FIAT 500e

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing deal was offered Friday - $49/mo + $2500 down - CA rebate = $49/mo + tax/reg/fees.

http://insideevs.com/black-friday-saturday-sunday-lease-deal-fiat-500e-49-per-month-0/
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1107458_ca-dealer-offers-fiat-500e-electric-car-at-49-a-month-0-down-in-black-friday-weekend-deal

Unfortunately, that deal seems to be gone, but it appears that you can still get the same deal for $69/mo. At the end it seems that you can get out paying about $100/mo including tax/reg/fees.

Crazy cheap, at that price it's hard to pass up a fun little EV...

I just came from a visit at our friends' house in San Diego. They have a 2015 Golf TDI and a leased 2016 Fiat 500e (which they are only paying $150/month because he brother got bored of the car). She's a former MINI owner and absolutely loves the car for it's zippiness, ease of parking, and range (her commute is 5 mi). I started looking at a few off-lease Fiats and was surprised to see so many lemon/buyback vehicles. I'll have to do more research into what happened and/or how serious the issues were, but $7K for a 10K mile old EV isn't bad at all. I would think the support from Nissan would be better than Fiat, but I could be wrong. My wife drove their car and she's now onboard to add a small EV to our garage.

Ideally, I'd buy a new Volt before the tax credit is (presumably) removed by the incoming admin, but the price of a new car is a turn-off at this time. The circa $8000 price of the lease-return 500e, OTOH, would be very do-able. On paper, I like the car a lot. The problem is that my impression of Fiat/Chrysler reliability is not good.

My first attempts to find quality/reliability info for these are failing dismally. JD Powers' website shows no ratings (although weirdly, I found a fairly poor initial quality JD Power rating on an unrelated site). I'm not a Consumer Reports member, but would consider joining if they have actual data.

Anyone have links to more info on these? Dream, nightmare, or somewhere in between?

BuckRimfire said:
Ideally, I'd buy a new Volt before the tax credit is (presumably) removed by the incoming admin, but the price of a new car is a turn-off at this time. The circa $8000 price of the lease-return 500e, OTOH, would be very do-able. On paper, I like the car a lot. The problem is that my impression of Fiat/Chrysler reliability is not good.

My first attempts to find quality/reliability info for these are failing dismally. JD Powers' website shows no ratings (although weirdly, I found a fairly poor initial quality JD Power rating on an unrelated site). I'm not a Consumer Reports member, but would consider joining if they have actual data.

Anyone have links to more info on these? Dream, nightmare, or somewhere in between?
Most public libraries carry Consumer Reports. The April Auto issue or the December issue have the latest Frequency of Repair reports. Unfortunately, it appears they don't have enough owners reporting on the 500e (they require a minimum sample size to make the data statistically valid), as it isn't included in either of them, only the ICE (which is much worse than average, like most FCA products).

They're certainly popular here in the Bay Area, but that tells you nothing about their reliability.

http://www.myfiat500e.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43

Read learn understand.

Like all fca products it's a pig and a poke.

They took something that could have been simple and made it complex enough to have lots of lemons.

I have seen 500e s for as little as $3500 but I don't want to risk having a car that sits in the service dept half the time

GRA said:
Most public libraries carry Consumer Reports. The April Auto issue or the December issue have the latest Frequency of Repair reports. Unfortunately, it appears they don't have enough owners reporting on the 500e (they require a minimum sample size to make the data statistically valid), as it isn't included in either of them, only the ICE (which is much worse than average, like most FCA products).

They're certainly popular here in the Bay Area, but that tells you nothing about their reliability.
Correct but from the rankings of all of FCA's brands at http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/, it doesn't seem likely that the 500e is miraculously much more reliable than their other vehicles, given their losses on each 500e and that it's a compliance car. You'd think they'd spend less effort on long-term durability and reliability testing than even their not-reliable ICEVs that they've been building for many decades.

My wife did not care much for the Leaf's interior but she liked the 500e. We considered an amazing lease deal at effectively $55 per month ($114 when you factor fees, plus downpayment, less CA rebate). However, the insurance requirements for leasing would be another $104 per month. We decided to just buy a used 2013 fully loaded 500e with 22K miles on it. Insurance without comprehensive and collision is only $45 per month. So what started on a hunt for Leaf has led us to our Fiat. My only gripe is that FCA doesn't seem as invested in long-term ownership of these cars. The Fiat Access app and service is only functional for 3 years and cannot be extended.

