8 bar battery replacement metrics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QueenBee said:
kjpowers said:
Hey All, I wanted to know what you guy think of my results and if you think it is possible to hit the 8 bar drop. I was reading at the start of this thread that the battery dropped at 43.7 AH but looks more like 41 now. here are my results

Average Miles for 1AHr
Average miles for .05 AHr

Current trend resuts
57.45 miles per -0.03 AHr

Miles AHr
41,905.00 49.31
43,637.60 49.10 -0.21AHr
55,223.00 44.40 -4.70AHr
55,600.00 44.38 -0.02 AHr
55,646.90 44.35 -0.03 AHr
55,774.90 44.29 -0.05 AHr
55,821.50 44.29 -0.01 AHr
55,891.70 44.28 -0.01 AHr
55,936.40 44.20 -0.08 AHr

Date will reach 60,000 miles 12/9/2016

Estimates at 60,000
Trend estimate 42.03
Average Est. 43.50

You don't say when your warranty expires but if you have the calendar time if I were you I would stop driving the car now leaving it plugged in, with the climate control timer set to go off everyday. THis will do four things. First it'll keep the 12 volt battery charged, then it'll keep the traction battery at a relatively high SOC, and it'll cause the battery to cycle a bit as the climate control while plugged in does this pattern of discharging the battery and then charging it back up, and it will keep the inside nice and dry. Then figure out how many miles you can drive it per week such that the calendar warranty expiration and the mileage expiration line up. This will allow you to continue to monitor the progression of the battery capacity degradation.
I will stop driving immediately. I am not sure when my warranty is up. My service report shows del date of 12 oct 12. In regard to running the ac, would this show up on the warranty report, I would hate to not get it. Would it be better to drain it via ac the QC I only live 5 miles away from one and only have a total of 40 QC.

kjpowers said:
QueenBee said:
kjpowers said:
Hey All, I wanted to know what you guy think of my results and if you think it is possible to hit the 8 bar drop. I was reading at the start of this thread that the battery dropped at 43.7 AH but looks more like 41 now. here are my results

Average Miles for 1AHr
Average miles for .05 AHr

Current trend resuts
57.45 miles per -0.03 AHr

Miles AHr
41,905.00 49.31
43,637.60 49.10 -0.21AHr
55,223.00 44.40 -4.70AHr
55,600.00 44.38 -0.02 AHr
55,646.90 44.35 -0.03 AHr
55,774.90 44.29 -0.05 AHr
55,821.50 44.29 -0.01 AHr
55,891.70 44.28 -0.01 AHr
55,936.40 44.20 -0.08 AHr

Date will reach 60,000 miles 12/9/2016

Estimates at 60,000
Trend estimate 42.03
Average Est. 43.50

You don't say when your warranty expires but if you have the calendar time if I were you I would stop driving the car now leaving it plugged in, with the climate control timer set to go off everyday. THis will do four things. First it'll keep the 12 volt battery charged, then it'll keep the traction battery at a relatively high SOC, and it'll cause the battery to cycle a bit as the climate control while plugged in does this pattern of discharging the battery and then charging it back up, and it will keep the inside nice and dry. Then figure out how many miles you can drive it per week such that the calendar warranty expiration and the mileage expiration line up. This will allow you to continue to monitor the progression of the battery capacity degradation.
I will stop driving immediately. I am not sure when my warranty is up. My service report shows del date of 12 oct 12. Would this show up on the warranty report. Would it be better to drain it via ac the ac I only have a total of 40.

Yeah, I believe the service paperwork the dealer provides you is reading the delivery date from Nissan associated with your VIN and thus would be your warranty expiration date. So with a whole year left you've got lots of time to let the battery age it self.

The Nissan preferred way to drain the traction battery as per the service manual (used for testing and such) is temp at 90, defrost mode selected and windows rolled down.

What do you mean by total of 40?

QueenBee said:
kjpowers said:
QueenBee said:
I will stop driving immediately. I am not sure when my warranty is up. My service report shows del date of 12 oct 12. Would this show up on the warranty report. Would it be better to drain it via ac the ac I only have a total of 40.

Yeah, I believe the service paperwork the dealer provides you is reading the delivery date from Nissan associated with your VIN and thus would be your warranty expiration date. So with a whole year left you've got lots of time to let the battery age it self.

The Nissan preferred way to drain the traction battery as per the service manual (used for testing and such) is temp at 90, defrost mode selected and windows rolled down.

