Nissan's e-Power Note series hybrid ICEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our only solice is that it will probably be the easiest hybrid car to modify into a phev.

If it truly gets north of 60mpg EPA that is worthwhile, the only other car like that was the original Honda Insight .

Best car I ever owned.

I don't see how the engine could not always or almost always be running (to keep the pack charged), removing one of the major pluses of driving a hybrid. Either that or the car will request that you let it keep running while parked...

LeftieBiker said:
I don't see how the engine could not always or almost always be running (to keep the pack charged)...
That depends on the available battery capacity, which is not exactly clear.

The statement that Note's battery pack is "one twentieth the size of that of a Nissan LEAF" doesn't seem correct, as shown by photos.

In any case, quick and cheap may sell.

Nissan's e-Power: Brutal G-Forces In A Mini MPV

...A hybrid used to require a lot of space in the cars, and a lot of money from the customer. Nissan shrunk the hybrid to the size of a regular engine, and it fits in the engine compartment of the Nissan Note, a Mini-MPV. Its battery is one twentieth the size of that of a Nissan LEAF, and it fits below the front seats without eating into the ample legroom of the rear passengers.

So what? The answer will be provided at a testdrive. When I took an e-powered Note on a quick spin through Yokohama this afternoon, a torquey 187.3 foot lbs electric motor delivered face-flattening-forces...

...The Note lists in Japan at 1,772,289 Yen [$17,155], proof that hybrid no longer equals expensive....
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2016/11/02/nissans-e-power-brutal-g-forces-in-a-mini-mpv/#3c835d1c7305

We might see a rash of reports of teenagers driving e-Power Notes through storefronts, just like the ones we've already seen from Tesla X and S drivers...

rmay635703 said:
Our only solice is that it will probably be the easiest hybrid car to modify into a phev.
True. Slapping 2 or 3 tesla modules into the trunk connected to HV bus via DC-DC converter will add 30 - 45 miles of electric range with only ~150 lbs of extra weight. This is much better technology to modify into EV compared to what Prius uses.

If it truly gets north of 60mpg EPA that is worthwhile, the only other car like that was the original Honda Insight ...
I have my doubts here. With electric conversion losses and the size of the car, it will barely get above 40 MPG on the highway. The city driving may see ~50 MPG based on what I can get in my Leaf coupled with realistic engine+generator efficiency.

The Prius PHEV can get 55-60MPG combined when not charged. If this info is all correct, then I guess the e-Power system uses a small pack for short bursts of power to accelerate, uses the ICE for highway driving, and the ICE then keeps working to recharge the pack at most of the times a Prius would shut the ICE off. I guess this would still allow for shutoff while stopped, but it must be a pretty delicate balancing act to keep the small pack charged and avoid demanding too much power from the ICE, which would make fuel economy drop. Not a car I'd want to drive up a mountain.

Seems Nissan has reversed the concept of the range extended EV. It now appears it is more of a "electra-glide" transmission in the true sense? Basically an ICE powered car with advantages of torque, regenerative braking, efficiency? of an electric motor/gen set. Is it possible the efficiency of a high voltage battery/motor/gen set is greater than an automatic tranny?

"Going up the mountain" is a really good question!

What is the best descriptor for this one - how about BS-ICE - Battery Supported - Internal Combustion Engine. With the emphasis on "BS"?

Who would have thought?

Nissan is trying to disguise the Micra as an EV.

https://electrek.co/2016/11/02/nissan-takes-a-step-backward-in-electrification-introduces-gas-powered-range-extender-without-plug/

From what we know now, I don't think the e-Power is any more (or less) than a series hybrid ICEV.

The video below shows battery discharge and both ICEV and regen charging, on the far right side of the dash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGDOpZDqtSM

It obviously maintains the battery charge in a narrow band, near ~80% (?) while you drive.

