So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2013 S 54K miles, still have 12 bars. Bought off the lease in May as Nissan gave me $7500 off the residual making the car well below $20K after all the incentives and discount. In Northern California winter winter (never snow, coldest just above freezing) from 80% charge with heater I get 35 miles to below low battery warning ~12-15% charge left. That's going 80+ mph on freeway. In summer now the same trip leaves me 25-30% charge.

I live in Glens Falls Ny and I have a 2013 S with 48k miles. I drive 44 miles one way to work. A mix 30 miles highway ay 75mph 14 miles back country at 45mph. I charge at home and I charge at work. Twice a day. I have full capacity bars and have only noticed a 5% loss of range since new. I use to get to work with 43% when new in Nov 2013 and today oct 2016 I got there with 38%. I always charge to full twice a day. Never been hotter then 6 bars. The trip home at night I usually get home with 30% no heat just headlights and foot too the floor. I drive very aggressive commuting at night. It's so zippy and I hope I hit a deer so they can total it and I can get my gap insurance to cover the ridiculous depreciation.

In the winter heated seat and heat set to 60 on 2. I usually get too work during the day at 3 with 35% and 4 bars and home at midnight with heat and depending on how cold (below zero) 20%-15%. I've seen 1 bar only once it's usually always plugged in and when parked for extended periods always 50%.

Always parked outside and I beat the **** out of it. Best Commute car I've ever owned. Nothing breaks, I got a good battery thank god, and it saves me a butt load on gas money. I hardly noticed a change in my power bill. Almost 3 years driving it. Hopefully the battery doesn't tank this winter.

I am still having the range indicated increasing at every charge on my 2014 S that I purchased three weeks ago with 16,500 miles on it. I have 105 miles indicated on a full charge now and get the low battery warning after around 90 miles of driving on 45 to 65 mph mixed roadways.

Free charging at work so I am saving around $50 to $70 per week over driving my old V6 powered van.

2012 SL with 28,000 miles and 11 capacity bars travelled 64 miles on Sunday before the Low Battery warning came on. I think I must be close to only having 10 capacity bars. My LEAF covers the majority of my annual miles. I still have my old minivan for a couple of long range trips each year.

2012 SL with 25600 miles and 10/12 bars. I drive every day, my work commute is 20 miles one way, mostly highway at 60-70mph and then 45mph roads to the office. I usually make it home with about 15-20 miles remaining, depending on how bad the traffic jams are during the commute. Hoping I'll have the 2 bars dropped before next december.

Hello guys. I imported there 2 mois my nissan Leaf SV 2014 in Africa in a country named Togo. Si I decided to post a series a tests I started to measure my range under certains conditions.

My test number give the results :

Range : 96,25 miles fully charged and one bar remaining with low battery sign. I did not push it to the limits.
Outside temp average : 80 f
Drive mode : B
AC : 30% of the total distance with AC one.
Average speed : 31 miles : hr
Charging option : 220 volts domestic

I think it is not bad. I will try another test next week. ;)

Regards,

Pape

2011 Nissan LEAF SL -- but bought NEW 2/22/2013 (this vehicle sat on the dealership showroom floor for 2ish years because no one in a primarily agricultural area wanted a "glorified golf cart or wind-up car".
Current Miles: 16,500
Current Real-World trip range: 52 miles, with NOTHING ELSE using electricity except for the drive train.
Real-World trip range when new: 68 miles
Have lost 2 bars on the high voltage battery status meter
Level 2 charger in my garage, and when fully charged, the SUPPOSED trip range showing on the dash is 80 miles, but it drops quickly by 6 to 8 miles, once I have driven about 1 mile at 35mph.

I have VEHEMENTLY complained to Nissan, only to get the idiotic response that to even come close to achieving the ADVERTISED TRIP RANGE, the LEAF should be driven in the 35 to 40 miles per hour speed range. I called BS on that stupid response.
If Nissan told the buying public that BS, they would be lucky to sell ONE LEAF annually.

Because I must commute regularly 24 miles each way, and the highway is the only viable route, and there are no charging options at my destination, my TRIP RANGE ANXIETY is OFF THE CHARTS! I feel TOTALLY CONNED by NISSAN.

How are you measuring range? Hopefully you are not relying in the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) too much. There are many threads here about how the GOM seems designed to install range anxiety.

Try this:
1) Charge to 100%
2) Drive to VLBW (the second Low Battery Charge warning)

What range do you get? What is your efficiency (miles/kWh)?

Without knowing any more than you posted, it could well be that your car has far more range than you are using. As the battery degrades, the range is taken "off the top". In other words, the amount of energy below LBW (the first Low Battery Warning) seems to be constant as the battery ages. This exaggerates the amount of energy lost above LBW.

