Range Chart

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bitflung said:
In the end I'm trying to figure out:

Really this discussion needs to be in another thread and we need screeshots from leafspy so we have access to all the numbers not just part of them. You'll have to present all the data without conclusions and let us build the case.

If you have leafspy you don't need to use the range charts this thread is about.

But just as a quick aside it's all the same no matter if it is a Leaf, a Prius or a geo metro. Speed, temperature, tire pressure, elevation, etcetera. I have no problem driving 70 miles on a leaf with 77% SOH but then I probably drive slower than you and I'm not afraid to drive will into VLBW.

If you are stopping to charge as soon as the first low battery warning sounds you are leaving 20% or so on the table unused that you should be willing to dip into. One of the big advantages of leafspy is that it doesn't blank out below VLBW you know exactly what your SOC% is even when you have less than 8 miles remaining (or whatever the GOM says just before you switch to dashes).

aHr is the number to look at if you think the pack was reset

1 bar lost around 50 aHr
2 bars lost around 46 aHr
3 bars lost around 42 aHr

if your isn't in line with your SOH% then make a new thread with a title like "another used car sold with reset bars" and we'll dig into it there.

bitflung said:
so would YOU expect more than ~40 miles of range on a 100% charge given the above conditions? or would you hit ~40 miles, shuffle off to a charger, and think, "yup, seems about right"?

Well, for my 2015 S I get a lot more than 5 miles from LBW. You seem to only be counting the miles from 100% down to LBW, but you are comparing to miles to total depletion. Have you had a chance to experiment much below LBW? I know estimated range is a guess, but mine typically shows 17 miles, and I've roughly gotten that or more from LBW to turtle. That difference would put you much closer to in line with the expectation.

kikngas said:
Well, for my 2015 S I get a lot more than 5 miles from LBW. You seem to only be counting the miles from 100% down to LBW, but you are comparing to miles to total depletion. Have you had a chance to experiment much below LBW? I know estimated range is a guess, but mine typically shows 17 miles, and I've roughly gotten that or more from LBW to turtle. That difference would put you much closer to in line with the expectation.

Same here with my 2105 SL. From LBW to turtle I get 15-17 miles.

dhanson865 said:
bitflung said:
In the end I'm trying to figure out:

Really this discussion needs to be in another thread and we need screeshots from leafspy so we have access to all the numbers not just part of them. You'll have to present all the data without conclusions and let us build the case.
new thread is started here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21706&p=457087#p457087

If you have leafspy you don't need to use the range charts this thread is about.
fair enough, though i'm still unsure why my range appears to limited.

But just as a quick aside it's all the same no matter if it is a Leaf, a Prius or a geo metro. Speed, temperature, tire pressure, elevation, etcetera. I have no problem driving 70 miles on a leaf with 77% SOH but then I probably drive slower than you and I'm not afraid to drive will into VLBW.
i've tried to test my range below LBW in the past, when i didn't have a toddler in the back seat and was close to home. i made it to turtle then plugged in. this was in in warm weather (september, north east USA) and with high mi/kwh (~4.5) mostly driving ~25 mph on backroads. range was ~64 miles in those conditions.

If you are stopping to charge as soon as the first low battery warning sounds you are leaving 20% or so on the table unused that you should be willing to dip into.
ok, i'll take that. 20% is huge. i'll try to track with leaf spy more in the future to get a better handle on this.

One of the big advantages of leafspy is that it doesn't blank out below VLBW you know exactly what your SOC% is even when you have less than 8 miles remaining (or whatever the GOM says just before you switch to dashes).
yup, i see that benefit. though in practice it doesn't seem to help much on long trips. i hit multiple nissan dealerships back to back with dead DCQC stations and was well beyond my comfort level on a cold night with a toddler in the back and not knowing whether or not the NEXT station would be functional when i got there... having some buffer in the battery seems to be a necessity rather than a luxury in practice. you never know when poorly maintained infrastructure would have you driving another 20+ miles beyond your planned stopping point :(

aHr is the number to look at if you think the pack was reset

1 bar lost around 50 aHr
2 bars lost around 46 aHr
3 bars lost around 42 aHr

if your isn't in line with your SOH% then make a new thread with a title like "another used car sold with reset bars" and we'll dig into it there.
interesting. according to leafspy i've got 55.62Ahr (though it only charges to ~90% so that's ~50AHr effective. maybe that's what you mean with the above?)

