Is NMAC still doing lease extensions?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmikol

Anybody know if NMAC is still offering lease extensions?

I have a '13 SV that's coming up to the end of a 36 mo. lease at the end of the year. With no word on Leaf 2.0, Model 3 still at least a year beyond the end of my lease, and Bolt just barely being into volume production by then (and who knows how widely it will be distributed, initially), it doesn't seem like a good time to try and get anything new right now. I initially did 36 mo. because I thought I would have more options by the time the lease was up compared to 24 mo.

I suppose I could buy the lease out, but the offer I got from NMAC was only for $3000 off, and that doesn't seem worth it, either. So I'm left with just extending the lease, unless someone else out there has a better idea...

One problem w/extending beyond 36 months is that your basic warranty is gone by then. And, you might need new tires again...

You could buy a used Leaf for cheap, instead of extending. That's what I did when my 2 year lease ran out near end of July 2015.

Last I knew, NMAC was now extending all leases (on request) up to 4 years from in service date. If you have a high payment, Cwerdna's idea might be a good one, especially for a used Leaf with a warranty. If you have a low payment, I suggest you extend the lease and, if you want, get a one year warranty extension from...arrgh, I can't remember the name, but it's a Nissan dealership in CA that offers good prices on warranties. It's in the End of Lease Options topic.

I opted for zero down, so my payments aren't super-low, but they're reasonable. ($278/mo.)

I shouldn't need new tires (again)...I put new ones on at the beginning(-ish) of this year. At the time, planned on keeping the Leaf long-term. Am now re-considering that decision, in favor of something with a bit more range.

Thanks for the reminder about warranty (and the tip about the extended...)

If NMAC ups the offer for buyout to something like $5k or higher, I might reconsider...I think it might have been @DaveInOlyWa mentioned something about an $8k offer (can't find the post now...)

As of today, September 14, Nissan would NOT extend the 2013 S Model I have. The only option is to purchase the car with $4500 incentive. So I will return the car at the end of this month. YMMV.

I just got a call from NMAC about end-of-lease stuff. Current offer on my '13 SV / 36 month lease is $4500 off, thru 10/3. No telling what it might be after then. But if the rumors about the Paris auto show prove true, I'm hoping it may push that discount up.

$4500 doesn't seem worth it to me. There are used '13 SV's in my area selling for sub-10K (with QC), so NMAC is going to have to do better than that (more like $6k) if they don't want the car back in a few months.

Guy also said that there was no lease extension program available (at this moment). That could always change come 10/3 as well.

Guy also said that there was no lease extension program available (at this moment). That could always change come 10/3 as well.

NMAC pulls this Crap all the time, saying "no extensions!" one month, then offering them again the next. I almost bought a 2015 SV last December because I was told that, but I'm now on my fourth year of a two year lease, because luckily the 2015 turned out to have lot damage.

Yeah...I'm going to be keeping a close eye on on this, and will definitely check back in after 10/3 to see what new offers NMAC has.

My lease ends at the end of the year, and I'd really like to extend for a while to see how Bolt initial production and deliveries go, any possible Leaf 2.0 announcements, and more details on the Model 3.

Feeling a little hamstrung by the range of the '13, and the '16 doesn't offer enough extra to make a difference...

I'm seriously considering leasing or buying a loaded 2016 SV if the price is right and they can find the color(s) I want. I want more range, but 100 miles is all I really *need* and if I get one for $200 a month it's covered under my household's budget - no out of pocket for me.

We are down to 2 months remaining on 36-month lease of 2013 S. So watching this thread with interest...

This morning (10/4/2016) Spoke to NMAC (by online chat) and then to a "Leaf expert" at 1800 854-3310 phone number I was given by NMAC. At this number I was told that the lease residual buydown is cancelled - or maybe set to zero for the time being. Our car had been eligible for $4,500 buydown, but that ended as of yesterday.

Asked about a lease extension - and they were able to immediately send me (via email) a one page authorization to sign and mail back for a three month extension on same terms as original. Told we may be able to request an additional three month extension later. Apparently the 12-month extension program also cancelled - at least for now.

The person I spoke to said that because of the cancellation of the residual buydowns that individual dealers may now be authorized to negotiate end of lease terms??? No idea if this is correct, and in my experience with sales staff at dealers they are often the last to know... But, if anyone finds out about this - and can recommend a dealer to get a good deal on buyout of their lease, please share!

