NRG eVgo in New England

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Not NRG, but a CHAdeMO has finally open in Brattleboro VT, and it's free. City parking lot rates apply. Thanks Green Mountain Power!

That is good news for sure. GMP has done a great job with L3 in Vermont.
I second the Thanks!!!

There is another new eVgo DC off exit 7 on VT interstate 89. Right off the highway. Berlin, VT ( near Barre/Montpelier).
Here is the PlugShare link: https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/96794

I've just recently broken down and started to use the eVgo network. The cost really seems over the top. There needs to be some way to extend the charging time past 30 minutes. At least let me get to 80% before shutting off. Also would appreciate text summaries when charging stops. Like "Chargepoint's KWh total" message.

Yesterday when it was in the single digits and the charging was very slow, I returned to the car at Hannafords in York ME after shopping for 20 min to find it shut off. It had charged for just 2 minutes. Started again and ran for 30 min while I waited. Ended at 73% barely enough to get to S.Portland with just minimum heat.

I joined eVgo mainly for my occasional trips south from Mid-coast ME. Had been taking a nap at the L2 at Port City Nissan in Portsmouth (nothing much close by there to walk to). But now stop at Hannafords in York ME and grab something to eat while I charge.
A Chademo at Port City would be great. We need more people driving electric to drum up the competition.

As for eVgo being expensive. Yes, compared to all the other options for charging ( L1 and L2). I think all the fast charge networks are not cheap. I hit a Chargepoint uint a week ago and it was $5.95 flat for the session even though I was only there 10 min. I use eVgo's On-The-Go https://www.evgo.com/charging-plans/. There is a flat monthly fee ( $14.95) and DC is 10¢/ min and L2 is $1/ hour.
This pays off if you use DC more than a couple of times per month. You can also do a short session which would otherwise cost $5+. It helps in the situation you were in where it was too cold to charge properly. This happened to me a couple of days ago too. Charged for a few minutes then stopped. I just restarted the session and it went fine but yes, way slower than usual. I think if your battery is 3 bars temp or below it can't take the fast input. Once the battery warms up a bit it seems better. The charge unit is at Hannaford in Williston,VT which is totally open the the NW wind blast. Hard to tell how these units are affected by that. When I charged again near home to raise my percentage a bit I got an error but It was just the plug not being in well enough. That big plug is very stiff in the cold and is hard to line up and seat well I noticed.

So it looks like we have to plan for longer travel times in the cold.

This is my first winter with my Leaf so I'm in discovery mode. I have a 2016 with the new battery so mine is more forgiving. We will see how things go over time. I have a 67mile/day commute and so far the car will cover that ( just, LBW 6 miles from home) with a full charge and minimal heat even at 0ºF. That means in a few years I will have to charge at work on the really cold days. I can do that which is good.

Hopefully the future will bring greater density of DC chargers so there are more options with less distance between them.

Have a great day!

Back