JDapter - Tesla charging for your EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am driving a Chevy Bolt from Oregon to San Diego once it is shipped to the dealer from Detroit. I would like to have another option for charging if this is available Tony. Happy to pick up a prototype too.

JPWhite said:
... If Tesla or Tesla owners start getting righteous about the HPWC's and other Tesla EVSE's then the EV movement as whole will be harmed. The last thing we all need is charger wars.
Oh, they get self-righteous all right. There are a couple of threads over on the Tesla forum where they go into full meltdown about how since Tesla supplied the equipment, no other cars should even consider trying to use them and that making an adapter is "illegal". They are completely unpersuaded by the notion that if the site owner says, "OK", then it would be OK.

davewill said:
JPWhite said:
... If Tesla or Tesla owners start getting righteous about the HPWC's and other Tesla EVSE's then the EV movement as whole will be harmed. The last thing we all need is charger wars.
Oh, they get self-righteous all right. There are a couple of threads over on the Tesla forum where they go into full meltdown about how since Tesla supplied the equipment, no other cars should even consider trying to use them and that making an adapter is "illegal". They are completely unpersuaded by the notion that if the site owner says, "OK", then it would be OK.

Yep. Some are too dumb to see even a desire / need for a Tesla owner to use JDapter within their own house for a LEAF or other J1772 car.

Lots of crazy / hate on that site that goes without moderation (if it somehow "favors" Tesla).

reeler said:
I am driving a Chevy Bolt from Oregon to San Diego once it is shipped to the dealer from Detroit. I would like to have another option for charging if this is available Tony. Happy to pick up a prototype too.

Sure. Shoot me an email.

TonyWilliams (((@))) QuickChargePower.com

So what's the intended purpose? If you have a Tesla L2 charger at home for your Tesla but just want to share that connector with the Leaf?

I can't say I have ever seen a Tesla charger anywhere in the wild that wasn't a SuperCharger, which this won't help with. It would be nice if us non-Tesla owners could pay the $2K or $4K to get lifetime supercharging activated to some sort of adapter.

2k1Toaster said:
So what's the intended purpose? If you have a Tesla L2 charger at home for your Tesla but just want to share that connector with the Leaf?

I can't say I have ever seen a Tesla charger anywhere in the wild that wasn't a SuperCharger, which this won't help with. It would be nice if us non-Tesla owners could pay the $2K or $4K to get lifetime supercharging activated to some sort of adapter.

The intended purpose is to allow non tesla vehicles to charge at Tesla destination chargers. There are more Tesla destination chargers than Supercharger bays and the number of destination chargers is set to grow more quickly than superchargers judging by Elon Musk's comments at the Model 3 reveal.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. Destination chargers don't get the media billing superchargers do and tend to be on private property operated by a business such as a motel or B&B.

There is a Tesla destination charger in rural Tennessee. Go to Plugshare and search for "Westmoreland Family Clinic". There are pictures of the installation hung on the side of a building,pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

2k1Toaster said:
I can't say I have ever seen a Tesla charger anywhere in the wild that wasn't a SuperCharger, which this won't help with.
https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging

My work also has 9 Tesla HPWCs, at last check.

I can't edit my last reply but https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-01/tesla-s-model-3-lives-up-to-the-hype from April 1, 2016 says “Slower destination chargers will jump from 3,689 to 15,000.”

There are a couple stretches on that route where chargers are hard to come by. A Tesla destination charger would take 9 hours to do a L2 fill of the Bolt at 7KW, but it could help in a bind. I have the JESLA already with a bunch of adapters.

In my Tesla, the drive is not a problem. Cross-country in a Bolt will be a hassle for a while until the SAE L3 chargers are prevalent.

JPWhite said:
2k1Toaster said:

The intended purpose is to allow non tesla vehicles to charge at Tesla destination chargers. There are more Tesla destination chargers than Supercharger bays and the number of destination chargers is set to grow more quickly than superchargers judging by Elon Musk's comments at the Model 3 reveal.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. Destination chargers don't get the media billing superchargers do and tend to be on private property operated by a business such as a motel or B&B.