I noticed my post was not clear and edited it but this is what I ment.
In regard to running the ac, would this show up on the warranty report, I would hate to not get it. Would it be better to drain it via ac the QC I only live 5 miles away from one and only have a total of 40 QC.
I will be able to not drive my car until JAN if I choose.

kjpowers said:
QueenBee said:
kjpowers said:

I noticed my post was not clear and edited it but this is what I ment.
In regard to running the ac, would this show up on the warranty report, I would hate to not get it. Would it be better to drain it via ac the QC I only live 5 miles away from one and only have a total of 40 QC.
I will be able to not drive my car until JAN if I choose.

If you like driving I think taking it out for spirited drives, QCing, more spririted driving, repeat, etc. will cause the LEAFs poorly engineered battery to get nice and toasty which I think will definitely help age the battery. Just make sure your consumption of miles trends such that you will not run out of miles before you run out of calendar time.

I don't think we know exactly what data Nissan is able to keep track.

QC actually improved my battery by 1%, best is to charge at 100% every day.

Finally, 4th bar dropped at 33,842 miles 3 years and 10.5 months. 43.34 AHr

Scary call with Nissan when they told me the put in service date was 10/05/2011, when I bought the car 11/29/2012. Fought and fought until they confirmed it. Then they said my vin had a red mark for the lawsuit, but I opted in this year when they settled and I got the No Charge to Charge card from Nissan. Nissan says 10-12 weeks wait once approved. Dropping car off tomorrow at Regal Nissan to verify it and they are giving me up to 3 day free rental to allow them to do all checks. Paid off to charge to 100% every day!

braineo said:
I think any jumps from QC is short lived and not a permanent increase and thus continued QCing to high temperatures is definitely not going to be good for the long term capacity of the battery. I think even more frequent level 2 charging maybe cause a bump in reported battery capacity. One possible explanation is that this allows the battery to be better balanced.

braineo said:

Finally, 4th bar dropped at 33,842 miles 3 years and 10.5 months. 43.34 AHr

Scary call with Nissan when they told me the put in service date was 10/05/2011, when I bought the car 11/29/2012. Fought and fought until they confirmed it. Then they said my vin had a red mark for the lawsuit, but I opted in this year when they settled and I got the No Charge to Charge card from Nissan. Nissan says 10-12 weeks wait once approved. Dropping car off tomorrow at Regal Nissan to verify it and they are giving me up to 3 day free rental to allow them to do all checks. Paid off to charge to 100% every day!
I am getting mixed results on what ahr that the bar drops right now I am at 44.2 last night 44.27 then the night before that 44.2

Hello -
I don't know if this has been covered elsewhere, but does anyone know how to get a full battery report out of the OBDII Scan (LeafSpy), or is this not possible? Is there any information the dealership tech gets that we don't get on LeafSpy?
I am grumpy about having to pay the dealership for the privilege of getting told how much my battery has degraded since 2011 (down to 74% capacity, according to LeafSpy). In my opinion Nissan should be thankful to get the data on these first-gen batteries, and a yearly battery report should be free as it was for the first two years.

Thanks,
Josh

Hi all i posted here before about my battery hitting 8 bars and me getting a new battery from the dealer under warranty.

Today i am unhappy to report that this brand new replacement batter after only 3 months of driving and no quick charges dropped 1%. it is upsetting to see Nissan sliding downhill on these cars
currently LeafSpy reflects the following values:

Ahr 63.70 SOH 99% Hx 95.86%

Hx dropped 10% in 3 months.
Ahr dropped 4% in 3 months
at this rate ill be losing SOH at 4% per year.

I could not be more dissapointed

futureal said:
Hi all i posted here before about my battery hitting 8 bars and me getting a new battery from the dealer under warranty.

Today i am unhappy to report that this brand new replacement batter after only 3 months of driving and no quick charges dropped 1%. it is upsetting to see Nissan sliding downhill on these cars
currently LeafSpy reflects the following values:

Ahr 63.70 SOH 99% Hx 95.86%

Hx dropped 10% in 3 months.
Ahr dropped 4% in 3 months
at this rate ill be losing SOH at 4% per year.

I could not be more dissapointed

You don't give your location, but we just went through a summer, so an excellerated drop is expected.
I have been concerned about my drop as well (I'm @61 AHr after 9 months), but the lizard batteries don't behave exactly the same as the old/original battery packs. Specifically:
1) I don't have a lot of 100% charges (especially over the summer)
2) I haven't driven near the miles I had a year ago now (when heading towards my battery replacement)

It will be interesting to see what happens to AHr when the temps cool and I get in some 100% charges (and balancing); if I get nothing back, then I will be disappointed.

barsad22 said:
Hello -
I don't know if this has been covered elsewhere, but does anyone know how to get a full battery report out of the OBDII Scan (LeafSpy), or is this not possible? Is there any information the dealership tech gets that we don't get on LeafSpy?
I am grumpy about having to pay the dealership for the privilege of getting told how much my battery has degraded since 2011 (down to 74% capacity, according to LeafSpy). In my opinion Nissan should be thankful to get the data on these first-gen batteries, and a yearly battery report should be free as it was for the first two years.

