SoCal LEAF & EV Gathering, Y7 - Finished - 19 Aug 2017

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outstanding trip report, tbleakne, as yours always are. Enjoyed reading it and accompanying you vicariously.

Here is a link to the report from Motor Trend about the Chevy Bolt EV and the impressions of the car to Tesla drivers. This is the meet up that you (tbleakne) invited me to in September, a meet up of the So Cal Tesla club with the folks from Motor Trend with their pre-production Bolt EV that they had for testing.

Tbleakne and I can be seen in the photos and quoted in some of the text.

I was quite impressed with the Bolt EV and I commented that I thought that it could meet most of my needs, but that I would prefer a Tesla for driving trips by virtue of its access to the Supercharger network.

Again, tbleakne, thank you for inviting me to that meetup.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/what-tesla-owners-think-about-chevrolet-bolt

Our next SoCal EV Gathering is Nov 5th (slightly less than 4 days),
at the Golden Corral in the City of Industry. Located just South
of freeway 60, and about 4 miles West of the 60/57 intersection,
the GC opens for breakfast at 7:30. We usually arrive at 8 AM and
set up tables for 14 in the SW corner of the Group Meeting room.

Glenn, Thanks.
Tom, great trip.

Show-n-Tell items are always welcome.
Hopefully, Phil and I will CU there at 8.

Denny, driving a red Tesla S60 from OC should be joining us.
Raul, Colleen, and Jasmine (7 weeks old) might join us in their black Tesla.

On Nov 5th, we had 3 first-timers, one driving a shiny new red Tesla S60, and the other wanting advice on buying a 2013 LEAF with 35,000 miles and a $7500 price tag. Sounded like a good deal, and we suggested Leaf-Spy, questions to ask, and what to look for.

I had a very good time at the Golden Corral, and I even brought a little jar of peanut butter with me. However, somewhat conservatively, I did not eat the pancakes, waffles, or the french toast, so I did not need to open it. I will not need it at Hometown Buffet.

Our next Gathering is on November 19, 2016, at the Hometown Buffet in Santa Ana.

It looks like the next 3 months of Gatherings are all on the 1st Saturday of the month for the Golden Corral in the City of Industry, and the 3rd Saturday of the month for the Hometown Buffet in Santa Ana. Thus, we gracefully skip the Christmas and New Year's weekends, where people with a real life would likely be very busy.

So, the 3rd and 17th in December, the 7th and 21st in January 2017, and the 4th and 18th of February, 2017. This thread's first post has the details.

Amazing, it is almost 2017 already. With the Tesla damage and the bathroom renovation, this year has seemed stressful to me. Thanks to you all for your continued support, and for my continued training in kind and proper humanoid ways.

Mindy explained the word "reality" to Mork, and he excitedly exclaimed "What a Concept!". Gratefully, I have all of you to help me understand your concepts.
My deepest Thanks, to you all. It makes my passage easier, and more full of joy.

Our next Gathering is this coming Saturday, November 19th, at
the Hometown Buffet in Santa Ana. They open for breakfast at 8 AM.

Located just 2 blocks East of the I-5 freeway, on 17th street, access is easy.
If you need help getting there, let us know so that we can try to arrange help.

This time of year, many folks are busy with family or other activities, so
several of our "regulars" will be absent. If you are coming, consider
bringing an interested friend or young person to a breakfast treat.

The following Gathering is at the Golden Corral in the City of Industry,
located about 4 miles West of the 57 & 60 freeway interchange.

The GC opens for breakfast at 7:30, but our "start" time is 8 AM, when I plan to
arrive and set up a table for us in the Group Meeting room.

I arrived late, at 8:03, but it appeared that HTB was just unlocking their doors.
We had a great Gathering, with 12 bodies, including 3 ladies. Brian wanted to
attend, but he is working on building up his strength and ability to maneuver
with just one leg ... a substantial challenge. Hopefully he will be up to having
visitations and arranging rides to various events ... before too long. But, this
whole process has been a huge physical, mental, emotional, and psychological
shock to his system. Hopefully, we can help lead him back into the light, and
help him find some much-needed joy. Brian, we love you, and your dad has
my phone number when you are strong enough to call.

