Official BMW i3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
re #3, handling seemed quite good with those wonky tires, but they cost a fortune and wear out quickly, so pass. Looked to me like you'd spend double what a regular car uses in gas every year just keeping shoes on that thing.

Tires last well. Ours have 16,000km (10,000 miles) on them and about half worn. They are expensive if you buy them from the BMW dealer, but good price from a tyre dealer. Set of 4 19 inch from Tire Rack are $543. Similar to the Leaf tire prices but less options available because of the unusual sizes.

I kinda like there funky styling but then again thats why I love our leaf. We actually looked at the i3 but in my country there seems to be a solid 20,000 dollar difference. (Canadian currency). We just didn't see it the difference and the range of the 30KW SV was more than we'll ever need. Kinda cool though.

Beleaf said:
lorenfb said:
Beleaf said:
It's quite interesting to drive along with a fancy car (or park next to) like a Porsche and notice more pedestrians look with interest at the i3.

Yes, but you really don't know what they're truly thinking.

A significant number of pedestrians come over while walking past and look at the car. If I show up they are interested in the details of the vehicle, and as yet no-one has been negative about it. Well, some are concerned about the purchase cost but that is just how an EV is around here at the current stage. I actually have a Porsche as well, but it gets way less interest. Only P-car fans spend any time looking at the CS. That's just how it is.

Maybe I have never been around when Leaf owners come and have a look. Apparently they dislike other EV's. I like them all, but I didn't buy a Leaf because of the lack of battery temperature management in our hot climate. Most of the people looking at the i3 are normal fossil fuel car owners, but I have also met Tesla and other EV/Hybrid owners having a good look.

Back to the original issue, i.e. what some may be thinking when viewing an i3. Even though some may ask
questions about the i3, to conjecture that indicates that they find the appearance appealing is naive. Some
may find the i3 unappealing and wish to determine why someone would drive such an ugly vehicle and
what may be appealing other than its appearance. Obviously, few if any would ever express their true
opinions, especially with regard to its appearance.

lorenfb said:
Beleaf said:
lorenfb said:

A significant number of pedestrians come over while walking past and look at the car. If I show up they are interested in the details of the vehicle, and as yet no-one has been negative about it. Well, some are concerned about the purchase cost but that is just how an EV is around here at the current stage. I actually have a Porsche as well, but it gets way less interest. Only P-car fans spend any time looking at the CS. That's just how it is.

Maybe I have never been around when Leaf owners come and have a look. Apparently they dislike other EV's. I like them all, but I didn't buy a Leaf because of the lack of battery temperature management in our hot climate. Most of the people looking at the i3 are normal fossil fuel car owners, but I have also met Tesla and other EV/Hybrid owners having a good look.

Back to the original issue, i.e. what some may be thinking when viewing an i3. Even though some may ask
questions about the i3, to conjecture that indicates that they find the appearance appealing is naive. Some
may find the i3 unappealing and wish to determine why someone would drive such an ugly vehicle and
what may be appealing other than its appearance. Obviously, few if any would ever express their true

Try reading what I wrote, rather than repeating an opinion.

My words are not conjecture, they are examples of information shared from the public who see the i3 in the flesh.

I regularly park at a large shopping centre, and I often have actual discussions with people regarding the i3. After doing the shopping, there is often people peering into the car and walking around it as I turn up and start loading the shopping in the hatch. There is way more interest in the i3 than any other car in the car park.

I can't say how people behave in your country and area, but I can say how people behave here in Australia and in our community. If they hated the styling, they would find a polite way to say so. Most are interested in the underlying difference rather than whether they love/hate the styling. The car stands out because it doesn't look like the mass of generic vehicles on the road. Whether someone thinks it's ugly is up to them, but so far no-one has indicated that IRL in my experience.

Autocar UK just published an electric vehicle group test of four EV's available in the UK, including the new Hyundai Ioniq. The i3 is top of the list, followed by the Golf, then the rest:

1. BMW i3 94Ah "So good that it'll make you think differently about EVs. The i3 is one of the best urban cars money can buy, and great fun to drive." 5/5

2. Volkswagen e-Golf "Pioneering technology delivered with VW polish. E-Golf is strong in every important area but curiously expensive on a monthly basis." 4.5/5

3. Hyudai Ioniq Electric Premium SE "Hyundai's first dedicated battery car shows plenty of promise but needs better dynamic finishing. Good on value, practicality and range." 4/5

4. Nissan Leaf 30kWh Tekna "Original electric poster boy shows how far rivals have moved the game on. Leaf is still very credible and genuinely usable, though." 3/5

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/hyundai-ioniq-volkswagen-e-golf-bmw-i3-vs-nissan-leaf-electric-vehicle-group-test

lorenfb said:
Beleaf said:
lorenfb said:

Common sense must be in short supply. It is obviously likely that people that gather around a car, go out of their way to approach it, or attempt to talk to the owner, find it appealing in some way, whether technologically, visually or otherwise. To think otherwise is naive.

