The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mxp said:
Hi Solartim,
What is this "friends and family" pricing on a new vehicle within 30 days? Did Nissan also offered you a trade-in value with that pricing?
I had not thought to ask about the trade in value. I don't think it would be much of a discount, and i'm not all that enthusiastic about nissan at the moment. I'm hoping that a third party battery refurb is available before the range gets so low my wife can't get to work ( 12 mile total round trip ). I used it for errands this morning and returned after 33 miles with 8 left on the GOM, last 2 red bars. My wife drove it another office once and the cost to charge was more than gas, so the rest of the week she took our prius.

Hello everyone, this is a follow up to my previous post.
My battery has been replaced and this is my final report. Called the dealership after almost four months of waiting. They told me that sorry, but we never ordered your battery and you need to bring in the car again to initiate the whole process again which was infuriating!

So I called Nissan customer service and they said that my battery was indeed on order and just about to arrive at the dealership. So they put me on hold and called the dealership directly. Five minutes later, the customer service rep, comes back and says, literally, that the guy I was talking to doesn't know what they are talking about and that my battery has been delivered and that the service manager is about to call me to arrange an appointment to change out the battery. The service manager calls me a bit later and I drop off the car that night which was last Monday. I get the car back on Wednesday with the new battery installed. It pays to keep in touch with Nissan customer service.

Car feels like it can drive forever compared to the old battery.

Nissan Leaf original owner in Las Vegas. Lost fourth bar at 43000. Sorry, but I don't have any of those gadgets that measure everything.

5/2013 leaf with new battery: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18269&start=130#p473995. My replacement battery is 29580-3NF2A. LeafSpy reports 292 GID. AHr=64.38, SOH=100%, Hx=102.67% (34,000 mi).

Stanton said:
gbshaun said:
So my new battery (Feb 2016) seems to be doing remarkably well.

Here are screenshots from February (new) and June, 4 months on.
No drop from 66.14AHr in 4 months and 3400 miles.
Really?

Seems as though 66.14 AHr is the magic number for all of the new battery packs...until some of that "excess capacity" (wink-wink) is burned off. I finally fell below 66 AHr last week when it started to get hot here...about 6 months after I got my new pack. My guess is you'll see it drop within the next month or so given that summer is in full swing.

New battery at 66.14 AH on Nov. 3rd. Dropped to 65.65 on Nov 17th. SOH still at 100%. Seems to be doing lots of balancing lately. All level II charging at home. Weather has been quite mild - mid 80's.

Got my new battery. Charged to 100%. GOM says 86 miles. Not complain. Just happy to get 40 more miles on a charge. Now I can charge to 80% instead of 100% every night. Typical daily commute is 16 miles.
Got home and figured, no need charge because GOM said 74 miles.
Did my daily commute, and GOM showed 58 miles. So I plugged in. Next morning pressed my start button and BAM! MY GOM, said 106 miles at 80% charge. Umm. What would it read at 100%? Not going to charge tonight. Let's see how far this puppy runs.

Trying to decide what to do with my '12... I think it's pretty obvious i shouldn't try to kill the battery but it doesn't hurt to ask. I have 49.61AHr right now and about 1 year left on the warranty and at only 27k miles. I've really been babying it though only a couple quick charges and aside from the rare exception, 80% since i got it. The thing about it though, the car was made in Jan 2012 bought in Dec so the batt was already a year old when i got it. Atlanta-ish area. Opinions?

sling said:
Trying to decide what to do with my '12... I think it's pretty obvious i shouldn't try to kill the battery but it doesn't hurt to ask. I have 49.61AHr right now and about 1 year left on the warranty and at only 27k miles. I've really been babying it though only a couple quick charges and aside from the rare exception, 80% since i got it. The thing about it though, the car was made in Jan 2012 bought in Dec so the batt was already a year old when i got it. Atlanta-ish area. Opinions?

I lost my third capacity bar about 13 months before the end of the 5 yr/60,000 mile warranty. It was only then that I thought I had a chance and stopped babying it. Double check your AHr reading, but I would agree that it doesn't seem likely you would drop the 4th bar with that reading with in a year and your less than 7,000 miles a year driving average. (You can see my details in my signature below.)

Continue to enjoy your car and extend the life as much as possible.

elec7ric said:
5/2013 leaf with new battery: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18269&start=130#p473995. My replacement battery is 29580-3NF2A. LeafSpy reports 292 GID. AHr=64.38, SOH=100%, Hx=102.67% (34,000 mi).
Thanks!

Will be interesting to see how this battery holds up vs. the improved battery you already had, since your car was built 5/2013.

cwerdna said:
elec7ric said:
Thanks!

