iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
Marktm said:
Turbo3 said:
I have ordered one for testing. The adapter must support the ELM327 AT command set including setting the header response information (AT SH, AT FCSH, AT FCSD).

I have one that looks like this one from Xtool and it does not support the AT command set so can not be used with the Leaf.

Thanks - let us know your results. Asking for such (AT commands) information from the (Chinese) suppliers is usually at best very confusing! :cry:
I just received this OBDII adapter and did a quick test. This adapter does not seem to support all the needed commands. So it is not suitable for the Leaf or LeafSpy use. When I have more time I will look to see exactly which command it is rejecting.

Turbo3;
I went ahead and purchased the LELink dongle and LeafSpy Pro to use with my iphone 5s. After a few days, it appears LELink has lost it's "link". No update - the bottom right is yellow and states "config elm 00" - no cycling of codes and no update of data. Is there a "reset" that can be sent? I tried reconnecting the LELink physically with no change. I also re-installed LeafSpy to no avail. Anything to try except send it back?

I do have an app called LightBlue that can send ascii codes (ATXXX) directly to the dongle?

Marktm said:
I went ahead and purchased the LELink dongle and LeafSpy Pro to use with my iphone 5s. After a few days, it appears LELink has lost it's "link". No update - the bottom right is yellow and states "config elm 00" - no cycling of codes and no update of data. Is there a "reset" that can be sent? I tried reconnecting the LELink physically with no change. I also re-installed LeafSpy to no avail. Anything to try except send it back?

I do have an app called LightBlue that can send ascii codes (ATXXX) directly to the dongle?

To follow up - Turbo3 confirmed that the LELink I received had stopped processing the commands - even though the module would connect. I have returned it and ordered a new one. Appears these dongles do work, but not consistently - may have to try several before you get a good one.

LightBlue app does communicate with the dongle and can be used to test certain commands if needed.

Does LeafSpy support the 2016 Nissan Leaf? It is simply unclear to me from looking at the app information that it does.

Finally, there is a bit of ambiguity regarding the correct or preferred OBD2 a Bluetooth or WiFi? The LeafSpy support page says that it MUST be Bluetooth but the LeafSpy app page says (I think) that either version is fine. May I ask for a specific recommendation or two?

Also, if relevant, I have an iPhone6 that I'd like to use for LeafSpy (and also an iPad). I plan on using the iPhone 6 with LeafSpy.

Thank you.

This is the one i use with my iphone 5c
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2014-Newest-For-IOS-and-Android-Viecar-4-0-obd2-bluetooth-scanner-tool-for-Multi-brands/803871_32233576208.html

Received my second try at the LELink bluetooth module. It's working fine for two days so far - a day longer than the last one! The "low energy" bluetooth is the best way to go - you can leave it hooked up all the time (if you use the car regularly), it automatically starts and logs data, and the LELink is small enough to leave it in place without encroaching on leg room.

Sure would like an answer to two questions regarding LeafSpy Pro:

1. Does LeafSpy work with the 2016 Nissan Leaf with a 30 kw-hr battery? I know it works with earlier Leaf models with the 24 kw-hr battery but I can't determine from any of the support or comment pages if LeafSpy is programmed to take into account the newer, larger batter.

2. Which -- exactly, please -- OBD2 devices will work with LeafSpy Pro (assuming I'll be using an iPhone 6). Please clarify if EITHER a Bluetooth OR a WiFe OBD2 device is acceptable. It would be nice to have some specific recommendations as to which ones will work reliably (with maybe a link to the eBay or Amazon site where the OBD2 can be ordered).

Thank you.

apzelic said:
Sure would like an answer to two questions regarding LeafSpy Pro:

1. Does LeafSpy work with the 2016 Nissan Leaf with a 30 kw-hr battery? I know it works with earlier Leaf models with the 24 kw-hr battery but I can't determine from any of the support or comment pages if LeafSpy is programmed to take into account the newer, larger batter.

2. Which -- exactly, please -- OBD2 devices will work with LeafSpy Pro (assuming I'll be using an iPhone 6). Please clarify if EITHER a Bluetooth OR a WiFe OBD2 device is acceptable. It would be nice to have some specific recommendations as to which ones will work reliably (with maybe a link to the eBay or Amazon site where the OBD2 can be ordered).

Thank you.
1) Yes, LeafSpy Pro works with the 30 kWh battery and the 2016 Leaf.

