Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When looking at the whole USA at supercharge.info and setting the circles to 90 miles it appears many (most) are 100 miles or less apart. The ones I traveled from IL to SD (90) were more the exception at 125 miles.

Nice steady increase. supercharge.info and charts tab
i.imgur.com/0OTcssr.png
0OTcssr.png

scottf200 said:
When looking at the whole USA at supercharge.info and setting the circles to 90 miles it appears many (most) are 100 miles or less apart. The ones I traveled from IL to SD (90) were more the exception at 125 miles.
In more remote areas they are often further apart than desirable, as there are often few options for where to put them. An example is the current expansion on I-10 in West Texas, where the next one west of Ft. Stockton will be in Van Horn (120 miles), despite the 80 mph speed limits, sometimes high winds, 1,500' climb (net gain a little over 1kft.) and often high temps requiring heavy A/C use. The only intermediate town (with a restaurant) is Balmorhea, 54 miles from Ft. Stockton.

GRA said:
In more remote areas they are often further apart than desirable, as there are often few options for where to put them. An example is the current expansion on I-10 in West Texas, where the next one west of Ft. Stockton will be in Van Horn (120 miles), despite the 80 mph speed limits, sometimes high winds, 1,500' climb (net gain a little over 1kft.) and often high temps requiring heavy A/C use. The only intermediate town (with a restaurant) is Balmorhea, 54 miles from Ft. Stockton.
Yes. Some of the Supercharger legs I have done include Tremonton UT to Twin Falls ID at 148 miles; Kingman AZ to Flagstaff AZ at 147 miles plus 3500 feet of elevation gain; Needles CA to Barstow CA, 147 miles plus 1860 feet of elevation gain plus possible headwinds; El Centro CA to San Diego CA 122 miles plus 4000+ feet of elevation gain and very strong headwinds until one gets over the Laguna Mountains. I expect that some of those will get fill-in Supercharger sites eventually but for now they take some planning and care to complete, especially in an S60.

Supercharger legs longer than 100 miles, are the norm over most of the routes I drive. They are closer together here in Colorado because of large elevation changes and winter weather in the mountains, but in many places in the West they are rather far apart, as you well know.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
Yes. Some of the Supercharger legs I have done include Tremonton UT to Twin Falls ID at 148 miles; Kingman AZ to Flagstaff AZ at 147 miles plus 3500 feet of elevation gain; Needles CA to Barstow CA, 147 miles plus 1860 feet of elevation gain plus possible headwinds; El Centro CA to San Diego CA 122 miles plus 4000+ feet of elevation gain and very strong headwinds until one gets over the Laguna Mountains. I expect that some of those will get fill-in Supercharger sites eventually but for now they take some planning and care to complete, especially in an S60.

Supercharger legs longer than 100 miles, are the norm over most of the routes I drive. They are closer together here in Colorado because of large elevation changes and winter weather in the mountains, but in many places in the West they are rather far apart, as you well know.
A lot of the early routes were essentially spaced for S85s (remember when Elon admitted that they needed to be no more than 140 miles apart instead of 200 in Le Affaire Broder?), with little thought given to S60s or Model 3s with or w/o degradation. Infill has taken place in some areas and the newer sites normally have shorter spacing, but especially out west there's still a lot that needs to be done. An SC in Burley or Heyburn, ID is needed to shorten the I-84 leg to Tremonton; there needs to be one in Ash Fork, Williams or Seligman to shorten the Kingman - Flagstaff leg (and make eastbound travel to Grand Canyon South Rim easier), etc. At roughly one hour spacing one SC can be skipped in good conditions by S60s etc., and two by S85+s. Once they're spaced no more than 1/2 hour apart they'll be comparable to gas stations, if not in refueling time.

Just for abasile, as we'd discussed the need for one on the north side of Joshua Tree before, a stealth SC has just popped up in Twenty-Nine Palms. Less important now that he has an S85, but adds an option.

