Nissan Connect is Incomprehensible.. Needless Complexity

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blimpy

There learning curve with the Leaf is steep. The manual and the electronic display features are Needlessly Complex.

This is part of the greater cultural problem.. where-in computer program designers are allowed to meddle with
products. They are insanely focused on inventing puzzles.. the more complex they are.. they longer they get paid
to write and then debug them.

The Leaf is necessarily a technically complex car... in terms of the inner workings of its propulsion/control systems.
That is fine.

The VW BUG.. which the Leaf resembles in many ways.. was complex mechanically.
However its greatness was that it was hyper reliable, and utterly SIMPLE for the user.

Maybe some zombie somewhere needs facebook and twitter capability on their cars display.

But all users need to be able to monitor charging remotely.

Comes a new user - take me for instance - I wade through the manuals, the Nissan Connect Website - where I am directed
to go to Google Play to down load two different Nissan Connect Apps.. I go there.. do that.. and discover they are for ICE CARS ONLY !

Gee Whiz Nissan. WTF is up with that ?

Go back to google Play.. try to find the specific Nissan Connect EV... and it isn't there.

Why the diddly F isn't this downloadable direct from the Nissan website.. ?

---

Overall too damn many layers of stuff on the Display.. and some very important things.. Like the Charge Timer Button..
is labeled only some odd logo... and is a dark color ? Like that's incidental !! ??

---
Speaking of Functionality... How about giving us the ability to Stop Charging Based on Charge Level ?
Who's bright idea was it to make be Guestimate Time to Achieve a given level of Charge ?

When overcharging is one of the prime killers of the Leaf Battery.. and you get to shell out warranty claim replacements..
It would seem to be enlightened self interest to let me Select % charge as the controlling factor !!

Or, set the default turnoff point at 85%.. and let me push a button or select something to over-ride that for 95 or 100%.

---

How about spending a buck more per car.. and make the provided EVSE capable of 110-240 VAC operation.
This is so common in electronics now... its silly to mention it. This makes emergency and opportunity charging so much
easier and faster.. all we need to do is provide the right adapter.

----------

Kudos for making the S-30 ! Very much in the evolutionary spirit of the bug.. just where you should be.
Just put the Hybrid Heater in it !
-----------
Charge Spots on the GPS.. ought to be a single button function.. and likely a default !

Oh Iove the little turn gongs .. !

blimpy said:
Why the diddly F isn't this downloadable direct from the Nissan website.. ?
The website should at least provide the correct link to the app on Google Play.
Overall too damn many layers of stuff on the Display.. and some very important things.. Like the Charge Timer Button..
And is the button I want under Menu... or Status...
And which Settings button is the one I need to change the clocks for Daylight Savings Time...
And why are there two clocks, and BOTH must be manually changed for DST????
Speaking of Functionality... How about giving us the ability to Stop Charging Based on Charge Level ?
Who's bright idea was it to make be Guestimate Time to Achieve a given level of Charge ?
The 2011-2012 Leafs let you stop at either 100% or 80%. But then the EPA said that 80% charging had to be taken into account when determining total range, so Nissan did away with it in order to get a longer range rating.
How about spending a buck more per car.. and make the provided EVSE capable of 110-240 VAC operation.
This is so common in electronics now... its silly to mention it. This makes emergency and opportunity charging so much
It would be nice. Tesla provides exactly that.

garsh said:
And why are there two clocks, and BOTH must be manually changed for DST????
This was fixed on '13+ Leafs. The two clocks are synced now.
garsh said:
It would be nice. Tesla provides exactly that.
Ingineer himself at the podium pleaded w/the Nissan folks at a meeting in Dec 2011 w/Mark Perry, Chief Vehicle Engineer Kadota-san + others about providing that. I mentioned it at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12426&p=284531&hilit=ingineer+meeting#p284531.

Besides Tesla including a 120 to 240 volt capable EVSE, Volvo does include TurboCord: http://insideevs.com/2016-volvo-xc90-t8-plug-hybrid-include-free-aerovironment-turbocord/.

Tesla-( blah blah blah). They don't let folks like me in the gated communities and toney hotels that are Tesla Only..by design.
so, im not gonna pay any mind to what they get for perks in their rolling summer cottage.

Back