2) For iOS (iPhone) the recommended OBDII adapter is the Bluetooth 4.x LE "LELink" available from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/LELink-Bluet...ie=UTF8&qid=1477464728&sr=8-1&keywords=LELink

apzelic;

Be aware that the LELink module has been inconsistent in quality and may have to be returned. So far, the second module is working fine - but only a week or so into it!

Buy from Amazon - they make returns really easy!!

Marktm said:
apzelic;

Be aware that the LELink module has been inconsistent in quality and may have to be returned. So far, the second module is working fine - but only a week or so into it!

Buy from Amazon - they make returns really easy!!
The Kiwi 3 Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapter by PLX also works but is more expensive.

The LELink and Kiwi 3 are the only Bluetooth 4.x LE adapters that work with both iOS and Android in Bluetooth 4.x LE mode. For Android these are the only two that work (in BT LE mode). The latest Android test release of LeafSpy Pro now supports Bluetooth 4.x LE but only with these two adapters.

Even with the failure rate of the LELink that has been reported, if you buy from Amazon, it is the best one. Perhaps if enough people buy from Amazon work will get back to the manufacturer to do a better job of testing. I would think Amazon keeps track for returns and tries to reduce them.

I bought two from Amazon at different times and both are still working. So I was lucky .

Turbo3 said:
bluepassion said:
i need some advice, so ive downloaded the app on my iphone but it wont pick up the Konnwei OBD any suggestions where im going wrong :?:
iOS only supports Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters. The Konwei will not work. I recommend the LELink from Amazon.

For a Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapter to be detected by LeafSpy its ID must be "known".

The current "known" devices are:
OBDBLE (LELink)
Viecar
IOS-Vlink
Kiwi
IOS-HHOBD
Carista

Ones that don't work are: (don't support the necessary commands to communicate with a Leaf)
dnt OBD2
Autophix
ios Diagbox

I haven't been able to get Carista to work with my iPhone and leaf spy pro. At the US dealership, they were able to download leaf spy lite and it paired with my Carista module, however I can't download leaf spy lite from Canada apparently. And would prefer to make use of the leaf spy pro since I bought it!

Rwm said:
Turbo3 said:
bluepassion said:
i need some advice, so ive downloaded the app on my iphone but it wont pick up the Konnwei OBD any suggestions where im going wrong :?:
iOS only supports Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters. The Konwei will not work. I recommend the LELink from Amazon.

For a Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapter to be detected by LeafSpy its ID must be "known".

The current "known" devices are:
OBDBLE (LELink)
Viecar
IOS-Vlink
Kiwi
IOS-HHOBD
Carista

Ones that don't work are: (don't support the necessary commands to communicate with a Leaf)
dnt OBD2
Autophix
ios Diagbox

I haven't been able to get Carista to work with my iPhone and leaf spy pro. At the US dealership, they were able to download leaf spy lite and it paired with my Carista module, however I can't download leaf spy lite from Canada apparently. And would prefer to make use of the leaf spy pro since I bought it!
I think support for Carista is only in the test version for iOS and has not been released to everyone. Send me your email address and I will add you to the TestFlight group so you can use the Carista.

The Carista only works in Bluetooth 4.x LE when connected to an iOS device. When connected to an Android device is uses the old Bluetooth protocol (requires pairing). That is why the Carista works with the Android versions of LeafSpy.

I wonder if I might ask the group some questions. I'm a bit worried having just recorded data from LeafSpy Pro.

I have a 2016 Leaf with a 30 kw-hr battery pack and I just installed he LELink into its port on the car and downloaded and started LeafSpy Pro. I purchased the car exactly 5 months ago, have driven 2,380 miles . We charge mostly using a local (Chargepoint) 240 volt 6.6. kw charger, occasionally with our 120 Volt home plug, and have charged using a QuickCharger exactly 14 times.

We have driven EXCLUSIVELY in "Eco" mode (and I do mean, "exclusively"), and we have never driven faster than 65 miles per hour on the freeway. We have, however, done some hill climbing (up to a hiking spot about 5,000 feet above where we live, but on a gradual uphill climb on a paved road). The highest temperature I have ever seen on the battery is five bars, but that is an extreme. The usual temperature is 3 or 4 bars.

I get the following readings from LeafSpy Pro:

46.3% State of Charge (SOC)
AHr = 71.02
State of Health (SOH) = 89%, 359.5 Volts
Hx = 85.64%

LeafSpy Pro reports 14 Quick Charges (and I think that is right) but 72 (seventy-two) Level1/Level 2 charges. That latter figure simply can't be right. If it were, we'd have driven the car much more than 2,300 miles as we charge when the SOC gets down to around 30% or so. That would also mean that in 5 months (exactly) of ownership or about 150 days, we'd be charging every other day which is nowhere near the case.

