Save Mode and Battery Charge Mode...
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/2018-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-lands-in.html

Press release at http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170928005544/en/Mitsubishi-Outlander-PHEV-Offers-Worlds-EV-Efficiency has a whole bunch more info.

If it showed up a few years ago in the US and also qualified for green CA HOV stickers (unclear if this does as it'd need to meed enhanced AT-PZEV emissions requirements), they could've gotten a pretty decent PHEV share.

edatoakrun said:
GRA said:
... CHAdeMO (unnecessary for a PHEV with a battery that size)...
I would expect the Outlander's kWh capacity probably will be increased soon, as battery energy density has more than doubled since the PHEV was introduced.

I'm pleased that (if reports are correct) the USA market Outlander will have CHAdeMO as a standard feature, and hope NMR makes this a policy for all future BEVs, BEVxs, and PHEVs it introduces in the USA.

Many do not seem to understand that a PHEV or BEVx with a CHAdeMO port and an energy distribution device could be used as a a micro-grid generator, supplying a building and recharging BEVs, or as a mobile power supply in grid-failure emergencies, supply an off-grid cabin or campsite, etc.

In those applications, a DC port is even more useful in a vehicle with an ICE generator on-board, than in a BEV without one.
Sure, it's a nice to have feature, but not an essential one for a PHEV, even if the battery capacity is increased by 50% or more ala i3. Getting the base price of PEVs down so that the maximum number of people can afford them is more important for now IMO - those who want CHAdeMO and/or the built-in inverter for 120V AC capability can pay for them. The value of multi-energy source vehicles like PHEVs has certainly been re-emphasized recently.

edatoakrun said:
Let's hope all of the drive modes are also available in the USA, which will allow versatility in use of both on-board energy supplies:

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Lands In The U.S. From $35,535

...There are six drive modes offered in the Outlander PHEV, three of which the vehicle controls and three of which the driver can select. As the name implies, EV Drive Mode sees the SUV running purely on electric power. By comparison, Parallel Hybrid Mode uses the petrol engine and only the electric motors when necessary. Series Hybrid Mode then uses the petrol engine as a generator to charge the battery while the electric motors send power to the ground. As for the driver-selected modes, they are Eco Mode, Battery Save Mode and Battery Charge Mode...
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/2018-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-lands-in.html
Yup, the more options for control of the car that it allows the driver, the better.

cwerdna said:
Press release at http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170928005544/en/Mitsubishi-Outlander-PHEV-Offers-Worlds-EV-Efficiency has a whole bunch more info.

If it showed up a few years ago in the US and also qualified for green CA HOV stickers (unclear if this does as it'd need to meed enhanced AT-PZEV emissions requirements), they could've gotten a pretty decent PHEV share.
Any excitement over it is certainly gone now, especially with the Escape PHEV and one or two others likely to show up in the next year or so, and the Outlander's still mediocre performance not helping - the bar's unquestionably been raised. Still, at least for a little while yet it remains the only reasonably affordable AWD PHEV CUV or SUV on the market, and I think there's a large demand for that. While I intend to wait to replace my Forester until I can afford to buy a ZEV AWD CUV, if I had to replace it in the near future I'd at least consider the Outlander (if I could get one without leather seats).

I agree:
2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV: first drive of plug-in hybrid SUV

...Unless you want to spend more than $60,000, there's really no other plug-in vehicle on sale today that's well-suited for rough terrain.

The Outlander PHEV isn't a true back-country off-road vehicle, but it manages to pack four-wheel drive (what Mitsubishi calls its S-AWC, or Super All-Wheel Control) into a roomy package that felt right at home on the dirt...

The crossover utility's low center of gravity (the battery is, unsurprisingly, mounted as low as possible) meant that handling on the dirt roads was not a challenge.

Even some sudden braking (seriously, who expected to see a school bus way out there?) didn't result in any sense of danger or loss of control, and the steering feel was direct enough to feel the rocks in the road without too much float.

In short, anyone who buys the Outlander PHEV for normal U.S. family usage should drive away happy...

What's perhaps most impressive is that you get all of this for a base price of just $35,535 for the SEL trim level, including the mandatory delivery fee.

The Outlander PHEV's 12-kilowatt-hour battery pack qualifies it for a federal income-tax credit of up to $5,836, which will bring that price down to less than $30,000 for most people after incentives..
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1113002_2018-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-first-drive-of-plug-in-hybrid-suv

Another first drive review, also from Catalina Island, via ABG:
2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV First Drive | Nailing the sweet spot
It's an all-wheel-drive crossover. It plugs in. And it's coming to America at just the right time.
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/02/2018-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-first-drive-review/
Looks like a flat or nearly flat floor with the rear seats folded down, and lots of room. Now someone needs to drive this thing on something other than 25 mph dirt roads to see how it does.

Back