2017 Prius Prime PHEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarthPuppy said:
Saw it at the La Auto Show today. I liked it a lot. IMO better styling than the new Prius.

You did look at the back of it, right?

toyota-prius-prime-0764.0.png

I would say the back end is worse than that of its non-plug-in sibling.

LOL! Difference of opinion on this. Compared to the previous gen Prii, no the Prime rear end is worse. But IMO compared to the new Prius, this is better, though that was an exceptionally low bar to clear. :roll:

And my liking it a lot was my assessment of the totality, not the rear end.

Prius Prime is part of Gen 4. Gen 4 Prius began w/model year 2016 but there was no PiP version until this Prius Prime that didn't start shipping until last month.

Gen 3 was model year 2010 to 2015 w/mid-cycle refresh w/model year 2012 including some exterior tweaks.

IMHO, Gen 3 Prius was the pinnacle of Prius styling. Gen 4 non-plugin is horrible. :( Prius Prime fixes the front and mostly fixes the rear. To me, the Prius Prime overall looks a lot better than the Gen 4 non-plugin.

I'd finally test driven a Prius Prime a few weeks ago and saw the tail at night. It's a huge improvement over the funky taillights at night on the non-plugin.

My housemate just bought her 2013 PIP a couple of months ago. Now it's charging most, but not all of the time. The gaskets in both the EVSE plug and car's socket look fine. I hope that's covered under the emissions warranty.

Via IEVS, Dec. Prime sales 1,641, which puts it in 6th place for the month in only its second (first full) month on sale. How much of this is due to newness, how much to buying by the end of the year to get the tax credit, and how much is sustainable remains to be seen, but my guess is that the Prime is likely to be the best selling PEV in the country for 2017, given its relatively low price, adequate AER and huge base of satisfied Prius customers.

I cannot see the appeal of the Prius Prime. What can you say about it?

- It goes almost half as far as the Volt 2 on batteries.
- It has 80% as many seats as the Volt 2.
- It's twice as ugly as the Volt 2.
- If you stare at its rear long enough, you see Optimus Prime. :D

It appears it has three things going for it:
- It costs 90% as much as the Volt 2.
- It goes 29% farther on a gallon of gas than the Volt 2.
- It has 87% more cargo volume than the Volt 2.

OK, perhaps that last one would win over some owners. Still, I think most will have difficulty choosing the Prius Prime over the Chevy Volt.

If these do become popular, expect to find Prius Primes clogging EVSEs everywhere. :evil:

RegGuheert said:
If these do become popular, expect to find Prius Primes clogging EVSEs everywhere.
VERY unlikely, since the Prime charger is 3.3 kW and public chargers are mostly pay by the hour. Prime is the penultimate charge at home, use petrol for distance car.

Second, the GHG emissions from a grid charged car are cleaner at all ranges in a Prime than a volt unless the grid is sourced from cleaner than NGe.

Third, Prius reliability and Toyota Customer Support are outstanding. Chevrolet/GM are .... well documented.

VERY unlikely, since the Prime charger is 3.3 kW and public chargers are mostly pay by the hour.

That's way too general a statement. Most public charging stations are free here, with only the DC QC stations being pay. PHEVs hogging stations are already a problem here in Winter.

Most public charge points here are $0.49/kWh. That's the same for the 3.3kW Prius Prime and the 7.2kW eGolf. For the Prius, it is far more expensive than gas. That's true for all PHEVs on the market. So unless someone is trying to make a statement (or simply doesn't know better), noone would charge any PHEV in public.

GetOffYourGas said:
Most public charge points here are $0.49/kWh. That's the same for the 3.3kW Prius Prime and the 7.2kW eGolf. For the Prius, it is far more expensive than gas. That's true for all PHEVs on the market. So unless someone is trying to make a statement (or simply doesn't know better), noone would charge any PHEV in public.

In your location. You seem unconcerned by what happens in the rest of the country, so I'll stop trying to explain it. Hopefully there will be another round of charging station buildups for the Bolt and the point will be moot.

RegGuheert said:
SageBrush said:
Third, Prius reliability and Toyota Customer Support are outstanding. Chevrolet/GM are .... well documented.
Yes, they are: The Chevy Volt topped the charts for customer satisfaction for multiple years. In other words, the Chevy Volt beat the Toyota Prius.

I do not own a Chevy Volt, but many on this forum own one or more of them. I have read very few negative comments from Volt owners.

That is over four years old.
However, the Volt is still very high on the list. It is #3 at 90%, just behind the Covette at #2 and the Model S at #1.
While the Volt scores very high, GM as a whole, especially its dealers, do not.

So I would agree that GM reliability and customer support are lacking in general.

Zythryn said:
However, the Volt is still very high on the list. It is #3 at 90%, just behind the Covette at #2 and the Model S at #1.

So I would agree that GM reliability and customer support are lacking in general.
And last year it was #2 behind the Model S. In other words, the Chevy Volt has beaten EVERY Toyota Priusin customer satisfaction EVERY year that it has been on the market. And the PiP is not even close in this regard (69% versus 85% for the Volt last year).

Again, to say that someone should choose a Toyota Prius over a Chevy Volt because "Prius reliability and Toyota Customer Support are outstanding" is nonsense and not based on the facts of the two cars' reputations.

RegGuheert said:
I cannot see the appeal of the Prius Prime. What can you say about it?

