Text message for more than one phone

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimmv

Looking for some help on a puzzle... we have two iPhones paired up with our Nissan 2016 Leaf. We are successfully able to use the hands-free system for phone calls on either phone (depending on which one is connected) and can also successfully play audio through either iPhone - again, dependent on which is the active connection.

Only one phone, however successfully receives and reads texts; the other iPhone does not read new texts when they arrive. In fact, selecting Text from the menu when the problem phone is connected results in an error indicating Text messaging is not available on [this iPhone]. When the other iPhone is connected, it all works as it should.

Both are iPhone 6, latest iOS. Any clue what troubleshooting steps might be worth pursuing?

Have you tried turning on Bluetooth notifications for your LEAF on the uncooperative iPhone?

Settings -> Bluetooth - > MY LEAF -> Notifications [ON]

Settings -> Bluetooth - > MY LEAF -> Notifications [ON]

That helped a great deal - texts arriving to the uncooperative phone are now read by the Leaf (when it's connected) and the error message has gone away when attempting to send a text.

Sending texts now fail a bit further on in the process but this is still a major improvement.

Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't know that setting was even there and would not have guessed it did that though I could have sworn that I did already compare settings between the two phones, looking for something of exactly this kind.

Glad to be of help. As for sending texts, for unclear reasons LEAF is unable to send text responses via Bluetooth to iPhone.

If I need to respond, I'll use Siri: "Hey Siri, Tell Bob I'll pick up some chips as well"

If you have Hey Siri enabled on your iPhone, you can just speak a command without doing anything. Newer versions only respond to the voice it was set up with. You can also separate Hey Siri and the request. Hey Siri by itself will cause the phone to connect audio to the car and give the ding, then you can speak your request using the car mic.

I also use Hey Siri on my watch.

Without Hey Siri, you can long-press the iPhone home button, wait for the ding, then speak your request through the car mic. There is also a way to set up a phone book entry in the car to activate Siri. Someone here found a Bluetooth "home" button that can trigger Siri.

Using Siri/Hey Siri as a workaround or straight out better alternative may be useful. I'm still puzzling over why sending fixed texts works on one phone though and the other one now LOOKS like it's sending texts but then just fails. And it's not that the texting from the phone is failing as it appears to never get as far as the phone at all.

If anyone has some troubleshooting suggestions I'm happy to check out, test, try whatever - I just don't yet see how to tell what could be going wrong at this point now that the phone seems to be connected, incoming messages get through, and texting appears as an option but then fails to complete.

Thanks for any insights or advice anyone might have.

I had this enabled and it was sending "I'm driving" messages to the most recent conversations in my text list. Considering what time I am on the road most mornings, this was completely unacceptable and turned off.

Back