The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, I finally took the plunge after 2 years of research here and elsewhere. Paid $32,400 OTD for a fully loaded 2016 SL with every option! I wanted white and the Bose system. After fed and state rebate it will cost me $22,400, minus the $11,000 I got from my insurance for a beat up 2008 Prius we totaled, total cost will be under $12k, not bad!

I actually set out to get a used one, a 2013 SL with 30k miles in really nice shape for $9500 but was surprised to find it didn't have any backup camera! What's up with that? A drive around the corner to Montclair Nissan and next thing you know I am signing away on a new one. The extra battery capacity did it for my wife, who was afraid of range anxiety. Plus it had the bird's eye camera, bose sound and every other option.

I'd share a pic but don't have the car yet! They had to get from another dealer that had it on show at a nearby mall! Nothing more disappointing than signing a new car loan and going home in your old car! :( Sam, the fleet manager, will personally deliver it to our home on Monday. :D

So now we have a 2013 Chevy Volt, which I love but it's a bit big for my wife. A 2014 Subaru Impreza AWD for road trips and going to our Arrowhead cabin in the snow, and the Leaf which will be the commuter car for my wife.

voltiar said:
Yea, I finally took the plunge after 2 years of research here and elsewhere. Paid $32,400 OTD for a fully loaded 2016 SL with every option! I wanted white and the Bose system. After fed and state rebate it will cost me $22,400, minus the $11,000 I got from my insurance for a beat up 2008 Prius we totaled, total cost will be under $12k, not bad!

I actually set out to get a used one, a 2013 SL with 30k miles in really nice shape for $9500 but was surprised to find it didn't have any backup camera! What's up with that? A drive around the corner to Montclair Nissan and next thing you know I am signing away on a new one. The extra battery capacity did it for my wife, who was afraid of range anxiety. Plus it had the bird's eye camera, bose sound and every other option.

I'd share a pic but don't have the car yet! They had to get from another dealer that had it on show at a nearby mall! Nothing more disappointing than signing a new car loan and going home in your old car! :( Sam, the fleet manager, will personally deliver it to our home on Monday. :D

So now we have a 2013 Chevy Volt, which I love but it's a bit big for my wife. A 2014 Subaru Impreza AWD for road trips and going to our Arrowhead cabin in the snow, and the Leaf which will be the commuter car for my wife.

surprised it was that much. how much off MSRP did you get?

I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I think he took 2k off the MSRP, plus $6k off with two Nissan programs. Plus the 10k off for state/fed rebates, brought it to $22k with tax, license and all fees. And it was zero interest. So we financed the entire amount and taking the $20k we have from the rebates and payoff of our Prius and paying off the balance of our home. Why not maximize a zero interest loan?

I thought that was pretty good for a loaded SL. I guess I could have shopped around more, but this dealer got very good reviews and to be honest, we set out to get a car that day and darnit, that's what we were gonna do!

voltiar said:
I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I think he took 2k off the MSRP, plus $6k off with two Nissan programs. Plus the 10k off for state/fed rebates, brought it to $22k with tax, license and all fees. And it was zero interest. So we financed the entire amount and taking the $20k we have from the rebates and payoff of our Prius and paying off the balance of our home. Why not maximize a zero interest loan?

I thought that was pretty good for a loaded SL. I guess I could have shopped around more, but this dealer got very good reviews and to be honest, we set out to get a car that day and darnit, that's what we were gonna do!

ok, sounds right. guess I am not used to the sales tax thing. but there is a 7500/7500 promo going where you get one from Nissan, one from the feds. well you got $2,000 and $6,000 which is more so I guess that adds up sort of? There is regional differences in deals but I have seen the $7500 in a few different areas

Yea, there was an $8k Nissan promo that he used. But for some reason he took $2k off the MSRP then gave us $6k off so it worked out the same. Probably some funny math to get him a bigger commision or something, who knows? All I know is $22k OTD (after all rebates) seemed pretty darn cheap for a brand new, fully loaded electric car with 108 mile range. When I was shopping a couple years ago, no deals like that were to be had.

I probably could have gotten a better deal but just didn't want to do the dance.

voltiar said:
Yea, I finally took the plunge after 2 years of research here and elsewhere. Paid $32,400 OTD for a fully loaded 2016 SL with every option!

