8 bar battery replacement metrics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my battery came in last week. Dealer installed in half a day. I'm seeing 118 miles on a full charge now, really wonderful stuff....

(Tallahassee, FL 34,320 Miles) Thanks to reading this forum I had determined that my 2011 Leaf might be eligible for the 8 bar warranty replacement. A call to Nissan confirmed that the 'in service date' was 11/01/2011 so I have a couple of months to spare. I had just noticed that I lost my 4th bar a couple of days ago.

The rest of this experience is going to be interesting...

I took it in this morning and the service advisor I saw new nothing about Leafs (despite me asking the receptionist to connect me with somebody that was knowledgeable). She had no knowledge of the warranty or anything else but I dictated what she should tell the tech and left it in her hands.

Having heard nothing, I finally called back late this afternoon and she told me that I would have to leave it because they hadn't heard back from Nissan. I told her that wasn't an option and I would be on my way to pick it up.

When I got there, she brought out the one tech who has any training on the leaf. He started talking about that it might be difficult to get Nissan to agree to the repair and normal stuff about battery degradation. He had not heard of the class action or extended warranty either but I was more than happy to enlighten him.

They let me take the car and told me that they would let me know what they hear from Nissan. They left the diag report in the car which indicated 8 bars remaining and 5 stars for all of the 'ways to keep your battery running longer' sections.

While chatting with the tech, he admitted that he has never changed a battery except 'in school' :roll: and that if/when the battery comes in I will need to plan on having it there for a few days. I may print the comment above from @bmetzner regarding 1/2 day to take to him.

Wish me luck!

(Unfortunately, I don't have the necessary stuff to give all of the requested readings from the battery diagnostics)

Scribbious said:
While chatting with the tech, he admitted that he has never changed a battery except 'in school' :roll: and that if/when the battery comes in I will need to plan on having it there for a few days. I may print the comment above from @bmetzner regarding 1/2 day to take to him.

Wish me luck!
Good luck :D

A little surprising this would be their first one in Tallahassee.
But sales rollout into Florida was about six months later than TN.

My dealer in Chattanooga has done four.
Mine was #4.

Once they got the battery in mine was in the shop little less than two days.
But I was late bringing it in and they got busy on other work.
Two technicians started on it at 15:00 and had the new pack installed in less than three hours.
But took two or three hours to do the programming the following day.
They put up hazard warning barriers and wear high voltage gloves but did not put down rubber floor covering as some mentioned for the earliest replacement.

If dealer only has single technician and its their first one they probably will need two days.

GOM went to 8 bars this weekend! Contacted the local dealer and was advised to "wait" to make sure the 9th bar does not re-appear :? . Since my in-service date is Sept. 2012, there certainly is no rush. Now I've got a dilemma - to wait at least until cooler fall/winter, wait out the entire warrantee, or just get it done and enjoy the newly found range (I have a regular 95 mile trip every other week or so). I've not obtained leafSpy yet (iphone user and just not sure of the right dongle yet), but will soon and post the results for posterity.

:) :p :D

Marktm said:
GOM went to 8 bars this weekend! Contacted the local dealer and was advised to "wait" to make sure the 9th bar does not re-appear :? . Since my in-service date is Sept. 2012, there certainly is no rush. Now I've got a dilemma - to wait at least until cooler fall/winter, wait out the entire warrantee, or just get it done and enjoy the newly found range (I have a regular 95 mile trip every other week or so). I've not obtained leafSpy yet (iphone user and just not sure of the right dongle yet), but will soon and post the results for posterity.

Go to a different dealer. That is a terrible thing to tell a customer. "Well we could order you a new battery today but instead why don't you wait to see if get the capacity back and no longer qualify for a new battery."

I'd recommend this dongle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QJRYMFC/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But considering how much time you left on the warranty and your 95 mile regular trips you do have a tough decision but fortunately you end up winking either way!

JasonA said:
3rd bar just dropped right at 46.74ah and 30k miles.. i have pretty much 1year left exactly on the warranty (Sept 2012 vehicle)...

Need those AH's to fall off quick!

33a5660db2733a657284155e03b7642e.jpg

Out of curiosity - how did you obtain this (assume some sort of OBDII) dump?

Marktm said:

I'm almost in your same situation (with a later in service date, 15k miles, 3 bars). My plan is to drive it as far as I can up until battery warranty nears. Get as much life as you can out of the car.

Hey guys,

Just lost my 9th bar. I was tracking AHr decline through LeafSpy. Had it upload the data to dropbox and then I copied it to Excel and Graphed it. Take a look. Lost at approx 42.9.

gHAok8T.jpg

Marktm said:

Took it to the local dealer today to have the battery checked. Just called back with results that a new battery will be ordered. The service adviser promised that he will give me the complete results of the battery check (not the simple-Simon sheet) - we will see tomorrow when I pick it up. He also had no problem putting the new battery in their conditioned warehouse if I wanted to wait to have it installed for a couple of months to get past the summer heat here in Texas. Hope all works out smoothly - looks promising.

Marktm said:
Marktm said:

Took it to the local dealer today to have the battery checked. Just called back with results that a new battery will be ordered. The service adviser promised that he will give me the complete results of the battery check (not the simple-Simon sheet) - we will see tomorrow when I pick it up. He also had no problem putting the new battery in their conditioned warehouse if I wanted to wait to have it installed for a couple of months to get past the summer heat here in Texas. Hope all works out smoothly - looks promising.

