The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^^ Thanks for confirming that the 8 year / 100,000 mile defects warranty continues on the new battery installed under the capacity warranty.

TimLee said:
ziltoid said:
... I live in Phoenix, AZ and bought this car used. It's a 2011 SL but it has a 12 month lemon law warranty that doesn't expire until Jan 2017 due to a manufacturer buyback, thus it is still under warranty. ...
So you are saying that the AZ lemon law extended all warranties on the manufacturer buy back vehicle 12 months including the capacity warranty?
What was the original in service date?

Not exactly, the lemon law warranty is the warranty provided by Nissan when reselling a car bought back due to a lemon law claim. That lemon law warranty is a 12 month warranty (from time of re-purchase) and it covers everything in the original warranty, including battery degradation.

ziltoid said:
Lurker here. I used this thread and the wiki to determine when I might lose my fourth bar and wanted to share my numbers.

I lost my fourth bar while charging over night, when I checked in the morning I had:
AHr = 41.05
SOH = 62%
Hx = 41.22%
34,476 miles
3 QCs
2725 L1/L2s
177 GIDs

I live in Phoenix, AZ and bought this car used. It's a 2011 SL but it has a 12 month lemon law warranty that doesn't expire until Jan 2017 due to a manufacturer buyback, thus it is still under warranty. I did have to call the Nissan Leaf 800 number and sort out the warranty information with them (inititally they claimed it wasn't covered, but after looking in to it for a few days they realized it was). Hope this information helps!

Also of note: the dealership told me my battery would take 4-6 weeks to ship (as I've read on this forum), but it came in 4 days. Might have had something to do with the fact that I had to go through Nissan directly since the dealership didn't know how to handle the lemon law warranty.

Hello. Another lurker. I'm an original owner of a 2012 Leaf. Just lost 4th bar in June at 43000 miles. Took it to dealer in Las Vegas and they ordered battery and said it would take 2 months. Called in August and they said it would take another 2 months. Is that typical? Did I need to call someone to speed up the process? What is the experience of the membership of wait times to change out a battery under warranty. Thanks.

Gleebob - "Hello. Another lurker. I'm an original owner of a 2012 Leaf. Just lost 4th bar in June at 43000 miles. Took it to dealer in Las Vegas and they ordered battery and said it would take 2 months. Called in August and they said it would take another 2 months. Is that typical? Did I need to call someone to speed up the process? What is the experience of the membership of wait times to change out a battery under warranty. Thanks."

Contact Nissan Customer Support (1-877-NO-GAS-EV) or 1-877-664-2738. Explain your current situation. See what they say, if they can contact the dealer and find out what is going on. See if Customer Support can confirm the expected time it will take to get the battery replacement is really two more months. Ask if they can recommend another dealer that can do a better job, then switch if appropriate.

It took one month for mine back in March/April, but timeline could have changed.

Good Luck

Just heard this week that I will get a replacement battery - in 12 to 14 weeks. It took over a week to confirm the "8 bar replacement". The dealer sent me the battery "data" that was used for the confirmation. It was nothing more than the "5 star" rating sheet that showed the GOM with 8 bars and all the ratings - which were all 5 stars. This works well for me as I'd like for the weather to cool down before the install.

Thank you ikkms2. I called Nissan customer support just a little bit ago. They answered right away and knew who I was by my phone number. I explained the situation and they were able to see that I had a warranty case open and my battery was on order. The battery should arrive early October. The weird thing was that they showed the dealership ordered the battery on August 19 which is almost two months after I had brought the car in for service. I had brought the car in on June 21, 2016. The rep said typically, it's about 6 to 8 weeks to replace a battery.

It's a bit irritating that they waited so long to order the battery. But I am very glad that it's on it's way. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Gleebob said:
Hello. Another lurker. I'm an original owner of a 2012 Leaf. Just lost 4th bar in June at 43000 miles. Took it to dealer in Las Vegas and they ordered battery and said it would take 2 months. Called in August and they said it would take another 2 months. Is that typical? Did I need to call someone to speed up the process? What is the experience of the membership of wait times to change out a battery under warranty. Thanks.
Gleebob, Which dealer are you using??

I'm using United Nissan on east Sahara in Las Vegas. I haven't called them to complain. I'm just glad the battery is on the way. And I love the car which still drives like new even with a depleted battery.

Gleebob said:
Thank you ikkms2. I called Nissan customer support just a little bit ago. They answered right away and knew who I was by my phone number. I explained the situation and they were able to see that I had a warranty case open and my battery was on order. The battery should arrive early October. The weird thing was that they showed the dealership ordered the battery on August 19 which is almost two months after I had brought the car in for service. I had brought the car in on June 21, 2016. The rep said typically, it's about 6 to 8 weeks to replace a battery.

It's a bit irritating that they waited so long to order the battery. But I am very glad that it's on it's way. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
So the rats forgot to order it the first time, and when you called to check (Hey Bob! Did you order that LEAF battery? Shoot Jim, I thought you ordered it! Mr. Gleebob, it looks like the factory is taking longer than we thought...) they ordered it THEN without telling you that they had made a mistake. What slimeballs.

Hey all, I've got my brand spanking new replacement battery installed now and I'm wondering what other's have experienced in terms of new battery performance.

At full charge I'm hitting 274 GIDs (97.5%) and 91.2% SOC. Why is the SOC lower than the GIDs? Does that make sense?

