The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BudT said:
My wife and I are happy with the Leaf so far. All of the features and operational aspects are fairly intuitive to us. I'm looking forward to playing with data from the car (I'm a data neRd), and am considering getting LeafSpy and a Bluetooth OBD-2 interface.
If the bold part is true (like myself) then you shouldn't even think twice about the red part. :mrgreen: :ugeek:

You will enjoy it. It's worth every $.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
BudT said:
My wife and I are happy with the Leaf so far. All of the features and operational aspects are fairly intuitive to us. I'm looking forward to playing with data from the car (I'm a data neRd), and am considering getting LeafSpy and a Bluetooth OBD-2 interface.
If the bold part is true (like myself) then you shouldn't even think twice about the red part. :mrgreen: :ugeek:

You will enjoy it. It's worth every $.

Yup. Ready to get my R on with some Leaf data. Need to drive more first ;)

I finally jumped off the fence and bought a 2015 SV with 8,000+ miles. It was and still is an Atlanta car that is parked inside at home, and in the basement at work. This first week I have been trickle charging, but I just ordered the Juicebox 40 that is to be delivered in 2 days.

The car comes with QC, and I already ordered all the cards from the major providers. It's not on a monthly subscription, as it is for emergencies. My daily commute is at least 54 miles, so I need to take care of it while the cost of the batteries continue to fall.

I've been here for a couple of months, still a newbee, thought I'd post my question here, since I can't figure out which "leafspy pro" thread to post in.

I purchased Fineed super Mini ELM327 OBDII plug-in. I can't figure out how to register as new user, as it asks for email address, then a password. It won't accept my password, says "not correct format", but doesn't tell me what's wrong with the format.

Any ideas? I've sent the same question to the seller ("lizebest" ...Amazon)

Officially finally purchased my own Leaf! Just a few days ago, I picked up a 2013 Leaf S with QC port and 29k miles. Strangest thing happened though... when I test drove the car, it showed 12 bars but two days after taking ownership, it now shows 11. I don't mind though since I got a great deal on it ($7.3k). I had some range anxiety over the weekend when the car ran to empty. In the long run, I"m sure it'll be fine... just something I need to get used to.

So I've noticed that Nissan removed the 80% charge feature in the 2014. However, this feature is still available in the 2013. From reading the boards, many believe the second half of 2013 manufactured Leafs have better batteries than the first half (didn't think to check but I do indeed have one from the second half). Is there any consensus on whether leaving the charge to 100% in the 2013 hurts the longevity of the battery?

If it matters, I'm in the camp that batteries will continue to lower in price so that eventually when we all do need to change the battery, it will be affordable.

Leafs built Jan-March of 2013 generally show faster degradation than Leafs built from 4/13 on. Since you have the charge to 80% option, I suggest you use it when you don't need a full charge. When you do, try to time the end of charge with a time near your departure. Finally, if the car loses another bar soon, you have been scammed by someone who reset the BMS to show 12 bars - for a few weeks. If that is the case I suggest you get them to take it back. LeafSpy can tell you more about that.

bigbluebear said:
Officially finally purchased my own Leaf! Just a few days ago, I picked up a 2013 Leaf S with QC port and 29k miles. Strangest thing happened though... when I test drove the car, it showed 12 bars but two days after taking ownership, it now shows 11. I don't mind though since I got a great deal on it ($7.3k). I had some range anxiety over the weekend when the car ran to empty. In the long run, I"m sure it'll be fine... just something I need to get used to.
Welcome!

Hope you didn't get a vehicle with a reset BMS (one that actually was done a couple bars where some unscrupulous person/dealer reset it to read 12) which will decline within a few weeks or months to its true reading. Where did the vehicle reside before?

I take it you didn't use Leaf Spy to get the AHr, Hx and SOH values, right?

cwerdna said:
bigbluebear said:
Welcome!

Hope you didn't get a vehicle with a reset BMS (one that actually was done a couple bars where some unscrupulous person/dealer reset it to read 12) which will decline within a few weeks or months to its true reading. Where did the vehicle reside before?

I take it you didn't use Leaf Spy to get the AHr, Hx and SOH values, right?

I read about leafspy on here and was going to purchase the OBD2 but just didn't have the time before. I'm no too upset about it. The car has 29k miles so I'm fine. The car was a lease return so my guess is that the prev owner charged to 100%.

I am about to purchase an OBD2 dongle and have been looking through the boards to figure out which OBD2 dongle to buy. Which one do you recommend? I was thinking this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJRYMFC

Also since you also have a 2013, how is your battery doing? Any suggestions on charging and usage?

This ODB2 BlueTooth works. This is the one that I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Version-Bluetooth-Multi-Language-12Kinds-Android/dp/B00N2K6M2A/

And it's only $4.49 with free shipping.

bigbluebear said:
Also since you also have a 2013, how is your battery doing? Any suggestions on charging and usage?

My current '13 is used. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=430825#p430825 were my readings at my purchase. Its original in-service date was late 6/2013.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=467208#p467208 were recent readings.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=467221#p467221 are some of my habits.

Although I'm not religious about keeping the battery SoC low as I'd rather charge for free at work or public charging, I do try to keep the battery cooler, when I can. But, I don't like leaving my car out overnight on work days as a signal to people casing houses/potential house or car burglars. (My house was broken into for the first time ever in Jan 2015 when there was a MASSIVE spike in burglaries in my area (over triple compared to the same period a year before). This house (built in 1979) and every place I've ever lived in had never been broken into until then. We've also intermittently had car break-ins here.)

