Paris Auto Show reveal?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoulderLeaf

Well it looks like a few sources are reporting that Nissan is going to reveal something EV related at the Paris Auto Show. The first I saw mentioned an EV concept, but this one is saying the new LEAF is to be debuted (the working is a bit ambiguous):

http://pushevs.com/2016/09/15/paris-motor-show-2016-preview/

This kind of lines up with other hints of a December availability, and would be what is needed to compete with the Bolt, timeline wise.

I'm very curious to see what happens!

The Alliance is expected to show the facelifted Nissan Leaf and the Renault Zoe R400 with a new 43-45 kWh battery. Both EVs will be great cheaper alternatives to the star of the show, the Opel Ampera-e.

If I can get a better price on a 45 kWh, especially if it's not selling well against the new Bolt standard, that might be good enough for me.

It’s also a good time to finally introduce a bigger battery to Renault Kangoo ZE and Nissan e-NV200 EVALIA. The electric vans should already be testing the 60 kWh battery that will be used in the second generation Leaf, but even the 43-45 kWh battery would be a great upgrade.

Id be happy if they'd offer the van here at all.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
It’s also a good time to finally introduce a bigger battery to Renault Kangoo ZE and Nissan e-NV200 EVALIA. The electric vans should already be testing the 60 kWh battery that will be used in the second generation Leaf, but even the 43-45 kWh battery would be a great upgrade.

Id be happy if they'd offer the van here at all.
+1
I'd really prefer the eNV-200 or similar but will probably go with a Chrysler Pacifica PHEV if Nissan or others haven't got their act together by Spring or early summer of '17. I really feel the Chrysler will be introduced this winter, really have my doubts about the others :(

jjeff said:
I'd really prefer the eNV-200 or similar but will probably go with a Chrysler Pacifica PHEV if Nissan or others haven't got their act together by Spring or early summer of '17. I really feel the Chrysler will be introduced this winter, really have my doubts about the others :(
I wouldn't count on the e-NV200 being announced for the US auto market by/at this Paris Auto Show.

Was at an appreciation dinner for Leaf owners in the Bay Area on Friday and the Nissan rep who flew in from US HQ (in TN) basically gave indications to not expect such a van in the US, at least anytime in the near future. :(

cwerdna said:
jjeff said:
I wouldn't count on the e-NV200 being announced for the US auto market by/at this Paris Auto Show.

Was at an appreciation dinner for Leaf owners in the Bay Area on Friday and the Nissan rep who flew in from US HQ (in TN) basically gave indications to not expect such a van in the US, at least anytime in the near future. :(

What did they say to expect? :)

But also they had some trials in the US I thought for some utility companies with electric vans. I had also hoped more would have come from that by now.

BoulderLeaf said:
What did they say to expect? :)
I don't recall the exact answer, but someone did ask about Nissan's comment to EVs and how come there's only one vehicle here in the US and none in other classes like SUVs, vans, etc.

Basically, from what I recall, it sounded like the economics/business case (i.e. numbers they expected to sell) wasn't good enough to bring it to the US. And, I learned that Nissan as a company policy doesn't bid on Federal contracts either (e.g. an EV as a postal delivery vehicle, since someone brought that up). It had to do with it being pain in terms of costs and overhead to go thru the GSA.

Disappointing. How different can their business case be from selling the Leaf? Given American's uptake of minivans and crossovers, and with a 60 kWh pack, I'd think it would find a niche here.

Maybe Nissan is still recovering from the burns of the leased leafs value drop (due to market floods when terms end) as they took most of the hits though they are mostly self inflicted I suspect that Nissan is now less brave on the subject of numbers in the US market now?

They might even be waiting to see who, of the two most unpopular candidates for president, will get the votes come November.

DuncanCunningham said:
Maybe Nissan is still recovering from the burns of the leased leafs value drop (due to market floods when terms end) as they took most of the hits though they are mostly self inflicted I suspect that Nissan is now less brave on the subject of numbers in the US market now?

They might even be waiting to see who, of the two most unpopular candidates for president, will get the votes come November.
low resale price is at least partially caused by battery degradation stories - hope they learn from that and made next battery pack liquid cooled.

Story on a 200 mile Zoe. So, maybe a Leaf announcement coming soon?