Yes, indeed! Here's what I posted on TMC this morning:

I'm excited about the new Twentynine Palms, CA Supercharger that Tesla tweeted last night. It'll be a key pitstop on the direct, off-Interstate route between Palm Springs and Las Vegas. We will appreciate it on our trips to Joshua Tree National Park, especially since we like to take the back roads (CA-18, CA-247, and CA-62) rather than I-10. It'll also be quite helpful for those visiting the US Marine Corps base nearby.

abasile said:
Yes, indeed! Here's what I posted on TMC this morning:

I'm excited about the new Twentynine Palms, CA Supercharger that Tesla tweeted last night. It'll be a key pitstop on the direct, off-Interstate route between Palm Springs and Las Vegas. We will appreciate it on our trips to Joshua Tree National Park, especially since we like to take the back roads (CA-18, CA-247, and CA-62) rather than I-10. It'll also be quite helpful for those visiting the US Marine Corps base nearby.
Before I forget, one minor milestone to note: Santa Ana, CA, which opened on Dec. 6th, was the 50th SC in California. Two or three years ago I figured out that 50 appropriately placed SCs would allow all Model S's to reach 90% of the state with reasonable convenience; 60 would allow 100% of the state's paved roads to be used. At somewhere between 60 and 100 SCs you'd reach the point where you could access 100% of the state under convenient, no-worries conditions, and everything over that just boosted capacity.

Unfortunately, of the first 50 (51 now) SCs in commission here, about 10 of those added have been infill, increasing density/convenience or capacity rather than extending coverage, so we've still got a ways to go.

Abasile, have you ever been to Mojave Nat'l Preserve? I haven't and don't know if it's worth it, but it looks to me like you could manage a loop (ca. 215 miles via EV Trip Planner) through it in your S85 from Barstow, going out I-40, taking Kelbaker road through it to Baker and returning via I-15, or vice versa. As it's probably pushing the range at freeway speeds, you have the option of taking Route 66 paralleling I-40 for 50 miles out of Barstow to Ludlow, and there's a similar ca. 20 mile segment paralleling I-15. That way, you can slow down to 55 or 60 if desired and not be worried about getting run over by a semi.

GRA said:
Abasile, have you ever been to Mojave Nat'l Preserve? I haven't and don't know if it's worth it, but it looks to me like you could manage a loop (ca. 215 miles via EV Trip Planner) through it in your S85 from Barstow, going out I-40, taking Kelbaker road through it to Baker and returning via I-15, or vice versa. As it's probably pushing the range at freeway speeds, you have the option of taking Route 66 paralleling I-40 for 50 miles out of Barstow to Ludlow, and there's a similar ca. 20 mile segment paralleling I-15. That way, you can slow down to 55 or 60 if desired and not be worried about getting run over by a semi.
Yes, we've visited the Mojave National Preserve a couple of times, including Hole In The Wall Campground and Mitchell Caverns (before it closed in 2011, hopefully being reopened before long). I'd like to explore more, particularly some of the hiking trails such as Teutonia Peak (5755' / 1754m) which is reported to have the highest concentration of Joshua Trees in the world.

Your suggested route seems like a good possibility. Alternatively, it'd be easy (with an S85) to incorporate a visit to the Mojave National Preserve into a longer trip. One could Supercharge at either Barstow or 29 Palms, visit the Preserve, then Supercharge at Primm, NV on the way to another destination. From the Barstow SC, via I-40, Black Canyon Road, Mojave Road (dirt but okay for 2WD vehicles), Cima Road, and I-15, it's 187 miles to Primm. Or from the 29 Palms SC, it'd be only 170 miles if taking those same roads through the Preserve. Depending on what one wants to see, there are other route options through the Preserve that are even shorter. As to what to see after Primm, a great option could be Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area west of Las Vegas. Yet another possibility would be to visit the Preserve and then drive east to the SC in Needles, CA.

Also, I'd be surprised if Tesla doesn't eventually site a Supercharger in Baker, CA, which would add to our flexibility in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

abasile said:
<snip>Also, I'd be surprised if Tesla doesn't eventually site a Supercharger in Baker, CA, which would add to our flexibility in the middle of the Mojave Desert.
IMO Baker would have been a better site than Primm for the first infill SC between Barstow and L.V. Primm's too close to Vegas (~43 miles; Baker's 69 miles from Barstow SC) for people coming back to gain much charge, and is before the big climb to the pass where the headwinds are blowing the strongest. Baker's also the junction for the east side route into Death Valley. Having them in both locations would be near ideal. OTOH, considering solely the Barstow - L.V. leg, probably the best place for a single infill SC would have been at the Shell station at Cima Rd. (94 miles from Barstow SC, and about 6-8 miles west of the highest point). As people only need to add 5-10 minutes of charge to reach either end from here, the lack of a restaurant wouldn't be a big deal.

GRA said:
Non-SC (UC?), speaking of Baker: http://insideevs.com/evgo-installing-first-350-kw-ultra-fast-public-charging-station-us/
Yes, that's great news! CHAdeMO/CCS in Baker by June 2017. Unless Tesla installs an SC in Baker by late 2017 (the next cool season, when visiting Death Valley makes sense) we may find ourselves borrowing a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter for use in Baker.