Are you sure you got everything? Check for:
DC charging port
6,6kW charger
solar panel
LED headlights
360 cameras
BOSE (you have for sure)
Leather interior
Steering wheel heater, 3x seat heaters, 2x door mirrors
Heat pump
30kWh battery (not 24kWh)
rain sensor
tinted windows
auto-dimming rearview mirror (not available for tinted cars)
homelink
splashguards
floor and cargo area mats
hologram kickplates
17" wheels dual color
speed limiter (not available in US most likely)
extendable sun visors (not available in EU)
DRL lights (standard in EU) integrated in foglights.

YES DC charging port
YES 6,6kW charger
YES Solar Panel
YES LED headlights
YES 360 cameras
YES BOSE (you have for sure)
YES Leather interior
YES Steering wheel heater, 3x seat heaters, 2x door mirrors
YES Heat pump
YES 30kWh battery (not 24kWh)
YES rain sensor
Not sure. tinted windows
Not sure. auto-dimming rearview mirror (not available for tinted cars)
YES homelink
YES splashguards
Not sure. floor and cargo area mats
YES hologram kickplates
YES 17" wheels dual color
Not sure. speed limiter (not available in US most likely)
Not sure. extendable sun visors (not available in EU)
Not sure. DRL lights (standard in EU) integrated in foglights

I guess I'll find out Monday when they deliver!

voltiar said:

ok, your deal sounds exactly like someone elses deal they were literally seconds away from signing but after being advised by several other people, they checked on another dealer who is VERY highly rated who offered them a "much better deal" without even knowing the parameters of the deal they were about to sign. hopefully we will learn some details today when they pick up their car...

After driving a Wheego Whip Low Speed Neighborhood EV for a few years, I glad to now be driving a Leaf S. I'm leary of used car dealers, yet Diviton Auto Group in Arlington, TX had several Leafs and provided both a good value and a positive experience. I paid $8K for 2014 Leaf S with 19K miles which came with tinted windows and the Quick Charge, 6.6 Kw option. I presume the original leaser kept it garaged because it is pristine, with not even a door ding, yet. My daily drive is about 10 miles and I really like the heated seats & steering wheel on cool mornings.
Before buying it, I took it to our local Nissan Dealer, Don Davis, where the warranty battery check was no charge, while a pre-purchase inspection is $99. 82% State of Health seemed low, but later made sense on a Texas car when I learned it had over 140 quick charges. I now have the Leaf Spy App but didn't when I bought it. With hindsight, I'd liked to have had that information before buying. I don't think it would have changed my mind. With 30 months months of 8 bar battery warranty, I'll see how the next couple Texas summers affect capacity. It's still showing 11 bars, though I don't know much longer.
Though the trickle charger works fine, a few weeks ago, I built an open evse kit which I really like. It's nice to have faster charging options and the ability to vary amp draw if needed.

We've been driving a 2014 SV since June of 2014. It started with a 2-year lease, which Nissan Finance extended this past June for a third year. Yesterday I took an offer I couldn't really refuse: a 2016 SV on a new 2-year lease, with early return of the 2014 and a smaller monthly lease payment on the new car. (A big selling point is the bigger battery and better range of the newer car. While I don't need the additional range, the bigger battery makes the car a better long-term bet for me, since a diminished battery capacity wouldn't restrict the way we use the car.) So we are in the new car, as of yesterday.

I do have a complaint, and it isn't completely trivial. The 2014 SV had LED headlights with automatic on-off. The new SV has halogen lights with a manual headlight switch. The halogen lights provide poor illumination, and this is the first car we have had in a dozen years or more that doesn't have automatic headlights.

raleedy said:
We've been driving a 2014 SV since June of 2014. It started with a 2-year lease, which Nissan Finance extended this past June for a third year. Yesterday I took an offer I couldn't really refuse: a 2016 SV on a new 2-year lease, with early return of the 2014 and a smaller monthly lease payment on the new car. (A big selling point is the bigger battery and better range of the newer car. While I don't need the additional range, the bigger battery makes the car a better long-term bet for me, since a diminished battery capacity wouldn't restrict the way we use the car.) So we are in the new car, as of yesterday.

I do have a complaint, and it isn't completely trivial. The 2014 SV had LED headlights with automatic on-off. The new SV has halogen lights with a manual headlight switch. The halogen lights provide poor illumination, and this is the first car we have had in a dozen years or more that doesn't have automatic headlights.

I recommend to buy bulbs that are much better (also more expensive, OEM halogen bulb costs like 3-4€).
Osram Night Breaker Unlimited or Osram Night Breaker Laser Or Philips Xtremevision.
They cost like 20-30€, last half as much but give much more light.

