How long 'til 4th bar drops?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tungsten said:
@newmanji

Congratulations!! I am still waiting on my new battery to be delivered to Oahu. The dealership told me it could take 2 months, which seems to be a longer estimate than most people receive. It's only been 17 days, so I have a ways to go. If you're on the mainland, it seems like many people have gotten their batteries in a week or two.

North Carolina here, and not far from Tennessee. I was quoted 6-8 weeks for the dealer to be given the battery. I had my car in and an order placed about 3 weeks ago now.

Hello, I bought a used 2012 Leaf SL that now has 27,978 miles on it and 10 bars. I am using Leafspy lite upgrading to Pro. How can I tell/decipher the numbers to predict when it will drop bars 9 and 8 before the end of 2017 and 60k miles so I can get the new battery under warranty?

Thanks!

futureleaf said:
Hello, I bought a used 2012 Leaf SL that now has 27,978 miles on it and 10 bars. I am using Leafspy lite upgrading to Pro. How can I tell/decipher the numbers to predict when it will drop bars 9 and 8 before the end of 2017 and 60k miles so I can get the new battery under warranty?

Thanks!

On Average, this is what I am seeing
42.5Ahr or Lower
65% SoH or Lower
45% Hx or Lower.

Speed of decay is also hugely important on your climate. Please add your location to your profile.

If you are at 10 bars now, your biggest factor in getting a free pack replacement would be to drive the car hard and Level 3 quick charge it as much as possible. You have plenty of miles left, but time is now your factor. Summertime is when the biggest drops happen due to the heat. In the winter, the battery loses almost no capacity at all.

Your best bet is reporting back what you see, and that will give us an idea of what you should expect.

^^^^^ Good info.

But my SOH was lower, more 63% to 64%.
Hx never got that low.

Keep in mind, capacity loss is easy in summer.
But in winter, the key is a hot garage.
The LEAF can keep the garage pretty hot. Does take attention to detail.

newmanji said:
:D :D :D :D :D A very exciting day for me. My 4th bar just dropped today on my 2012 Leaf. Yaaaaaah. 43,038 miles, 57 months, aHr = 42.36, SOH = 64%, 391.10V, Hx = 57.89%, 3335 L1/L2s. Will make an appt. next week for my new batteries. :D :D :D :D :D

Update: Took a few days at the Nissan Dealer. Seems they have to overcharge the battery, run some diagnostics, almost fully discharge the battery, then run some diagnostics again. The result was great. A brand new set of batteries will be here in 6 weeks. I will officially be the first battery replacement at my local Nissan dealer.

BradFoxUS said:
futureleaf said:

Thanks!

On Average, this is what I am seeing
42.5Ahr or Lower
65% SoH or Lower
45% Hx or Lower.

Speed of decay is also hugely important on your climate. Please add your location to your profile.

If you are at 10 bars now, your biggest factor in getting a free pack replacement would be to drive the car hard and Level 3 quick charge it as much as possible. You have plenty of miles left, but time is now your factor. Summertime is when the biggest drops happen due to the heat. In the winter, the battery loses almost no capacity at all.

Your best bet is reporting back what you see, and that will give us an idea of what you should expect.

Thanks for your response. I plan on driving my Leaf 20k+ miles between now and the end of 2016. In its current state, the battery will only give me at most 60 miles IF I stay off the freeway. With freeway driving, 45 miles tops. SO, I have almost 15 months AND 38,000 miles to get down to bar #8. I just signed up for the evgo Freedom plan so I will be doing a lot of level 3 charging.

Leaf Spy shows the following:

1) ahr = 50.46
2) SOH = 76%
3) Hx = 57.77

I would attach a screenshot of Leafspy but I haven't figured out how to do that yet! :(

@futureleaf

Do you know the in-service date of your leaf? That's when the 60 month warranty began, so if it was before the end of 2012, you could have less than 15 months to hit your target.

For example, if your in-service date was January 15, 2012, then you'd only have until January 15, 2017 to get to 8 bars.

You can get the in-service date from your Nissan dealer, or pull a car fax report.

Maybe you already knew all this, but just want to make sure you don't think the warranty automatically goes to Dec 31 of the fifth year of manufacture.

Good luck!

tungsten said:
@futureleaf

Do you know the in-service date of your leaf? That's when the 60 month warranty began, so if it was before the end of 2012, you could have less than 15 months to hit your target.

For example, if your in-service date was January 15, 2012, then you'd only have until January 15, 2017 to get to 8 bars.

You can get the in-service date from your Nissan dealer, or pull a car fax report.

Maybe you already knew all this, but just want to make sure you don't think the warranty automatically goes to Dec 31 of the fifth year of manufacture.

Good luck!

