2016 30 kWh Battery data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I have 28.1 usable.
Based upon what? If it's what Leaf Spy says, I suspect that value that you're looking at is based upon the Wh/gids setting that defaults to 77.5. If you raise that, then for a given state of charge, the kWh indicator will go up. If you lower it, it'll go down. Try it.

We have no idea what that setting really should be and what caveats there are about its accuracy, what ranges/conditions it's not accurate or what ranges are where you should use a different Wh/gids constant.

ok. right now I don't know what LEAF Spy is set on but its been on same setting for years and I believe it is 77.5. so should I set it to 80?
It honestly doesn't matter where you set it. It's a calculated value from the GIDs reading. You can't really use it for anything. All the important stuff is calculated from the GIDs (LBW, VLB, turtle, and pack disconnect). Given that the battery is advertised as 30KWH and that there's 4-5% buffer at the top (4.11vdc cell voltage vs 4.17vdc for a fully charged Li-ion battery and 1.37vdc differential between full and empty (2.8vdc)) and a couple of percent at the bottom to avoid killing the battery, 28KWH is a good guess for a new battery. There seems to be a bit of a lottery effect for the battery capacity with as new values reported at 74 to 82 KWH. Build date and/or time on the lot might be affecting this but we don't have enough data yet.

johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:
Based upon what? If it's what Leaf Spy says, I suspect that value that you're looking at is based upon the Wh/gids setting that defaults to 77.5. If you raise that, then for a given state of charge, the kWh indicator will go up. If you lower it, it'll go down. Try it.

We have no idea what that setting really should be and what caveats there are about its accuracy, what ranges/conditions it's not accurate or what ranges are where you should use a different Wh/gids constant.

ok. right now I don't know what LEAF Spy is set on but its been on same setting for years and I believe it is 77.5. so should I set it to 80?
It honestly doesn't matter where you set it. It's a calculated value from the GIDs reading. You can't really use it for anything. All the important stuff is calculated from the GIDs (LBW, VLB, turtle, and pack disconnect). Given that the battery is advertised as 30KWH and that there's 4-5% buffer at the top (4.11vdc cell voltage vs 4.17vdc for a fully charged Li-ion battery and 1.37vdc differential between full and empty (2.8vdc)) and a couple of percent at the bottom to avoid killing the battery, 28KWH is a good guess for a new battery. There seems to be a bit of a lottery effect for the battery capacity with as new values reported at 74 to 82 KWH. Build date and/or time on the lot might be affecting this but we don't have enough data yet.

27.4 kwh seems to be holding that top end value for the last month.
AHr 77.58
soh 97%
Hx 92.63%
1500 km
61 L2's ( used the timer a lot & re-plugged when checking the circ. pump etc.)
Build date 09/16
Vehicle delivered under wraps w/ 90 kms approx p/up less than 24 H from lot
Soc upon delivery 35%

johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:

It honestly doesn't matter where you set it. It's a calculated value from the GIDs reading. You can't really use it for anything.
Agree w/John.

well all this is interesting and the reason why LS was set on 77.5 escapes me but in the early days I had it on 80 wh because that was the original value. So can I assume this accounted for the differences in readings between my 2011 and 2013? which were quite minor really. I also did not have LS on delivery with the 2011?

1 month update

Purchased: 12/17/2016
Date of Mfg: 11/15/2015
last 6 of vin: 303765

12/23/2016
AHr: 68.93
SOH: 86
Hx: 83.96
odo: 598 mi 2 QC & 27 L2

12/26/2016
GIDs = 316
Ah=69.35
SOH=87%
24.4kWh
hx=84.39
ODO: 717 3 QC & 30 L2

01/16/2017
GIDs = 327
Ah=71.63
SOH=90%
25.3kWh @ 77.5Wh/GID
hx=86.59
ODO: 1,561 3 QC & 57 L2

Recently I ran it down to turtle and charged back to 100% and that seemed to help, but the numbers have been very slowly improving since purchase. When I ran it down to turtle I had covered 97mi, but that was very unscientific since some of the time was at 75-80 mph and then when I thought I might not make it home I took a back road at 35-40 for the last several miles.

One thing I have noticed is that 1% capacity on the dash tracks pretty close with 1 mile on the trip meter, so at 50% capacity I have traveled close to 50 mi.