I factored all this in to my decision and would be surprised if we still have this car in 5 years. I expect better cars to be flooding the secondary market off-lease…i.e. 2019 GM Bolt will probably be under $15K by then.

kwong7 said:
My only gripe is that FCA doesn't seem as invested in long-term ownership of these cars. The Fiat Access app and service is only functional for 3 years and cannot be extended.
Interesting. I didn't know that. That's one way to make sure they don't need to keep the service up for any longer than they need to. Once the last vehicle is sold/leased, take the service down 3 years later.

Two things --- one, I like the way AW compares the cost to lease a new Fiat 500e to a smartphone; still amazing to be able to drive something that cheap; who cares about residual value when its so much more inexpensive than an equivalent ICE.

http://autoweek.com/article/green-c...500e-discounts-mount-compact-ev#ixzz4ajXIRz5Y

Second, have started to see a handful of these used out in the Midwest, not saying that I'm interested at all (picked up a used VW e-Golf) but has anyone out here tried getting one of these serviced outside of the zero emission states? Can't imagine that FCA supports these with all the losses they state they incur with each new one they sell ($14K) but the dealers can bill back for warranty repairs so who knows ...

What's interesting is that in almost all CA photos of these on autotrader they prominently show the CA HOA stickers on the rear bumpers needed to avoid highway congestion --- big selling point I'm sure

I went to look at a used smart ev a few weeks ago in dallas texas and ended up leaving with a 2014 Fiat500E.
The smart EV would have been great around town and had lots of headroom. It didn't handle as smoothly as the fiat, the battery was at 40% of reserve and they though it was 40% of full so limp mode and mercedes seemed to think when I talked to them that I must continue the battery lease for another 7 years. I was worried about how long the battery had been dead and the possibly extra cost of the battery protection plus plan so that kinda ruled that out.

They had a number of fiat 500Es and all I knew is the CEO hated EVs and didnt' want anyone to buy them. Well the one we got was a 2014 with 15k miles on it at just over $6k. It drove smooth, it fits if I get the seat in the right spot and my wife likes it although instead of a bad weather car for her it is now my car because my work has underground parking so she'll take the old beaten 2004 prius we've had since new.

I read stories online about dealers in CA having issues at the start and many closing down because there was no parts support from FIAT overall not just the E. I called one of my local dealers here in Mckinney Texas and they have a tech who said they are an L2 tech and said they can do the two recalls on it for a minor inverter sensitivity problem and a vent issue. The tech also said there would be no problems with support for other issues if they can get the parts. The main customer service line was helpful and know how to find a tech and even offered towing for the recall if needed due to range issu since it was a recall but I declined because it wasn't.

So overall we bought a cheap fun car. I have had 3 other road going EVs over the years all conversions an 86 S10 Blazer, then an EV VW Rabbit from the 70s and finally an 80's S15 Pickup. All were lead sleds with the better part of a ton of golf cart batteries in them which took constant maintenance and care along with short range and quick replacement. I gave up two when I moved across country, got the pickup and then sold that when my office moved and I found my bicycle was alot easier to make the round trip that the S15 pickup wouldn't have made even with new batteries :shock:

We weren't looking for the FIAT but I hope it lasts a while. I didn't give it much thought as I have been running leaf batteries in my hustler zero turn electric mower for a season and they work so much better then the lead acid batteries so that gave me a little more confidence. Hustler discontinued that mower and it has virtually no support even back when I got it on consignment as the original owner wrecked one set of batteries and the dealer wrecked another in under 20 hours of running it. Now with the leaf batteries I mow and usually park it then charge it only when needed much like i'm treating the fiat. I don't want to keep either fully charged when I don't need it. I haven't gotten into the bottom 20% with either yet just keep it in the middle.

evblazer said:
I went to look at a used smart ev a few weeks ago in dallas texas and ended up leaving with a 2014 Fiat500E.
The smart EV would have been great around town and had lots of headroom. It didn't handle as smoothly as the fiat, the battery was at 40% of reserve and they though it was 40% of full so limp mode and mercedes seemed to think when I talked to them that I must continue the battery lease for another 7 years. I was worried about how long the battery had been dead and the possibly extra cost of the battery protection plus plan so that kinda ruled that out.