There is a Tesla destination charger in rural Tennessee. Go to Plugshare and search for "Westmoreland Family Clinic". There are pictures of the installation hung on the side of a building,pretty much in the middle of nowhere.
The comment raises TWO thoughts;
#1 People who never bothered to LOOK for a thing (whether it be a Tesla destination charger, or a Ford dealership, or a pet shop selling reptiles etc) - then comment, "well, if you ask MEEE .... I never even saw one of those ANY where). ok whatever.
But the main consideration;
#2 Tony is VERY helpful with his goodies. But this one ? As a Tesla owner ... I have VERY bad feeling about this. Who hasn't been in desperate need of a charge due to construction in front a parking structure, plugshare (or chargepoint etc) not knowing a location is inaccessible due to "private" lot only ... "state employees" only, which apps don't necessarily indicate such situations, AND the absolutely worst thing;
(after trolling heavy traffic/one way streets running dangerously low - now Tesla owners can look forward to DOUCHEBAG phev's that don't even need a charge ~ but maybe they can still cram an extra 1 or 2 kWh's to top off for freeeeeee! Then they just camp on a charger ... blocking access so you can't even get access. Just lovely.
Elon Musk now forces Tesla jerk-off inconsiderate dead beats like this to IMMEDIATELY get out NOW from Superchargers, by imposing a 40¢/minute fee -once cars are "full" (only a 5minute grace period) - the fee is imposed on the inconsiderate who are squatting / inconveniencing folks that may actually be waiting in line to get some where. Otherwise the local model x or s owner who'd go to a restaurant (already having 200+ miles in the tank) who uses the supercharger to pick up an extra 20 to 80 miles will go to a 2 hour movie and block others for over 1 1/2 hoiurs, because (s)he doesn't give a rats that YOU and others may truly need to charge.
Yesterday was the Jan. 1st, and while passing thru Oxnard, lo & behold, drivers suddenly disconnected and left - BOOM. End of problem. Really kept things moving. But now? Sorry, this new adapter - the Jdapter spells a renewal of that kind of bad behavior. I'd pay $500 to never see it come into production.

Tesla owns the L3 superchargers, but not the L2 destination chargers. They are given freely to AirBnB hosts and hotels. There is no internet connectivity to the L2 destination chargers so Tesla cannot impose any Fair Access Policy (FAP) like they can on the L3 superchargers.

I think those proprietors with L2 destination chargers could care less if a Tesla or other car brand uses them. They install them to attract visitors. I would bet some buy Tony's adapter themselves.

hill said:
now Tesla owners can look forward to DOUCHEBAG phev's that don't even need a charge ~ but maybe they can still cram an extra 1 or 2 kWh's to top off for freeeeeee!

Congratulations for placing yourself into the very category you attempted to place PHEV drivers into.

Hey folks. I visited the website but get the impression that this item is not actually for sale or available. Was this just a concept thing or was it ever sold. I think I would be interested as kind of a back up to a back thing but alas I don't think they are actually available.

Comments???

webeleafowners said:
Hey folks. I visited the website but get the impression that this item is not actually for sale or available. Was this just a concept thing or was it ever sold. I think I would be interested as kind of a back up to a back thing but alas I don't think they are actually available.

Comments???

We did a complete redesign of some key features, and delayed the actual fund raising launch. Very soon...

@TonyWilliams, I opted to ship my new Bolt straight to Colorado so don't need a JDapter next week. Do could me down for a pre-order. Tesla will give AirBnB hosts a free Wall Adapter so I plan to buy one of these to be able to charge my Bolt too.

You should approach each destination charger host and sell a JDapter to them. Probably not what Tesla wants, but the customers do. If non-Tesla cars could take 80Amps at 240V, the Tesla Wall Adapter would become the new gold standard.

webeleafowners said:
Hi Tony and thanks for the reply. Please get in touch with me when your product is ready. It sounds interesting. Good luck with your efforts.

John and Angela.

Please shoot an email to:

Sales (((@))) QuickChargePower.com

Saw this today http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/19/diginow-super-charger-v2-tesla-ev/ its for an adapter to use Tesla Destination Chargers with any j1772 plug.

It looks like the kit you will need the is Tesla plug adapter $80-$100 and the j1772 handle another $200 but the article also states the Tesla Adapter is $350 so I am a little confused about the wording of the plug adapter.

Tony when you adapter is ready for primetime it will simply be a plug adapter we can put on the end of a destination charger handle and it has the j1772 connector built in. It this correct? Why do you think this cable adapter has a communication link.

I'm under the impression that Tesla supplied destination chargers for businesses have both Tesla and J1722 plugs -- the latter as a gesture towards helping other EVs. I'm pretty sure I've even seen it ...

SageBrush said:
I'm under the impression that Tesla supplied destination chargers for businesses have both Tesla and J1722 plugs -- the latter as a gesture towards helping other EVs. I'm pretty sure I've even seen it ...

Some, not all. Some business owners chose the Tesla connector only for a slightly lower price.

Back