Most worrisome is the SOH at 89%. That means we are about to lose a "bar" on the battery after less than 2,500 miles of what I think is very conservative driving. For what it is worth, our miles per kw-hr average has been 4.4 to 4.8 according to the Leaf CarWings site, and comports with the readout on the Leaf dashboard.

Because I read that charging at a QuickCharger to about 100% can level out the battery cell voltages, I just took the car to a nearby QuickCharger and Charged to 96%. There was no change at all in the State of Health at all. It remained at 89%

Questions:
1. Do I charge the car fully to 100% in order to determine the SOH of the battery pack?
2. If the SOH is really 89% (say, after charging to 100%), do I report this to Nissan?
3. Or, could all of this be due to either some error from the LELink or my stupidity in reading the LeafSpy Pro screens. I did set the Battery Size to 30kWh on the setting screen and chose the model year as 2016. Perhaps I missed some other critical setting.

Thanks.

PS: If there is a way to post images from LeafSpy on the forum, I'd be pleased to do so. Might someone instruct me as to how to do this? Perhaps from DropBox?

apzelic said:
I wonder if I might ask the group some questions. I'm a bit worried having just recorded data from LeafSpy Pro.

I have a 2016 Leaf with a 30 kw-hr battery pack and I just installed he LELink into its port on the car and downloaded and started LeafSpy Pro. I purchased the car exactly 5 months ago, have driven 2,380 miles . We charge mostly using a local (Chargepoint) 240 volt 6.6. kw charger, occasionally with our 120 Volt home plug, and have charged using a QuickCharger exactly 14 times.

We have driven EXCLUSIVELY in "Eco" mode (and I do mean, "exclusively"), and we have never driven faster than 65 miles per hour on the freeway. We have, however, done some hill climbing (up to a hiking spot about 5,000 feet above where we live, but on a gradual uphill climb on a paved road). The highest temperature I have ever seen on the battery is five bars, but that is an extreme. The usual temperature is 3 or 4 bars.

I get the following readings from LeafSpy Pro:

46.3% State of Charge (SOC)
AHr = 71.02
State of Health (SOH) = 89%, 359.5 Volts
Hx = 85.64%

LeafSpy Pro reports 14 Quick Charges (and I think that is right) but 72 (seventy-two) Level1/Level 2 charges. That latter figure simply can't be right. If it were, we'd have driven the car much more than 2,300 miles as we charge when the SOC gets down to around 30% or so. That would also mean that in 5 months (exactly) of ownership or about 150 days, we'd be charging every other day which is nowhere near the case.

Most worrisome is the SOH at 89%. That means we are about to lose a "bar" on the battery after less than 2,500 miles of what I think is very conservative driving. For what it is worth, our miles per kw-hr average has been 4.4 to 4.8 according to the Leaf CarWings site, and comports with the readout on the Leaf dashboard.

Because I read that charging at a QuickCharger to about 100% can level out the battery cell voltages, I just took the car to a nearby QuickCharger and Charged to 96%. There was no change at all in the State of Health at all. It remained at 89%

Questions:
1. Do I charge the car fully to 100% in order to determine the SOH of the battery pack?
2. If the SOH is really 89% (say, after charging to 100%), do I report this to Nissan?
3. Or, could all of this be due to either some error from the LELink or my stupidity in reading the LeafSpy Pro screens. I did set the Battery Size to 30kWh on the setting screen and chose the model year as 2016. Perhaps I missed some other critical setting.

Thanks.

PS: If there is a way to post images from LeafSpy on the forum, I'd be pleased to do so. Might someone instruct me as to how to do this? Perhaps from DropBox?

You should probably be posting this on the 8 bar battery thread.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19739&start=230

For question 1 you need feedback from people who have monitored SOH on new Leafs to see if it increases over time. It is conceivable that the BMS computer needs some time to determine the true SOH. I don't think anyone but Nissan engineers know what goes into calculating SOH.

For question 2 that is easy. No, Nissan service people know nothing about SOH and even if they did unless you have lost 4 bars within the warranty period nothing is going to be done about it.

If a lower starting SOH value really means you are going to have a shorter battery life it is not something Nissan is going to do anything about until you lose the 4th bar. However, if you did lose a bar within the first year you could try to get the service people to look into why. But bring up SOH is just going to confuse them. But if you have all 12 bars I think it very unlikely any Service person is going to care what you say. Bars are everything to them.