I own a 2012 SL with 30200 miles. It's currently around 40 degrees in the morning when I leave for work. I leave 100% charged by using the standard 120V charger plugged into a standard house outlet. Range starts out showing anywhere from low 70s to low 80s, depending on temperature. I mostly use the seat heater and steering wheel heater. I also use Climate Control before leaving. I have a 40 mile round trip with no charging stations on the way or at work. I live on the mountain and work in the valley. It's roughly 3 miles to get to the bottom and 3 miles back up (pretty steep grade). I almost always 99% drive in ECO mode. 6 different roads used with speed limits ranging from 25 mph to 65 mph. When I arrive back home, I usually have between 20-30 miles of range left, depending on how I drove and how much I used the Climate Control. Typically not using the Climate Control more than 5-10 minutes one way.

Just for your information. During 30 000 mile period you wasted 2000kWh of electricity due to
using 120V for charging which has triple amount of inefficiency while charging (compared with 240V).

For me it is half EVSE price. Don't know how much electricity costs for you.
Also you charge 3 times longer due to 120V compared with 240V.

when my SOC reads 56% with an average of 4.3 miles/Kwh my range shows 50 miles in warm weather. If I calculate the range I get 57 miles. Does this tell me anything about my battery condition? Dash is showing 12 bars still on my 2013 leaf with 39,000 miles.

2012 bought last year with 30,000+ miles from Duarte Nissan in Duarte, CA. $9,100.00 cash. 10/12 bars. GOM usually says 64-82 miles charged. 40 mile range on freeway. Don't use the air or the heater EVER. Have had to use the seat and steering wheel warmer to be able to drive-fingers were stiff from the cold.... Gonna be long hot summer here is So Cal. 60 mile range on streets MOST of the time. Have gotten down to just lines more times than I can count. But still haven't had to call a tow truck. I took it in because I couldn't get anywhere-they had it for a week and told me that I can get the mileage if I baby it? What 35 on the fwy? I'm driving 55 on the fwy with people honking at me and giving me the finger.
Have been lied to by Nissan from day one. The Nissan EV dept. says I don't own the car and that I have to prove it?? Was given a charger with the car that I couldn't plug in at my place... Was told that I could charge for free at Nissan dealers... Salesman said it would get 80-100 miles...
Was in downtown LA when I found out that my Carwings didn't work anymore... Have to rent a car about once a month to get where I need to go...
Didn't know one thing about electric cars--well that has changed! I still like my little Leaf-but probably would not have bought it if I had been told the truth about the vehicle. It's been an experience.
On the plus side, now I buy and sell EV chargers so am making a little $ on the side-one of the first things I learned was that you need a back-up charger-and so does every other EV owner. And the zero emissons of course. :D
If you're looking for a charger contact me!

Don't use the air or the heater EVER.

You should be able to use the A/C, with the temp set up around 78F and the fan on Low or 2. All Leafs of all years have minimal range loss with A/C use. Your heater is another matter: if you don't already have a Heat Off switch installed, you need one.

I have a 2014 S with ~86% SOH and 16,000 miles. Purchased it two months ago.

For the most part my range is pretty much as estimated/marketed, which is 0.86 X 84miles = 72 miles in South Florida I use the AC in the afternoons (set at 74F), and generally don't try too hard to conserve energy. I'm a natural feather-foot though, so that helps.

My daily commute is 42 miles round trip - with ~15 miles between 55-70mph, 10 miles between 35-55mph, and the rest above 70mph on the freeway. Takes exactly 60% charge to do this.

When I bought the car I had to drive it 60 miles back home on the freeway. I got behind a truck and stuck to the speed limit. Made it home with around 7% battery left. That was a stressful introduction to range anxiety.

On a trip this week I drove 44 miles of mixed speeds btwn 35-55mph on exactly 51% charge. I only had 60% to start out, so I really watched my acceleration and kept the AC off.

Weekend around town driving (<45 mph) can easily yield greater than 100 miles and > 5 miles per kWhr if I use simple hypermiling techniques that allowed me to get 40mpg or better on my old saturn. I usually don't worry about it unless I'm challenging myself, though. The car's too fun to drive.

