TVA commissions first new nuclear reactor in US in 20 years

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MSR thorium developed and used in the 1950's and used through the 70's solved all nuclear issues.

Read a book called Superfuel if you want to learn how proper nuclear tech should work.

Thorium cycle

1. Cannot melt down
2. Costs less
3. Uses 95%+ less fuel and produces 95% less waste.
4. Cannot be used to make weapons
5. Generates unique isotopes used in science and medicine.

Molten Salt Reactor (MSR) originated in the 50's, but only recently, early 2000's, has it gained new interest. This article suggests plans may be well under way to build them, in several countries, led by China.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/current-and-future-generation/molten-salt-reactors.aspx

rmay635703 said:
MSR thorium developed and used in the 1950's and used through the 70's solved all nuclear issues.
Thor Energy in Norway is working to commercialize thorium. Their initial two products are being developed to work in 90% of the world's existing nuclear reactors. The have a three-step plan for rolling out thorium into the marketplace:

Step 1: Th.Add - Additive to the Uranium cycle
- 5-10 % Th in Uranium Oxide
- Can be used in today’s reactors
- To gain experience with Thorium
- To improve fuel performance

Step 2: Th.Mox - Supplement to the Uranium cycle
- 90 % Th /10 % Pu
- Replacing 238U (90 %) in conventional U-MOX
- Can be used in today’s reactors
- Increased safety
- Destruction of waste legacy

Step 3: Th.233U - Replacement of the Uranium cycle
- Only Th needed, 233U recycled
- Can be used in advanced new reactors
(ADS, MSR, A-LWR, etc.)
- Very little long lived waste

This solution does look very attractive. They claim there are no showstoppers. Hopefully that is true.

And the pendulum swings the other way:

Power company kills nuclear plant, plans $6 billion in solar, battery investment - Ars Technica
https://apple.news/AQ_wLuI3_StKqTccL7run_Q

DNAinaGoodWay said:
And the pendulum swings the other way:
Perhaps. It may also be that each company has made the best choice for their needs. Specifically, perhaps a nuclear power plant is a bad idea in low-lying coastal areas which could be struck by a major hurricanes sometime in the next half-century.

And solar certainly is a good fit in Florida. Widespread solar becomes less attractive as you move away from the equator.

Finally, I hope that Duke Energy's solar plan is mostly centered around rooftop photovoltaics, though I suspect that may not be the case.

Back