NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was working here on the 3rd. Remote Climate activation failed on the morning of the 4th, prior to my appointment. I had my modem upgraded on the 4th. It's not working, yet, but has barely been 24 hours since it was done.

jjeff said:
I don't suppose you use LeafDD? It sounds like the upgrade may kind of break LeafDD, well it's ability to instantaneously update things anyway :( Just wondering if you've noticed any changes like that? If not LeafDD do you use LeafSpy and any changes in that?

The TCU upgrade does affect the operation of LeafDD (see the LeafDD thread for details).
It had no affect on LeafSpy (it doesn't have a "charging" mode).

Asia93 said:
Here is the help number: 1-855-426-6628

They told me the TCU number on my carwings setting was not showing a number which indicated the dealer did not complete the job and I have to take it back there. Good luck!

A similar experience: After a couple of hours of work on this (and two interrupted Chat sessions with Nissan), I was told that my TCU Phone Number setting—that was showing four asterisks—should have about 13 numbers in it and that I will need to go back to the dealership and ask them to reset the unit so that it can reload all the numbers it needs. To find the TCU Phone Number, go to Carwings screen that includes the option to Sign In (don’t sign in—just find that screen). Lower down on that screen is a selection called Unit ID Information. When you select it you see a lot of fields with a bunch of numbers or, as in my case, you see asterisks where there ought to be a bunch of numbers. Not sure why Nissan couldn’t send step by step directions to their dealers (or why the dealers couldn’t read them).

UPDATE-Tonight when I got home I re-entered the password and pin and this time it connected and seems to be working fine. The tech at my Nissan dealer (like many of you) had been skeptical that the four asterisks were the problem. Guess y'all were right to be skeptical.

I just got back from my upgrade. Similar story to what others are telling, here's the tech notes from mine (2011):

Performed TCU Customer Satisfaction Initiative PC449.
Attempted to sign in with CarWings, "Connection to center failed" displayed. Contacted Tech Line for additional information. Was advised to remove fuse 34 from fuse link box for 10 seconds or more, re-install and re-check system operation. Removed fuse as instructed, re-installed after allotted time, rechecked system operation, icon and ID information no longer present. Cycled power button, icon and ID information returned. Rechecked connection operation, connection still failed. Was advised incident is currently under investigation. No other recommendations provided at this time.

On the way home I tried to reconnect with the existing credentials, which appeared to work initially, but then could not get a connection to actually download anything. My TCU phone number also has the "****" indication...so I'm wondering what this all means. It's becoming clear neither the dealers or Nissan know either. This is unreasonable, they have had the better part of a year to figure this out!

mschurig01 said:
Just got 3G TCU upgrade last Monday, tested at the dealership before leaving and worked great. When I got home and tried, not so great...failure to connect. Haven't had success since. Contacted Leaf consumer line but have only gotten the run around stating they are looking into the situation and trying to find a fix.
Anyone else had this problem since the 3G upgrade?
Very frustrated...

Here's a stumper! Got my TCU replaced about 3 weeks ago and it began working after about 48 hours - thought I was in the clear!. All of the sudden yesterday I got the failure to connect. I went in to check the Unit ID information through the dash display and the TCU ID, Phone #, SIM ID, and VIN are all asterisks. Called Nissan and they said that I'll have to return to the dealer. I'm preparing myself for a massive run around. Any suggestions welcomed...

Here's a stumper! Got my TCU replaced about 3 weeks ago and it began working after about 48 hours - thought I was in the clear!. All of the sudden yesterday I got the failure to connect. I went in to check the Unit ID information through the dash display and the TCU ID, Phone #, SIM ID, and VIN are all asterisks. Called Nissan and they said that I'll have to return to the dealer. I'm preparing myself for a massive run around. Any suggestions welcomed...[/quote]

I hope you had a chance to write down or photo all the numbers for the TCU and SIM IDs, as I bet you that those are the first bits of data that the dealer may need to reactivate\register your TCU -- just my guess!

I sure wish I had the forethought to have written those ID's down but I didn't... Given my current circumstances, I recommend that others with a new TCU take a moment to jot their ID's down. In my case, the plot just thickened. I was just able to start remote heating from the app! However, if I try to use the screen in the car to update charging locations or anything else, I get the error message " the connection to the center failed(B02)". I have tried repeatedly to use the sign-in process butt get the same error message. I suppose as long as I can heat and cool the car with the app, I may just delay taking it back to the dealer for the "fix".