As of yesterday evening, Groveland and Fish Camp, CA are both open, providing access to Yosemite from the west (120) and south-southwest (41)! Now we just need one in the Mariposa - El Portal area on 140, and 120 at Lee Vining (still); Mammoth's nice, but a bit too far.

Great news - Tesla is going to start charging a per-minute fee to owners who leave their cars parked at Superchargers after charging is complete! This should help relieve congestion at some key locations.

http://insideevs.com/tesla-takes-action-40-centminute-charge-to-stop-supercharger-hogging/

@elonmusk
@TeslaMotors We are going to modify this so that people only pay a fee if most bays are occupied. If the site is basically deserted, no problem to park.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/810135528783937537

Rebel44 said:
@elonmusk
@TeslaMotors We are going to modify this so that people only pay a fee if most bays are occupied. If the site is basically deserted, no problem to park.

"most bays", "basically deserted"... nice crisp policy

LTLFTcomposite said:
Rebel44 said:
@elonmusk

"most bays", "basically deserted"... nice crisp policy

You don't park there for fun. You just don't get fined if it is not a big deal.
This proves only one thing: Tesla is not trying to make money on that.

As soon as somebody has to share a charger (not plug) then every minute will be fined.

If A1 A2 is unoccupied, B1 and C1 are charging. And you park for fun at D1. D2 is occupied,
then you don't pay. As soon as somebody occupies A you pay because next Tesla has no
way to choose full speed charging and has to share power.

Zythryn said:
2017 map is up!

https://www.tesla.com/supercharger
Without checking every dot, on a quick look it appears to be mainly the 2016 map retitled, i.e. I-10/20, I-40, I-80, I-94, I-25, I-29 from I-94 to Winnipeg etc. all completed, plus some infill and a little bit of off-interstate expansion - looks like Alamosa and Salida on U.S. 285 in Colorado, plus maybe Walsenburg on I-25, and Kremmling on U.S. 40. Glacier will finally be semi-accessible, with an SC in the Kalispell - W. Glacier area (plus the three on I-25 in Helena, Great Falls and Shelby that were on the 2016 map), and Kayenta has also rolled over. Looks like there may be one coming around Payson, AZ too - I would have thought Globe and Show Low would also show up around the same time.

GRA said:
Zythryn said:
2017 map is up!

Without checking every dot, on a quick look it appears to be mainly the 2016 map retitled, i.e. I-10/20, I-40, I-80, I-94, I-25, I-29 to Winnipeg etc. all completed, plus some infill and a little bit of off-interstate expansion.

Not sure overall, in our area it is rather dramatic.
Two more SC in southern MN, the one in St. Cloud which is under construction. Outside of Fargo, there was nothing in ND on the 2016 map, the 2017 map has them spanning the state.
Another in Souix Falls SD, and one just north of Des Moines, making that trip sound on 35 much easier.

Of course, this is their stated goal. I wouldn't bet my life on any at this point. But it is good to see what the goal is.

Zythryn said:
GRA said:
Zythryn said:
2017 map is up!

Without checking every dot, on a quick look it appears to be mainly the 2016 map retitled, i.e. I-10/20, I-40, I-80, I-94, I-25, I-29 to Winnipeg etc. all completed, plus some infill and a little bit of off-interstate expansion.

Not sure overall, in our area it is rather dramatic.
Two more SC in southern MN, the one in St. Cloud which is under construction. Outside of Fargo, there was nothing in ND on the 2016 map, the 2017 map has them spanning the state.{/quote]
Nah, that's just I-94 from Billings to Fargo, which was on the '2016' (and '2015') maps. As I've been saying for the past couple of years that that section of I-94 should be the very last primary interstate in the contiguous 48 to be completed, I look forward to it making a return appearance on the '2018' map!

Zythryn said:
Another in Souix Falls SD, and one just north of Des Moines, making that trip sound on 35 much easier.
Those two (the one N. of Des Moines looks like Ames) plus the one I'm guessing will be in Bethany, IA make more sense than I-94. Although if there were anything other than a Flying J in the vicinity of I-35 and U.S. 20, that would be a better choice than Ames. Actually, that's only 2 miles north of the U.S. 20 intersection, so it'd still be a better choice .

Zythryn said:
Of course, this is their stated goal. I wouldn't bet my life on any at this point. But it is good to see what the goal is.
Goals are great, and I look forward to the day when Tesla achieves more than 80% of theirs. At least they're over 70% now.

Back