Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
You may want to try to get a lower down payment with a higher monthly payment, for the same total. It's safer that way.
probably not as good a deal that way. he is at $212 a month

$3000 is a lot to risk losing if the car is totaled.

no doubt. check with your insurance company on pay out options. they might be able to help with that. I am guessing that with any dealership, all the terms are negotiable to a point. So maybe it could have been changed.

When I went with my lease search, I sent out queries to 9 dealerships. Actually only wanted to send out 3 but went thru an employee purchase site to submit my proposals and I was not able to pick dealers. they picked 3 based on the zip code entered. So it took me a while to figure out how to get a proposal to the dealer I wanted who was 83 miles away. During all this time I was hitting the back button thinking I was starting over but as some as I typed my target zip code in, the request for a discount code was sent. Needless to say, my inbox was pretty busy that morning. But my request stated I would be doing business only if 90% of the negotiating could be done electronically and for zero down.

out of the 9, only one responded initially with my request and that is where I went.

sunil said:
Got the following offer for a 2016 SV (no packages). 2999 drive-off (Down payment & taxes and first months payment included)
155/month & taxes monthly (don't have the number with monthly taxes but I estimate 175)
So total will be roughly 9100 (this is San Jose CA)
What is the residual if you wanted to buy it at the end?

I have not even asked about the residual. In 3 years, I see no chance I will want an EV with just 107 miles range.

Actually I am still not completely sure I want it now. Still half-hoping somebody will make me a fantastic deal to just keep my 2013 SV (so far best I am getting is 9440 = 4500 off buyout, but way too high). And still half-thinking about a Chevy Volt.

It will be decision time on Black Friday !

rmay635703 said:
I have an 812 credit score, my desire to sit on my ass a full day in an out of state dealership, have them change terms, try to add on crapola and then end up paying an out of state entity each month I s minimal. (Wisconsin is not a place to buy an ev)
Every car I have ever owned was bought from at least 150 miles away.

Just cause I get zero percent does not motivate me, in fact taking zero percentage loans increase load and decrease your credit score over time. I rather get the cash discount up front then earn 1% for a while.

My main frustration is that the discount is tied to some form of financing, it used to be cash talked and you could just do a quick clean sale, spending a full day filling out paperwork ruins it for me.

My only solice is that I don't buy a car often.

For obvious reasons; most of the posts here talk about leasing but not everyone wants to or has other scenarios -- mine included as was 'm635703'. As I'm waiting for a '15 VW e-Golf to be shipped to the Midwest for me (looks pristine, just over 1K miles, priced at $18K + shipping) I thought I'd give the new LEAF's one last look; having a few extra miles of range would be a bonus and many of the '16 LEAF S models are coming with the 30 kWh packs (easy to spot as they list them as S30's now); I'm also a bit confused on the $4K NMAC financing incentive; you get $4K off by financing with them at 0% interest ??? One dealer said that I'll only need to make 4 payments and then can simply pay the balance --- I don't see how this makes ANY sense to Nissan?

Still getting quotes but this one seemed OK -- Model S w/QC and a few other features (splash guards, holographic kick panels, etc.) MSRP $33,825 (includes dest. charge) -- discount down to $23,160 but that includes that odd combo NMAC incentive. As its new, I would get the $7,500 Fed Tax Credit but paying added IL sales tax, etc. so perhaps $1,500 less after my trade-in, etc. than the e-Golf. I would really like the few extra features that come with the SV level (as well as the bigger info screen, etc.) but so far have only seen MSRP of $35,476 and discount to $29,076 which would be more than I'm willing to pay.

The LEAF would be my 'stop gap' EV until the Tesla Model 3's are available -- so looking at at least 2 years possibly 2 1/2 but we'll see; all EV's depreciation levels (except Tesla) will continue to increase until some cross the 200 mile range IMO but the market will determine that.