An update after my earlier post...

I still have never once been able to connect after the TCU upgrade on Dec 27th. (Everything was still working fine before the upgrade).

I spent an hour on the phone with Nissan on Tuesday, then another half hour on Wednesday. I was told that I needed to try "update stations" 5 times at two different locations. It failed all 10 times. I was also supposed to try, from either the app or the web site, to refresh the current charge status 5 times at two different locations. Of course, that failed too (10 times)... no surprise since I am unable to even sign in.

I reported the failures and locations in the Wednesday call, at which point my case was "escalated to Level 2" and I'm waiting to hear back from Nissan.

FWIW, I also have 4 astericks for my TCU phone number. But, I also have a photograph of the "Unit ID information" screen from *before* the TCU upgrade (when everything still worked just fine with the 2G TCU) and there were 4 astericks then too. I have my doubts that this has anything to do with the problem.

Jeff

JeffInCO said:
An update after my earlier post...
FWIW, I also have 4 astericks for my TCU phone number. But, I also have a photograph of the "Unit ID information" screen from *before* the TCU upgrade (when everything still worked just fine with the 2G TCU) and there were 4 astericks then too. I have my doubts that this has anything to do with the problem.

Interesting detail! I had a theory after reading the tech notes which I posted previously, I wonder if he pulled fuse 34 with the car turned on or turned off? If the goal is to reset the TCU, I would think you'd have to do it with the car turned off...but from what he wrote I think he did it with the car turned on. I'm considering whether it makes sense to give it a try myself...

jdcbomb said:
jdcbomb said:
jdcbomb said:
Update: Service team at dealer informed me there is some kind of technical issue / outage affecting all "new" "just registered" TCU units attempting to communicate with the server. Next update not until Monday.

Update: When attempting to login in CarWings...the screen continues to show "unable to connect" message. My TCU was replaced about 5 days ago, so it should have been registered by now. Anyone else with very recent (last week) upgrades not able to connect?

Update: Now a week later, car continues to show "failed" connection error when attempting to sign-in. Called Nissan Connect Support and they are making me go back to the dealer as several Vehicle IDs are missing from the system screen (TCU ID, SIM ID, etc). I'm a little pissed off as this dealer has done replacements before. I may be demanding a partial refund for them to fix this.

Update: Its been more than a week now. The dealer replaced the TCU again! Even with that, when the tech called Nissan Support (their internal support) to confirm radio activation, they now are being told it could be one two WEEKS before the issue can be resolved. When sending the PIN / PW a connection error shows up. My initial TCU replacement had missing system IDs...but then magically appeared and disappeared again. The new one is exhibiting the same behavior. I'm wondering if I should demand Nissan compensate / refund me for this waste of time.

Plugg said:
I went in to check the Unit ID information through the dash display and the TCU ID, Phone #, SIM ID, and VIN are all asterisks.

Those items are all asterisks all the time, so I don't see how anyone could write them down...unless they are visible when the car is connect to Consult or being configured.

JeffInCO said:

You are correct: they are always asterisks. I suspect the info is only visible in some sort of configuration mode.

I had the 3G service done about 48 hours ago. Still not able to connect fully.

The car can 'authenticate' with the center when I 'sign in' from carwings settings. Car appears to have a strong signal too. All numbers populated, except TCU Phone # (asterisks for that).

If I try to refresh from the owner portal, it comes back with "Your request to update vehicle status timed out communicating to the vehicle. Please try your request again. Also ensure your vehicle is located in an area with cellular reception and it has been driven within the last 14 days."

I've deleted my car from the owner's portal, and worked with nissan chat to add it back in and to look at some more settings. Had to end the chat after 20 minutes to leave for work without any progress made other than adding the car back to the owners portal.

I guess my next steps are to either call or try chat again.

I had my TCU upgraded on Wednesday. I waited 48 hours to try logging back in from the car. Today the UNIT ID shows, but the rest show ****. Nissan Connect suggested I contact the dealership. The dealership tried submitting the IMEI again, and suggested I wait 24-48 hours and try again. Hopefully a fix becomes available soon.

Back