End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just visited my purchasing dealer for my 2014 Leaf on lease expiring 4/17. Asked about residual discounts, etc. Was told that Nissan wasn't offering any discounts on the 2014's, as they knew that the residuals were way off for the 12's & 13's. He knew that the 14's value was off as well, but said that NMAC wasn't offering anything off as of yet.

pasadenaleaf said:
I have a lease on a 2014 that's ending in April 2017.

I tried calling a few Nissan dealerships to buy out the lease and they told me there's no discounts ($144xx + fees) They told me the discounts are only available on the 2013 model. Is that true?

Don"t know about 2014, but there were big discounts on 2015 models in December.

the dealership tried to sell me a 2013 with 18k miles for $9800 + fee instead. A lot cheaper than the $144xx lease buy out. I am hoping to get the lease buyout at $7-8k.

Keep trying between now and then. 2013's are all over ebay right now for $8,500 and the pricing is going down as the number of turn ins goes up. March 2014 was the biggest selling month ever for the Leaf which means it will also be the biggest turn in month in 2017 ever. Auction pricing in April and May will hit rock bottom on any turn in with over 36,000 where I expect the retail price to be below $8,000.

sendler2112 said:
Keep trying between now and then. 2013's are all over ebay right now for $8,500 and the pricing is going down as the number of turn ins goes up. March 2014 was the biggest selling month ever for the Leaf which means it will also be the biggest turn in month in 2017 ever. Auction pricing in April and May will hit rock bottom on any turn in with over 36,000 where I expect the retail price to be below $8,000.

If i have around 28k miles, should I try hard to get to 36000 between now and April??? Would that help with anything?

Any car is worth less if it is out of the factory warranty even by 1 mile. But in your case The dealers will no doubt be stubborn and over confident. So you will probably just end up turning that car in and buying a different one from the corner lot off of craigslist for $8000 while the dealer tells you the best they can do on yours is $13000. And then Nissan will get stuck with it, send it to the auction, where the used car guy will buy it for $5000 all day long with many to choose from, and sell it to me for $8000. The dealer loses. You lose because you wanted your own car. Nissan takes a bath. The used car guy makes more money than a new car dealer on ever car he sells. And we both end up with a nice off lease 2014 Leaf with 37000 miles for $8000.

I agree that the over confidence of the dealers and NMAC is frustrating. If a decent offer was given, we would buy our car out today. As it stands, I went into a Chevy dealership today and placed a non binding / no deposit required order on a Bolt. Dealership said that they would have no problem selling if I didn't want it. Figure if I am getting a new car, I am going to get one with more range and some of the extras (dynamic cruise, collision alert, etc) that Leaf isn't currently offering.

Are you thinking of buying a Bolt or leasing? Because if the latter, you should know that GM is making it unworkable to buy a Bolt off-lease. They are keeping $5k of the Federal tax credit, giving you $2500 for the lease, and inflating the residual by $5k, supposedly to save you money on the lease. The leases, though, will start at over $300 and top out at over $500, with astronomical residuals. 58%, IIRC. I'm pretty disgusted.

Waiting for their numbers to come in. Probably looking at buying, as we normally keep cars for 10 years. This was our first lease. Dealership didn't even have the lease numbers yet, as deliveries have only been West Coast so far. I made it clear that the 2017 Leaf would be a competitor and that pricing would play a large factor in my overall decision.

Why spend $37,000 on a Bolt if you are happy with your Leaf? You can buy a 2013 (or 2014 if you wait until March) Leaf with 37,000 miles for $9,000. Drive it for 4 more years. Spend $6,500 for a new battery, and drive it for another 7 years and have $15,000 into it. Check ebay. They are everywhere. And will get more plentifull as we head into 2017.

So if my lease buy out doesn't happen and I buy a 2013 with 20k miles for around $8, do you guys think that's a good idea?

What happens when there are issues with the car? I assume most small repair shops won't be able to deal with it since they aren't familiar with EVs?

My Leaf has been great so far but I just don't know what it will be like when the car gets older.

sendler2112 said:
You will have the $20,000 savings to make repairs. A used Leaf is the best value in cars right now.

How do you think that compares to the cost of just owning a used car like a Corolla?

sendler2112 said:
ok. Among the best. Shop for a used car lately? Try buying a 2014 corolla with 37,000 miles for $8,000.

You won't. But they also don't have expensive batteries that need to be replaced and any shop can work on them. Resell value is also higher.

I am just trying to get some feedback as to if buying a used Leaf will make sense economically compared to other low end cars.

pasadenaleaf said:
sendler2112 said:
ok. Among the best. Shop for a used car lately? Try buying a 2014 corolla with 37,000 miles for $8,000.

You won't. But they also don't have expensive batteries that need to be replaced and any shop can work on them. Resell value is also higher.

I am just trying to get some feedback as to if buying a used Leaf will make sense economically compared to other low end cars.

Any shop can work on the leaf as well. My AC went out on my 2013, and I took that to my neighborhood mechanic no problem. The electric motor, battery, and inverter aren't supposed to "wear out" and are covered by the power-train warranty. That's why the zero maintenance except for tire-rotations, washer fluid, and battery checks.

Granted, whether or not things will REALLY play out that way isn't guaranteed, but there's been enough anecdotal evidence to show that you won't be surprised with any sudden failures (battery degrades gradually). Hope this helps!

pasadenaleaf said:

Well now you are going outside of the altruistic reasons of why anyone would even be reading this forum. Do you want to keep burning gas? And then consider what the operating expenses would be if gas were carbon taxed to $9.00/ gallon as it should be to get people to quit buying pick up trucks to drive back and forth to work in. Would you want an EV then?

sendler2112 said:
pasadenaleaf said:
And then consider what the operating expenses would be if gas were carbon taxed to $9.00/ gallon as it should be to get people to quit buying pick up trucks to drive back and forth to work in. Would you want an EV then?

Yes, I would want an EV then but that's not likely to happened.

Hi,
I have Nissan Leaf 2014 and Lease will expire Nov,2017. But I want to buy it out now with cash payment. I heard currently dealer is offering a discount instead of Nissan Finance.
I want to know how much discount we can get for early buy out? Do we need to pay the lease for remaining months if we buy it now.
Thx

Back