An EV Bibliography

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added the following to the list:

"Electric Vehicle Integration into Modern Power Networks"; Garcia-Valle, Rodrigo, and Pecas Lopes, Joao, ed.; 2013. This is a collection of articles by various, mostly European authors on different aspects of the subject. Articles range from the fairly non-technical to ones filled with formulas. The fact that English is a second language for many of the authors means some of the articles have awkward syntax, a minor irritation. Beyond the needs of the average owner, but there's some good descriptions of the differences between current Li-ion battery chemistries, what kinds of communications will be necessary for Smart charging, different types of infrastructure needs, forecast demand curves for 5 different EU countries with various levels of EV penetration as of 2030, etc., if you're curious about this sort of thing.

"Annual Evaluation of Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Deployment and Hydrogen Fuel Station Network Development"; California Air Resources Board; 2014. Has details of current and planned stations, where they're located and why, projections of FCEV sales out to 2020, projected H2 demand, station coverage and capacities, operating requirements, etc.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/ab8/ab8_report_final_june2014.pdf

"The Hydrogen Transition"; Ogden, Joan; Yang, Christopher; Nicholas, Michael; Fulton, Lew; 2014.
Describes where we currently are, what steps will be needed to make the transition, projections of costs to do so, H2 and FCEVs prices and curves, comparisons with other AFV technology costs and timelines etc., how much money various states, countries and regions are spending to develop FCEVs and H2 infrastructure, etc. http://steps.ucdavis.edu/files/08-13-2014-08-13-2014-NextSTEPS-White-Paper-Hydrogen-Transition-7.29.2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Crabgrass Frontier: The Suburbanization of the United States"; Jackson, Kenneth T; 1985. An academic history of how and why we became suburbanized and car-dependent. This is a general overview, and there are many histories that look at specific cities or regions, such as "Streetcar Suburbs: The Process of Growth in Boston, 1870-1900"; by Sam Bass Warner, Jr.; 1978; and "Los Angeles and the Automobile: The Making of the Modern City" by Scott L. Bottles; 1991, just to name two. See the next entry for attempts to reverse this trend.

"Happy City: Transforming Our Lives Through Urban Design"; Montgomery, Charles; 2013. Although the term isn't used until quite late in the book, this book essentially explains and gives examples of 'New Urbanism' as it has been applied in various cities around the world. For a definition of New Urbanism, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Urbanism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Added the following to the list on the first post:

"Traffic: Why We Drive The Way We Do (And What It Says About Us)"; Vanderbilt, Tom; 2008. Rather than write my own synopsis, here's an excerpt from the book's home page: "Would you be surprised that road rage can be good for society? Or that most crashes happen on sunny, dry days? That our minds can trick us into thinking the next lane is moving faster? Or that you can gauge a nation’s driving behavior by its levels of corruption? These are only a few of the remarkable dynamics that Tom Vanderbilt explores in this fascinating tour through the mysteries of the road." Great stuff, and very accessible. http://tomvanderbilt.com/traffic/the-book/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Walk Score"; http://www.walkscore.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Rates addresses in terms of walkability, i.e. time/distance to shops, services, schools, parks etc., and calculates commute times via foot, bike, bus, transit and car. Not perfect but often tweaked to improve it, and now widely used in real estate listings. My home address has a walkability score of 88 out of 100 ("Very Walkable"), although a short half block away it would rate a 98 ("Walker's Paradise"). What's yours? Also has Android and IOS apps. Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_Score" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Been a while since I saw anything worth adding to the list on the first post of the thread, so here you go:

"The Powerhouse: Inside the Invention of a Battery to Save the World"; Levine, Steve; 2015. Levine followed and broke the story of Envia and GM, and this book is mostly an expansion of that article which he wrote for "Quartz". He was granted access to Argonne National Labs for a considerable period of time, and the book details the development of NMC chemistry by Michael Thackeray at Argonne and others, as well as the Envia debacle and related issues. This book is a good follow on to Seth Fletcher's "Bottled Lightning". Inevitably, it covers much of the same ground for the early development of Lithium batteries, and Stan Whittingham and John Goodenough are prominent in both books. A patent lawsuit has just been filed by BASF and Argonne accusing another industrial group of violating the Argonne NMC patent, so this book couldn't be more timely.