Just wanted to paste this here for the record. Here is another 30kWh battery with an issue from day one. One cell is clearly much weaker than the others and Nissan refuses to do anything about it because even at 680mv imbalance it still doesn't turn the MIL light on. But the weak cell bottoms out and turtles the car while the rest of the pack still has 25% so he can't make his range.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22667&start=100#p481487
Pleas read the other thread in it's entirety before offering helpful suggestions and post replies over there as he has already gone through every possible step to resolve this and is going to end up in buyback court.

jbuntz said:
1 month update

Purchased: 12/17/2016
Date of Mfg: 11/15/2015
last 6 of vin: 303765

12/23/2016
AHr: 68.93
SOH: 86
Hx: 83.96
odo: 598 mi 2 QC & 27 L2

12/26/2016
GIDs = 316
Ah=69.35
SOH=87%
24.4kWh
hx=84.39
ODO: 717 3 QC & 30 L2

01/16/2017
GIDs = 327
Ah=71.63
SOH=90%
25.3kWh @ 77.5Wh/GID
hx=86.59
ODO: 1,561 3 QC & 57 L2

Recently I ran it down to turtle and charged back to 100% and that seemed to help, but the numbers have been very slowly improving since purchase. When I ran it down to turtle I had covered 97mi, but that was very unscientific since some of the time was at 75-80 mph and then when I thought I might not make it home I took a back road at 35-40 for the last several miles.

One thing I have noticed is that 1% capacity on the dash tracks pretty close with 1 mile on the trip meter, so at 50% capacity I have traveled close to 50 mi.

If you can, try DC fast charging it from 20% or less several times. That might help some. Your serial # is close to mine and my battery stats are similar as well although I have nearly 21000 miles on the car now. This may be a battery aging problem with the early build batteries since we have several posters with early build cars with similar stats. 1% per mile seems to be a good guestimate for most people and turtle at 95 seems entirely reasonable.

JTim said:
Leaf SV 30 kWh purchased 12/10/15, Delivered 12/16/15
Leaf spy results 1/28/16 (took forever to find an ELM that worked)

Ar=74.5
SOH=93%
Hx=89.12
Odo=13 (at delivery), 547 (current), first trip of 103 miles (with two charge bars remaining, used over a week) 1/20/16
3 QC (the dealer must have done the first two), 13 L1/L2 (one charging event for 5 minutes to test new 240 outlet, all others prior to 1/28/16 were overnight L1).

Couldn't get a picture of the battery balancing bars on screen 1 for some reason, but I they look really out of whack (to me) so cells may be unbalanced.

update, not noted in original:

370.11 V
GIDs 354

average kW= 4.5

L1/L2 =13
QC = 3

2/18/16
GIDs 327, AR 71.55

Update 1/28/17 (1 year anniversary of 1st Leaf Spy check)

ODO 5,593 (Not noted in original post, ODO ODO 571.7)
AHr=66.69
GIDS=191
SOH=83% (370.24V)
kWh=14.86
QC=10, L1/L2=112

As of the end of January my battery is still at 87.6% SOH. 318 GIDs at full charge. I have 21617 miles on the odometer. I suspect that the battery will hold steady for the next couple of months until the temperatures start to rise again. I'm still showing all 12 bars at this point but it can't be long until I lose one. If I lose another 40 GIDs over the summer, I'll be down to 75% capacity after about 35000 miles. I doubt that I'll make it to 60000 miles without a battery replacement. This isn't what I paid for! I can only hope the replacement battery holds up better.

johnlocke said:
As of the end of January my battery is still at 87.6% SOH. 318 GIDs at full charge. I have 21617 miles on the odometer. I suspect that the battery will hold steady for the next couple of months until the temperatures start to rise again. I'm still showing all 12 bars at this point but it can't be long until I lose one. If I lose another 40 GIDs over the summer, I'll be down to 75% capacity after about 35000 miles. I doubt that I'll make it to 60000 miles without a battery replacement. This isn't what I paid for! I can only hope the replacement battery holds up better.

