2016 30 kWh Battery data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jbuntz said:
Yesterday I drove to the dealer to drop off the Leaf and I covered 64.5 miles at 51 mph avg. the GOM showed 33 miles remaining. For those with a 100% 30kWh battery what would you expect to have remains. Also how many miles does it show on a full charge?!
There's little point in discussing the GOM: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=271853#p271853.

What was the net elevation gain/loss between the two points? You can use Google Earth for that (https://priuschat.com/threads/google-earth-can-give-you-an-elevation-profile-of-a-route-between-2-points.100653/).

The amount it will have at full charge will depend on how efficiently it was driven for some unknown period of time before the car's charged. If you want high GOM values, drive down a long steep grade or tow charge the car then charge at the bottom of the hill. Want a low GOM value? Drive really fast and very aggressively w/the accelerator up a steep hill in the rain w/underinflated tires while having the heater blasting on full. Charge at the top of a hill.

Sendler, I reset the dashboard statistics before I left home.

5:30 pm drive from New Braunfels, TX to Town North Nissan Austin, I averaged 3.9 miles per kWh at a 51.8 avg mph. Given 27.5kWh estimated capacity of the advertised 30kWh battery that should be good for 107.25 miles.

From the 64.5 miles on the trip plus the 34 left on the GOM that is about 99 miles in capacity or 99/107.5 or 92%. The GOM was rising at the end of the trip due to slower traffic.

The battery level upon arrival at Town North was 30% or 70% used in 64.5 miles 64.5/.7 = 92 miles capacity

92 miles /3.9 miles per kWh = 23.62 kWh total battery capacity

23.62kWh out of a new 27.5(30)kWh battery = 85% of new battery capacity.

This aligns very well with Leaf Spy showing 69.43 Ah, 87% SOH and 315 GIDs out of 360

On a new 100% battery if I drove 64.5 miles divided by 3.9 miles per kWh I should have used 16.5 kWh and should have 11 kWh left or 40% on the dash and I am only seeing 30%.

Do you see any problems with my math?

So far the dealer has told it is within spec and that if I have an issue to take it up with Nissan. Nissan says if they sold you a car that is old and they represented it as new then it is the dealers problem.

Doesn't buying a new leaf that has been sitting around on a dealer lot, with the battery not having had the best of care (as is likely to occur on a dealer lot) actually work in your favor? Because the capacity warranty "clock" starts at retail delivery, it seems this will give you a better shot at getting a warranty replacement pack. A 30kwh pack has an eight year capacity warranty, getting a new pack in 7-8 years sounds like an ideal scenario, carrying you to the 16 year time frame where cars are pretty much done for anyway.

Reporting in after slightly more than a month and 2700 miles; stats are the same.

363 GIDs
28.1 kwh available
82.34 ahr
100% SOH
Hx from 94 to 102%

The top 4 numbers did vary a bit during a lull of activity including an ahr under 81.

it would seem readily apparent that this pack is much more reactionary to driving/charging habits than my 24 kwh pack was.

I would be really happy with those numbers on my 30kWh battery. You can get 15 miles more than mine at 4mile per kW

GIDs = 316
Ah=69.35
SOH=87%
24.4kWh
hx=84.39

Hello,

Is the part number for the 2016 battery ; 4NP4A (with serial number) or is it 4NP1A (ev/hev) ? Or is this just a partial of the full part number?

From this wiki url, a 2015 battery replacement into a 2011 with parts shows: http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery#Battery_specs

These are the parts used when replacing a HV battery pack on a 2011-2012 LEAF with a 2015 "Lizard" battery pack.

1 748N2-3NF0A COVER BATTERY
1 748N3-3NF0A COVER BATTERY
1 295B0-3NF9E BATTERY ASMY
2 749D0-3NF1A BRKT ASMY-BAT M
4 01125-N0111 BOLT
1 24220-7S020 CLIP
1 297C1-3NF0A SWITCH-DISCONNE

So, comparing across, is the 2015 battery p/n 3NF9E the equiv to the 2016 battery p/n 4NP4A ??

rt84vhf said:
Turbo3 said:
I think it would be a good idea if everyone with a 30kWh battery ran the latest test version of LeafSpy Pro and posted their battery serial number, Leaf Date of manufacture from driver's door opening and battery specifications (SOH, Ahr, Hx) from LeafSpy. That might reveal a pattern of good and not so good batches of batteries.

These are from our other SV.
Date of Mfg: 05/16
AHr: 76.81 (at 60.3% SOC)
SOH: 96 (I've seen this move around a lot as well)
Hx: 91.77
odo: 2420 mi
last 6 of vin: 312298
Battery serial: 230SM11658000842
EzcdjgG.png

NL3J5O5.png

Date of Mfg: 11/15
AHr: 69.51 (at 96.8% SOC)
SOH: 87
Hx: 84.52
odo: 870 mi
last 6 of vin: 303765
Battery serial: ?? I am using iPhone & wifi and it seems like it is missing some screens.

jbuntz said:
Given 27.5kWh estimated capacity of the advertised 30kWh battery.
Out of curiosity, where does this 27.5 kWh come from? Tony Williams at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293 assumes 26.5 kWh usable. I don't know if he's right or what the actual/approximate usable should be on a 30 kWh pack.

LTLFTcomposite said:
A 30kwh pack has an eight year capacity warranty, getting a new pack in 7-8 years sounds like an ideal scenario, carrying you to the 16 year time frame where cars are pretty much done for anyway.