At ~21 minutes into this video, you can see the RPM efficiency range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zui1_LI-7Vg

So, the ICE apparently will run a higher % of total drive time than shown in the first video, when under higher sustained kW loads, but at the same ~optimum efficiency, at ~2,500 rpm.

I doubt it will have any problems climbing mountains, probably by drawing down battery capacity to lower levels than we saw in the first video, and maybe also by running the ICE at higher RPMs/lower efficiency than optimal on very long high-speed grades.

I would expect this serial design to exceed parallel hybrids which run their ICEs at less-efficient RPMs (and lower thermal efficiency) in city use, which is why it scores such high MPG in the slow speed/stop-and-go Japanese test cycle.

Whether e-Power will be able to ~ match parallel hybrids' MPG at American freeway speeds, will be interesting to see.

Major questions remaining:

What total/available battery capacity?

Is the fraction of available battery accessible under the driver's control?

Curb weight?

Just how quick is it?

If Nissan can sell an e-power that accelerates ~ as fast as a Bolt or Tesla 3, at about half the list price, it might be very tempting to those who want to buy BEVs primarily for their from-the-stoplight performance.

Still vaporware in the us and rated below gen Iv Prius .

Likely never see our shores but a $5000 maroon savings over a Prius c despite lower freeway may make it another econobox offering

edatoakrun said:
...Just how quick is it?

If Nissan can sell an e-power that accelerates ~ as fast as a Bolt or Tesla 3, at about half the list price, it might be very tempting to those who want to buy BEVs primarily for their from-the-stoplight performance.

Perhaps a hint of how the E-power will be marketed.

Nissan already has a (hard to look at, if you ask me) NISMO version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2JwEPriNM0

edatoakrun said:
From what we know now, I don't think the e-Power is any more (or less) than a series hybrid ICEV...

Curb weight?

Just how quick is it?

One question answered, and and 58KW figure suggests the ICE generator is allowed to run at higher (above optimum efficiency) RPM during acceleration or large ascents.

..According to data available in Japan (not official in Europe) the petrol engine is a 58kW three-cylinder 1.2l that provides electricity to a 80 kW and 254 nm electric motor.
The weight of the Nissan Note e-Power is the same as a conventional compact car with 1220kg, the Japanese JC08 fuel consumption test cycle show 34km/l or 2.9L / 100km
The Nissan Note e-Power for now only available in Japan, however, this technology is expected to arrive in Europe soon as part of the brand’s electrification strategy, this car is presented as a “gateway to electric cars”! Its price starts at the equivalent of € 15,456 locally (1.772.280JPY) for the base version "S"...
https://www.technologicvehicles.com/en/green-transportation-news/3133/video-nissan-se-lance-sur-l-hybride-en-serie-note-e-power-fiche-technique-et-conso#.WCCqZGsrKUk

pulse and glide is an optimum way to minimize fuel economy

petrol engines like to be wide open throttle for efficiency

higher power from a petrol engine is a way improve its fuel economy, diesel don't have that problem.

I couldn't get through the video because the guy won't shut up, won't stop saying "insane!" and apparently thinks this is Nissan's first hybrid car. I did get that he thinks it has a lot of interior space, a fair amount of power, and about 850 miles of range.

The paid hype engine is in overdrive for this car.

Too much hype can make a good product fail.

Should make avoid daily driver city but likely will never be sold here anyway

Apparently, the E-Powered Nissan Note gets the incredible efficiency Nissan claims in city traffic:

Automotive News Reporter Gets 88 MPG In New E-Powered Nissan Note

Test-driving the Nissan Note equipped with the new e-Power technology yesterday, the jaws of Automotive News’ Asia-correspondent Hans Greimel dropped when the in-dash display showed 37.5 kilometers per liter...