Thanks,
Josh
I have the same question but we do get a lot of data as it is from LeafSpy not sure if we can tap into the logs of the battery that may need to be done through the maintanace port on the battery itself. Last time I got a report I had my obd2 connected and when I got my car back it was still connected. Granted they also said they inflated my tires and not but 200 miles later got a low pressure warning.

bmetzner said:
What is a typical wait time for the replacement battery?
Dealer/Nissan EV agree that the battery was ordered back in late June but can not give me any more information on when it will arrive at Dealer.
I can say that currently (Nov., 2016), the replacement battery pack lead time is between 10 and 14 weeks. I just received one that was ordered in the middle of August. This backorder situation is obviously a fluid situation, and will vary according to production schedules of both the battery packs and the new Leaf output, I imagine. I was told 2-10 weeks when I ordered it, and it took about 11.

To summarize my experience I posted about previously, I was denied a warranty replacement of my 8-bar pack because it dropped the ninth bar 3.5 months after the 60-month warranty period. I was, however, offered an 80% discount off a new replacement pack as a "good will" gesture by Nissan. I believe this was because my Leaf was not part of the class action suit and Nissan was afraid I was going to take further legal action regarding the performance of the car compared to their advertising claims regarding degradation made in the past, before we bought it. I wasn't happy about having to pay $1200 for a new battery, but I didn't want to hassle any further and accepted the offer. Now, after having it installed, it is a joy to not have to worry about range and/or charge twice a day to get to where we want to go, so I figure it is money well spent. This will get us through to the 200-mile EVs on the horizon. Here is the Leaf Spy screenshot from driving it home 6 miles from the dealership after the installation, to compare with the image I posted above from when it lost the 9th bar. One consolation is that the new battery has a full 8-yr./100k defect warranty and a new 5-yr./60 month warranty again, since it was purchased and not replaced on warranty, which carries only a 12-month/12k mile warranty to stay at or above 9 bars.

Screenshot_2016-10-27-17-27-54_zpsm3wrlp4o.jpg

Just picked up the 2012 Leaf with new "Lizard" battery;

IMG_4682.PNGIMG_4681.PNGIMG_4680.PNG

GOM shows 114 miles remaining on ECO mode with all "users" off. Guess that's why it's called a "guess-o-meter"!

Sorry for the double post, but this thread appears to be the correct one for such data.

Don't remember if I mentioned, but my baby dropped to 8 bars, I took it in day before yesterday, and they said the battery will be here in under 8 weeks! :mrgreen:

I also took my leaf in for a warranty replacement on 11/28.
The dealer only quoted me 4 to 6 weeks wait time, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

DiamondDan73 said:
I'm at the dealership buying a MY2012 SL with 38,000 miles and my LEAFpro shows that it's at AHr 42.94 and the car has 9 bars now. I called Nissan and they said that the car qualifies for a battery replacement at 8 bars. It does have an open campaign for the software update so I will take it to the Nissan dealership when I get a chance.

I just picked up a 2012 with 33500 miles with 9 battery bars and the AHr=46.41 and SOH=70% Any tips on how I can push it so I can get a new battery by the end of September 2017. Thank you all for your imput....

Drive it until you get low battery warning. Quick charge as much as possible. Park it in the sun. Avoid the shade. You basically want to get the batteries as hot as possible. It only took me 6 months to get mine to drop.

DiamondDan73 said:
Drive it until you get low battery warning. Quick charge as much as possible. Park it in the sun. Avoid the shade. You basically want to get the batteries as hot as possible. It only took me 6 months to get mine to drop.
I'd drive it until the 2nd low battery warning (VLBW). Park it in the sun at full charge. Try it always leave it at 100% charge for extended periods. Charge it when the battery's hot. Keep the batteries hot.

As for QC, since he has many months time, definitely QC, drain the battery by driving and QC again. Rinse and repeat to really cook the battery and get the temp gauge almost at or into red,

My replacement battery seems to be on a rapid decline at slightly over 5 weeks:

New battery log.jpg

Has anyone had such rapid Ahr/HX decline? - and now even SOH declining. It has been very mild here and all level II charging - with minimal miles!

Back