There is one little but important unknown still, which is when those bars start to drop wrt AHr/SOH.

cwerdna said:
jbuntz said:
Out of curiosity, where does this 27.5 kWh come from? Tony Williams at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293 assumes 26.5 kWh usable. I don't know if he's right or what the actual/approximate usable should be on a 30 kWh pack.

I have 28.1 usable.

jbuntz said:
Yesterday I drove to the dealer to drop off the Leaf and I covered 64.5 miles at 51 mph avg. the GOM showed 33 miles remaining. For those with a 100% 30kWh battery what would you expect to have remains. Also how many miles does it show on a full charge?!

your statement tells us just about nothing.

did you reset your miles/kwh before the trip? what did it say?

how long did you idle (average mph is useless because of this)

how was the weather? wind? elevation change?

how did you cover those 64 miles? what was your maximum speed? average means nothing without total driving time or time on city streets

DaveinOlyWA said:
Reporting in after slightly more than a month and 2700 miles; stats are the same.

363 GIDs
28.1 kwh available
82.34 ahr
100% SOH
Hx from 94 to 102%

The top 4 numbers did vary a bit during a lull of activity including an ahr under 81.

it would seem readily apparent that this pack is much more reactionary to driving/charging habits than my 24 kwh pack was.

Interesting that you only show 363 GIDs with an 82 AH battery. My guess is that 363 is a hardwired max value and you won't show any loss in GIDs until the battery drops below 78-79 AH. With the cooler weather in Washington, your battery should last a bit longer than most. It might be that these batteries just age badly irregardless of the weather or the charge state. It looks like a lot of cars that were just sitting on the lot are showing similar losses so it could just be age of the battery rather than usage or temps. In any case it looks like Nissan screwed up and is going to be replacing a lot of batteries.

Seems they may have had a bad batch of 30kwh packs early on which has affected some of the first 2016 Leaf SV/SLs produced. At least that's what it looks like after reading this whole thread.

Ok it's the first of the year and I'm at 20,000 miles. Battery stat's have actually improved slightly to 70.04AH and SOH=88%. The cooler weather seems to agree with the battery. The loss in range is noticeable but not significant. I'm arriving home with 35-40% battery capacity instead of 45-50%. I expect that the battery might be stable until Apr-May when the weather warms up again.

johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

363 GIDs
28.1 kwh available
82.34 ahr
100% SOH
Hx from 94 to 102%

Interesting that you only show 363 GIDs with an 82 AH battery. My guess is that 363 is a hardwired max value and you won't show any loss in GIDs until the battery drops below 78-79 AH. With the cooler weather in Washington, your battery should last a bit longer than most. It might be that these batteries just age badly irregardless of the weather or the charge state. It looks like a lot of cars that were just sitting on the lot are showing similar losses so it could just be age of the battery rather than usage or temps. In any case it looks like Nissan screwed up and is going to be replacing a lot of batteries.

what would be your estimate of GIDs then? assuming no restrictions?

DaveinOlyWA said:
johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

363 GIDs
28.1 kwh available
82.34 ahr
100% SOH
Hx from 94 to 102%

what would be your estimate of GIDs then? assuming no restrictions?
I think the value for 82AH ought to be around 380 GIDs based on 82 AH X 360 VDC = 29520 wh / 77.5 w per GID = 380.9 GIDs. 78 AH would give 362 GIDs using the same formula. Either the AH value is off or the number of GIDs is off. The KWH value is calculated from the GIDs value and whatever you select as w/GID in Leafspy. If I'm right, you should not see any change in the GIDs value until the AHr value drops below 78.

I started out at about 79.5 AHr last December and didn't see any drop in the GIDs value until April. I really wasn't paying a lot of attention to the AHr values back then. Probably should go back and look at them again if I have recorded them from that far back.

DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:
jbuntz said:

I have 28.1 usable.
Based upon what? If it's what Leaf Spy says, I suspect that value that you're looking at is based upon the Wh/gids setting that defaults to 77.5. If you raise that, then for a given state of charge, the kWh indicator will go up. If you lower it, it'll go down. Try it.

We have no idea what that setting really should be and what caveats there are about its accuracy, what ranges/conditions it's not accurate or what ranges are where you should use a different Wh/gids constant.

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:

I have 28.1 usable.
Based upon what? If it's what Leaf Spy says, I suspect that value that you're looking at is based upon the Wh/gids setting that defaults to 77.5. If you raise that, then for a given state of charge, the kWh indicator will go up. If you lower it, it'll go down. Try it.

We have no idea what that setting really should be and what caveats there are about its accuracy, what ranges/conditions it's not accurate or what ranges are where you should use a different Wh/gids constant.

ok. right now I don't know what LEAF Spy is set on but its been on same setting for years and I believe it is 77.5. so should I set it to 80?

On Dec 30, 2016 I just bought (not leased) a 2017 SV with Premium Package Pearl White with black interior.

Recent Manufacture date of 11/16.
On an "old" version of Leaf Spy Lite:
AHr = 81.32 and HLTH =97.24

I hope to get the latest version of Leaf Spy Pro soon so I can read the battery serial number and get more accurate details

P.s. I got $7000 off MSRP + $3000 Nissan Rebate on an end of month, end of year deal.

P.s.s. I plan to sell my 2011 Leaf with 62000 miles and still fairly new battery received under warranty (went from AHr 66.14 to 62.23 recently). What do you think is a fair price?

Back