Are you sure you don't have automatic mode called AUTO? Maybe you have OFF that keeps DRLs on? Also totally OK to drive with DRLs.

Believe me LED lights are NOT as good as you thing there were. I've driven both, LEDs look bright but give bad results in bad/wet weather.

arnis said:
I recommend to buy bulbs that are much better (also more expensive, OEM halogen bulb costs like 3-4€).
Osram Night Breaker Unlimited or Osram Night Breaker Laser Or Philips Xtremevision.

Are you sure you don't have automatic mode called AUTO? Maybe you have OFF that keeps DRLs on? Also totally OK to drive with DRLs.

Believe me LED lights are NOT as good as you thing there were. I've driven both, LEDs look bright but give bad results in bad/wet weather.

This is helpful, thank you. I assume the brighter halogen bulbs consume more power, but that isn't much of a concern for us.
Unfortunately, no DRL's, no AUTO switch position on this car as equipped.

I just got my Leaf. So far I have not figured out setting the timer for the heater. Can I control it with my iPhone as well? Tom

raleedy said:
arnis said:

This is helpful, thank you. I assume the brighter halogen bulbs consume more power, but that isn't much of a concern for us.
Unfortunately, no DRL's, no AUTO switch position on this car as equipped.

No. More bright bulbs do not consume more power. They just glow brighter/hotter due to filament design.
Due to thinner wire it burns out faster (250hours for bright bulb and 500 for average brightness).
To save on those bulbs you should consider adding DRL-l if you are allowed to modify the vehicle.
Do you have front fog light housings in the bumper? Or those are blanked out?

Actually LED-s do not have any measurable range improvement - this is just a lie from Nissan.
Halogen bulbs consume 55+55W, LEDs 21+21W. Saving only 68W of power. It is like adding 1 notch fan speed on climate control.

Thank you to the many forum contributors who made the research on this much easier, although I still have a few questions.

I decided to take a chance and just picked up a 2013 SL that has quite a few options available that year including all around display and BOSE. I figured if it didn't work out for me, it could become a family car for my kids who are approaching driving age.

My normal commute is 66 miles round trip, although the return trip drives more like 40 miles due to elevation change. I always have 3kw L2 charging available at work (and at home). I was initially concerned about having enough range to make it at colder temperatures and when battery degradation started to rear its ugly head, but this car still indicates in the high 20's of miles remaining on the GOM after the return trip, so hopefully I won't have any problems for a while. Worst case is that I'll drive my Volt more, although this loaded Leaf has much better creature comforts for wintertime than my Base Volt.

I saw enough on here to know that 2g telemetry needed to be upgraded, so I have the parts on order as part of the sales transaction. Can anyone tell me whether the newer 3g telemetry uses the same application, Carwings or something else? Are there links where I can learn a little more about it? The main thing I've missed so far (compared to Volt) is the ability to Remote Start or Precondition with the keyfob. If that is possible can someone share? I'm assuming I need Carwings or the replacement for that purpose.

I ran a quick LeafSpy Lite report on this 12 bar car and I'm hoping the numbers are consistent with around what it should have. AHr = 63.61, SOH = 97% and Hx 97.65% for a 26,000 mile car with what I thought were high numbers of charges 25QC and 1871 L1/L2. Does this look consistent with a car that has spent its life in Western PA? Where can I find the number of GIDS and what is gained with LeafSpy Pro?

Just purchased a CPO 2015 SV+QC with 22,000 miles on it in NE Ohio for just over $12,000 after tax. It was originally a two year lease in Georgia so I was a bit worried about degradation from the heat but Leaf Spy reported a SOH of 95%. I pick it up in a few days since I wanted them to get the 3g telematics upgrade done before I take delivery. My daily driving is about 40 miles so I'm just going to use L1 charging until I have a family friend install a 240 outlet in my garage come spring. I test drove it today when it was 15F with the heat on and it looks like it should be fine for my drive. Worst case scenario the dealership I bought it from has free L2 and is halfway between work and home, and there's a L3 charger at the walmart on my route.

My wife has a 2012 Rav4 so we've got an option for longer trips. If the weather gets too cold we might swap cars since she drives easily half the distance I do. We've got a few 50 mile one way trips we do so once I get used to driving it I'm going to try to do them. Probably once it warms up in the spring. Thankfully there are QC stations in several locations along the route in case the battery is running a little too low.

magico13 said:
Just purchased a CPO 2015 SV+QC with 22,000 miles on it in NE Ohio for just over $12,000 after tax.

