The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeattleBlueLeaf, yes, same VIN

Dave, yes there are mileage options for the Leaf. I know of the 12k and 15k and I'm pretty sure there are others.

Thanks WWBD! Congrats to you too! :D

Timaz - That is exactly what we were thinking when we decided to proceed with the lease

evnow - That lease sticky was VERY helpful :)

I stopped by Boomer's and charged up a little on his L2 EVSE. I think he'll have pics soon

Okay, check out my blog for pictures of Omkar's visit with his great looking red LEAF, charging at L2 with my AV EVSE and some TED charging data.

I again have to emphasize that I don't want to steal Omkar's thunder. He is a very gracious guy and he seems to be happy to let someone else help him keep up with all of the questions.

I have a video of Omkar's LEAF in motion with VSP sounds, but my blog site is rejecting the video with a server error. So check back on the blog page later this evening. I may be able to get it uploaded by the end of this evening.

http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com/

I love TED. I installed mine (the 5000) the middle of 2009 and it is a fun and useful tool.

Boomer23 said:
Okay, check out my blog for pictures of Omkar's visit with his great looking red LEAF, charging at L2 with my AV EVSE and some TED charging data.

Boomer: The 3.8kW "discrepancy":

2.1kWh over 37 minutes is actually 3.4kW. The 3.8kW shown by TED may be a) a temporary peak; b) affected by PowerFactor ?

Still interesting to know ... thanks for that info. :)

mogur said:
I love TED. I installed mine (the 5000) the middle of 2009 and it is a fun and useful tool.

Boomer23 said:

I installed mine in my new power panel a few weeks ago. It took a short while to get it optimized for my situation, but it's working fine now. As you'll see on the blog post, we were able to stand in the garage and monitor the EVSE power usage via wi-fi on my iPod using the free TED-O-Meter app available from the Apple Store.

LEAFer said:
Boomer: The 3.8kW "discrepancy":

2.1kWh over 37 minutes is actually 3.4kW. The 3.8kW shown by TED may be a) a temporary peak; b) affected by PowerFactor ?

Still interesting to know ... thanks for that info. :)

No, not a peak. The TED data show a constant usage of about 3.7 kW during the charging event. Regarding the Power Factor, I'm a complete novice there. Can you explain?

Boomer23 said:
Regarding the Power Factor, I'm a complete novice there. Can you explain?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

But I have no way of estimating what the difference in real versus apparent power might be for an AV EVSE.

OTOH ... running the numbers again: Depending on the accuracy of the timing and the TED, a single minute with some round-off, plus some small losses over the cable/power-path could easily explain the 3.7/3.3 difference (your blog said 3.8).

As we gather more charging data with the LEAF ... we will learn what the "real" wall-to-wheels energy usage is. 3.8 versus 3.3 is a potentially significant increase when taken over many miles of charging.

Great job, Boomer! I think you did a fine job of documenting Omkar's first charge. You aren't stealing his thunder; you're helping him share his first few minutes of ownership. We need every tidbit we can get to keep us going until we get our own LEAFs!

The owner's manual says that the charger can draw 18 Amps at 240 Volts, which works out to 4.3 kW; significantly more than the 3.3 kW we've been reading about online. Your 8 gauge wiring isn't to blame. #8 is good for 40 Amps, and Omkar's car was pulling about 16. I can see a TED in my future...

-Karl

LEAFer said:
OTOH ... running the numbers again: Depending on the accuracy of the timing and the TED, a single minute with some round-off, plus some small losses over the cable/power-path could easily explain the 3.7/3.3 difference (your blog said 3.8).
0.4kw i.e. 11% in cable losses look unlikely.

omkar said:
I ordered on 8/31. On 11/22, I received an email saying my vehicle is scheduled to arrive at my deal in January (is that what you meant by scheduled message)? My dashboard has been all over the place and now it says the week of Jan 5.

I ordered an SL with only the Quick Charge option - MSRP $35240. But, the car I got also had the Floor Mats added so the MSRP was $35410. I got it for $1k under MSRP: $34,410.

The interest rate was 4.9% (Money factor of ~.00204)

They first quoted me with a 12K/year lease and then I asked for the 15K/year. I think it ended up being an extra $10/month.
The paper I got from Greg of Rairdon had from Nissan corp only a 15,000 miles to help sell the LEAF lease it said. It also had a signature One rate of money factor of .0019 not sure how that adds up.

LEAFer said:
Boomer23 said:
Regarding the Power Factor, I'm a complete novice there. Can you explain?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

But I have no way of estimating what the difference in real versus apparent power might be for an AV EVSE.

As we gather more charging data with the LEAF ... we will learn what the "real" wall-to-wheels energy usage is. 3.8 versus 3.3 is a potentially significant increase when taken over many miles of charging.
When I got my solar installed my PV company install for free an Power factor corrector. Here is what it does from wiki.

An automatic power factor correction unit is used to improve power factor. A power factor correction unit usually consists of a number of capacitors that are switched by means of contactors. These contactors are controlled by a regulator that measures power factor in an electrical network. To be able to measure power factor, the regulator uses a current transformer to measure the current in one phase.
Depending on the load and power factor of the network, the power factor controller will switch the necessary blocks of capacitors in steps to make sure the power factor stays above a selected value (usually demanded by the energy supplier), say 0.9.

What do you attribute the difference in the posted $379 lease rate and your $409.61 payment? Is that solely your increase from 12k annual miles to 15k? You state you got $1k off MSRP, if the $379 is based on MSRP, shouldn't yours be less than that + only the miles premium Did you have a lot of accessories or did the dealer hit you with extra fees? Did they subtract your $99 reservation fee?

I understand that taxes is what brought it from $409 to $445, but I am just trying to follow what got you to $409.

Thanks.

evnow said:
LEAFer said:

I took a closer look at the TED data. The timing looks like 34 minutes and the constant load was 3.74 kW during charging. That equals 2.12 kWh of usage, which the agrees with the TED total. I've corrected the numbers on the blog.

Boomer23 said:

I again have to emphasize that I don't want to steal Omkar's thunder. He is a very gracious guy and he seems to be happy to let someone else help him keep up with all of the questions.

I have a video of Omkar's LEAF in motion with VSP sounds, but my blog site is rejecting the video with a server error. So check back on the blog page later this evening. I may be able to get it uploaded by the end of this evening.

http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com/

Videos with VSP sounds have been added now.

Boomer23 said:
evnow said:
LEAFer said:

I took a closer look at the TED data. The timing looks like 34 minutes and the constant load was 3.74 kW during charging. That equals 2.12 kWh of usage, which the agrees with the TED total. I've corrected the numbers on the blog.

Though likely a different situation since you are measuring in kW, I know with my Vectrix that it charges at a fixed wattage which results in the amperage varying based upon the voltage of the connected system (the speedometer becomes an ammeter during charging). As to why the TED is showing 3.74 instead of 3.3kW, perhaps this is due to some allowable variance in the charging system (+/- 10%) and/or perhaps it is a fixed amperage charger allowing the kW to flux up or down based upon the connected system voltage.

I suppose time and a plethora of more charging records will tell..

Thanks Boomer.

Out here in Tier two, we haven't seen, nevertheless heard, a LEAF.

Except for the back-up beep, sounds just like the Tesla I have seen/heard,
up close... but maybe without some of the Zoom-Zoom. ;)

For the record, is the back-up beep inside the car, like the Prius, or outside?

Back