convo to continue at the new thread.

thanks much,
-bit

Addendum: For the 30kWh LEAF, and assuming a warm battery (over 70F/20C temperature) and level roads with zero cabin heater use, no headwinds:

------------------------------65mph-------------70mph-------------75mph-------------80mph
--------------------------3.9 miles/kWh---3.6miles/kWh---3.3miles/kWh---2.9miles/kWh
--------------------------- RANGE--------------- RANGE------------- RANGE----------- RANGE
100% -- 26.5kWh------103---------------------95---------------------87------------------77

TonyWilliams said:
Addendum: For the 30kWh LEAF, and assuming a warm battery (over 70F/20C temperature) and level roads with zero cabin heater use, no headwinds:

------------------------------65mph-------------70mph-------------75mph-------------80mph
--------------------------3.9 miles/kWh---3.6miles/kWh---3.3miles/kWh---2.9miles/kWh
--------------------------- RANGE--------------- RANGE------------- RANGE----------- RANGE
100% -- 26.5kWh------103---------------------95---------------------87------------------77

Curious, is there any reason why the miles/kWh for the 30kWh battery quoted above is more generous than the 24kWh shown in the OP by 0.3 miles/kWh? The chart for the 24kWh only shows 3.6miles/kWh at 65mph.

babonbangke said:
TonyWilliams said:

Curious, is there any reason why the miles/kWh for the 30kWh battery quoted above is more generous than the 24kWh shown in the OP by 0.3 miles/kWh? The chart for the 24kWh only shows 3.6miles/kWh at 65mph.

The original chart was purposely about 10% pessimistic.

I'm at ~200 GIDs at full charge.
According to this (old? out-of-date?) chart, my battery should be at 8 bars.
I'm still at 10 bars.

I guess that's one of the "software updates" that Nissan compelled the dealers to install during an inspection.
Dammit, now I feel like I was cheated out of a replacement battery. :evil:
TonyWilliams said:
LEAFrangeChartVersion7F.jpg

garsh said:
I'm still at 10 bars.
FWIW, I lost my 3rd bar at 204 GIDs (on a full charge) and my 4th bar at 177 GIDs (and yes, I had the updated firmware). So I'd expect that you'd lose the 3rd bar very soon now. But it took me over a year to drop the last bar (since bar 3 dropped in late summer).

garsh said:
I'm still at 10 bars.

The chart that you referenced is clearly marked for a 100% capacity. That's not you. There are other charts, like these one. You need to be below 66% to win the new battery.

Use this 75% chart for a battery that has 10 of 12 capacity bar segments.

Use this 69% chart for a battery that has 9 of 12 capacity bar segments.

Use this 63% chart for a battery that has 8 of 12 capacity bar segments.

garsh said:
I'm still at 10 bars.
You're confusing Status of Charge Bars and Capacity Bars.

The range chart has nothing to do with Capacity Bars.

It is using Status of Charge bars.

There is NO correlation between the two.

TonyWilliams said:

LEAFrangeChartVersion7F.jpg
Tony, were you off by a cell? In your .jpg version for 24 kWh Leafs, you list 60 mph as being 3.9 miles/kWh and 82 miles. 1.262 * 82 = 103.484, but that was for 60 mph, not 65 mph.

3.9 miles/kWh doesn't sound right for 65 mph.

TonyWilliams said:
The original chart was purposely conservative.

The LEAF will do 4.0 at 65mph with the original Bridgestone tires, and only a little less (3.9) with the Michelins.
Ok, gotcha. It had looked like you were off by a cell.

Tony,

What does "controlling" mean, in the sentence

'The Mile/kWh value in red below is controlling, NOT speed'

Stanton said:
Ahh...to dream! Brings back memories of when all we had were these charts...

Indeed we are much better off now. My rule of thumb while driving was to assign 7 miles per bar if I drove carefully, or 5 miles per bar on the interstate. I also used the hrs:mins to full charge at 120v on the dash to predict when a bar was about to go out and should therefore not be counted into my DTE estimate.

Now a quick glance at LEAFspy pro is all that's needed.

Back