Any chance this was the red one in Cuyahoga Falls? I tried to shop that one but it was out and away on Monday with several other people waiting to look at it when it came back, and the 2013 SV they had wouldn't become available until I was out of the area the next day. Just curious, since I stopped through to look at a few there and at a non-Nissan dealer. I found the one that suited me in Pittsburgh area later that day. Used Leafs were surprisingly popular in the area.

silverone said:
magico13 said:
Just purchased a CPO 2015 SV+QC with 22,000 miles on it in NE Ohio for just over $12,000 after tax.

Any chance this was the red one in Cuyahoga Falls? I tried to shop that one but it was out and away on Monday with several other people waiting to look at it when it came back, and the 2013 SV they had wouldn't become available until I was out of the area the next day. Just curious, since I stopped through to look at a few there and at a non-Nissan dealer. I found the one that suited me in Pittsburgh area later that day. Used Leafs were surprisingly popular in the area.

I believe the red one was an SL. I was considering it, but there was a black SV that suited me at I90 Nissan in Sheffield Village that was also closer and cheaper. I inquired about the 2013 SV in Cuyahoga Falls, but when they updated the pictures online it was a totally different car (the original pictures were a gun metallic with QC and the new ones were a silver with no QC but premium package). I needed QC for visiting family 50 miles away. The one I went with was a bit pricier than the others in the area but was also a CPO and I had a very pleasant experience with the salesperson. One of the very first things he did was warn me that the range in winter drops noticeably and he seemed fairly knowledgeable about EVs compared to other stories I've read. I ended up teaching him stuff though since I've been researching like crazy for several weeks.

Not sure when they'll take the listing down, but here it is: http://www.bignissani90.com/used-Avon+Lake-2015-Nissan-LEAF-4dr+HB+SV-1N4AZ0CP6FC314302

melvin33 said:
I just got my Leaf. So far I have not figured out setting the timer for the heater. Can I control it with my iPhone as well? Tom
Do you have an S, or an SV/SL? The answer is different depending on the model. The S does not allow you to control the heating/cooling system with a smart phone app. The SV/SL do. The workings of the timer is also somewhat different between models but explained in the manual. Frankly, I don't find the timer to be all that useful. In cold weather (with the car plugged into my L2 charger), I just go out and turn on the heating system 15-20 minutes before I plan to leave home.

Hi all, new member. Bought a red 2015 S with quick charge today; 19,400 miles, $8,500, 99% SOH, 95% Hx. Really happy with this car; giddy actually, like a teenager with a 1st car.

I contemplated a 2017, but even with $10k KCP&L rebate and $7,500 tax credit, with invoice price, it still would have cost $16k with sales and property taxes. This 2015 is in great shape for half that. Another lease return from GA.

Here is why I love it so far:

Near silent driving, just tires, wind, and other noisy cars; very peaceful. I'm an electrical engineer, so I like the hum from the 5 kHz inverter.

The regenerative braking is awesome. Already changing my driving habits. Timing the lights, hills, and traffic for maximum regen, though I'm sure the people behind me hate it. I just keep it in eco mode, though I did turn that off today to demonstrate to a buddy that it does have some torque.

I'm 6'5" and this thing has great headroom, though actually the vertical field of view is awesome. I can sit upright and still have a few inches vertical clearance of the windshield above my field of view. No more staring at the sun visor and tilting sideways to see stop lights. I was contemplating a Mercedes commercial van since I was so sick of stooping; but no need now. Plenty of legroom with the seat back, and room for my kids behind. There is more room in this compact car than my 4 door Tacoma. It also doesn't have one of those damn cab-forward cabins with monstrous dashes like so many big-three sedans (think rental car). This is more of vertical profile, like a truck, the way cars were 20+ years ago.

I sought out the S model due to simplicity. No nav system to go obsolete; just a basic radio and backup camera. Navigation is what a phone is for these days. The iPhone connection works perfect; charges my phone via the USB and plays audio; though I was surprised it shows album artwork. Anyway, very nice. I don't want Bluetooth (too troublesome and unreliable). Just basic wired connection and it works perfect.

Anyway, now to install a sub-panel in the garage with an EVSE; definetly going with the 50A Open EVSE kit. Did a QC tonight to 80%. Awesome that it's free here in Kansas City with many charging spots. Walked over to Autozone to get some rubber floor mats, then monitored charge-up with LeafSpy (another awesome tool). Anyway, I'm in love with this car.

Back