Hi Tungsten,

Thank you for your advice. I do not know the original in-service date but I'll find out. I did get a car fax report so I'll start there and progress to the dealer. I might have to go live in Phoenix for the rest of 2016! hahaha

newmanji said:
Update: Took a few days at the Nissan Dealer. Seems they have to overcharge the battery, run some diagnostics, almost fully discharge the battery, then run some diagnostics again. ...
Not sure why some dealers are doing that but most are doing MUCH less.

The only loaner I needed was one night as they were doing the programming the next morning.

Had I got to the dealer at 7 AM unlikely I would have needed loaner at all.

Lost CB4 in late July at around 38000. Just picked up my car from local Nissan in Atlanta with the new replacement battery. :) :) :) :) It certainly great to see all 12 bars and miles in the 90's.

Leafer2012 said:
Lost CB4 in late July at around 38000. Just picked up my car from local Nissan in Atlanta with the new replacement battery. :) :) :) :) It certainly great to see all 12 bars and miles in the 90's.
Awesome, and congratulations!

I'm hoping that my dealing with the only Leaf certified dealer in my area provides me with a good experience when mine drops its 4th bar. Mine is on its way on losing its 3rd, with 24,000 miles and 73.5% SOH, and I plan on putting 15,000 miles on this car a year, so I should see my 3rd bar drop before the end of this year and the 4th likely some time this upcoming summer. That should net me another 4 years of use of the Leaf before I buy a used Model 3.

I have attached the before and after readings from my Leaf Spy. By the way, it seems kike the warranty is based on delivery date and not mfg date, at least in my case. I bought my 2012 used in May 2016.

Good luck with your plan. I'll definitely will consider a used Model 3 as well. Great idea.

Attachments

• IMG_2919.PNG
    IMG_2919.PNG
    203.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3663.PNG
    IMG_3663.PNG
    200.6 KB · Views: 123
Is there a reason why the VIN changed between the 2 photos?

Leafer2012 said:
I have attached the before and after readings from my Leaf Spy. By the way, it seems kike the warranty is based on delivery date and not mfg date, at least in my case. I bought my 2012 used in May 2016.

Good luck with your plan. I'll definitely will consider a used Model 3 as well. Great idea.

I have absolutely no idea. I went back and looked at all the pix I have taken as the battery was degrading and the 4COC was always the registered as the VIN. Now the correct VIN is showing. Go fogure.

Got my new battery installed today. Took about 6 hours. I probably should've let them charge it on L2 overnight, but wasn't convenient, so we picked it up with 30 miles on the GOM, and had about 7 miles left when we got home. On the trickle charger, it estimated 23 hours to full charge! Not used to seeing that. Used to be able to charge to 100% in about 8-9 hours! AHr is showing 62.10. Have to look back to see what most people get with a fresh pack. Anyway, pretty happy with the return on investment in this used leaf! Can't wait to see the GOM when it's fully charged :D

Good luck to everyone still waiting on that 4th bar to drop!

So fully charged, the GOM shows 91 miles and LeafSpy reports 64.379 AHr and 292 gids. Went up to 100 miles after a long downhill stretch. But SOH still reads 65%, which is unchanged from my old battery. Hx has fluctuated from 99.86 to 100.07.

Is this normal for my SOH to not change? And to not see an AHr closer to 66?

This morning, when I started up leafspy with a full charge, almost all of the battery cells were red, too. Why so much shunting? They turned blue by the end of the drive, but not sure what this means. I sure hope I didn't get a reconditioned battery or a defective one that is going to degrade faster than normal.

Anyone else have a similar experience with a replacement pack??

Here's a screenshot:

pnnQIY4Cp

Just wondering why my LEAF's 10th bar still has not dropped yet. Here are the stats:

2013 S
mfg: 02/2013
12th bar loss: 8/6/2105 31476 mi. 53.94 Ahr 82% SOH
11th bar loss: 5/28/2016 43332 mi. 49.19 Ahr 75% SOH

recent readings:
10/15/2016 48075 mi. 45.75 Ahr 69% SOH
10/22/2016 48307 mi. 45.35 Ahr 69% SOH
11/5/2016 48527 mi. 45.67 Ahr 69% SOH
11/12/2016 48814 mi. 44.96 Ahr 68% SOH

Planning ahead, is there a good chance for the 9th bar to drop before March 2018?
I know I should start managing my miles carefully. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Hello folks,

Amazing thread on dropping that 4th bar, it is fantastic!

Been shopping around for a used leaf and lo and behold I've come across a dealer selling a used one with 9 bars.

Main starts are AHR: 45.05 / SOH 68%

Appears to have been driven in the high deserts of SoCal.

With 16 months remaining on the warranty and based on information contained on this thread do you all think this a pretty good candidate to drop the last bar and quality for a new batt?

Thanks!

Back