The next Gathering is the first Saturday in December, the 3rd, and we can
help with transportation, if anybody (hint, hint) needs a "lift" to get to the GC.

Sincerely, Gary

The last two Gatherings of 2016:

Gathering #76a: 3 Dec 2016 at Golden Corral in City of Industry for breakfast.
Gathering #76b: 17 Dec 2016 at the HTB on 17th in Santa Ana for breakfast.

Everybody, please try and have a good Thanksgiving week.
If you need or want anything, please let me / us know.
Without the chance to give, there is less ThanksGiving.

I thank you all for your continued support.
Cheers, Gary, Nancy, and Heidi

Next Gathering, December 3rd, one week from today, at the Golden Corral
in the City of Industry. I plan to be there just before 8 AM to set up tables
in the Meeting Room (in the SW corner of the GC building).

Reminder: December 3rd is this coming Saturday, for our next to the last
EV Gathering of 2016. Then, two weeks later, on the 17th, we will
have the last 2016 Gathering, at the Hometown Buffet in Santa Ana.

After that, we wait 3 weeks instead of two, to pass-over the two holiday
weekends, for our first Gathering in January, 2017. The first post of
this thread has more details of the upcoming Gatherings.

I wish a Happy and Joyful holiday season to all of you.

Looking forward to meeting in Santa Ana on the 17th.

Today two good things:
1. My urologist removed the stent he had inserted after my surgery to zap the large kidney stone, and suddenly my bleeding and discomfort stopped. Followup at end of January after another test to evaluate diet. I meantime I can eat normally.

2. My electrician Quintin finished all the electrical on my solar project yesterday, and today the system passed Final Inspection with Claremont. I still have to email a photo of the signed job card to SCE and wait for PTO, and I am going to paint the conduit on the roof before applying the warning stickers, but basically the many months of design, anguish, redesign, procurement,, and installation are over, It looks good.

On Saturday I am bringing the remaining wire on three 500-ft spools of Red, Black, and Green #10 cable to transfer to Robert for his projects with Mike and others.

Saturday is also E-Waste day at LA County Fairplex in La Verne. 9am to 3pm. I intend to stop there on way home. I will have some true e-waste in my car, such as a dead hard drive, dead meter, etc. You are welcome to bring a modest amount of other e-waste for me to take there as well.

I will also have to give away some nice quality assortment of premium audio cables, video cables, 14-50 outlet with enclosure, and other stuff for you folks to look over in case you want any of it. It is just taking up too much space and I have no foreseeable need for it.

Hilda and I will be there! but unfortunately not in the new white chariot :cry: Still 3 days because of snow and rain delays with the shipper but it's getting closer!!

:D :cool:

See you all tomorrow!

Holiday greetings to all.
Cool video made local news:

In the video below, the camera is in a Model X. With the new tweak in its radar introduced this fall, the Model X is able to see a sudden slowing of car #1 beyond the car #2 immediately in front of the Model X. The Model X sounds its emergency alarm, and automatically applies its emergency braking before car #2 responds. The response of car #2 is too slow to prevent the crash, but the Model X avoids both cars.

Suggest you blow the video up to full screen to watch it.

(Edited to fix link)

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/28/tesla-autopilot-predicts-crash/

17 Dec was a well-attended Gathering in Santa Ana. Sorry i did not get
the thread title changed in a timely fashion. I have been busy taking care
of my wife, who managed to flip herself onto the ground and aggrivate her
back ... and getting double-pane vinyl windows and doors installed.

Next meeting is January 7th at the GC in COI, skipping the Christmas
and New Year weekends.

Tom ... a real life Tesla saving someone from a crash. wow!
But no usable link to the video. :(

Hi folks,

Sorry I was unable to attend breakfast this morning, Jan 21, in Santa Ana. Karen and I had a full day attending the Women's March in 3 locations, with my estimates of attendance: Pasadena, 1200; downtown Los Angeles, 200K; Santa Ana, 800.
My sign read:
"Climate Science, NOT Denial"
It was great to be part of a world-wide event.

Lots of other clever signs, many which I can't repeat here.

Back