So, has anyone opted for that NMAC finance discount and what was the outcome -- do you feel OK with your decision and/or are there things you need to watch out for? Also, what other examples of '16 SV sales and not leases have people seen?

Sadly (but not unexpected) my '12 LEAF SL w/45K miles is only worth $5K in trade; buying versus leasing gives me more options although many have said simply do a 3 year lease and avoid the 'early' Model 3's so I'll be crunching a few numbers on that as well.

rmay635703 said:
So, has anyone opted for that NMAC finance discount and what was the outcome -- do you feel OK with your decision and/or are there things you need to watch out for? Also, what other examples of '16 SV sales and not leases have people seen?

We bought two '16 SV models in May 2016, both using the at-the-time NMAC financing promotion of 0% / 72 months and $4,000 cash back. I don't normally finance, but 0% with (or without) cash back is money I can put to better use elsewhere. So long as there is no early-payoff fee, who cares. The only reason to pay it off early would be to free up credit for something else, sell the car, or to reduce insurance requirements (seasonal storage, etc).

As far as the deal, we bought two 2016 SV models. After all discounts, incentives, tax exemptions, and tax credits, the out-of-pocket for each vehicle is about $20K. That was in May. You could probably do better, now. I followed the Fighting Chance car buying method to get competitive bids from a number of dealers near the end of May. It worked very well and the actual purchase process was all of about 90 minutes of signing papers at the winning dealer. It was the most fun and least stressful purchase of a car I ever experienced.

I did seriously consider leasing, and I know that has worked out very, very well for a lot of people here. As with purchases, NMAC also helps move cars with leasing deals. The thing that turned me off from leasing is my own control-freak nature. I like to sometimes modify my cars, and I have enough important dates on my calendar that I don't need yet another "time to start looking for another car" date ticking away. I envisioned using the LEAF for occasional Home Depot runs, and if I leased, I'd be worried about gashing the interior with a 2x4, etc. Then there's the game at the end of whether there are any incentives for buy-out. I also have a habit of keeping my cars 10 years, greatly reducing my TCO.

Hope that helps!

A friend just sent me this Mother of all discounts info, for Sonoma County CA residents.

If I read it right, looks like if you live there and qualify for all the low-income discounts (not that low, BTW) you might be able to buy a new LEAF SL for close to $5k, or net well over $5k of profit to just lease one.

BMW i3 deals there also.

..Who is eligible?
The 3-2-1 Go Green is available ONLY to Sonoma County residents who live within the Northern Sonoma County Air Pollution Control District (NSCAPCD) boundaries. The NSCAPCD boundary encompasses the northern and coastal regions of Sonoma County, including Healdsburg, Cloverdale, and Guerneville...
http://sonomacounty.ca.gov/TPW/Air-Quality/Electric-Vehicle-Rebates/

https://sonomacleanpower.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Certificate-back.pdf

edatoakrun said:
A friend just sent me this Mother of all discounts info, for Sonoma County CA residents.

If I read it right, looks like if you live there and qualify for all the low-income discounts (not that low, BTW) you might be able to buy a new LEAF SL for close to $5k, or net well over $5k of profit to just lease one.

BMW i3 deals there also.

..Who is eligible?
The 3-2-1 Go Green is available ONLY to Sonoma County residents who live within the Northern Sonoma County Air Pollution Control District (NSCAPCD) boundaries. The NSCAPCD boundary encompasses the northern and coastal regions of Sonoma County, including Healdsburg, Cloverdale, and Guerneville...
http://sonomacounty.ca.gov/TPW/Air-Quality/Electric-Vehicle-Rebates/

https://sonomacleanpower.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Certificate-back.pdf

great program and EXACTLY where the growth needs to be!

Just leased a 2017 Leaf S for $179 tax included and $2500 down. Was Pearl White with Quick Charge with an MSRP of $34,000. After state rebate total cost of $6,265 for the 3 years. Not the most amazing deal or anything but thought I'd share since hadn't seen much about 2017 models yet. All models now have the 30kWh battery now so I'm enjoying that updated range from my 2013 LEAF.

