Rookie mistake. Left it at 96 percent charge. Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webeleafowners

He folks. We are new owners of a 2016 SV 30KW. Recently read here that it is not a good idea to leave the battery charge to a high level for a long storage period. Our car will be stored for the next 8 weeks at around 7 degrees celcius (about 45 degrees F) and it is at 96 percent. I suppose I could have someone go over and run it down to 80 percent or so but that would be a bit of a pain. How much damage does this do for a period of time like this. Thanks in advance.

John and Angela

Can you remotely start the heat?

I once left a 2012 4 weeks at about 90% at around 65F. There was not noticeable impact until we return it at 23000 miles.

If it's cold where the car is, it should be ok - that 96% indicated is more like 90% actual. If you want to run it down to 90% indicated with the heater, 20 minutes should do it. Why can't you do it remotely?

LeftieBiker said:
If it's cold where the car is, it should be ok - that 96% indicated is more like 90% actual. If you want to run it down to 90% indicated with the heater, 20 minutes should do it. Why can't you do it remotely?

We scooped a left over 2016 long distance. We bought it but didn't have a chance to enter the code into the panel thingy so we can't access it remotely. It's about 8 weeks before we get back. It will be in cool temps until we get back.

Thank you. That puts our minds at ease.

Small mistake that is even smaller due to cold temperature. Hope Leaf is not plugged in.
Imagine losing 0,01-0.1% of capacity due to that high state of charge. Isn't really measurable ;)

When you get back battery will be slightly depleted due to periodic 12V battery recharge.
Would be nice to hear from you how many percents was lost with 2 months.
Have a nice year change :D

Periodic charging of 12-volt battery takes very little. I parked at the office on 11/28 and returned on 12/21 to find the SOC essentially the same as when parked. Your storage temperature is low so don't worry about the battery. Enjoy the new car when you get back up north.

Gerry

despite what you have read here, no one knows how bad your battery will be when you get home but one thing is for certain. it will be worse off. how much?

you said you can have someone run the battery down for you so I have to ask; what is stopping you? The recommended SOC for long term storage is about 40-50%. I would get that done asap

Many charge their Leaf to 100% every night. And the do not see any meaningful faster degradation compared to 80% users.

We are NOT talking about 2011/2012 Leafs and not talking about warm packs.

Keeping charge at 100% does less harm than driving once per day and charging to 100% and keeping it there for the rest of the day.
Therefore those who charge to 100% after every trip should have more degradation than anybody just keeping battery at 100%.

Shelf+cycle degradation vs shelf degradation without cycles. Notice not 80% cycles but full 4.14V cycles.

96% is much less than 100%. Which on its own is far from real 100%.

Like I said, 0.01%-0.1% degradation is expected in those two months.

2½ year Leaf owner, 5% degradation, 45 000 miles, chilly climate.

One more opinion, based on my experience.

In the winter, I have always had my battery at 100% whether I leave it for 1 day or 14. But as I live in Maine it is never exposed to hot temps! My battery temp gauge has gotten to the line below the red zone several times after longer trips with multiple Chademo charges at 90F. But it lives near the bottom during the winter. I worry more about the battery heater needing to come on.
Nissan says to keep it plugged in very cold temps. I have no way to keep it plugged in and stop the charging at 60%. Carwings allows one to override a charge timer and START charging but not to stop it.
After almost 3 years and 52,000 miles the battery has not lost a bar. By other measures I estimate having lost 3-5% capacity max.

I know there were many degradation problems with the 2011-13 Leafs. Is this really a concern with the newer batteries though?

DaveinOlyWA said:
despite what you have read here, no one knows how bad your battery will be when you get home but one thing is for certain. it will be worse off. how much?

you said you can have someone run the battery down for you so I have to ask; what is stopping you? The recommended SOC for long term storage is about 40-50%. I would get that done asap
I agree. Get it done.

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I agree. Get it done.

Well, it's probably fine but Ill have a friend of mine stop in and run the heater for 15 or 20 minutes. That'll take the edge off....both the battery and me. Thanks for all the replies. This is a great board.

IBeLeaf2 said:

In the winter, I have always had my battery at 100% whether I leave it for 1 day or 14. But as I live in Maine it is never exposed to hot temps! My battery temp gauge has gotten to the line below the red zone several times after longer trips with multiple Chademo charges at 90F. But it lives near the bottom during the winter. I worry more about the battery heater needing to come on.
Nissan says to keep it plugged in very cold temps. I have no way to keep it plugged in and stop the charging at 60%. Carwings allows one to override a charge timer and START charging but not to stop it.
After almost 3 years and 52,000 miles the battery has not lost a bar. By other measures I estimate having lost 3-5% capacity max.

I know there were many degradation problems with the 2011-13 Leafs. Is this really a concern with the newer batteries though?

heater will not run until it drops down to around 1 temperature bar. You can't force it on too unfortunately.

I do the same. The colder it is the more often I need 100% charge. And in cold weather almost no degradation.

You can keep it unplugged. If it gets really cold heater will switch on and drain the battery. That requires like -15C for 2days and NO DRIVING.

arnis said:
IBeLeaf2 said:

heater will not run until it drops down to around 1 temperature bar. You can't force it on too unfortunately.

I do the same. The colder it is the more often I need 100% charge. And in cold weather almost no degradation.

You can keep it unplugged. If it gets really cold heater will switch on and drain the battery. That requires like -15C for 2days and NO DRIVING.

So if I read your message right, turning the heater on will not bring the battery down a bit? I just checked the temp where it is and it is minus 1 C.

webeleafowners said:
Well, it's probably fine but Ill have a friend of mine stop in and run the heater for 15 or 20 minutes. That'll take the edge off....both the battery and me.
That's not going to take it down much. If let's say the cabin heater ran at full 6 kW for an entire 30 minutes, only 3 kWh would've come out of the battery. It may not draw 6 kW the entire or much of the time. There are about 21 to 22 kWh user accessible on a new 24 kwh Leaf.

Perhaps run it for 1 hour or more, or have them drive, esp. on the highway. I'd bring it down to 80% or lower, but that's just me.

webeleafowners said:
arnis said:
IBeLeaf2 said:

So if I read your message right, turning the heater on will not bring the battery down a bit? I just checked the temp where it is and it is minus 1 C.
I think arnis is referring to the battery heaters not the cabin heater. Over on this coast we do get to -15C every winter. So that's a real possibility for me.

webeleafowners said:
cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I agree. Get it done.

Well, it's probably fine but Ill have a friend of mine stop in and run the heater for 15 or 20 minutes. That'll take the edge off....both the battery and me. Thanks for all the replies. This is a great board.

that is not gonna cut it. I would do no less than 2 hours and even that is barely getting to where you need to be....

cwerdna said:
webeleafowners said:
Well, it's probably fine but Ill have a friend of mine stop in and run the heater for 15 or 20 minutes. That'll take the edge off....both the battery and me.
That's not going to take it down much. If let's say the cabin heater ran at full 6 kW for an entire 30 minutes, only 3 kWh would've come out of the battery. It may not draw 6 kW the entire or much of the time. There are about 21 to 22 kWh user accessible on a new 24 kwh Leaf.

Perhaps run it for 1 hour or more, or have them drive, esp. on the highway. I'd bring it down to 80% or lower, but that's just me.

yeah, sitting in a garage, its gonna run at 4.5 Kwh (i think that is near the max) but only for 10 mins or so. you are hampered by having an efficient heater. you literally need to set the temp to 90 (or however high it goes) and run it 3-4 hours with all the windows down

Back