They had a number of fiat 500Es and all I knew is the CEO hated EVs and didnt' want anyone to buy them. Well the one we got was a 2014 with 15k miles on it at just over $6k. It drove smooth, it fits if I get the seat in the right spot and my wife likes it although instead of a bad weather car for her it is now my car because my work has underground parking so she'll take the old beaten 2004 prius we've had since new.

I read stories online about dealers in CA having issues at the start and many closing down because there was no parts support from FIAT overall not just the E. I called one of my local dealers here in Mckinney Texas and they have a tech who said they are an L2 tech and said they can do the two recalls on it for a minor inverter sensitivity problem and a vent issue. The tech also said there would be no problems with support for other issues if they can get the parts. The main customer service line was helpful and know how to find a tech and even offered towing for the recall if needed due to range issu since it was a recall but I declined because it wasn't.

So overall we bought a cheap fun car. I have had 3 other road going EVs over the years all conversions an 86 S10 Blazer, then an EV VW Rabbit from the 70s and finally an 80's S15 Pickup. All were lead sleds with the better part of a ton of golf cart batteries in them which took constant maintenance and care along with short range and quick replacement. I gave up two when I moved across country, got the pickup and then sold that when my office moved and I found my bicycle was alot easier to make the round trip that the S15 pickup wouldn't have made even with new batteries :shock:

We weren't looking for the FIAT but I hope it lasts a while. I didn't give it much thought as I have been running leaf batteries in my hustler zero turn electric mower for a season and they work so much better then the lead acid batteries so that gave me a little more confidence. Hustler discontinued that mower and it has virtually no support even back when I got it on consignment as the original owner wrecked one set of batteries and the dealer wrecked another in under 20 hours of running it. Now with the leaf batteries I mow and usually park it then charge it only when needed much like i'm treating the fiat. I don't want to keep either fully charged when I don't need it. I haven't gotten into the bottom 20% with either yet just keep it in the middle.

Was it at Driver Select by chance? I went there looking at Leafs and they had a few 500e when I went. I already drive a Fiat 500 ICE, so I wasn't interested in the EV version (mainly due to range). My 2012 500 has been rock solid and I'm still getting 36-38mpg in it. They are great cars that do not deserve the bashing they have been getting.

tattoogunman said:
Was it at Driver Select by chance? I went there looking at Leafs and they had a few 500e when I went. I already drive a Fiat 500 ICE, so I wasn't interested in the EV version (mainly due to range). My 2012 500 has been rock solid and I'm still getting 36-38mpg in it. They are great cars that do not deserve the bashing they have been getting.

Yes that was the place and now of course they are all over the place except no EVs seems listed online at driveselect anymore. They did seem to have alot of problems charging all their EVs which may have been from the charge timer defaulting to charge only on off hours so being plugged in all day did nothing but drain the 12v battery. I told them about the charge timer and now they don't seem to have EVs but I tried.

Originally it was to be a bad weather car for my wife since she drives a jeep with no doors or roof however the Ol prius took that job since it doesn't matter if it gets hailed on. The fiat is so nice we didn't want to leave it out in the hail so it is pretty much my everyday vehicle. With the AC running and half highway full speed and half bumper to bumper my last two charges got me just over 70 miles with 17% and 29% left and that is driving hard fastest from the stoplight not slowing for hills driving. The FIAT wouldn't work for really long trips but we don't need that and haven't except for a few trips a year in the last 20 years. I can charge at whole foods and kohls for free but they are right by my house anyways so don't help extend my range. IKEA has a few charge stations but I could easily make that round trip anyways although I may try it out one day if I'm at IKEA. I mostly charge at work where I pay under $1-2 for a fillup depending on how far i've driven and they charge $0.60 an hour for being plugged in which is reasonable compared to my home rate and with my old house and wiring I'd rather charge at work..

evblazer said:
tattoogunman said:

Yes that was the place and now of course they are all over the place except no EVs seems listed online at driveselect anymore. They did seem to have alot of problems charging all their EVs which may have been from the charge timer defaulting to charge only on off hours so being plugged in all day did nothing but drain the 12v battery. I told them about the charge timer and now they don't seem to have EVs but I tried.