Also, does it take a few weeks to break in? I'm using the standard L1 charger if that makes a difference.

TimLee said:
Leaftogo1 said:
Drop of My Leaf off this morning at Giwentt Nissan, got free loaner car, ETA new battery to dealership two days. Should have car back by Friday. 2015 is the Lizard battery to be installed. Get new 5yr 60k mile 4 bar loss warranty restart. Uh, Awesome,,,
I don't think your dealer knows what they are talking about.
A few people hit the production cycle for 2011/2012 batteries real lucky and got it in two to three weeks.
Most were four to six weeks.
Be an absolute miracle if the dealer gets it in two days.

I'm in the club!!! :D Well, at least the scheduled to be replaced under warranty club. It had lost 7 capacity bars (5 remaining) at 59980, so there wasn't much of a question there.

The dealer where I took it too, Hill Nissan in Winter Haven, just scheduled me for Thursday 9/29, after having confirmed the warranty was met on 9/16. They said the battery came in on 9/22, and at least in some of Nissan's major parts hubs, of which Orlando is one, they have a stockpile of batteries now and replacement is within just a few days.

I would have been OK waiting for the 6 to 8 weeks, since by then in Florida the daytime highs might be under 90.

davewill said:
Gleebob said:

So the rats forgot to order it the first time, and when you called to check (Hey Bob! Did you order that LEAF battery? Shoot Jim, I thought you ordered it! Mr. Gleebob, it looks like the factory is taking longer than we thought...) they ordered it THEN without telling you that they had made a mistake. What slimeballs.

The dealership definitely did not distinguish themselves in this case. But on the bright side, I won't have to submit the new battery to a Las Vegas summer. This Leaf is the best car I've ever been satisfied with and I plan to keep it as long as possible.

ziltoid said:
At full charge I'm hitting 274 GIDs (97.5%) and 91.2% SOC. Why is the SOC lower than the GIDs? Does that make sense?

Also, does it take a few weeks to break in? I'm using the standard L1 charger if that makes a difference.
My experience is similar.
Been installed seven weeks.
Not too many miles yet.
The mV cell pair differential is still high around 26.
It is doing a lot of balancing but slow to get well balanced.

You have to remember SOC is theoretical.
While % GIDS is more % of what Nissan allows.

So on new pack SOC is lower than %GIDS when fully charged.

Using L1 should be better on balancing.
I've been L2 and three or four DCQC.
Hated to see those >100F temps on new pack.

We finally lost our bar two months out of warranty. Opened an appeal with corporate, and no dice, they offered us friends and family pricing on a new vehicle within 30 days. What a crock!!

Here are the numbers when it finally went:
Ahr 42.87, SOH 65, Hx 44.21, V 392.26, SOC 94.9, Mileage 52325, 14 QC, 3214 L1&2 charges.

Lost the 4th bar at 56,196 miles and ~58 months on our 2012 Leaf SL (delivered in 12/2011). Dealer did a battery check (all 5 stars) and Nissan approved a new battery. The following was the information given to me by Nissan EV Customer Service today: The batteries are built on order, and may take up to 12 weeks to build. This is a new 24 kWh battery, corresponding to what is placed in the 2016 Nissan Leaf S-model (not the 30 kWh battery used in 2016 SV / SL).

Marktm said:
Just heard this week that I will get a replacement battery - in 12 to 14 weeks. It took over a week to confirm the "8 bar replacement". The dealer sent me the battery "data" that was used for the confirmation. It was nothing more than the "5 star" rating sheet that showed the GOM with 8 bars and all the ratings - which were all 5 stars. This works well for me as I'd like for the weather to cool down before the install.

Purchased the LELink OBDII dongle and LeafSpy Pro. All hooked up and worked immediately - no issues whatsoever!

Attachments

• IMG_4612.PNG
    IMG_4612.PNG
    129.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4610.PNG
    IMG_4610.PNG
    98.3 KB · Views: 143
solartim said:
We finally lost our bar two months out of warranty. Opened an appeal with corporate, and no dice, they offered us friends and family pricing on a new vehicle within 30 days. What a crock!!
Hey, that's more than they offered me!

drees said:
solartim said:
Hey, that's more than they offered me!

Hi Drees,
How many months did you miss out? What did Nissan offer you?

Hi Solartim,
What is this "friends and family" pricing on a new vehicle within 30 days? Did Nissan also offered you a trade-in value with that pricing?

So, we've lost the 4th bar on our Silver Leaf yesterday. I have a question surrounding the battery degradation situation, and our 2 Leafs which were purchased at the same time, brand new. We think our Blue Leaf will likely experience the same degradation and will surely lose the 4th bar in a week or so. Both cars were driven/charged differently, but parked in the same household; and yet, the battery lost the 4th bar as the same time....

What are our chances if we took Nissan to BBB and argued that in the use case where we're a two Leaf household, and wanted to prove a point that the battery was inferior to begin with 5 years ago, and their product marketing was misleading customers?

Would like to see anyone's opinion/views on this for a 2 Leaf household, with different driving patterns/charging patterns and yet, we arrived at the same 4th bar loss around the same time. (Note: Haven't lost the 4th bar on our 2nd Leaf yet, but real soon)

See battery data on 2 Leafs:
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12789&start=790#p472355

Back