Renault is reportedly about to unveil a new all-electric Zoe with ~200 miles of range - Electrek
https://apple.news/A5-YMATM5TzuTuXusnplVCA

DuncanCunningham said:
<snip> They might even be waiting to see who, of the two most unpopular candidates for president, will get the votes come November.
[OT] It does make me wonder what the outcome might be if we had a "None of the above" option on the ballot. Just think, if that got a majority or maybe just a plurality, all candidates on the ballot would be disqualified from further participation this election, and we'd have a do-over. We'd have to put up with this crap for even longer, but it just might be worth it this time.

DNAinaGoodWay said:

Renault is reportedly about to unveil a new all-electric Zoe with ~200 miles of range - Electrek
Interesting, though double the current battery makes it a 44kWh battery, and the numbers don't add up for a true 200mi car. A little odd to me that Nissan/Renault have a car so similar to the Leaf, basically competing with themselves. Should have just rebadged the Leaf for a Renault counterpart.

GRA said:
DuncanCunningham said:
<snip> They might even be waiting to see who, of the two most unpopular candidates for president, will get the votes come November.
[OT] It does make me wonder what the outcome might be if we had a "None of the above" option on the ballot. Just think, if that got a majority or maybe just a plurality, all candidates on the ballot would be disqualified from further participation this election, and we'd have a do-over. We'd have to put up with this crap for even longer, but it just might be worth it this time.

Well, there are 2 other legitimate candidates in Gary Johnson and Jill Stein. Not sure about Stein, but I know Johnson will be on the ballot in all 50 states, which I believe is a first for the Libertarian party. So while there is no "none of the above" you definitely have more than just two choices. I personally am voting Johnson.

GRA said:
DuncanCunningham said:

It would end up with the House of Representatives. Who knows? It could happen this year.

Firetruck41 said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

Interesting, though double the current battery makes it a 44kWh battery, and the numbers don't add up for a true 200mi car. A little odd to me that Nissan/Renault have a car so similar to the Leaf, basically competing with themselves. Should have just rebadged the Leaf for a Renault counterpart.

The French are very into buying "made in France".

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Disappointing. How different can their business case be from selling the Leaf? Given American's uptake of minivans and crossovers, and with a 60 kWh pack, I'd think it would find a niche here.
Minivans have been reported to be a declining market in the US for many years.

Examples:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/01/minivan-sales-half-last-decade-well/ - "Minivan sales in America fell 8 percent to only 513,000 units in 2015"
http://wardsauto.com/blog/withering-minivans-iconic-segment-continues-slide
http://fortune.com/2013/09/12/the-demise-of-the-minivan/

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/1998/12/18/bus_247727.shtml from 1998 says
Instead, minivan sales have remained remarkably steady at about 1.2 million annually during the last five years. Nearly 1 of every 12 vehicles sold during that period was a minivan. Most analysts expect sales to remain in the 1-million to 1.3 million range through 2002.
I griped about industry trends and the perception that minivans are somehow uncool vs. SUVs back in 2010 and 2007 at https://priuschat.com/threads/prius-minivan-coming-in-2011-with-lithium-ion-batteries.79208/#post-1106904 and https://priuschat.com/threads/why-bother.30896/page-2#post-407309.

If you watched the vehicles go in/out of the local supermarket near where I live in the daytime, you'd see an insane # of battering ram of death class (full-sized) SUVs going in/out almost always only carrying only the driver or possibly minimal cargo and passengers.

Although a post reports that minivan sales are going down, that is insignificant to the EV market. The EV market IS CRAZY for not pushing electric minivans.... The minivan is a NECESSITY to a young family, and the (mostly) women who drive the minivans to do errands and transport family members have several needs which "screams" for an EV minivan. 1) the minivan is a perfect platform to hide all of the drive batteries in the floor of a minivan. 2) Like the taxi companies which have bought EVs, Family minivans are used for short trips and moderate distances daily. Stop and go driving is perfect for an electric vehicle. Also, women drivers who stay home can be charging the vehicle during down time between trips. This makes the EV minivan fully charged 24 hours daily for use of a family. 3) Young families are on budgets, and need to have a always-reliable vehicle to use at all times. An EV minivan would require no maintenance or visits to the mechanic, and fuel costs would be much lower than gas, as a fixed budgetary cost...

The way I see it, EVs 1) have not been marketed because the car companies do not want to start a stampede of people crying for EVs, and suddenly lose the $$$ of selling gas-powered cars. 2) Car companies are really making the low volume of EVs to comply with federal regulations and get tax breaks only. They still see the gas-car as their bread and butter...

Back