- It goes almost half as far as the Volt 2 on batteries.
- It has 80% as many seats as the Volt 2.
- It's twice as ugly as the Volt 2.
- If you stare at its rear long enough, you see Optimus Prime. :D

It appears it has three things going for it:
- It costs 90% as much as the Volt 2.
- It goes 29% farther on a gallon of gas than the Volt 2.
- It has 87% more cargo volume than the Volt 2.

OK, perhaps that last one would win over some owners. Still, I think most will have difficulty choosing the Prius Prime over the Chevy Volt.

If these do become popular, expect to find Prius Primes clogging EVSEs everywhere. :evil:
-For me the 4 passenger thing is kind of a deal breaker, wish it wasn't but it was one of the things that turned me off of the original gen1 Volt, didn't Toyota learn anything from Chevrolet's mistake :?
-I also find the Prime quite ugly, although I thought the same thing of our '07 Prius and it's kind of grown on me, I didn't like the later angular Prius's either.
-I too am not too excited by the minuscule range, on the right track from the original PiP which was a total joke, but what would it have cost Toyota to put in at least a 16kwh battery....again learn from Chevy's mistake....
-Going 29% further on a gallon of gas is a very important thing to me, and another one of the reasons I didn't purchase the Volt. I'm used to our Prius's 50mpg on the road and wouldn't want to get any worse than that, in that respect I like the Prime.
-More cargo/passenger room, probably the #1 reason I didn't get the Volt, too damn cramped, cramped in the front, cramped in the rear, cramped in cargo area, you get my drift, the Volt was just too damn cramped for my tastes, and I used to drive a Chevy(Geo Metro) which was small on the outside and large on the inside, and got 50mpg!

Even with it's relatively small battery the Prime might have been a somewhat decent option for a replacement for our 10 year old Prius, good for short EV trips and 50mpg going to FL but the 4 seat thing is a deal breaker, I'd have probably got over it's downright ugly looks too ;)

And I agree about vehicles like this plugging up public EVSEs, at least in my area. The only ones I use are free and generally open or 1/2 in use. When I charge my Leaf I have no other option to get around, someone with a Prime or even Volt does have another option, albeit one that would cost some money. True I could be just topping off and might not need the charge to get home but other times I need the charge to continue my trip and wouldn't be all too happy not being able to charge just because someone else doesn't want to burn his gas. I have no issues with this if EVSEs are open, I'm just talking about when all are full and a EV can't charge because PHEVs are using the EVSEs.
Of course I understand a Prime might pull in and there are open EVSEs and EV comes later taking the last EVSE, then another EV comes in and there are no open EVSEs, I don't know I guess there is no perfect way...

RegGuheert said:
Zythryn said:

And last year it was #2 behind the Model S. In other words, the Chevy Volt has beaten EVERY Toyota Priusin customer satisfaction EVERY year that it has been on the market. And the PiP is not even close in this regard (69% versus 85% for the Volt last year).

Again, to say that someone should choose a Toyota Prius over a Chevy Volt because "Prius reliability and Toyota Customer Support are outstanding" is nonsense and not based on the facts of the two cars' reputations.

I agree with the bolded part.
But that isn't what was claimed.
The claim was, based on reliability of the companies, not customer satisfaction of the specific models.

GM had an awful reliability rating in the 90s and early 2000s. They are working on that, and doing pretty well, especially with the Volt.
But they have a ways to go when it comes to repairing their reliability rep.

And frankly, I find Toyota dealers far better than Chevy dealers. If I were to buy a car from a dealer (which I doubt) I would pick a Toyota dealer over a GM dealer.

LeftieBiker said:
GetOffYourGas said:

In your location. You seem unconcerned by what happens in the rest of the country, so I'll stop trying to explain it. Hopefully there will be another round of charging station buildups for the Bolt and the point will be moot.

I am confused by your post.

Yes, I am talking about my location. That's why I said "here". You were talking about yours. I'm not sure why I "seem unconcerned by what happens in the rest of the country" or how you have been "trying to explain it". I was simply sharing one data point. No more. no less.

If Prius Primes utilize the public charge points properly, and in doing offset that much gas usage, I count that as a good thing. If, on the other hand, they hog the stations long after they are done charging, then that is a bad thing and something should be done about it.

Bottom line - free public charging should never be counted on. It is a nice perk, and that's about it. If you really want charging you can count on, you should be ready to pay for it.

As for the Bolt, I am with you 100%. I really hope that it sells well and creates a solid market for a robust/reliable public charging network.

If you were just writing that no one would charge a PHEV via pubic charging in Syracuse, in response to a post complaining that if the Prime became a popular car "everywhere" they would clog up public charging stations, then I'm the one who is confused, I guess. It doesn't matter.

RegGuheert said:
What part of "Prius reliability and Toyota Customer support are outstanding" are you disagreeing about ?

If you want to believe that GM and its dealership network match Toyota in customer support, well pardon me while I have a very hearty laugh at your expense.

Lastly, while I was not talking only about Volt reliability because I don't know details, the 2nd generation Volt has this going on
The Chevrolet Volt is “no longer recommended” as it is on a list of vehicles with “declining reliability.”
The kicker is “First-year reliability of the redesign has been well-below average,” says CR.
http://www.hybridcars.com/consumer-reports-names-tesla-volt-and-prius-among-winners-and-losers/

So let me connect the dots for you:

Car reliability:
Prime: Expected to be exemplary
Volt: At best, uncertain

Customer Support:
Toyota: Fantastic
GM: Lawyer up!

----
Unrelated to my prior statement, Toyota also quietly is a leader in green manufacturing while GM ... is a cesspool and a blight on society.

Back