For question 3, no LELink is not going to affect the reading. The 30kWh setting is done automatically so should have already been set to 30 kWh. Even if it was wrong it only changes the % Gids reading and nothing else. SOH is read directly from the BMS computer so there should be nothing you can do to cause an bad value to be read. The fact that others are getting good SOH values on 2016 Leafs would seem to confirm that the location being read from the BMS is still a valid location for SOH. Nissan could certainly change the location with a firmware change but none seems to have happened so far.

To post an image you first need to upload it to the web. There are many sites that let you upload images. You then need to get a direct link to it from the site you uploaded it to. That link is what you copy to the thread on this site with the image tags around it. So you don't upload the image to ww.mynissanleaf.com but to a website that support image uploads.

My thanks for your detailed response.

One more item: I am absolutely certain that we have not done anywhere close to 72 charges at L1/L2. Does that suggest something odd about the battery? Might Nissan have installed a battery that had been charged dozens of times before it was installed in our 2016 Leaf?

apzelic said:

One more item: I am absolutely certain that we have not done anywhere close to 72 charges at L1/L2. Does that suggest something odd about the battery? Might Nissan have installed a battery that had been charged dozens of times before it was installed in our 2016 Leaf?
Do you use any timers? I think I've read that it can count 1 charge as 2, when you plug in and when the timer starts.

I'm up to 312 with 11,2XX miles now so 72 at 2,300 miles doesn't sound bad.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
apzelic said:

Do you use any timers? I think I've read that it can count 1 charge as 2, when you plug in and when the timer starts.

I'm up to 312 with 11,2XX miles now so 72 at 2,300 miles doesn't sound bad.

I agree. The charge count is probably right. Even if you didn't charge it yourself 72 times, you have no idea how many times it was plugged in at the dealer before you bought it. You shouldn't worry about the charge counts. The SOH number doesn't tell you much because it is all over the place. Just monitor it for a while. I have a 2015 with 17k miles and mine wanders. I've been as low as 89% and as high as 95% recently in the span of a week.

Do you have plans to make apps for all the other electric vehicles? It would be nice to have a
eGolf spy
Bolt spy
Smart car spy
Etc etc

Hi,

Just wanted to know if the LeafSpy Pro allows me to deactivate the tire-pressure warning on the dashboard? I have two sets of rims and the one with winter tires doesn't have the pressure sensors on them. I read that I can re-register the wheels after a tire-rotation, but I would like to temporarily deactivate them all together. Possible?

t.

I wonder if someone might take a look at the log I've recorded over the past month or so with the magic of LeafSpy Pro. It is at the following link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38764050/TripChrgLog_GC306282_69550B.csv

My concern in the SOH of the battery (as per previous postings). A bit of background regarding our new-ish 2016 Nissan Leaf:

- We took possession of the car on May 31st. The car was manufactured in January 2016 (according to the label on the inside of the driver's door)
- We always -- and I do mean "always" -- drive in Eco mode and have never seen the battery temp warmer than 5 bars (including after the occasional fast-charge on a longish trip). We have never driven faster than 66 mph (except perhaps briefly going downhill on the freeway).
- According to the CarWings website, our average miles per hw-hr over the past 6 months is about 4.7 or 4.8 mi/kw-hr.
- We have driven a total of 2,661 miles in 6 months (that's right, we only drive about 100 miles per week on average)
- We charge mostly at 240 volts @ 6.6kw (using a public charger), and have done 16 quick charges (though some were only a few kilowatts). Sometimes we use our 120 volt trickle charger (but as I've noted earlier, we certainly have not done a total of 80 L1/L2 charges (some must have been done at the dealership)
- When not being driven, the car spends all of its time in our garage. The temperature range in the garage over the past 6 months has been a high of about 90 degrees (in the midst of the summer) and a low of about 40 degrees (right about now).

So, I think we've treated the car gingerly.

What I'd like to know is: Is the trend in SOH (from 89% to 87%) indicative of a problem with the battery? For what it may be worth:

- when we do a 100% charge, there are still 12 bars on the Leaf's dashboard display
- LeafSpy Pro currently reports a State of Charge (SOC) about 5% less than what the dashboard display says. I don't now what that means either.

Many thanks for insights and advice.

I recently bought a 2013 Leaf, and am trying to get LeafSpy Pro set up on my ipad. If I select my OBDII wifi in the settings, within LeafSpy I never get to the Yellow stage of connecting. if I remove the OBD device and the iPad picks up the wifi from my house, it at least gets to Yellow (though no further because while the house network shows up in current SSID, the OBDII adapter is still listed with the device wifi name). Seems like I've done something wrong in setting for the device. Any advice?

Back