Wow you really can't think straight when you don't like something, it really seems to consume you. I would advise you just move on to another thread that actually interests you. For your own mental health.

Firetruck41 said:
Common sense must be in short supply. It is obviously likely that people that gather around a car, go out of their way to approach it, or attempt to talk to the owner, find it appealing in some way, whether technologically, visually or otherwise. To think otherwise is naive.

Wow you really can't think straight when you don't like something, it really seems to consume you. I would advise you just move on to another thread that actually interests you. For your own mental health.

Have anything of substance to contribute? Or trolling with your typical ad hominem attack?

Firetruck41 said:

Really, and how did you conclude this, Sherlock? Used your "personal" Venn diagram? Or you are sampling expert, right?

Firetruck41 said:
obviously likely
- a term learned in a middle school logic class

Interesting enough, we went by the BMW dealer couple weeks ago because they had an I8 on the lot. Kinda cool. Anyway, they had one I3 on the lot. We went buy yesterday and they have 4 on the lot. Different colors. Kind funky. Coincidentally went past the Nissan dealer and didn't see any leafs. They had a couple used ones a couple weeks ago though.

webeleafowners said:
Interesting enough, we went by the BMW dealer couple weeks ago because they had an I8 on the lot. Kinda cool. Anyway, they had one I3 on the lot. We went buy yesterday and they have 4 on the lot. Different colors. Kind funky. Coincidentally went past the Nissan dealer and didn't see any leafs. They had a couple used ones a couple weeks ago though.

During my visit to the local Nissan dealer to have the 3G update done, I spoke to the lead Leaf salesperson.
He indicated that they had only 2017 models, i.e. 9+, S, SV, & SL all 30kWh. Also, he said toward the end
of 2017 there would be a completely new Leaf with a 60kWh battery (range > 200 miles).

lorenfb said:
During my visit to the local Nissan dealer to have the 3G update done, I spoke to the lead Leaf salesperson.
He indicated that they had only 2017 models, i.e. 9+, S, SV, & SL all 30kWh. Also, he said toward the end
of 2017 there would be a completely new Leaf with a 60kWh battery (range > 200 miles).

Pardon me, this is the BMW i3 thread, not spiel about the Leaf although it sounds like they are moving forward. Plenty of other threads here for that. :lol:

Via IEVS:
19,130 BMW i3 REx Recalled In US Due To Fire Risk…Thanks To Its Gas Extender
http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-rex-recalled-for-fire-risk-thanks-to-its-gas-extender/

The recall sounds minor and routine, but more interesting to me was the first official confirmation that the Rex/non-Rex ratio has been about 3:1, as that's what I've been seeing in my completely non-scientific local counts.

. . . The issue applies to model year 2014-2017 BMW i3s, which total 19,130 vehicles in the US, and was first detected by a BMW dealer. . . .

As an interesting sidenote to this recall, we now have a solid idea of the cumulative selling ratio between the all-electric BMW i3 and the range extended since the vehicles debut, as over that time a total of 24,741 i3s where sold, meaning the REx has outsold the BEV in just over a 3:1 ratio. . . .

GRA said:
As an interesting sidenote to this recall, we now have a solid idea of the cumulative selling ratio between the all-electric BMW i3 and the range extended since the vehicles debut, as over that time a total of 24,741 i3s where sold, meaning the REx has outsold the BEV in just over a 3:1 ratio. . . .

So the typical BMW i3 buyer prefers a higher end hybrid, e.g. status & EV range, than the Volt or Prius PHEV
at the expensive of a marginal Rex ICE compared to either the Volt or Prius and where cost is not an issue.

A few years ago I posted on this thread that I thought I might be interested in an i3 after someone else paid the huge initial depreciation.

But even though they are much cheaper today than I expected they would be, the much-faster-than-expected drop in all new and used BEV prices makes it unlikely I'll decide to pick one up.

You Can Get A Rear-Engined BMW With A Carbon Fiber Body For Less Than A Honda Civic

What comes to mind when you think exotic cars? Probably something like a carbon fiber shell and an engine behind the driver. You might be surprised to learn that can have both with a warranty, and it will cost you well under $20,000. These days, the unusual and ultra-efficient BMW i3 is really cheap.