Seems ridiculous that NMAC isn't offering lease buydowns anymore. They're going to have a tough time convincing anyone to buy out their lease. Looks like me, @asteele, and @houseinthewoods are all in the same boat.

I got a good deal on my '13SV 36-month lease. But residual is still ~$15k, and used '13s in this area run right around $10k. Definitely won't buy it out at that price once mine's up at the end of the year.

Good to hear that they're at least offering lease extensions, again. Need to do something to bridge until wider availability of the Bolt, since it certainly seems like Nissan isn't going to have anything to offer. The one important lesson I've learned from my 3 years of leaf ownership is that I need a car with ~140 miles EPA range to make it more universally useful. A 36-40 kWh Leaf would probably work well. Why? Mostly because I hate the hassle of having to charge en-route, and the farther-afield places I'm going don't offer any charging opportunities @ the destination.

I'm discounting the other possibility, which is that Nissan has big plans, but chose to not announce them @ Paris. But this would require some iron-clad information security procedures...otherwise I'd have to imagine that something would have leaked out. Wild speculation: Could they be planning to announce a serious Bolt competitor for immediate availability @ Detroit? How do you start assembling new packs/new cars without that info getting out?

More likely they are going to keep offering the 30kwh Leaf until Spring, then a 40kwh until Leaf 2. I'm hoping it's more like Jan 1, but not counting on it. My last lease extension is up 6/2017.

Yeah my lease on my second leaf is up on 11/14/16. I was not offered any incentives, buyouts, etc, just incentives on a new Leaf, which honestly given it is really just the same car, I think means I am going to break from Nissan as my next step unfortunately. I think they did a great job with the changes between the 2011 and 2013 models and then it just feels likey fizzled. Not many great options available for those of us with leases ending between now and mid-2017.

Is a shame- I think they unfortunately really missed a great opportunity to just dominate the market. The Infiniti available today would have easily slotted in between the leaf and Tesla and would have captured a lot of those i3 sales that seem to be picking up steam. The bolt? Eh if you like that I guess, So very much missed their chance to capture and dominate the electric market like Prius did for a decade or more on hybrids.

The Mercedes is ho hum. The BMW is expensive and the styling just screams weird. Nissan you owned the market! Why leave us hanging?!

Even just improving the 2016 Leaf could have been taken much further, cheaply. Adding a variable charge limit, fixing the dim high beams, fixing the wheel heater thermostat, and changing the plastic rear strut tower covers to allow more cargo width would have helped sales to previous Leaf drivers. As it is we look at the car and think: "More range, but I can't set it to 80% anymore, and the headlights still suck. Damn."

I am just so sad. I had one of the first 20 in the US. Six years in a Leaf and really I do so appreciate what it took to get to this point. And absolutely agree with you- very minor changes and I would have been right back into the car again. For me, it is hard to see all of the innovation happening at other companies and we got nothing. I mean very simple styling changes even would have opened the door to staying. How about giving me an option for real sustainable wood instead of plastic detailing inside, or other sustainable materials in the car? Even some minor styling changes. I just can't bring myself to buy the nearly identical look for another 3 years. Ugh the horrible headlights staring at me for more years. At the same available driving distance. Something...anything...to engage me in the vehicle and I would never leave. But drove a 4 year old model S today and for not much more it is really a tremendous upgrade.

Have to say the look and feel of the concept car from the Japanese site and I definitely would have been hugely sucked in even for significantly more money.

It is really the combination that causes me to leave- no communication of future, no break on the end of lease, no change in the existing car, and no accommodation for a bridge to the next model, honestly I might even have stayed if they would have honored the deal to buy the car for its current market value of $9500. Oh well. Very sad.

Speaking of headlights: they really, really, should have improved the high beams! I don't hate the look of the lights, although others do, but those dim high beams are borderline criminal. I'll edit my post.

gmikol said:
Seems ridiculous that NMAC isn't offering lease buydowns anymore. They're going to have a tough time convincing anyone to buy out their lease. Looks like me, @asteele, and @houseinthewoods are all in the same boat.
Me too. My lease ends in 7 months and my residual is far more than used would cost.

There has been talk (and only that, AFAIK) of negotiating with your local dealer for them to buy your car at auction and then resell it to you as CPO. maybe now they could buy it directly from NMAC.

Back