I'm in uk and have been testing my 2017 reg leaf tekna done 150 miles so far and average about 4.7m/kwh though have been above 5. As a little test today I took the leaf out on 100% charge and used the hilliest route up from me to a moors road then back home 31 miles used 21% battery. I use b mode + eco and to be fair these country roads don't let you get above 55 at best. But so far on this drive and others I am seeing a genuine potential for 130 plus miles eg extrapolating today's figures over 100% would equal 147 miles.
In uk tekna uses 17" wheels and has a lower drag coefficient .28 as opposed to .29 on all other models and a slightly higher top speed of 89mph rather than 88.mph so it may factor in. Also the 3rd blue dash light was still flashing so may have been under 100% charged by small amount 1 or 2 percent.
Don't get me wrong I don't judge by the guessometer at all as but had 10 bars still showing though suspect 10 will disappear in around 5 or 6 miles.
Next week I am driving from Middlesbrough to Scarborough which is a 94 mile round trip be very hilly be interested in the half way point to see what percentage battery used and left for return. Will start at 100% proper.

So I've been doing research. My wife, and I are looking into buying a Leaf. We have an offer for a 2014 SV with 25 K on it for $12,500 out the door. My question is the range. We are getting a new car one way or another. Her new job is 72 - 81 miles round trip, depending on which of three routes she takes. We've been told the range is 84 miles, and 107 if we use eco boost all the way. Two of the three ways to work are back roads, so she'll be using the regenerative brakes more than the third way which is highway. Also we plan on getting the level 2 charger installed in our garage. My question is will she be able to make it to work round trip? Now there is a charging station on the way, and one literally a mile down the road on the same street she works at the dealership (not the one we're buying from). Both are Level 2 chargers. But of course charging would take time out of her day.

The plan is for her to leave with a full charge, get home, and plug in. Will she be able to make it? Will she make it in cold weather?

Or, should we wait for the 2018 with is rumored to have a range of anywhere from 180 - 200 miles?

BillCT said:
Will she be able to make it? Will she make it in cold weather?

Or, should we wait for the 2018 with is rumored to have a range of anywhere from 180 - 200 miles?

Wait!

The range you are being told of this 2014 is optimistic. The battery is approximately 3 years old. There are many factors affecting deterioration like its location, temperature and usage. And many factors affecting your range directly, like cold weather and elevation. Regen only gives a portion of the amount used to get to the speed to start with.

Using the LeafSpy program will tell you the health of a specific vehicle, but even for a model in good shape that is quite a distance to drive assuming the range will drop with aging. I would advise on not purchasing this vehicle for an 80 miles round trip. I think you will find she needs to charge at work to be able to make the trip home.

BillCT said:
So I've been doing research. My wife, and I are looking into buying a Leaf. We have an offer for a 2014 SV with 25 K on it for $12,500 out the door. My question is the range. We are getting a new car one way or another. Her new job is 72 - 81 miles round trip, depending on which of three routes she takes. We've been told the range is 84 miles, and 107 if we use eco boost all the way. Two of the three ways to work are back roads, so she'll be using the regenerative brakes more than the third way which is highway. Also we plan on getting the level 2 charger installed in our garage. My question is will she be able to make it to work round trip? Now there is a charging station on the way, and one literally a mile down the road on the same street she works at the dealership (not the one we're buying from). Both are Level 2 chargers. But of course charging would take time out of her day.

The plan is for her to leave with a full charge, get home, and plug in. Will she be able to make it? Will she make it in cold weather?

You should wait and get the 2018. The 2014 would be a stretch on a good summer day with very very conservative driving to be able to make it. Winter time, no way. The rumor mill has the 2018 Leaf with a 40kwh battery and a Japanese rated range of 200 miles which will translate to US speeds and distances of about 160 miles. That is the guesstimate we have at the moment. But certainly worth the wait and should be able to do that 80 mile round trip and give you a little buffer over time as the battery degrades to still make the trip for years to come.

Sadly there are too many people selling Leaf's that don't know what they are talking about, or they are lying. If you were talking a 50 mile round trip then I would say you could probably do that year around, but 80 miles I don't think that is realistic. Especially with a car that already has some use and normal degradation of the battery that original rated range is no longer in reach as the battery degrades.

The Leaf is a great car if your expectations are realistic and you understand both the pros and cons of the car and are willing to adapt to the driving style that is more fitting of an EV.

Agreed. The dealership was lying about the range. Lease - don't buy - a 2017 Leaf, and if it suits you well and the battery holds up well, you can buy it when the lease ends. Otherwise you can move on and won't be stuck with a car with inadequate range.

BillCT said:
We've been told the range is 84 miles, and 107 if we use eco boost all the way.

These numbers match perfectly against the EPA rated range of the 2014 (84 miles) and the 2017 (107 miles). This seems too much to be a coincidence to me. The 107 miles is NOT the "eco boost" range, but the range of a different car (with a larger battery!).

I agree with others. Wait for the 2018. Nissan will likely have some good lease offers. Take them, see how you like the car. You can always buy it out at the end. I personally would not lease a 2017 for an 80 mile round-trip commute. But then I live where there are cold winters, which dramatically cut your range, even with the improved heat pump heater.

Back