Will be interesting to see how this battery holds up vs. the improved battery you already had, since your car was built 5/2013.

Almost same numbers after 4 months and 5k miles - too early to say, especially that these were "winter" months, while a bit warmer than usual. After the summer, the numbers will be more representative.

I had the original 2011 battery replaced around 10/5/2016.

First Reading: AH=66.14, SOH=100%, Hx=101.38
Current Reading: AH= 60.74, SOH=95%, Hx=91.08 (about 6 months and 7000 miles later)

So this is in Florida, over the winter, although it certainly hasn't been very cold. I'm not sure if this bodes good or poorly for the future.

Updating on battery replacement effort (6/2011 delivery)
No luck convincing Nissan dealer to help on replacement.
69 month usage
60,352 miles
9 bars (very weak top few bars where it drops only after 2 miles)

Not sure if I have good original battery, or just not bad enough for warranty.

sub3marathonman said:
...So this is in Florida, over the winter...
Could you share how you are charging your Leaf? Do you keep it mostly topped off and parked in the sun or shade? I am in west Broward with 2011SL with '15 battery. I would like to compare our capacity degradation. PM me if you want my contact info.

Took mine in with 8 bars today (dropped at 43.50Ahr, 40,600 miles) and left in a loaner with no warranty paperwork ... this dealer hadn't done a warranty replacement before, and was making noise about back & forth with Nissan on information about the battery, mused about replacing individual cells, etc.

Has anyone who obtained a warranty replacement had any issue with Nissan approving it (barring the crazy class action opt-out debacle), or received anything less than a new full-capacity pack with warranty service?

sandeen said:
Took mine in with 8 bars today (dropped at 43.50Ahr, 40,600 miles) and left in a loaner with no warranty paperwork ... this dealer hadn't done a warranty replacement before, and was making noise about back & forth with Nissan on information about the battery, mused about replacing individual cells, etc.

Has anyone who obtained a warranty replacement had any issue with Nissan approving it (barring the crazy class action opt-out debacle), or received anything less than a new full-capacity pack with warranty service?

I don't believe anyone that met the warranty terms has received anything less than a new battery from Nissan. If your dealer has never done a warranty replacement, I would open a case with 1-877-NO GAS EV. My replacement went much smoother once I did that. What was the original in-service date on your car?

I do have a case w/ the NO GAS EV folks, and will check in with them if I don't hear back from the dealer in a day or so.
In-service date seems to be a subject of some debate. :) NO GAS EV said Jan 30 2013, the dealer says they looked it up and got Feb 18 2013. Either way, I'm within the warranty period.

Dealer called back and pointedly said "it will not be a new battery pack, you might only get 10 bars" - I'm hoping he's just quoting back the warranty terms (of which I'm aware), and not some specific info from Nissan about this case; AFAIK everyone who's had a replacement has received a full capacity battery. Surely that won't stop now, right? :)

I'd be a bit concerned about that dealer pocketing the cash from Nissan or keeping a new pack for resale, and then installing a used 10 bar pack for you. See what Nissan says.

They've never done a replacement before, I'm guessing he's just being careful to set official expectations based on a recent read of the warranty or something. I wonder if I can see the packing slip for the pack, and compare the battery ID to what leafspy shows. You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you, right? :)

I just got my car back on Saturday, and replacement was done at no cost to me. Battery has definitely been replaced. Dealership had initially told me they fully charged it with QC, so when I get in the car as it was booting it only showed 67 miles. I realized after it booted and only had 7 bars that the QC stops at 80%. Fully charged it at the house Sunday and car showed 94 miles. Got about 100 miles on it so far this week and all looks well. Battery stats according to LEAFDD are 66.13ahr, HX: 99.79, and car has 57,078 miles. Paperwork didn't have a part number for the battery or anything but I can only guess it is the latest chemistry per the settlement awhile back, and it has all 12 capacity bars showing on the dash. My dealership had never changed a battery before either, but they got the process done pretty quickly. Had to get a scissor lift for the battery brought in. They also had to run a battery report prior to changing, and then after changing the pack to show that it indeed was replaced as part of Nissan's warranty thing. I have never heard of anyone getting less than a new capacity pack, but who knows with them supposedly cancelling the out of warranty assistance program.

sandeen said:

Similar here. Took it in yesterday. 43.21 was where i saw it drop last week. But, when I took it in yesterday, it was like 43.5. 49258 miles. At first, they gave a me loaner. But, called back to say it would take 4-6 weeks for the replacement to come in. So, returned their car and took mine back. Also, they applied a recall to the 2G telematics to disable it.

Back