mbender said:
Not solely about EVs, and I haven't read it (yet), but how about Tony Seba's

Might the titles of chapters 3, 4 and 7 qualify it to make the list? :)

• Chapter 3: THE ELECTRIC VEHICLE DISRUPTION
  • Chapter 4: THE AUTONOMOUS (SELF-DRIVING) CAR DISRUPTION
  • Chapter 7: THE END OF OIL
I'll have to check it out, but won't list it before reading it (or someone else does and writes a review). I recently decided not to add a book that covered green energy development in various countries despite its inclusion of a chapter specifically on EVs. The latter was somewhat out of date as well as being a bit too imbued with the "EVs are here, and they'll obviously take over the world in a few years" attitude that was prevalent here in the early days. The book was a collection of articles by various authors, and although published last year most of the data dated from no later than 2012.

The title of the book above seems to imply much the same 'inevitability of EVs' approach, and people should know by now that very little is inevitable as regards timing.

Added the following to the list in the first post:

"Effective Speeds: Car Costs are Slowing us Down"; Tranter, Paul J; 2004. From paper: " Effective speed can be calculated using the formula:
“Speed = distance divided by time”, where distance is the total kilometres traveled, and time is the total time devoted to the mode of transport (including the time spent at work to earn the money to pay all the costs created by the particular mode of transport)." This includes the cost to purchase as well as operating, maintenance insurance etc. costs. The results may surprise you. http://archive.oxha.org/knowledge/publications/Tranter_effectivespeeds.pdf

"Online TDM Encyclopedia"; Victoria Transport Policy Institute; 2015-; "What is the Online TDM Encyclopedia? The Online TDM Encyclopedia is the world’s most comprehensive information resource concerning innovative transportation management strategies. It describes dozens of Transportation Demand Management (TDM) strategies and contains information on TDM planning, evaluation and implementation. It has thousands of hyperlinks that provide instant access to more detailed information, including case studies and reference documents. The Encyclopedia has an international perspective, with ideas and examples from all over the world, including both developed and developing countries. The Encyclopedia is created and maintained by the Victoria Transport Policy Institute (VTPI), an independent research organization located in Victoria, British Columbia." http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm12.htm

Added the following to the first post:

"2015 Annual Evaluation of Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Deployment and Hydrogen Fuel Station Network Development"; California Air Resources Board; 2015. As above, one year later. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/ab8/ab8_report_2015.pdf

"Fuel Cell Technical Team Roadmap"; U.S. Drive; 2013. Details DoE fuel cell stack performance and cost goals for 2020, as well as the state of the art ca. June 2013. http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/02/f8/fctt_roadmap_june2013.pdf

Added the following to the list in the initial post, and rearranged things to give H2/Fuel cells their own section:

"Hydrogen Fueling Stations Infrastructure"; Qin, Nan et al; 2014. Discusses different means of making H2, different types of transport, storage, dispensing, codes and standards, cost estimates, etc. http://evtc.fsec.ucf.edu/reports/EVTC-RR-02-14.pdf

"Dispersion of permeated hydrogen in residential garages and assessment of explosion hazard for small leaks"; Saffers, J-B., Makarov, D., and Molkov, V.; 2010. Report of controlled test which essentially shows that there is no way for H2 from a leaking auto fuel tank to build up to either flammable or explosive concentrations in a typical garage, even under highly favorable (realistically impossible) conditions. https://www.engineering.leeds.ac.uk.../19.1 - 175 JBSAFFERS ISFEH 100411 1030am.pdf

2016 Annual Evaluation of Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Deployment and Hydrogen Fuel Station Network Development; California Air Resources Board; 2016.
Online at http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/ab8/ab8_report_2016.pdf

I've also added a new category titled "Beyond the Car: New Urbanism, Smart Growth, Public Transit, etc.", and moved some other listings into it.