Originally it was to be a bad weather car for my wife since she drives a jeep with no doors or roof however the Ol prius took that job since it doesn't matter if it gets hailed on. The fiat is so nice we didn't want to leave it out in the hail so it is pretty much my everyday vehicle. With the AC running and half highway full speed and half bumper to bumper my last two charges got me just over 70 miles with 17% and 29% left and that is driving hard fastest from the stoplight not slowing for hills driving. The FIAT wouldn't work for really long trips but we don't need that and haven't except for a few trips a year in the last 20 years. I can charge at whole foods and kohls for free but they are right by my house anyways so don't help extend my range. IKEA has a few charge stations but I could easily make that round trip anyways although I may try it out one day if I'm at IKEA. I mostly charge at work where I pay under $1-2 for a fillup depending on how far i've driven and they charge $0.60 an hour for being plugged in which is reasonable compared to my home rate and with my old house and wiring I'd rather charge at work..

I have yet to see a 500e in the wild out here, but have been increasingly seeing Fiats on the road over the years. There really does appear to be a lack of charging options in this area and that was another reason why I'm a bit iffy on going the EV route. None of the places that I go to has a charging point with the exception of a Whole Foods that I visit once in a while. My college campus only has two points, but you have to have the premium parking permit to use them which really irritates me.

tattoogunman said:
I have yet to see a 500e in the wild out here, but have been increasingly seeing Fiats on the road over the years. There really does appear to be a lack of charging options in this area and that was another reason why I'm a bit iffy on going the EV route. None of the places that I go to has a charging point with the exception of a Whole Foods that I visit once in a while. My college campus only has two points, but you have to have the premium parking permit to use them which really irritates me.

I drive <40 miles a day and <150 a week since I sometimes can work from home 2 days so even without public charging I could easily live with it. If you think you might need public charging at all then the Fiat wouldn't work in north texas. I saw about 10 at driver select and I've seen a couple elsewhere but it seems they sit in the lot for a while. I saw my first one in the wild this week it was the same color, pin striping and everything. I tried to get their attention but sadly nothing. I've only seen one 500L and two 500 abarths since buying it so fiats are pretty rare in my area. Now jeeps argh I can't go 30 seconds without a jeep wrangler I think they are all in north texas.

evblazer said:
tattoogunman said:

I drive <40 miles a day and <150 a week since I sometimes can work from home 2 days so even without public charging I could easily live with it. If you think you might need public charging at all then the Fiat wouldn't work in north texas. I saw about 10 at driver select and I've seen a couple elsewhere but it seems they sit in the lot for a while. I saw my first one in the wild this week it was the same color, pin striping and everything. I tried to get their attention but sadly nothing. I've only seen one 500L and two 500 abarths since buying it so fiats are pretty rare in my area. Now jeeps argh I can't go 30 seconds without a jeep wrangler I think they are all in north texas.

I am in Plano and spend most of my time in Plano, McKinney, Allen, Richardson, and Frisco. I see more Abarths more than I do standard 500 models and I see the odd L here and there. I have only seen one Spyder (they actually work at the school my daughter goes to) and I've only seen a few X models around. Fiats have not been selling that well, but when I check their numbers, they seem fairly stable and they have increased since being reintroduced into the U.S. However, those numbers still pale to the other major manufacturers.

Realistically, I probably would not have to use a public charging point given the distances I drive, but it would be nice to have something available in the event of an eventuality you know? Honestly, I generally drive less than 10 miles a day as it is and that is one of the reasons why I have been warming up to EVs in the first place.

redLEAF said:
Can't imagine that FCA supports these with all the losses they state they incur with each new one they sell ($14K) but the dealers can bill back for warranty repairs so who knows ...
He used to complain he'd lose $10K a piece, then $14K and now it's $20K: https://insideevs.com/fiat-compete-marchionne-late-party/.

I don't see that many of these at my work any more. I suspect most of them went back at end of lease. That was definitely the case for 3 folks at my work who had each had a 500e and don't have them any more.

Back