Dealer emailed that the "power train warantee" group has not analyzed the test results from last Monday's battery tests - have not heard back on the replacement. I did get the Leaf back - with all 8 bars showing - not change there. Is there a number to call directly about what is going on? Has anyone experienced this type of wait for Nissan to make up there mind if they will honor a clearly stated warantee? Again, the dealer has promised to send the detailed test data - whatever that is. I get the impression that the service adviser knows little about the Leaf - he told me that my Leaf had only "6 bars" after the test. I told him that you must count the red bars also :?

Marktm said:
Is there a number to call directly about what is going on? Has anyone experienced this type of wait for Nissan to make up there mind if they will honor a clearly stated warantee?
My only significant wait was three days to find out if they were going to provide good will replacement.
But I was two weeks past five years.

My guess is they may be busy with lots of warranty claims.

But dealer might have sent to wrong Nissan group.

You could call the EV customer support number.
But I think it would be better to stay with working through the dealer.

Might have been better to use dealer with replacement experience though.

Marktm said:
Marktm said:
Marktm said:

Dealer emailed that the "power train warantee" group has not analyzed the test results from last Monday's battery tests - have not heard back on the replacement. I did get the Leaf back - with all 8 bars showing - not change there. Is there a number to call directly about what is going on? Has anyone experienced this type of wait for Nissan to make up there mind if they will honor a clearly stated warantee? Again, the dealer has promised to send the detailed test data - whatever that is. I get the impression that the service adviser knows little about the Leaf - he told me that my Leaf had only "6 bars" after the test. I told him that you must count the red bars also :?

FWIW it was literally the next morning that my dealer last spring heard back that it was approved. Maybe Nissan corporate is behind on reviewing things? Or the dealer is messing things up but I'd wait to see what happens on Monday.

JasonA said:
Lsixecho said:
Lost at approx 42.9.
Damn! :(

I'm soooo far away ;-(
Do this 10-15 times and you will lose 3-4 Ahr.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzYPiKWN6D4OOUdjeHBWYS1PRU0
You will need access to a DCQC. The DCQC will literally cook your battery.

TimLee said:
My guess is they may be busy with lots of warranty claims.

But dealer might have sent to wrong Nissan group.

You could call the EV customer support number.
But I think it would be better to stay with working through the dealer.

Might have been better to use dealer with replacement experience though.

Finally heard back that they will replace the battery under warranty. It will take 12-14 weeks for the battery to arrive. I'll post the metrics as soon as I get the correct iphone dongle. I'll update any progress.

I just got Leaf Spy and am glad I did! I am currently at 9 bars with AHr = 41.68, SOH = 63%, Hx = 42.26% on a 2012 with 33k miles on it. I look forward to a new battery, especially in the Vegas heat!

Hey All, I wanted to know what you guy think of my results and if you think it is possible to hit the 8 bar drop. I was reading at the start of this thread that the battery dropped at 43.7 AH but looks more like 41 now. here are my results

Average Miles for 1AHr
Average miles for .05 AHr

Current trend resuts
57.45 miles per -0.03 AHr

Miles AHr
41,905.00 49.31
43,637.60 49.10 -0.21AHr
55,223.00 44.40 -4.70AHr
55,600.00 44.38 -0.02 AHr
55,646.90 44.35 -0.03 AHr
55,774.90 44.29 -0.05 AHr
55,821.50 44.29 -0.01 AHr
55,891.70 44.28 -0.01 AHr
55,936.40 44.20 -0.08 AHr

Date will reach 60,000 miles 12/9/2016

Estimates at 60,000
Trend estimate 42.03
Average Est. 43.50

kjpowers said:
Hey All, I wanted to know what you guy think of my results and if you think it is possible to hit the 8 bar drop. I was reading at the start of this thread that the battery dropped at 43.7 AH but looks more like 41 now. here are my results

Average Miles for 1AHr
Average miles for .05 AHr

Current trend resuts
57.45 miles per -0.03 AHr

Miles AHr
41,905.00 49.31
43,637.60 49.10 -0.21AHr
55,223.00 44.40 -4.70AHr
55,600.00 44.38 -0.02 AHr
55,646.90 44.35 -0.03 AHr
55,774.90 44.29 -0.05 AHr
55,821.50 44.29 -0.01 AHr
55,891.70 44.28 -0.01 AHr
55,936.40 44.20 -0.08 AHr

Date will reach 60,000 miles 12/9/2016

Estimates at 60,000
Trend estimate 42.03
Average Est. 43.50

You don't say when your warranty expires but if you have the calendar time if I were you I would stop driving the car now leaving it plugged in, with the climate control timer set to go off everyday. THis will do four things. First it'll keep the 12 volt battery charged, then it'll keep the traction battery at a relatively high SOC, and it'll cause the battery to cycle a bit as the climate control while plugged in does this pattern of discharging the battery and then charging it back up, and it will keep the inside nice and dry. Then figure out how many miles you can drive it per week such that the calendar warranty expiration and the mileage expiration line up. This will allow you to continue to monitor the progression of the battery capacity degradation.

Back