"Street Fight: Handbook for an Urban Revolution"; Sadik-Khan, Janette, and Solomonow, Seth; 2015. Written by the former (2007-2013) transportation commissioner of New York City under Michael Bloomberg and her PR person in that post, the book details the steps taken over that period to redesign New York City's streets to better serve pedestrians, bike riders and transit users while also improving traffic flow and safety. A real-world 'Complete Streets' how-to manual for reclaiming asphalt from cars, adding public plazas (including closing Broadway between Times and Herald Squares to cars), bike and bus lanes, bike share, pedestrian safety improvements, etc. it also details the pushbacks and often over-the-top claims of opponents of various aspects of the moves, and how that affected the plans. She also describes similar efforts in other cities around the world, both those that she borrowed ideas from, and others where she's consulted since leaving her post. Sadik-Khan says she had a sign over her desk during her tenure that read "To plan is human, to implement, divine," and she managed to implement more change to the physical fabric of NYC in a shorter period of time than anyone since Robert Moses.

"Consumer Views on Plug-in Electric Vehicles – National Benchmark Report"; Singer, Mark; 1/2016. NREL survey of vehicle purchasing behaviors, PEV awareness, PEV acceptance and barriers to same, for the U.S. Online at http://www.afdc.energy.gov/uploads/publication/consumer_views_pev_benchmark.pdf

"Feasibility of the SF-BREEZE: a Zero-Emission, Hydrogen Fuel Cell, High-Speed Passenger Ferry"; Pratt, Joseph W., and Klebanoff, Leonard E.; 9/2016. A detailed Sandia Labs assessment of the technical issues and design tradeoffs of the ship, assorted H2 fuel storage methods, and fueling infrastructure, showing costings, gravimetric and volumetric energy densities of various types of power plant including a BEV and diesel, GHG and other emissions. Downloadable pdf via the link at the end of this article: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/10/20161006-sandia.html

It isn't specifically on EVs, just why people should be driving them.

The Oil Kings: How the U.S., Iran, and Saudi Arabia Changed the Balance of Power in the Middle East. Written by Andrew Scott Cooper in 2012.

It has been the greatest transfer of wealth from one country (the U.S. of course) to others in world history.

Definitely interesting reading, and I usually like reading only WWII books. I got it from my local library, but it is available online too.

I still can't figure out why Duke Energy and the others who just spent $22 million or more trying to keep PV solar away from individuals (Florida Amendment 1 which was recently defeated) aren't jumping at the opportunity to convert people to EVs.

sub3marathonman said:

The Oil Kings: How the U.S., Iran, and Saudi Arabia Changed the Balance of Power in the Middle East. Written by Andrew Scott Cooper in 2012.

It has been the greatest transfer of wealth from one country (the U.S. of course) to others in world history.

Definitely interesting reading, and I usually like reading only WWII books. I got it from my local library, but it is available online too.

I still can't figure out why Duke Energy and the others who just spent $22 million or more trying to keep PV solar away from individuals (Florida Amendment 1 which was recently defeated) aren't jumping at the opportunity to convert people to EVs.
I'll be happy to add it in the 'related' section. Do you want me to use the first two sentences as your review, or would you like to write a somewhat longer one going into a little more detail? Alternatively, I can use a review from amazon etc.

GRA said:
sub3marathonman said:

I'll be happy to add it in the 'related' section. Do you want me to use the first two sentences as your review, or would you like to write a somewhat longer one going into a little more detail? Alternatively, I can use a review from amazon etc.

Wow, it would be great if I could contribute! And thanks to your efforts too.

I'll say:

The Oil Kings explains the secret agreements between the U.S. government, specifically then-President Nixon and then-Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, and Iran and Saudi Arabia in the 1970's. These policies have contributed to the greatest transfer of wealth from one country (the U.S. of course) to others in world history, and the book helps people realize how the U.S. arrived at the position, some would say predicament, it is in now.

GRA said:
let me know if everything's how you want it to be.

It sounds great, thanks so much.

I'm hoping if people read it they might follow-up with a comment here too.

Once again GRA, thanks for your efforts in maintaining this list.

sub3marathonman said:
GRA said:
let me know if everything's how you want it to be.

It sounds great, thanks so much.

I'm hoping if people read it they might follow-up with a comment here too.

Once again GRA, thanks for your efforts in maintaining this list.
You're welcome. I was surprised way back when that there wasn't one here already, so figured I might as well start one.

Back