I believe the capacity warranty on 30kwh Leafs has been upgraded to 8yrs/100k miles

rcm4453 said:
johnlocke said:

I believe the capacity warranty on 30kwh Leafs has been upgraded to 8yrs/100k miles
I'm aware of the warranty period. My point was that I'm unlikely to come anywhere near either 8 years or 100,000 miles. It's disappointing to be expecting the battery to fail so early. Even if I get a new battery at 60,000 miles, how long can I expect it to last? Another 60K maybe? When I bought the car, Nissan was promising typically 80% capacity at 8 years or 100,000 miles. I didn't really believe that but I did expect 80-90K before the battery failed. I figured that Nissan expected most of these cars would be driven 10,000 miles or less annually so that 8 years was the limiting factor and Nissan could absorb a few warranty losses on high milage cars. What I'm seeing is battery deterioration similar to the original batteries on the early Leafs. The battery does OK in cool climates but has issues in the South and Southwest. I can only hope that a change to LG cells or some major improvement to Nissan's own cells results in a better replacement battery when the time comes for me to replace my battery.

johnlocke said:
rcm4453 said:
johnlocke said:

I'm aware of the warranty period. My point was that I'm unlikely to come anywhere near either 8 years or 100,000 miles. It's disappointing to be expecting the battery to fail so early. Even if I get a new battery at 60,000 miles, how long can I expect it to last? Another 60K maybe? When I bought the car, Nissan was promising typically 80% capacity at 8 years or 100,000 miles. I didn't really believe that but I did expect 80-90K before the battery failed. I figured that Nissan expected most of these cars would be driven 10,000 miles or less annually so that 8 years was the limiting factor and Nissan could absorb a few warranty losses on high milage cars. What I'm seeing is battery deterioration similar to the original batteries on the early Leafs. The battery does OK in cool climates but has issues in the South and Southwest. I can only hope that a change to LG cells or some major improvement to Nissan's own cells results in a better replacement battery when the time comes for me to replace my battery.

Yeah I'm in the same boat so I agree with what you've said. I got my 2016 Leaf SV a year ago, have 11,500 miles clocked and I too have seen degradation and loss of range beyond what I expected. It's almost as if the first batch of 30kwh batteries used the same crappy chemistry that's in the 2011/2012 batteries, definitely not holding up as good as the lizard batteries. My Mom has a 2015 Leaf and has less degradation then I do and she has 30k miles on her car already. Another friend of mine has a 2013 Leaf with like 55k miles and still has all 12 bars. They don't baby their batteries either, they charge to 100% every day and don't worry about it. It appears the later 2016 30kwh batteries are holding up a bit better then the first early batches, perhaps Nissan did some tweaking who knows. I can't understand why Nissan can't get it right like GM and Tesla have when it comes to the batteries?!? Anyway the only good thing is that I leased so in two years I will be on to bigger & better things!

rcm4453 said:
johnlocke said:
rcm4453 said:

Yeah I'm in the same boat so I agree with what you've said. I got my 2016 Leaf SV a year ago, have 11,500 miles clocked and I too have seen degradation and loss of range beyond what I expected. It's almost as if the first batch of 30kwh batteries used the same crappy chemistry that's in the 2011/2012 batteries, definitely not holding up as good as the lizard batteries. My Mom has a 2015 Leaf and has less degradation then I do and she has 30k miles on her car already. Another friend of mine has a 2013 Leaf with like 55k miles and still has all 12 bars. They don't baby their batteries either, they charge to 100% every day and don't worry about it. It appears the later 2016 30kwh batteries are holding up a bit better then the first early batches, perhaps Nissan did some tweaking who knows. I can't understand why Nissan can't get it right like GM and Tesla have when it comes to the batteries?!? Anyway the only good thing is that I leased so in two years I will be on to bigger & better things!
Yeah, in retrospect I should have leased instead of buying. With the number of miles I clock though it was close to a push and I figured that I might as well have something to show for it after all the payments. I also honestly thought that they gotten the battery figured out what with the lizard battery and a 100K/8 year warranty. I still plan on driving the car for 160K mi. If the replacement battery craps out as quickly as this one, i'll have think carefully whether to buy a new battery and get another 60K out of it or buy something else instead. My original plan was to drive the Leaf for 7-8 years and then get an off-lease Tesla 3 or maybe an older S if the price was right.

Back