Let’s start with the basics: the body is carbon fiber. Yes, the same material that you find in Formula One racecars and hyper exotics like the McLaren P1. The motor is in the rear and pumps out the electric equivalent of about 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque that is available immediately. This means the little car can scoot to 60 mph in about 7.2 seconds. While that’s not M3 quick, the lightweight and instant power make it a super fun runabout for city and urban driving.

While all that sounds like a hoot, a brand new BMW i3 has a starting price of over $42,000 before you start checking off your options boxes. However, since the first batch of i3 models are just now coming off their three-year lease period and gas is cheap, the market is flooded with super cheap cars, most of which have a BMW Certified Pre-Owned warranty.

Some careful shopping could land you one of these carbon fiber electric hatchbacks for less than $16,000...

Now the downside is that these early i3 models had an effective range of about 83 miles. So it really only worked for people scooting around town or didn’t have to drive far to work. If you wanted to go a bit further you could get a gasoline Range Extender model but that will set you back closer to $20,000...
http://jalopnik.com/you-can-get-a-rear-engined-bmw-with-a-carbon-fiber-body-1795331183

I personally think a 40 kwh battery hits the sweet spot because it provides ample range for the type of driving most people need. Most families now have at least two vehicles. A 40 kwh EV is perfect to fill the commuter/run about town role. Adoption of such a vehicle by the majority of families in lieu of their current gas powered commuter vehicles would result in greater CO2 reduction than trying to convince people to buy a one size fits all 200 or 300 EV.

And the 40 kwh EV would make the commute more fun to drive than it's ICE counterpart!

LKK said:
I personally think a 40 kwh battery hits the sweet spot because it provides ample range for the type of driving most people need. Most families now have at least two vehicles. A 40 kwh EV is perfect to fill the commuter/run about town role. Adoption of such a vehicle by the majority of families in lieu of their current gas powered commuter vehicles would result in greater CO2 reduction than trying to convince people to buy a one size fits all 200 or 300 EV.

And the 40 kwh EV would make the commute more fun to drive than it's ICE counterpart!
I agree that around 150 miles of range at the lowest possible price will be adequate for most people's commute car. I wrote back in 2013 or maybe 2012 that I thought 150 miles @ $30k would be the point at which mainstream consumers started to seriously consider BEVs. Unfortunately, when I wrote that the national average price of gas was around $3.50/gallon while it's currently $2.36, which likely moves the tipping point down to the same range at maybe $25k. We'll see.

edatoakrun said:
A few years ago I posted on this thread that I thought I might be interested in an i3 after someone else paid the huge initial depreciation.

But even though they are much cheaper today than I expected they would be, the much-faster-than-expected drop in all new and used BEV prices makes it unlikely I'll decide to pick one up.

You Can Get A Rear-Engined BMW With A Carbon Fiber Body For Less Than A Honda Civic

What comes to mind when you think exotic cars? Probably something like a carbon fiber shell and an engine behind the driver. You might be surprised to learn that can have both with a warranty, and it will cost you well under $20,000. These days, the unusual and ultra-efficient BMW i3 is really cheap.

Let’s start with the basics: the body is carbon fiber. Yes, the same material that you find in Formula One racecars and hyper exotics like the McLaren P1. The motor is in the rear and pumps out the electric equivalent of about 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque that is available immediately. This means the little car can scoot to 60 mph in about 7.2 seconds. While that’s not M3 quick, the lightweight and instant power make it a super fun runabout for city and urban driving.

While all that sounds like a hoot, a brand new BMW i3 has a starting price of over $42,000 before you start checking off your options boxes. However, since the first batch of i3 models are just now coming off their three-year lease period and gas is cheap, the market is flooded with super cheap cars, most of which have a BMW Certified Pre-Owned warranty.

Some careful shopping could land you one of these carbon fiber electric hatchbacks for less than $16,000...

Now the downside is that these early i3 models had an effective range of about 83 miles. So it really only worked for people scooting around town or didn’t have to drive far to work. If you wanted to go a bit further you could get a gasoline Range Extender model but that will set you back closer to $20,000...
http://jalopnik.com/you-can-get-a-rear-engined-bmw-with-a-carbon-fiber-body-1795331183

This seems like reason TO buy a BEV not why not to buy one.

Tom Moloughney's review of his new i3 Sport, via IEVS:
BMW i3 Sport One-Month Review
https://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-sport-one-month-review/

Owing to the increased range, he opted for the straight BEV instead of the REx he had before. He also says the more powerful motor in the Sport noticeably improves freeway acceleration above 40 mph, with the Sport pulling well up to 90 where the older car would flatten out above 60 or so; he also likes the stiffer suspension and improved traction control and its interaction with regenerative braking. His basic conclusion is that this is what BMW should have offered back in 2014.

Back