For longevity, I would definitely not leave it at 100% or high SoC for a long period of time, esp. out in the heat. Keep the car cooler (e.g. in covered parking, shadier areas, w/less sun exposure, etc.) If feasible, charge when it's cooler, since even L2 charging heats up the battery slightly. DC FCing can really heat it up.

Hi from another Canadian recent purchaser of a 2013 lease return. I'd encourage any interested lower mainlander to consider importing a LEAF from Washington State.
There are hundreds coming off lease every month. They will continue to do so for the next year.
Apparently the LEAF was Nissan's biggest selling model in Seattle in 2013.
Generous subsidies and low lease charges combined with higher fuel costs encouraged this activity.
In Seattle, I was able to find a 2013 SL Premium Package manufactured in Dec. '13. In service date was Apr. 14, so more than 6 months warranty left. Battery SOH is 95%, and it had only 8 quick charges, including one by me in Bellingham on the way home.
Importing is a slight chore, but not too difficult. The recalls (specifically the latest passenger seat sensor one) must be done prior to import. The daytime running light mod can be done in Canada and is reasonably simple if you are a diy type. (Check this forum).
If I were to do it again, I might ask the folks at the Nissan dealership in Bellingham to find one to my specs. I stopped there for a 30 minute charge and they seemed nice enough. A lot closer to home than Seattle.
Lastly, many thanks to all of you who have posted here and helped with my decision to buy a truly remarkable vehicle.

Took possession of a new to me 2015 SV w/34k km a few weeks back. Paid CA$25,000 on the road with full brake service, all weather mats, and a brand new Nissan/Aero branded EVSE thrown in. That works out to about $21,700 pre tax.

Turns out the brakes only needed to be cleaned up (still plenty of rotor and 50% pads). They just gave me the rotors and pads they ordered in to use when they are due. They were quite squealy but now they're quiet (or as quiet as they get when there is no other noise to mask them). It is sometimes disconcerting to be able to here your friction brakes because it's so quiet...

So far I'm loving this car! I live 25km from the edge of the city...in the sticks we call it here. This is perfect for this car - 25-35km @ 95km/h to my first errand, run around the city going here and there, then back home at 95km/h to plug in with 25-40% battery left after 90km.

I've already developed the habit of 3 bars of power to accelerate (unless more is needed, or desired: red light races with redneck pickups occasionally) and regenning my way to a stop.

I'm still waiting for a decent OBD dongle so I can check my SOH and but I'm confident it'll be in decent shape. I've got 12 bars and the ranges I'm seeing so far look pretty darn good, even using CC and heated seats form time to time.

Look for ClerbLeaf on Plugshare.com...and happy regenning!

Got a Blue 2016 SV delivered on Saturday while hurricane Matthew rained down on NC. Ended up buying it from a dealer in VA and they had one of their technicians trailer it down to me. Drove it about 80 miles this past weekend. Pretty neat car. Should make a good addition to my 2000 Xterra.

My wife & I got a gently used '15 SL last Saturday locally. 4,200 miles on the car. So far, we're really loving it. We live about 19 miles from work and we feel we could get 2 days worth of use out of it if we didn't have to run errands or visit friends/family.

So far getting about 4.3 to 4.4 miles per Kwh. Combine that with the $0.06/Kw from our local power supplier (8pm to 8am), that translates to about $0.014/mile to operate. So far, just using the Level-1 charging in our garage when we park at night.

LeafSpy and the OBD-II dongle-thingy will happen later, so I can keep an eye on the battery and other data.

Now onto my 2010 Zero S project bike (which will soon be powered by 7 Leaf cells!).

I have had the 2016 SV for about a week, went on a shake down drive today of about a 100 miles, stopped at a Nissan dealer to QC in Lakeland, FL and then back home. Had A/C running and going about 65 mph, got around 3.5 miles/KWH, so quite satisfied with that on the Interstate. Getting about 4.5 miles per KWH around town. Question - why did the QC blow the horn at 88% on the outbound charge and then I stopped the charge at 91% on the inbound charge?

Still working on the understanding of the charging process.

oleviking said:
Question - why did the QC blow the horn at 88% on the outbound charge and then I stopped the charge at 91% on the inbound charge?

Still working on the understanding of the charging process.
Haven't had that happen on my 15 but maybe it honks at a certain battery temp, similar to when inflating tires and it hits 36?psi.

LeftieBiker said:
Leafs built Jan-March of 2013 generally show faster degradation than Leafs built from 4/13 on. Since you have the charge to 80% option, I suggest you use it when you don't need a full charge. When you do, try to time the end of charge with a time near your departure. Finally, if the car loses another bar soon, you have been scammed by someone who reset the BMS to show 12 bars - for a few weeks. If that is the case I suggest you get them to take it back. LeafSpy can tell you more about that.

How can you use LeafSpy to tell if the BMS was reset or not? Also, how do you know when your Leaf was built?

marblekit said:
LeftieBiker said:

How can you use LeafSpy to tell if the BMS was reset or not? Also, how do you know when your Leaf was built?
Answer to your first question is - it's not possible. 2nd question - check the label on the inside door jam of the drivers door.

I picked up my Leaf on Oct 21st. 2013 SL for $10,269 including tax, tags, notary fee and registration. 23,100 on the clock when I bought it. I have absolutely no complaints. It came with a Level 2 charger that I hooked up in my garage. At 100% charge I see 84 miles on the dash display. I've only been charging to 80%. Everything is great so far.

Back