A hide-a-key method

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell

As for many recent car models, the Leaf does not have a keypad to unlock the door if you accidentally lock yourself out. I know that it is supposed to be impossible to lock the fob in the car, but I don't want to be the first to accidentally discover a way. Or maybe some day I'll use the aluminum foil idea to purposely hide the fob in the car on some special occasion.

So I wanted to hide just the mechanical key somewhere on the outside of the car.

• A locksmith cut a duplicate mechanical key, using a conventional blank (no need for the H0564-1FA0B that fits in the fob).
  • As there's so little metal in any places I could find, and as the common magnetic hide-a-key cases have magnets that are too weak, I wanted a better method. So I bought two super-strong neodymium bar magnets, each 2" x ½", and wrapped them in tape in the hope they won't rust.
  • I put the spare key in a small plastic bag (so it wouldn't rust) and then put both the spare key and one magnet into a larger zip-lock bag.
  • I found that under the rear bumper there's an opening. You can reach your hand inside and put the rolled-up bag there, towards the back. Put the other magnet on the bottom of the bumper, opposite the magnet inside in the rolled-up bag.

DSCN0554,Hide-a-key.jpg

The magnet in the zip-lock bag is covered in white tape, the magnet going under the bumper is in clear tape.

DSCN0558,MagnetUnderBumper.jpg

Here's the magnet under the bumper, the rolled-up zip-lock bag is above it, inside the rear bumper, reached through the opening towards the front of the car.

Good idea. I always had a hide-a-key secreted away. Here's what I do: Coat a rag in WD-40, wrap the key in that, and then wrap it in duct tape.

Use a non-corrodable wire and attach the key somewhere up in a wheel well or other location.

Every two months, remind your spouse where it is, so you don't get the call "I've locked the keys in the car, but I can't find the hide-a-key."

Get some latex gloves and a spare key and a tube of black silicone squeeze some silicone into your gloved hand then add the key squeeze a big gob more of silicone and find a convenient spot under the car or bumper stick the whole gob where you can pry it loose with something if you need it. First time it rains it will turn grey and look like a glob of mud under the frame but the key will be bone dry and ready to use and anyone will never know it is there .

I just keep the spare flat key in my wallet which only leaves my pocket on those rare occasions when I actually purchase something or to let the moths out. I admit it that I am cheap but then maybe that is why I was able to pay cash for my Leaf. ;>

Why bother with the magnets? On a previous vehicle, I just used duct tape to tape a key to the inside of a bumper; I think that would work here, too.

I used to have a hide a key in older cars, but how do you lock keys in a leaf? my doors wont lock if i have a key inside and i never take the keys out of my pocket to use the car in the first place. Does the base model need this?

estomax said:
I used to have a hide a key in older cars, but how do you lock keys in a leaf? my doors wont lock if i have a key inside and i never take the keys out of my pocket to use the car in the first place. Does the base model need this?

I suppose this could be handy if you somehow lost your keys.

estomax said:

If the battery in the Key Fob gets low enough, or the Fob is placed inside a metal container, it is possible to lock it in the car.

If the 12V car battery is drained, the doors will not unlock and the key is required to open the doors.

I keep the Key Fob in my pocket all the time. When the battery inside the Fob got really low, I did have to pull it out to touch against the Start button to get the car to turn on, until I replaced the battery.

baustin said:
estomax said:

If the battery in the Key Fob gets low enough, or the Fob is placed inside a metal container, it is possible to lock it in the car.

If the 12V car battery is drained, the doors will not unlock and the key is required to open the doors.

I keep the Key Fob in my pocket all the time. When the battery inside the Fob got really low, I did have to pull it out to touch against the Start button to get the car to turn on, until I replaced the battery.

valid point, i suppose if that sequence of events aligns then you'd need it, or if indeed you lose the fob, then also. but the cars are getting smart enough to not let us do this! surprisingly my mom's rental 2017 ford fusion allowed her to lock the keys in twice in one week (the car locks itself in some wierd sequence of events/timers), where in her 2014 escape she never locked them in. so some car makers are still trying to get this right.

Back