Plugged into the handy Google converter, 37.5 kilometers per liter translate to roughly 88 miles per gallon. Of course, this real-life measurement has no relationship to what an official EPA rating would be, and a source at Nissan’s Yokohama HQ quipped that Greimel’s mileage would “exceed even the generous Japanese testing cycle.” Not by far, though. Nissan lists the official, JC08-sanctioned gasoline consumption of the e-Power Note at 37.2 kilometers per liter, which would come out to 87.5 miles per gallon...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2016/11/11/automotive-news-reporter-gets-88-mpg-in-new-e-powered-nissan-note/#14463b85493c

Still waiting for a road test showing freeway speed mpg.

edatoakrun said:
From what we know now, I don't think the e-Power is any more (or less) than a series hybrid ICEV.

The video below shows battery discharge and both ICEV and regen charging, on the far right side of the dash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGDOpZDqtSM

It obviously maintains the battery charge in a narrow band, near ~80% (?) while you drive.

At ~21 minutes into this video, you can see the RPM efficiency range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zui1_LI-7Vg

So, the ICE apparently will run a higher % of total drive time than shown in the first video, when under higher sustained kW loads, but at the same ~optimum efficiency, at ~2,500 rpm.

I doubt it will have any problems climbing mountains, probably by drawing down battery capacity to lower levels than we saw in the first video, and maybe also by running the ICE at higher RPMs/lower efficiency than optimal on very long high-speed grades.

I would expect this serial design to exceed parallel hybrids which run their ICEs at less-efficient RPMs (and lower thermal efficiency) in city use, which is why it scores such high MPG in the slow speed/stop-and-go Japanese test cycle.

Whether e-Power will be able to ~ match parallel hybrids' MPG at American freeway speeds, will be interesting to see.

Curb weight?

Just how quick is it?

Whatever you want to call it, it sells in Japan:

In A Surprise Upset, Nissan's e-Powered Note Tops Japan's Charts

Powered by a simple, but stunningly effective series hybrid called e-power, Nissan’s lowly Note MPV has upset Japan’s usually Toyota-dominated sales charts. In January, Nissan’s Note became Japan’s best-selling car, a title usually monopolized by Toyota’s Prius. To make the blamage extra painful: Place two was taken by Nissan’s semi-autonomous Serena Minivan.

...some 42,000 Nissan Notes were sold, Nissan’s spokesman Nic Maxfield told me today, adding that “e-Power accounts for roughly 70% of sales so far.” The trick seems to be to convince customers to test drive the e-powered Note, Nissan folk told me. Once people sat in the surprisingly agile and at the same time astoundingly fuel-thrifty car, they usually sign at the bottom line...

The surprisingly successful power-train is available in Japan only, but successful as it is, it most likely will travel abroad real soon now.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2017/02/06/in-a-surprise-upset-nissans-e-powered-note-tops-japans-charts/#1514849723d3

Good news in that by increasing production numbers of the common BEV drivetrain, it should help Nissan bring down costs for all future BEVs, and...

Any one else interested in a semi-autonomous Nissan truck or SUV equipped with e-Power and a ~30 kWh battery pack?

LeftieBiker said:
petrol engines like to be wide open throttle for efficiency

No, they are usually most efficient somewhere in the midrange. You are confusing maximum power with maximum fuel conversion efficiency.
You are both right. 70-90% throttle is most efficient. At an rpm just below the torque peak.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/bsfc-chart-thread-post-em-if-you-got-1466.html

The Note is still outselling the Prius:

Safer and lower emission cars boosted Nissan sales in Japan

...in the first quarter of the year, the Nissan Note jumped from 5th to first place – beating the Toyota Prius – and the Nissan Serena went from 10th to 5th – not very distant from the 4th.

Truth to be said, both the e-Power system and the ProPILOT technology are just small steps in the right direction of a zero-emissions, zero-fatality mobility....
http://pushevs.com/2017/05/01/safer-lower-emission-cars-boosted-nissan-sales-japan/

edatoakrun said:
...Any one else interested in a semi-autonomous Nissan truck or SUV equipped with e-Power and a ~30 kWh battery pack?
I want a 4wd truck, no need for an on-board charger.

Back