Great Deal for anyone in or near Kansas City

http://www.metroenergy.org/index.php/nissan-leaf-2016-group-buy-draft/

I've noticed that some of the higher end local used car dealers are starting to buy off-lease Leafs at out of state auctions and offer them to the public. They don't know much about them, but must feel that there is a market for affordable electrics.

craig said:
I've noticed that some of the higher end local used car dealers are starting to buy off-lease Leafs at out of state auctions and offer them to the public. They don't know much about them, but must feel that there is a market for affordable electrics.

there are a few in the NW that can't keep them on the lot long enough to research. One guy who wants one. sees an ad, goes online to ask our opinion of the car, we give it to him, he goes back to car dealer and the car is already gone. total time; usually a day, sometimes only a few hours

craig said:

I'm seeing that, too. Lots of Georgia '15s around right now.

powagoat said:
craig said:

I'm seeing that, too. Lots of Georgia '15s around right now.
Anaheim Pre owned cars in Anaheim California has 60 to 80 Leaf's at any time. Good prices.

There is exactly one 2016 Leaf SV with Premium left in my region. I can lease it for $2100 down (plus tax) and $316 a month, with a residual of $11k. I'm not impressed with that offer, but it may be my best less expensive alternative to a Bolt lease in which I wouldn't be able to afford to buy the car later. Thoughts? If they'd fixed the little things like no adjustable charge limit and those awful high beams I'd be more enthused...

I'm about to break down and pay the $10500 the local dealer wants. I was looking to get it to $9500 but that's not happening.

I tried to see what kinds of deals I could get on a new one but leasing just doesn't make sense to me - if I buy it at that price, drive it for 3 years, then trade it in for $5000 I'm out $6500 with taxes and doc fees. A lease at $316/month will drain you for $11300 after 3 years with nothing to show for it.

powagoat said:
I'm about to break down and pay the $10500 the local dealer wants. I was looking to get it to $9500 but that's not happening..

What are you buying out?

What year?

what is the balance on the lease, shown on the Nissan finance website? not the residual (balance at the end of the lease) but the balance right now?

You can buy out your lease with any Nissan dealer. it doesn't even need to be in your state, but it tends to be easier when you need to get them your registration and sorting out plates, taxes and such. i suppose.

powagoat said:
I'm about to break down and pay the $10500 the local dealer wants. I was looking to get it to $9500 but that's not happening.

I tried to see what kinds of deals I could get on a new one but leasing just doesn't make sense to me - if I buy it at that price, drive it for 3 years, then trade it in for $5000 I'm out $6500 with taxes and doc fees. A lease at $316/month will drain you for $11300 after 3 years with nothing to show for it.

Look at the residual. In the lease I mention above your post, the residual is $11k, meaning I can then buy the car for that much. That's about $4k below the likely market value. That in turns means that the lease has built some equity in the car, so it's only completely lost money if I turn the car in.

DuncanCunningham said:
What are you buying out?

What year?

Details in this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23421

But it's a 2015 (Really legitimately - the original dealer got it in 12/2014 and it got leased 1/2015). Battery's in great shape, 12k miles. Ultimately it became clear that this was a great car and a good price for what it is.

powagoat said:
Details in this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23421

But it's a 2015 (Really legitimately - the original dealer got it in 12/2014 and it got leased 1/2015). Battery's in great shape, 12k miles. Ultimately it became clear that this was a great car and a good price for what it is.
Looks good. My Wife's leaf is a 2015S and it's now 2 yrs old. I've not run leaf spy on it for a while but it always has really good range compared to my 2012.

powagoat said:

well you should drive it around instead of just letting it sit there! oh you did that? ok so your "nothing to show for it" statement isn't exactly true then...

Is there another dealer you can talk to? I find it difficult to believe they cant give you a better discount than that. It is NMAC that sets the price and it sounds to me that your dealer is simply being too greedy.

Back